Community Appreciation Post

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Community Appreciation Post

Post by Kraken »

I found GG when, as the producer of Pharaoh, I announced its gold master in the forums...and soon got a snippy note from Rich, who would've preferred that I had told him about it. I was immediately off on the wrong foot because I didn't understand what his site was all about.

I stuck around the forums to see what gamers were saying about Pharaoh and answer questions, and never left. My boss frowned on that because, he said, I always put the interests of the gamer ahead of the company line -- he nearly fired me once for acknowledging a bug. I walked on eggshells for a few years.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:37 am I found GG when, as the producer of Pharaoh
I still have t-shirt from that game in my closet. I had two of them, gave one to my mom and she wore the heck of it during the rest of her years.
Black Lives Matter
Austin

Post by Austin »

Lassr wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:42 pm
Austin wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:40 am I can't exactly recall how to use these forum things. Still less confusing than Reddit I guess. I think my Twitter handle might still be AustinOO. (Or OOAustin) I appreciate y'all. This was a great place to learn about games and learn other perspectives. There was probably more willingness here to hear the other side of a debate more than most other online places I've visited.

I miss the creative outlet afforded by the WW games. Y'all we came up with some cool ideas. My son will talk about playing Mafia with his youth group or something and I have to resist regaling him with tales of twins, explody wolves, and triggered events. (And Lassr... Ugh Laser as Six...)
:lol:

Hey Austin! I was just about to post that you disappeared from here but knew you were doing well from Facebook!
I sat for a while trying to recall your OO name. :lol:
stessier

Post by stessier »

Austin - blast from the past! Glad to see you're doing well. Now we need to hear from Chaosraven.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:25 am Austin - blast from the past! Glad to see you're doing well. Now we need to hear from Chaosraven.
You and me both. I live less than 10 miles a day and I haven't spoke to him in a year and a half. He went off the grid. Didn't even check his emails since I don't know when. When I was on FB I still talked to Chaosfarie here and there and she posted about him so I knew he was doing OK until I also left FB. Assume Remus still talks to him but I haven't spoken to Remus since the before times either. I want to say during his Christmas break. One day I may use my phone and call people. :oops: I was keeping in touch with redrun regularly until... well... March.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

As someone else who quit Facebook and other types of social media, I do find OO to be a nice outlet for online discussions. I'm glad OO is still here and mostly intact, especially since other forums have died or become cesspools.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:32 am
stessier wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:25 am Austin - blast from the past! Glad to see you're doing well. Now we need to hear from Chaosraven.
You and me both. I live less than 10 miles a day and I haven't spoke to him in a year and a half. He went off the grid. Didn't even check his emails since I don't know when. When I was on FB I still talked to Chaosfarie here and there and she posted about him so I knew he was doing OK until I also left FB. Assume Remus still talks to him but I haven't spoken to Remus since the before times either. I want to say during his Christmas break. One day I may use my phone and call people. :oops: I was keeping in touch with redrun regularly until... well... March.
I know it's a typo that's supposed to read "less than 10 miles away", but living "10 miles a day" just sounds way cooler. :wink:

As for CR, I thought it was just me he was ignoring. I haven't heard a thing from him via FB in ages. Nor have I seen him post here during that time either. I hope he's okay.

If I ever fall off the grid, give it a month then have Zarathud, Hentzau or RMC come check on me. If they smell something funny as they near my door....that means I'm probably okay.
Covfefe!
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I really appreciate ya'll. This is my social media. I don't facebook or twitter or instagram or whatever. I do browse reddit, but thats not really a community, if you know what I mean. I am not super chatty. Less than 2k posts over 12 years. But its just nice to hang out someplace where people are mainly rational and polite. So thank you all.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:22 pmAnd the legendary Fretmute of course.
I've been hitting Comfortably Numb pretty hard on the Rocksmith custom so that I can post it to YouTube and disappoint you.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:57 am
ImLawBoy wrote:
Daehawk wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:10 pm Someone from my area got banned a few years back but I cant remember who it was.
I'm drawing a blank on that one.
I see what you did there....

I can’t remember everyone I’ve met IRL. Had dinner with MHS, Tareeq, and Austin back in my NC days. Then met a few more folks when I lived in Florida, but can’t remember who all was there (though Austin was there again - I think he was following me around the country...). I also met the unnamed individual above’s brother a time or two; I can’t remember his forum name now, though, and I don’t think he has posted in many years.
Yankeeman84, I think.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Fretmute wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:44 pm
I've been hitting Comfortably Numb pretty hard on the Rocksmith custom so that I can post it to YouTube and disappoint you.
Man, I miss the old Rock Band days. I used to think I was pretty good...until Fretmute would show up and put us all to shame.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:08 pm
Fretmute wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:44 pm
Man, I miss the old Rock Band days. I used to think I was pretty good...until Fretmute would show up and put us all to shame.
I mean his username is kind of a hint. :) I loved Rock Band too until Rocksmith came along and murdered it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Fretmute wrote:
Wait what? It didn’t even occur to me that Rocksmith might have that!
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:48 pm
Fretmute wrote:I've been hitting Comfortably Numb pretty hard on the Rocksmith custom so that I can post it to YouTube and disappoint you.
Wait what? It didn’t even occur to me that Rocksmith might have that!
Well, it doesn't . . . officially. But there are ways!
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Y'all are my first browser tab to open in the morning and leave it up to see what's going on in these parts.

