Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Grifman

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Grifman »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:24 am I was supposed to have a dental appointment back in I think April, which was of course canceled. I just got an e-mail from the dentist, as apparently they have set a new appointment up for me in September. Probably just going to cancel it...I assume that they would have masks and precautions, but all the same seems better to wait until early next year.
Same for me regarding an April appointment. But I haven't heard a word from my dentist and I'm rather frustrated as I really need to see him as I have high maintenance periodontal issues. :(
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:51 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:48 am
pr0ner wrote:Well, for me, I see no reason not to. Is that really that cavalier when I live alone and I've already been going back to the office for the last month? I don't think it is.
We'll just disagree on the level of cavalierness (cavalierity?). ;)

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but there are reasons not to go, and I'm guessing you can actually see them but you've weighed the risks vs. benefits for your scenario and feel that the reasons to go outweigh the reasons not to go.
I don't think you're being pedantic. Of course there are reasons not to go, such as for example the chance that pr0ner catches the Rona and passes away several weeks later. Everything is risk/benefit analysis, and pr0ner seems to have chosen to refer to 'very low relative risk' as 'no risk.'
This is correct.
Hodor.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is rich - maskless Louie Gohmert has been infected with the virus:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/2 ... rus-386076

Earlier he said: "If I get it," he told CNN in June, "you'll never see me without a mask."

I look forward to his recovery and seeing him in a mask.
Last edited by Grifman on Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is insane. The quack group of doctors met with Pence:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/29/politics ... index.html

The inmates truly are running the asylum.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Formix wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:41 am So FL has over 31,000 cases of COVID in children under 17. First, that's terrible, but second, I'm very interested to hear more about that. Are there any confirmed cases of these kids infecting anyone else? What is their severity? There is valuable data there that the rest of the parents in America need to help them in making the decision to send their kids to school or not. Does this back up or refute the South Korea research?
:confusion-shrug:

As I said earlier, no one knows. The data we have access to (Europe, South Korea) is based on much smaller populations and no where near the level of circulating virus that we have in America. In short, the world is likely watching to see what happens with the experiment America is participating in.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Our schools decided to go back to remote learning only for at least the first 9 weeks. I'm fine with that, though my wife made it abundantly clear to the principal (as have other parents), that a 10 minute Zoom call once a week and a pile of homework is not "remote learning."
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:40 am Our schools decided to go back to remote learning only for at least the first 9 weeks. I'm fine with that, though my wife made it abundantly clear to the principal (as have other parents), that a 10 minute Zoom call once a week and a pile of homework is not "remote learning."
I know Durham County bought a Chromebook for every student for the fall - their spring remote learning issues were that they couldn't give required, graded work if they couldn't be sure that all students had equal accessibility. So my daughter's teachers offered a lot of things, but none of it was required and I imagine it was ingested by students in an infrequent manner. But with Chromebooks, high school is fully remote and they'll use the high school spaces to allow them to spread out middle and elementary schools with an online academy for K-8 folks with health concerns.

We'll see how it works out.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

We had agonized over it for a couple weeks, but finally made the decision to send the kids back. Registration was supposed to begin on Saturday.
Yesterday, the Utah Educator's Association (teacher's union) demanded that the governor postpone live classroom learning indefinitely. They're now threatening either a lawsuit or a strike.

So now...who the hell knows what's going to happen. We're back to being entirely in limbo.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fauci was just on tv talking about vaccines. He just signaled that the distribution will be ok because the experts will be running it. He said it'll be better than how testing went directly. I hope he's right.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

malchior wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:23 pm Fauci was just on tv talking about vaccines. He just signaled that the distribution will be ok because the experts will be running it. He said it'll be better than how testing went directly. I hope he's right.
Well, he has finally said something I disagree with. Unless tRump is out of office when the vaccine becomes available there is zero chance of the experts being in charge.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Remus West wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:37 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:23 pm Fauci was just on tv talking about vaccines. He just signaled that the distribution will be ok because the experts will be running it. He said it'll be better than how testing went directly. I hope he's right.
Well, he has finally said something I disagree with. Unless tRump is out of office when the vaccine becomes available there is zero chance of the experts being in charge.
Maybe that's what Fauci meant.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:38 pm
Remus West wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:37 pm
Maybe that's what Fauci meant.
That's probably the right read. He was listing off all the agencies/organizations involved and he was so very much saying...we've got this.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

