Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Jeff V »

My biggest problem with light beers is that, aside from Guinness, they are flavor-free. You can go lighter with just water; water with calories truly is the definition of "empty calories." Just trying to stay health-conscious. :D
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:00 pm My biggest problem with light beers is that, aside from Guinness, they are flavor-free. You can go lighter with just water; water with calories truly is the definition of "empty calories." Just trying to stay health-conscious. :D
I would ask if you've tried any of the beers on that list, but I'm pretty sure your answer would be no.
Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

whoa. Is guiness low cal?
:shock: :D

edit:
125 cals, didn't know that.
Last edited by Unagi on Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Unagi wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:21 am whoa. Is guiness low cal?
Sure is:
Time Magazine A 12-ounce serving of Guinness sets you back 125 calories—just 15 more than the same serving of Bud Light. Alcohol is beer’s main calorie source, and since Guinness is just 4.2% ABV, it’s relatively low in calories.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

pr0ner wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:21 am I would ask if you've tried any of the beers on that list, but I'm pretty sure your answer would be no.
And you would, of course, be wrong. The only one I haven't had is Fly Jack.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:37 am
Sure is:
Time Magazine A 12-ounce serving of Guinness sets you back 125 calories—just 15 more than the same serving of Bud Light. Alcohol is beer’s main calorie source, and since Guinness is just 4.2% ABV, it’s relatively low in calories.
Of course, it's the carbs that are killing me.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:39 am
pr0ner wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:21 am I would ask if you've tried any of the beers on that list, but I'm pretty sure your answer would be no.
And you would, of course, be wrong. The only one I haven't had is Fly Jack.
You have a weird definition of "flavor free" then.
Hodor.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

edit:
Low alcohol as well, seems backward from what we all thought originally. I remember when my friends drank Coors Light and I drank Guinness in bars and they all thought I was drinking way more alcohol.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:30 pm

edit:
Low alcohol as well, seems backward from what we all thought originally. I remember when my friends drank Coors Light and I drank Guinness in bars and they all thought I was drinking way more alcohol.
I remember the old joke that drinking a can of Guinness was like eating a loaf of bread.

Definitely is easy to forget that Guinness is relatively low calorie and low ABV.
Hodor.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:41 am

edit:
I remember the old joke that drinking a can of Guinness was like eating a loaf of bread.

Definitely is easy to forget that Guinness is relatively low calorie and low ABV.
And now when compared to some of the craft stouts out there Guinness is like water.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:40 pm

edit:

And now when compared to some of the craft stouts out there Guinness is like water.
Yep. I drank a 16.5% ABV stout this weekend!
Hodor.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:52 pm
Scuzz wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:40 pm

edit:

Yep. I drank a 16.5% ABV stout this weekend!
Should I call you JeffV? :lol:
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Call me when it's stout season! :D (actually, I had some Founder's Breakfast Stout the other day). 16.5% sounds like a wonderful session beer to me! How was the flavor?
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Peach Stand Rambler, O'Dells Brewery, Ft. Collins, CO. Now here is an example of a super-lite beer that I really enjoy. At 5.2% ABV, it's less booze than you have letting your peach nectar ferment in open air for a day. It's a blonde ale, light body and a bit on the fizzy side. But the flavor is nice, and it goes well with sitting on the front porch during the scorching weather we've had this month.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Cryo IPA by O'Dells Brewing, Ft. Collins, CO. Yep, I bought an O'Dells mix pack today, but there was only 3 varieties as they managed to refrain from sneaking in some dreck from the end of their line (the third beer was their ubiquitous IPA). Cryo is a chemistry experiment, they source the hops from a company that extracts the best part of the hop then blasts it with liquid nitrogen creating a potent extract. The result in this case is a very complex, flavorful (in a fruity way) beer that clocks in at a typical 6.5% ABV. The 12-pack was on sale for $13; I think I might try to pick up one or two more.

In other news, Shiner Oktoberfest was already on the shelves. :doh:
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:35 pm Call me when it's stout season! :D (actually, I had some Founder's Breakfast Stout the other day). 16.5% sounds like a wonderful session beer to me! How was the flavor?
Banana and peanut butter mostly, while being quite boozy.
Hodor.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Okay, this is a "Juicy Hazy" IPA with added "spice".

I did not care for it.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

This is really good. Someone up thread mentioned it and my local store had some so I bought it and it is really good. Reminds me of a Dogfish Head IPA.
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

disarm

Post by disarm »

Stumbled across a damn good beer last night...Rare Fog by Abomination Brewing Company, North Haven CT. It's a triple dry-hopped triple IPA, loaded with galaxy, mosaic, citra, summit, and pacific jade hops. There are a lot of flavors going on, but it's super smooth, a little juicy, and goes down incredibly easy for a 10.5% IPA. I think that IPAs that strong often go down a little rough, but this is so easily drinkable that I could probably having finished off another if I had it. If you're on the east coast, keep an eye out!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Today started off with a Deep Ellum Barrel Crusher, followed with some gin gimlets.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:12 pm Today started off with a Deep Ellum Barrel Crusher, followed with some gin gimlets.
Mmm... gimlets, an underappreciated cocktail. I'm going to make one right now.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Good Behavior Pussy IPA by Odell Brewing Co., Ft. Collins, CO. I recently reviewed a well-conceived mix pack of Odell bottles, now it's time to try their canned mix pack. We start with this barely beer that clocks in at an anemic 4.0% ABV. To quote the great philosopher Gomer Pyle, "Surprise, surprise, surprise!" It doesn't suck! It's a grapefruity style IPA, but it doesn't taste like a watered-down version of the real thing. It pairs well with my wife's recent abstinence kick.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
disarm

Post by disarm »

Another night for big beer! This time, it's Spillmatic, a collaboration between Short Throw Brewing and Equilibrium, both out of CT... another hazy triple IPA, this time packed with Strata, Galaxy and Citra, and clocking in at a JeffV-approved 10.1% ABV. I liked the beer I posted last week, this one is full of hazy, citrus flavor, but still manages to go down super smooth. It's a beer that I could drink all night long if not for the fact that one 16oz can is almost like downing a couple shots (and half a meal's worth of calories). It's a damn good beer though!Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:handgestures-thumbup:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Woodshed Oaked IPA by Vintage Brewing Co., Sauk City, WI. Last weekend's trip to Wisconsin had me buying something local, probably because it was on sale for a decent price. This is actually a pretty tasty beer, more of an English style IPA that's a nice bridge to the fall Marzen beers. It's on'y 6.5% ABV so you can throw down a 6 without being too impaired for gaming. Or unicycling. Or shaving your pet llama.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Pulp Theory Hazy IPA by Odell Brewing, Ft. Collins, CO. The mix pack of cans is markedly different than their surprisingly good bottle mix pack. Yes, that means it's pretty bad. This one is the only real winner, a 7.5% pineapply slightly hazybeer. It's a good summer beer, today I had the last one which fits the forecast nicely -- today might be the last 80 degree day of the year if weather.com is right.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sippin' Pretty Candy Beer by Odell Brewing Co., Ft. Colins, CO. I don't really care to invest in a whole can of sour beer (a shot glass sampler at a beer tasting is usually enough for me). In the Odell mix pack, I had three of these things to choke down. Remember powdered sour candy? This tastes like that, with about the same amount of alcohol (no redemption at 4.5%). Thankfully, I'm on the final can.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:23 pm Image

This is really good. Someone up thread mentioned it and my local store had some so I bought it and it is really good. Reminds me of a Dogfish Head IPA.
One of my all time favorites. So it might have been me who mentioned it!
Hodor.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Enlarge Image

I'm a sucker for a citrus-y gose. This one has a higher abv than most, at 8%, but you wouldn't know it without reading the label.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've been an adamant Mountain Dew drinker for 27 years. I transitioned to Diet 'Dew several years back. I often drink a liter a day, sometimes 2 or 3 on weekends just to stay wired.

Recently I discovered an acceptable replacement. Frannie's Sparkling Love line of sodas. Caffeinated, fizzy, sweet - with no aspertame. The flavors aren't very loud, but they're good. It's also remarkably cheap. $0.69 for a 1-liter bottle at the local grocery store.

For the last month this has been my go-to soda, and it's nice to have a change of pace.

No alcoholic beverages for me, though. Can't help anyone with that. I've been sober for the entirety of my life and plan to die that way.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I just spent almost $190 on a few bottles of Aslin's 5th Anniversary barrel aged release. A couple of these I'm really looking forward to - others are for friends.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Detour DIPA by Uinta in Brewing, Salt Lake City, UT. When I was last in SLC, beer had to be at or below 3.2% and something like an 9.5% ABV would have qualified one for a public beheading. I guess since then some Mormon transgressed to the Enlightenment, because this is a very tasty DIPA. Just the way I like 'em, smooth and a little sweet. My only complaint was that it was served in improper glassware...it came in a 10 oz stem glass while a liter stein would have been preferred.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:58 pm Image
So it's still as shitty as I remember it.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Kaiser Imperial Oktoberfest Lager by Avery Brewing Co., Boulder, CO. I don't think I've ever heard of an "Imperial Oktoberfest" before; IPAs and stouts with that moniker tend to be in the 9-13% range but at 8.0% ABV, it's simply a robust festbeir. Nice caramel color and flavor, it hides the booze a little better than my go-to Atom Smasher (7.0%) and sells for about the same price.

I'm having friends (and their kids) over tomorrow for an end-of-summer backyard campout. I'm hiding this and the Atom Smasher, leaving Sierra Nevada for the visitors and children.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image Enlarge Image Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Which of you is taking the plunge?

Yuengling collaboration beer with Hershey’s arrives in time for the holidays

Enlarge Image
Yuengling’s Hershey’s Chocolate Porter, launched last year on draft only, is making its debut as a seasonal release in bottles, just in time for the holidays.