Thank you for all your insightful discussions and for just being here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FWIW, I have specific instructions with two different people that should I engage in unscheduled bucket-kicking, they're to post here and notify everyone. I will not go quietly into that good night!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got no one left to do that.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:51 pm FWIW, I have specific instructions with two different people that should I engage in unscheduled bucket-kicking, they're to post here and notify everyone. I will not go quietly into that good night!
I'm friends with a few of you on Facebook, hopefully someone would post in here in if I met my untimely demise. Of course as Austin pointed out, after a while I forget the OO name of some of the Facebook friends.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Hell, I don't know half of your NAMES.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Eel Snave wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:09 am Hell, I don't know half of your NAMES.
Yours is obviously Lee Snave :lol:
FTE
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scraper wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:31 am
Eel Snave wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:09 am Hell, I don't know half of your NAMES.
Yours is obviously Lee Snave :lol:
Close, but no kewpie doll!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lassr wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:07 am
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:51 pm FWIW, I have specific instructions with two different people that should I engage in unscheduled bucket-kicking, they're to post here and notify everyone. I will not go quietly into that good night!
I'm friends with a few of you on Facebook, hopefully someone would post in here in if I met my untimely demise. Of course as Austin pointed out, after a while I forget the OO name of some of the Facebook friends.
What we need is for the admin to pin a post in the Facebook group that we can all use to post our OO-FB names.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I started an identification post on the Facebook group, by the way. If we can just get whoever the admin is to pin it, this shouldn't be a problem in the future.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm Jennifer King Schlickbernd on FB. I will say this: I do not allow Trump supporting posts on my timeline. Period. I am fortunate to have family that all hates him, so no issues there and anyone who joins the timeline understands this. Also while I'm happy to have you (assuming you aren't a Trump supporter; Republicans are fine as long as they aren't about the hate) I don't spend a lot of time reading FB posts because if I did, I'd spend all day. All that being said, come on over :)
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:38 am
Lassr wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:07 am
What we need is for the admin to pin a post in the Facebook group that we can all use to post our OO-FB names.
good idea, I know when the group first started we had a post with our names but it gets deeply buried over time.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I am not an avid poster either but I still visit often. I joined after Arcanis kept talking about it when he was working for Rip when he hosted the site.

I remember playing Guild Wars with TScott, PR_GMR, and Zaxxon.
LittleRaven helped me find a good group to play TF2 with, I think Zenn was on the TTP forum for a little bit as well. I could be mistaken though.
GreenGoo was part of my Borderlands 1 group (Replaced by Teggy now).
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm JeffV on Facebook. Feel free to friend me and then post videos of yourself on my page dancing to zither music while making armpit noises. I'm talking like dozens from each of you.
Covfefe!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

miltonite wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:58 pm LittleRaven helped me find a good group to play TF2 with, I think Zenn was on the TTP forum for a little bit as well. I could be mistaken though.
Not sure what TTP is but assuming it's related to TF2 or otherwise some sort FPS sort of game, probably not me. I don't care for FPS games in general. Hopefully your mystery partner will show up to claim the spot and rekindle some good memories. :)
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Zenn7 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:11 pm
miltonite wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:58 pm LittleRaven helped me find a good group to play TF2 with, I think Zenn was on the TTP forum for a little bit as well. I could be mistaken though.
Not sure what TTP is but assuming it's related to TF2 or otherwise some sort FPS sort of game, probably not me. I don't care for FPS games in general. Hopefully your mystery partner will show up to claim the spot and rekindle some good memories. :)
Probably someone with a similar name with no relation.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

miltonite wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:25 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:11 pm
Probably someone with a similar name with no relation.
Possible. This is a very zenn-like forum.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Thanks for the fun thread all! My start with you all was on a dial up connection when I lived in the PNW going to grad school. I came for the lift tests and stayed for the community. :wub:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Enough wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:47 pm Thanks for the fun thread all! My start with you all was on a dial up connection when I lived in the PNW going to grad school. I came for the lift tests and stayed for the community. :wub:
:wub: I came for Diablo II upcoming release info, poked around because of the blog (before it was known as such), and stayed for the community.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Freelunch asked me to come by and answer some questions regarding a game that we reviewed together -- he didn't like the game well enough to load it back up to answer the questions. When I was done, I expected a "thank you, you can go now." So yeah, I'm bellhop awkwardly hanging around after delivering the bags waiting for a tip...for the past 20 years.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Funny thing is that we have also been awkwardly waiting for you to go. The mods said banning would send the wrong message so here we are...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Well, I did buy them a beer...
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Sudy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:28 pm That name rings a bell but I don't remember anything.

One of our lost members I mourn is ibdoomed. I know he left or was banned for valid reasons, but he was extremely kind to Mrs. Nym and I in OO's WoW guild during the Cataclysm era.
I was mourning RM9, then I had to go and email him and he returned. Now I mourn for another reason :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Grifman wrote:I was mourning RM9, then I had to go and email him and he returned. Now I mourn for another reason :)
Anything I do or say now is on you. I take no responsibility.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:10 pm I take no responsibility.
Who do you think you are, the President?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:17 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:10 pm I take no responsibility.
Who do you think you are, the President?
We should totally elect one.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

How about two?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949