We won't at all see any kind of deal with the government grabbing prepaid vaccination bundles from states and redistributing them to the highest bidders.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Remus West wrote:Well, he has finally said something I disagree with. Unless tRump is out of office when the vaccine becomes available there is zero chance of the experts being in charge.
I feel like Fauci is one of those half glass-full guys that doesn't want to be the bearer of bad news, so he always surrounds his assessments with a glimmer of sunshine. Unfortunately, that has not corresponded to reality.

I'm a Fauci fan, and I trust and respect his judgment. But I take any of his optimism with a HUGE grain of salt. I'm just not buying it based on the way things have played out so far.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As I suspected - it's like I know things. :wink:
Citing concerns about the safety of teachers and students, three New Jersey lawmakers said Wednesday they plan to introduce legislation to require school districts to keep their buildings closed and offer only remote instruction for the new school year.

Only special education and related services would be delivered in person, according to the proposed bill.

“The reality is the pandemic isn’t over. School is set to begin in just a few weeks, and it is not clear that a safe and comfortable environment can be maintained for students and staff,” said Jasey, D-Essex. “As a former Board of Education member and a public health nurse, I understand that New Jersey has made strong progress in combating COVID-19, but reopening schools for in-person instruction would feel like a step backward at this time.”
Of note:
Under the bill, public schools would start the year with virtual learning at home only. Starting on Oct. 31, reopening schools for in-person classes would be evaluated on a monthly basis by Murphy, with the help of the state education and health departments based on COVID-19 infection data and other statistics.

The proposal also calls for school districts to have the option of delaying the start of the school year by two weeks so teachers could be trained in how to teach online. The bill would also allow schools to hold outdoor events so students could get to know their teachers and classmates at the start of the school year.
This is really the part the angers me. We knew back in March that the school year was in trouble. We also knew in May they weren't going back to a classroom. Teachers could have been given guidance/tools/training between June, July and August to try and prepare for September, but instead we waffled around and tried to hope for better news. To be clear, it's the same thing that happened in higher ed, though their decisions were based on pulling in revenue. Once again, we squandered the time we were given.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:30 pmI'm a Fauci fan, and I trust and respect his judgment. But I take any of his optimism with a HUGE grain of salt. I'm just not buying it based on the way things have played out so far.
This is where I am but I do hold hope if Biden wins that we'll have a chance.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:29 pm
I try not to be a bad person, but I find myself unable to escape the thought "May he be an example to us all on how to reopen safely before he becomes a vector study". Which is to say I fail at not being a bad person.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:35 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:29 pm
I try not to be a bad person, but I find myself unable to escape the thought "May he be an example to us all on how to reopen safely before he becomes a vector study". Which is to say I fail at not being a bad person.
I'm with you on this. And I hate to say it but he has done harm during the pandemic and before to our nation. I don't care what happens to him and won't shed a tear for him if it goes badly for him. For some reason Peter Baker left the end of the statement out which makes it even worse but in an entirely unsurprising way.

Edit: Baker may have left it out due to standards and practices at the NY Times since it isn't a quote but I'm just spit balling that idea.It's all a quote. He just cut the extra shitiness for an unknown reason. :?

Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:35 pm I try not to be a bad person, but I find myself unable to escape the thought "May he be an example to us all on how to reopen safely before he becomes a vector study". Which is to say I fail at not being a bad person.
Throw in a few Thoughts and Prayers, and you'll be fine.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Here's an update I got from the wife on CPS's plan:
Here's what I'm getting: plan is still to start the year with hybrid instruction. Will switch to all online if rolling avg of new cases is >400/day. Will not consider 100%  in person unless <100 new cases/day for 4 weeks straight or <400 with widely available vaccine.
That'll be fun.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Holman wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:51 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:35 pm I try not to be a bad person, but I find myself unable to escape the thought "May he be an example to us all on how to reopen safely before he becomes a vector study". Which is to say I fail at not being a bad person.
Throw in a few Thoughts and Prayers, and you'll be fine.
That depends on what you are thinking and praying for. :twisted:

More seriously, people may remember redrun here. I just spoke to him and he is getting tested today. Thoughts and prayers for his good health (negative test hopefully) are appreciated.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:54 pm More seriously, people may remember redrun here. I just spoke to him and he is getting tested today. Thoughts and prayers for his good health (negative test hopefully) are appreciated.
Be well redrun. Test well and correctly. I was worried for him, as his sense of taste was already limited and it's harsh to take that kind of self diagnostic off the table. I've wanted to go and game so bad over these last five months, but this is why I didn't. (Though nowadays I was more worried about me being a vector than him, as I work in an office with people several times a week now)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Redneck test whether masks blocks coronavirus or not with blowtorch and ether. Yes, it does get hot, sorta.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Grifman wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:55 am My niece is seriously considering just taking off a year of college. She has a free ride (won a prestigious scholarship which has given all the winners that option) because she doesn't want to miss more of her college experience. If I were her I'd do that.
The drawback to taking a gap year is that the activities that students typically pursue (e.g., travel, internships) are mostly unavailable or unadvised.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNBC: Trump asks: ‘Why don’t I have a high approval’ on the coronavirus when Fauci does?

:think:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oddly enough, I don't think my advice changes for an 18 year old right now. If you can, take core courses at a community college and work P/T. I really can't imagine advising an 18 year old to try and hammer away at a 4 year degree at a state level college or university at this point in time. Above and beyond the money issue, there is value in the "college experience" and you're absolutely missing out. Better (imho) to take classes at a community college to stay in the loop (once you stop an education mindset it's difficult to get back in) but the investment is much lower. If you're already in college better to just hammer it out and do whatever it takes to get through until Fall 2021.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

BTW, Gohmert thinks that wearing the mask is what caused him to catch COVID-19.

It should be physically painful to be this stupid.

Rep. Louie Gohmert thinks that it’s possible that wearing a mask gave him COVID.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Grifman wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:09 am This is rich - maskless Louie Gohmert has been infected with the virus:
I look forward to his recovery and seeing him in a mask.
It's even worse - now he is saying that maybe he caught covid *because* he deigned to wear a mask.
“But I can't help but wonder if my keeping a mask on and keeping it in place, that if I might have put some germs or some of the virus onto the mask and breathed it in — I don't know. But I got it, we'll see what happens from here, but the reports of my demise are very premature," he said.
:grund:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Gohmert's not the only office like this:

Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The "I got it from wearing a mask" is really on-brand, but this? Classic.
He reportedly informed his congressional staff of his positive test during an in-person meeting.
Hey everyone, come to my office I have something to tell you!

I want to feel bad for them, but they're working for him. So...no.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Well at least we now know why they want to exempt employers from coronavirus liability.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:10 pm Gohmert's not the only office like this:

What the hell is "PM"?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Exodor wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:45 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:10 pm Gohmert's not the only office like this:

What the hell is "PM"?
Politico's "Playbook PM" is where he broke the story, I think.
Last edited by Holman on Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman

Post by Holman »

BAM!!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:tjg:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Dungeon Master? ... I'm still annoyed and old because PM used to mean Private Message and then one day the Twittersphere took over and every one started using DM for everything. Screw Twitter.

Enlarge Image
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:56 pm Dungeon Master? ... I'm still annoyed and old because PM used to mean Private Message and then one day the Twittersphere took over and every one started using DM for everything. Screw Twitter.

Enlarge Image
Don't @ me, bro.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Not
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:57 pm
:lol: