MLB 2021: Offseason chat

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: MLB 2020: We never imagined a season like this!!!

Post by Isgrimnur »

Watched the Brewers get beat like a drum by the Cubs while listening to Uecker and crew on the radio broadcast. Not a bad way to spend the afternoon.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

O's record stands at 2-1. I guess this might be the high point of our season. Now we have two series with the Marlins who are grappling with a Covid outbreak. Lovely.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Baroquen wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:10 am O's record stands at 2-1. I guess this might be the high point of our season. Now we have two series with the Marlins who are grappling with a Covid outbreak. Lovely.
The Marlins' outbreak is baaaaaaad. At 13 total positives now (11 players, 2 coaches). The four who were announced positive yesterday were all asymptomatic.

The Marlins' game with the O's today has been postponed, and some are speculating this might impact the Phils/Yanks series as well to keep the Yankees out of the clubhouse the Marlins were just in.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm seeing the game as being cancelled and that they are up to 14 positive cases. That's going to be tough to manage.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:37 am I'm seeing the game as being cancelled and that they are up to 14 positive cases. That's going to be tough to manage.
Seems like all Marlin games will need to be postponed / canceled for at least two weeks out, right? And seems like there are likely players on the other team that the Marlins played who will need to be quarantined?
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:42 am
stessier wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:37 am I'm seeing the game as being cancelled and that they are up to 14 positive cases. That's going to be tough to manage.
Seems like all Marlin games will need to be postponed / canceled for at least two weeks out, right? And seems like there are likely players on the other team that the Marlins played who will need to be quarantined?
It's going to be interesting to see what MLB decides to do in response to this. 2-weeks of Marlins games being postponed/canceled would definitely impact their entire season (no way they could make them all up) and the NL/AL East as a whole.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Apparently the proper wording for the O's/Fish game is "postponed" (it keeps going back and forth on Twitter and ESPN).

Yanks/Phils is currently "canceled" as well (though that wording may change, too).
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:41 am
Apparently the proper wording for the O's/Fish game is "postponed" (it keeps going back and forth on Twitter and ESPN).

Yanks/Phils is currently "canceled" as well (though that wording may change, too).
What are the chances that the whole mini-season comes crashing down at some point before too long? In some ways it's one thing if an also-ran team like the Marlins gets sidelined. What happens when there's an outbreak with (say) the Yankees or the Dodgers?
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:42 am

What are the chances that the whole mini-season comes crashing down at some point before too long? In some ways it's one thing if an also-ran team like the Marlins gets sidelined. What happens when there's an outbreak with (say) the Yankees or the Dodgers?
MLB is holding an emergency meeting today so I imagine we'll find out something this afternoon.
Hodor.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

ESPN is reporting 4 positives?

No they just updated to 8 more players testing positive. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.
Black Lives Matter
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Geez. THANKS FLORIDA
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:43 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:42 am

MLB is holding an emergency meeting today so I imagine we'll find out something this afternoon.
Yeah, not sure how this season will continue after this. Such a big outbreak after less than a week?

Oh well, at least Kyle Hendricks will have a Cy Young to his name :lol: .
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
stessier

Post by stessier »

I was listening to a podcast and the guest mentioned he talked to someone inside the NFL who told him to get ready for every team to forfeit 2-3 games over the course of the season. They could do the same thing in the MLB, but it would be more like 12 games. But at some point, you kind of lose the integrity of the season.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:48 am ESPN is reporting 4 positives?

No they just updated to 8 more players testing positive. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.
Well if baseball is cancelled today, I guess we'll never know who's better. Giants or the Dodgers. I know the answer though :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

As much as it sucks I think they should just scrap the season. We're not even a week out and it's already falling apart.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Octavious wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:15 pm As much as it sucks I think they should just scrap the season. We're not even a week out and it's already falling apart.
It was fun while it lasted.

Get ready to say that a lot in the next 18-24 months.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:17 pm
Octavious wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:15 pm As much as it sucks I think they should just scrap the season. We're not even a week out and it's already falling apart.
It was fun while it lasted.

Get ready to say that a lot in the next 18-24 months.
Ya I think it will be a long time before we can properly do anything like we used to. And it certainly won't be the same when it comes back. Unless of course Trump find a miracle cure.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The MLB call with the owners starts in 10 minutes so we'll see what happens. I'm not sure what happened to the Marlins will be enough to cancel the season at this point, though.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:21 pm The MLB call with the owners starts in 10 minutes so we'll see what happens. I'm not sure what happened to the Marlins will be enough to cancel the season at this point, though.
Seriously question (not snark) - what will it take? Death of a player? Death of a coach or trainer?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:22 pm
pr0ner wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:21 pm The MLB call with the owners starts in 10 minutes so we'll see what happens. I'm not sure what happened to the Marlins will be enough to cancel the season at this point, though.
Seriously question (not snark) - what will it take? Death of a player? Death of a coach or trainer?
I heard healthy people can't get sick from this. So let them play!

stessier

Post by stessier »

I don't think either of those would do it. Maybe if there were several deaths. One offs can be brushed away as bad luck. I think if two or more teams have to miss more than 10 games, they'd call it off. There is too much money on the line to not push as hard as they can to make it work.

Not that I agree with that, but that is what I see.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yes I think public opinion is going to be pretty strong against them continuing unless they can get the players to stay in a bubble like the NBA.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Well, if you look at what MLS did, they had two teams come down with a slew of confirmed positive tests after they (and the other teams) entered the bubble for their tournament. MLS kicked those two teams out, and played the tournament with 24 rather than 26 teams, and there have been no confirmed positive tests since. Of course, that's a bubble situation, and a bunch of people on both Twitter and a soccer forum I visited yelled endlessly about the need to shut the whole thing down, but MLS forged ahead anyway (successfully, I'd say).

I think it's going to have to take multiple teams having to postpone or forfeit multiple games (not the two that were postponed today) due to widespread positives before they consider shutting it down. One team's not going to be enough.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think they should just give their opponents a win. It's the Marlins, they probably would lose every game to the Yankees anyway.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

An appropriate successor to Ted Williams:

Black Lives Matter.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Shortstop and chief epidemiologist!
The Philadelphia Inquirer wrote: The Marlins learned Sunday morning that their starting pitcher for the afternoon and two other players had tested positive for COVID-19 and would be unable to play. An apparent coronavirus outbreak was underway in the visiting clubhouse at Citizens Bank Park and the Marlins responded by asking their shortstop to determine if the game against the Phillies would be played.
[edit] - Wrong link.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

It was dumb not to play within a bubble. That in my opinion is what the owners should tell the players, bubble or no season. I just don't see how they can manage Covid when the players are free to go wherever.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The O's/Marlins game for tomorrow night has also been postponed. It is expected that the healthy Marlins will eventually travel to Baltimore from Philadelphia to play on Wednesday evening.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Just how big is the expanded roster???

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan · 4m
The latest round of testing from the Miami Marlins found four new coronavirus positives, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN. That brings the total over the last five days to 17.
@Ken_Rosenthal first reported the newest COVID-19 cases.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:09 am Just how big is the expanded roster???

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan · 4m
The latest round of testing from the Miami Marlins found four new coronavirus positives, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN. That brings the total over the last five days to 17.
@Ken_Rosenthal first reported the newest COVID-19 cases.
They carry 3 players on the taxi squad for road trips, and have a 60-man player pool for the season.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm having a hard time taking this season serious, but it's nice to see Pete hit a freaking missile last night. Stanton has hit a few bombs already as well. I've never seen a more brutal swing than Stanton. I expect to see a ball explode one day.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I'm trying not to get too invested in a season that I think is likely to be canceled, but I'm also trying to get my sports fix by watching Cubs games when I can. As I was expressing my displeasure with the Cubs' bullpen last night as they attempted to blow an 8-1 lead to the Reds (final was 8-7 with the final out a Joey Votto line drive to center with the bases loaded), my wife commented on how she didn't really miss my expressions of displeasure during the sports hiatus. She just doesn't know how to enjoy sports properly.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Well, this should be interesting.

Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I wonder what the vote would be if you asked the Marlins if they wanted to go back...
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Would anyone actually miss the Marlins if MLB just removes them from the schedule? :lol:
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Well, there is that guy who goes to games all over the country sitting behind home plate wearing a Marlins jersey . . . .
That's my purse! I don't know you!
naednek

Post by naednek »

ImLawBoy wrote:Well, there is that guy who goes to games all over the country sitting behind home plate wearing a Marlins jersey . . . .
So he's the spreading it
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:22 pm I wonder what the vote would be if you asked the Marlins if they wanted to go back...
I'm sure they'd like to go back home at some point, especially since all signs point to them contracting the virus in Atlanta.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:54 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:22 pm I wonder what the vote would be if you asked the Marlins if they wanted to go back...
I'm sure they'd like to go back home at some point, especially since all signs point to them contracting the virus in Atlanta.
Or maybe not?

Also:

Hodor.