diagnosing an issue with my new pc build

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Fishbelly

diagnosing an issue with my new pc build

Post by Fishbelly »

I'm hoping the hive mind might have a possible suggestion for my problem. I just put together a new pc build for the first time in 10 years. It's up and running, but only if I slot a single stick of RAM (either stick works). If I try to run dual channel w/ both sticks, the system refuses to post.

I checked, and my G-Skill RAM is listed as compatible with my MSI B550 Gaming Edge Wi-FI mobo. I've swapped sticks all around, but it simply won't post with both sticks. The EZ Debug LED on the motherboard indicates a RAM issue.

However, looking online I've seen issues like this blamed on processors issues as well as RAM. People talk about tightening the cooler onto the cpu too tightly, bent pins, etc. What I thought was an easy solution (send back the RAM) has become a more confusing issue.

If anyone has suggestions on things I can try/check before sending back the RAM I'm all ears.
hitbyambulance

Re: diagnosing an issue with my new pc build

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm somewhat doubtful it's a RAM issue, given that each one works fine on its own. you could do MemTest86 on each module overnight to verify (separately). i don't suppose you have access to another set of RAM?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Try checking the memory timing in the BIOS, and make sure it's set to use SPD for automatic timing. If that doesn't help, try setting the memory timing manually according to specs listed on the memory you're using.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, something is tickling my memory (ha!) about the computer I'm currently using. Something about how we purchased memory that was labeled/recommended for overclocking and for whatever reason the BIOS settings somehow knew that or were trying to run the memory sticks at an aggressive/overclocked rate. It wasn't until we manually disabled it that the computer functioned normally.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:33 pm i'm somewhat doubtful it's a RAM issue, given that each one works fine on its own. you could do MemTest86 on each module overnight to verify (separately). i don't suppose you have access to another set of RAM?
Sadly, I don't have any other RAM to try. I can give MemTest86 a go just to rule things out.

I'll look into memory timings in the BIOS and see if that does any good. Thanks--that's something I hadn't thought to check.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Well, I ran MemTest86 on both sticks individually and came up with no errors.

After playing with memory settings, nothing changed--one stick will post/both sticks fail to post.

I did notice that when setting memory frequencies to manual (instead of auto) the EZ Debug LED indicator shows a cpu error when trying to boot with both sticks. (On auto, the LED indicated a RAM issue).

Since MemTest 86 showed no errors, I guess I'll see about returning my processor. Thanks for all the help everybody.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

How long did you run MemTest on each stick?

And does your BIOS offer a Fail-Safe setting you can try?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:43 am How long did you run MemTest on each stick?

And does your BIOS offer a Fail-Safe setting you can try?
I ran the test for whatever it defaulted to (4 runs, I believe). It took 2-3 hours for each stick.

I do not recall a Fail-safe setting in the BIOS. I did restore the BIOS to defaults, clear the CMOS, etc. I've never been one to muck about in BIOS much once I get a system up and running, so my skill level is on par with "What did Google tell me I should do next?"

I removed the processor again and noticed what might be a bent pin. My eyes are getting too old to see clearly on such a small scale. I ended up sending the cpu back to Newegg. If they don't accept it, I guess I'll buy another processor and try once again. Thankfully I'm almost patient in my 50s, so I'll get by until Newegg lets me know. If this had happened in my 20s I'd never have made it.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

What I do when I build is build with the bare minimum of parts, in your case one stick of ram. Install Windows and verify the desktop works, that you can do minor stuff like open Notepad with no problems. Next, install your browser of choice. Next, go to the motherboard's site and download the latest software they have that lets you update the bios and install it. Once you have the latest stable bios, not an experimental one, update Windows. Shut off the computer.

At this point I boot to the bios and manually set the memory to the standard settings for the ram you bought. No fast timings, no overclocking ram speed, and no extra voltage, just standard specs. Now you can shut down and install the second stick and see if it works. It might have been a CPU though, so maybe that will take care of it. These are new boards so you can expect bios updates will be a thing.
Montag

Post by Montag »

How many memory slots are on the mobo? Are you are sure you are using the right slots for pairing? It could be the mobo. If 4 slots try the other set.

How many PCI cards do you have? Eliminate all but video and try again.
words
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Montag wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:48 pm How many memory slots are on the mobo? Are you are sure you are using the right slots for pairing? It could be the mobo. If 4 slots try the other set.

How many PCI cards do you have? Eliminate all but video and try again.
The mobo has 4 slots. I began with the recommended slots according to the manual, and then tried every possible combo with the RAM. Never posted with both sticks.

The only PCI card I have is my video card.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Its possible that your Ram is not compatible with your build. Its tolerating it with one stick, but as soon as you add the second, it exceeds parameters.

use https://pcpartpicker.com/ or another site to validate against your proc and motherboard
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:21 pm Its possible that your Ram is not compatible with your build. Its tolerating it with one stick, but as soon as you add the second, it exceeds parameters.

use https://pcpartpicker.com/ or another site to validate against your proc and motherboard
Yeah, I checked and my G-Skill RAM is listed as being compatible with my mobo.

I'm still waiting on the processor RMA with Newegg, and I'm hoping that when they eventually get around to sending me a second cpu, it does the trick. MSI just updated the bios for my B550 mobo, so I'll update that as well when it arrives. *fingers crossed*
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Newegg finally processed my cpu RMA and confirmed I'd bent a pin or pins. (What I was afraid of, but secretly hoping because at least it identifies the issue.)

I installed a new cpu (very carefully) and the system posted right away. I then popped in the second stick of RAM and all is working well.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I'm off to see what the best and shiniest games look like now that I can run them. :mrgreen:
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Fishbelly wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:53 pm Newegg finally processed my cpu RMA and confirmed I'd bent a pin or pins.
how much did they ding you for this (end-user damage)?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You can bend those back yourself. Or used to anyways. Probably a lot more of them now and smaller.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:25 pm You can bend those back yourself. Or used to anyways. Probably a lot more of them now and smaller.
My 55 year old eyes just couldn't focus clearly enough on the pins, and I've never been that good with fine manipulation either. I fumbled about for a time,then finally admitted it was beyond me.

I'm chalking it up to a learning experience and moving on. (At least being old helps with that.) My rig is up and running, and I for the first time in forever I can crank the graphics settings and simply enjoy. :wub: