hepcat

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by hepcat »

I love me some Dragon Prince. :wub:
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:03 pm Netflix just stealth-announced via the Dragon Prince Comic-Con@Home panel that not only have they picked up Season 4, but the entirety of the saga (I believe that means seasons 4-7).

No word on release date yet.

Dragon Prince is one of the very few shows that I was more than happy to sit down and watch with my kids. It's a fantastic story that deals with both difficult themes and representation in a wonderful way.

Thrilled that it's been picked up for it's entirety.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:55 pm
Freyland wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:45 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:17 pm As to Cursed, I watched the first 10 minutes of so of the first episode and just bounced hard off of it - just seemed like the lead character and her motivations were so tired and done better elsewhere, that I didn't want to sit through it.

I think I'm getting old. Get off my lawn!
Not just you. Made myself watch two episodes, just not interested enough.
I lasted about 5 minutes.
I'm finishing season 1 due to Merlin. I really like how he is portrayed.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Remus West wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:55 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:17 pm As to Cursed, I watched the first 10 minutes of so of the first episode and just bounced hard off of it - just seemed like the lead character and her motivations were so tired and done better elsewhere, that I didn't want to sit through it.

He was enough to get me through, too. And boy, my spoiler above. :)
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:02 pm

Not looking. Jerk. Quit reminding me it is there as now I know it involves him. :evil: :P
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Remus West wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:03 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:02 pm

Not looking. Jerk. Quit reminding me it is there as now I know it involves him. :evil: :P
Or does it? Who can say?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Just finished The Old Guard and was completely underwhelmed. The dialogue was sooooo bad.
Spoiler:
They can live forever and decide to become mercenaries? They only take jobs for the greater good, but do absolutely zero vetting of the actual morality of these jobs.

Could the bad guy entrepreneur have been any more unrealistically evil? Make it about doing something to better the world and have it be interesting, not remind us every three seconds that it's about profit.

The one interesting bit was when the comrade was thrown overboard. She's resting at the bottom of the ocean continually drowning and there isn't a damn thing any of these eternals can do about it. Can you imagine knowing that someone you love is in constant agony for centuries and you are powerless to help? How would that not drive you insane too?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Just finished our Umbrella Academy re-watch to prepare for Season 2 this Friday. I liked it even more the second time through and I can't wait for more. :pop:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm thoroughly bored with it (7 episodes in) but it is bridging us to Umbrella Academy so we will finish it off. I liked Katherina Langford (Nimue) actress in 13 Reasons Why, but her character does nothing for me here...and really neither do any of the other characters.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just finished Season 3 of Norsemen. Just as good as the first two, with some absolutely hilarious moments. The war table, the the dragon, and the scrotum whipping all had me rolling. And the ending was perfect.

I may even recommend watching it before seasons 1 and 2. It’s the perfect prequel.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Finished Cursed. Kinda felt like the ending was just the beginning but the rest wasn’t interesting enough to make me watch another season unless they release it while Covid is still creating a mess of life.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Remus West wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:01 am Finished Cursed. Kinda felt like the ending was just the beginning but the rest wasn’t interesting enough to make me watch another season unless they release it while Covid is still creating a mess of life.
I'm planning to give it a whirl. There is so little fantasy stuff on TV that I tend to be pretty tolerant when it comes to shortcomings.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Tao

Post by Tao »

Finished watching all 5 seasons of Eureka. That was a fun ride although the last season started to get repetitive and it seemed like the writers were running out of stories to tell. I never found Collin Ferguson's character of the Sheriff to be "Homer-like", he could definitely be a goofball at times but he never came across as stupid or a schlub, just a fish out of water surrounded by a town full of super geniuses. I thought he and Salli Richardson had really good chemistry and their interactions felt real and natural. It also didn't hurt the show that they had a bevy of attractive women and Salli Richardson was/is smoking hot. There were two episodes where she does a scene in her unmentionables and they were definitely worth mentioning, holy cow.

I have lately been trying to watch Cursed, as I found the theme, prequel to Arthurian legend, really interesting. Unfortunately the show is falling flat for me. I am half-way through episode three and I think I will shelve it for now and try something else. May also be that I watched The Letter for the King earlier this year and it feels rather similar but better done pacing and story wise.

Also watched a WuXia movie (subtitled) that came up titled Double World. Started out pretty good with fun characters and good action but the third act sort of fell apart. Still worth watching if your looking for some fun action.

Lastly, I watched the Old Guard. I thought it was enjoyable although incredibly predictable. The action was really good and the story and characters were fairly engaging. Oddly I was least interested in learning the story of Theron's character and found the other's far more interesting, particularly Joe and Nicky. I think others have mentioned, they ended the movie on a teaser but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't materialize. I gather the movie has a high popularity right now but the way they left things and how they structured the story, not really sure where they could go with it, but then I'm not a screenplay writer so.

Very much looking forward to season 2 of Umbrella Academy in a few days.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:04 am
Remus West wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:01 am Finished Cursed. Kinda felt like the ending was just the beginning but the rest wasn’t interesting enough to make me watch another season unless they release it while Covid is still creating a mess of life.
I'm planning to give it a whirl. There is so little fantasy stuff on TV that I tend to be pretty tolerant when it comes to shortcomings.
Honestly, I think part of my issue is that my wife can not stand violence and gore. With Covid messing the world up we are sitting together at night and while she doesn't mind me watching whatever, as she will play games on her phone, she does sometimes notice. So while this was an ok show it does have gore and the story wasn't good enough to really make it worth it with her right there. Now, Punisher, which was way more gory and violent (obviously) had a compelling enough story that I watched that with fewer complaints about the gore because she could follow the story and root for Frank. Nobody in Cursed really got me rooting for them much. I didn't root against the Fey but they did such stupid things it was hard to root for them too.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Tao wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:48 amI have lately been trying to watch Cursed, as I found the theme, prequel to Arthurian legend, really interesting. Unfortunately the show is falling flat for me. I am half-way through episode three and I think I will shelve it for now and try something else. May also be that I watched The Letter for the King earlier this year and it feels rather similar but better done pacing and story wise.
The Letter for the King? Is this also Netflix?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Tao wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:48 am Finished watching all 5 seasons of Eureka. That was a fun ride although the last season started to get repetitive and it seemed like the writers were running out of stories to tell. I never found Collin Ferguson's character of the Sheriff to be "Homer-like", he could definitely be a goofball at times but he never came across as stupid or a schlub, just a fish out of water surrounded by a town full of super geniuses. I thought he and Salli Richardson had really good chemistry and their interactions felt real and natural. It also didn't hurt the show that they had a bevy of attractive women and Salli Richardson was/is smoking hot. There were two episodes where she does a scene in her unmentionables and they were definitely worth mentioning, holy cow.
I recently binged on the first season of Haven. If you liked Eureka, you may want to give it a shot. It feels a bit like a cross between Eureka and X-Files.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Tao wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:48 am I gather the movie has a high popularity right now but the way they left things and how they structured the story, not really sure where they could go with it, but then I'm not a screenplay writer so.
You did recognize the character featured in that last scene, right? That was pretty much a huge, neon disclaimer telling you what they were going to do with the sequel, which is all but assured at this point due to its popularity
Remus West wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:42 am Honestly, I think part of my issue is that my wife can not stand violence and gore.
The entire run of the absolutely amazing Hannibal series with Mads Mikkelson in the title role is up on Netflix. They have tons of gore...but it's presented in an almost poetic and artistic manner in most cases. Hit her with that and try to desensitize her before she realizes what you're doing. :P

But on a serious note, Netflix has some great shows that don't really feature violence and gore. The End of the F$#king World, Schitt's Creek, Kim's Convenience...there's some great, non violent stuff on Netflix.

If you have HBO Max, introduce her to Pushing Daisies as I noticed they have the entire run of that up. Between this and Hannibal, I'm obviously a Bryan Fuller fanboy. Use Pushing Daisies to ease her into Hannibal. Have I mentioned how great Hannibal is?
Covfefe!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I have the entire run of Pushing Daisies on DVD. Awesome show. Would be a good rewatch. I'll try some of that with her tonight. Thanks for the reminder of that one. :D

On a side note, she hated Firefly. We don't talk of it for fear she will slander it wrong and it will lead to a messy split. :wink:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can understand how someone wouldn't like Firef....

NO...NO I CAN'T! I'm lying! You need to nip this in the bud with frequent cosplay sessions when she least expects it. And yes, you can use your Inara outfits. You need to bring her around, man.
Covfefe!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:22 am I can understand how someone wouldn't like Firef....

NO...NO I CAN'T! I'm lying! You need to nip this in the bud with frequent cosplay sessions when she least expects it. And yes, you can use your Inara outfits. You need to bring her around, man.
If I could get her to dress up as Inara......oh, you meant me wearing them.....yeah, you've been doing that wrong my friend. Your hair is amazing but you are no Inara.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:53 am
You did recognize the character featured in that last scene, right? That was pretty much a huge, neon disclaimer telling you what they were going to do with the sequel, which is all but assured at this point due to its popularity
Was that a post credits scene? I watched the movie but had to look that scene up after you mentioned it. I had never seen it.
Honestly, it's just more of what I hated about the movie. The guy stumbles in drunk with a bottle of booze in his hands and accidentally smashes the bottle on the ground. That scene intro is such a goddamn cliche.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Remus West wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:10 am On a side note, she hated Firefly.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Remus West wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:44 am The Letter for the King? Is this also Netflix?

Yes, season one of The Letter for the King is available on Netflix. I believe it's based on a series of books and is most likely targeted at teens/YA but I thought it was enjoyable.
hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:53 am
Tao wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:48 am I gather the movie has a high popularity right now but the way they left things and how they structured the story, not really sure where they could go with it, but then I'm not a screenplay writer so.

Yes, they were not exactly subtle about it, but as I alluded to in my post, the way they structured the story prior to the characters last second appearance they will either need to go through some writing gyrations or fall back on old tropes to make it work.
Last edited by Tao on Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Remus West wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:47 am
hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:22 am I can understand how someone wouldn't like Firef....

If I could get her to dress up as Inara......oh, you meant me wearing them.....yeah, you've been doing that wrong my friend. Your hair is amazing but you are no Inara.
I always found it interesting the way you'd try to justify your Inara cosplay at Octocons by trying to tie them into the game we were about to play. Simply putting one of your meeples from Agricola into your faux cleavage didn't really make it thematically correct though.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Yep. There is zero chance that person could have been there without plain old magic.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Spoiler:
Wood rots, metal rusts, etc.. Eventually you'd probably be able to escape. Especially if you have a thousand years or so of periodically, frantically pounding on said wood. Then it's simply a matter of floating around for years until you're either found or you get to land. These are immortals, they ain't exactly racing the clock on anything. And even if that wasn't the case, it wouldn't be ridiculous to have her casket/coffin/whatever discovered by divers at some point over a thousand years. I don't think any of that is out of bounds in any way whatsoever. I thought the movie was (mostly) formulaic and meh, so I'm not exactly an apologist for it either :wink: .
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

hepcat wrote:
Spoiler:
Wood rots, metal rusts, etc.. Eventually you'd probably be able to escape. Especially if you have a thousand years or so of periodically, frantically pounding on said wood. Then it's simply a matter of floating around for years until you're either found or you get to land. These are immortals, they ain't exactly racing the clock on anything. And even if that wasn't the case, it wouldn't be ridiculous to have her casket/coffin/whatever discovered by divers at some point over a thousand years. I don't think any of that is out of bounds in any way whatsoever. I thought the movie was (mostly) formulaic and meh, so I'm not exactly an apologist for it either :wink: .
That makes sense. I hadn't thought of that.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:57 am
Remus West wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:47 am

I always found it interesting the way you'd try to justify your Inara cosplay at Octocons by trying to tie them into the game we were about to play. Simply putting one of your meeples from Agricola into your faux cleavage didn't really make it thematically correct though.
Says you. Inara visited more than a few farm worlds during her time on Serenity.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, I miss Octocons. :(
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:52 pm Ah, I miss Octocons. :(
Do you miss Jeff V in cycling shorts?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No, no I do not. That image is burned into my retinas so that every time I close my eyes, I see the events of what I've come to call "The Battle of the Bulge".

...a battle we all lost that day. :(
Covfefe!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

McNutt wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:09 pm
hepcat wrote:
Spoiler:
That makes sense. I hadn't thought of that.
I humbly disagree.
Spoiler:
Not about the part where she has escaped, but the part where she finds the exiled teammate. During the movie, the Newbie (name?) kept dreaming about the trapped immortal, still in the box. The other teammates made it clear that they dream about others like them until they meet, in a way that helps them find each other. So the immortal was still in the box during the events of the movie. Then, 6 months later, she shows up in the guys apartment. So in 6 months, a person who hasn't seen the light of day since Medieval times somehow has figured out how to navigate our world, including track down someone who doesn't want to be found. I believe she was even drinking something freshly brewed in his apartment. You know, after reading the Mr. Coffee manuals over and over again in her coffin.

Even if she was dreaming about him after escaping, only 6 months in a very confusing world seems a bit short to become so comfortable.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You base that on a very huge IF by
Spoiler:
assuming she's only been free for 6 months. They don't show any of the other immortals dreaming about each other AFTER they've met, so it seems to me that's a mechanism to bring them together initially. Not an ongoing Highlander GPS system for immortals. As for the dreams that Theron's character was having about her, they were never established as dreams about her friend's current state. I took them as tormenting nightmares about what happened to her friend. It's highly likely she's been out of Davey Jones Locker for a long time.

The movie had a few issues, but that ending wasn't one of them, imho.
Covfefe!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:49 pm You base that on a very huge IF by
Spoiler:
assuming she's only been free for 6 months. They don't show any of the other immortals dreaming about each other AFTER they've met, so it seems to me that's a mechanism to bring them together initially. Not an ongoing Highlander GPS system for immortals. As for the dreams that Theron's character was having about her, they were never established as dreams about her friend's current state. I took them as tormenting nightmares about what happened to her friend. It's highly likely she's been out of Davey Jones Locker for a long time.

The movie had a few issues, but that ending wasn't one of them, imho.
Spoiler:
Theron's character wasn't specifically having the dreams, it was the Noobie. Given that she started having that particular recurring dream after she became immortal suggests that the coffin issue was current.
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:03 pm No, no I do not. That image is burned into my retinas so that every time I close my eyes, I see the events of what I've come to call "The Battle of the Bulge".

I think I made it to three - and that day was one of them. What is the polar opposite of luck of the draw?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stessier wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:34 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:03 pm No, no I do not. That image is burned into my retinas so that every time I close my eyes, I see the events of what I've come to call "The Battle of the Bulge".

I think I made it to three - and that day was one of them. What is the polar opposite of luck of the draw?
Hate of the fate?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

Yeah I am with Freyland on this;

(Warning: Pedantic Geek post)
Spoiler:
When Nile, the new girl, has the dream and they start discussing Quyhn it was pretty explicit, or it was to me, that Nile felt her still locked in the box and that she had gone insane from the ordeal. I also went back and looked at the Iron Maiden and it was primarily crafted of metal, as obviously were the chains and lock. Feels a little too contrived that everything stayed in tact for 500 years and approximately 6 months. I know, hello, show about a secret group of immortals, so a bit nit-picky but still. Actually it was water that she was drinking in Booker's apartment, which I guess is some sort of gallows humor seeing as she spent 500 years (and approximately 6 months) drowning. Oh and I also had similar issue with, in the course of six months, she escaped from literally the bottom of the ocean, made it to shore, overcame the trauma adequately enough to function in society, found a means to speak the language, get money and the means to find an individual she had never met, someone most likely not wishing to be found, and locate him in modern day Paris France based solely on her dreams. I know, I know, SHOW ABOUT IMMORTALS! My other concern is they will go with the, "You promised to find me, you left me for 500 years, now I hate you and vow to destroy you" plot line.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

In addition to us agreeing on your spoiler to the letter, I'm feeling particularly sad that your last sentence will likely be the case for the sequel.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Tao wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:17 pm Yeah I am with Freyland on this;

(Warning: Pedantic Geek post)
Spoiler:
When Nile, the new girl, has the dream and they start discussing Quyhn it was pretty explicit, or it was to me, that Nile felt her still locked in the box and that she had gone insane from the ordeal. I also went back and looked at the Iron Maiden and it was primarily crafted of metal, as obviously were the chains and lock. Feels a little too contrived that everything stayed in tact for 500 years and approximately 6 months. I know, hello, show about a secret group of immortals, so a bit nit-picky but still. Actually it was water that she was drinking in Booker's apartment, which I guess is some sort of gallows humor seeing as she spent 500 years (and approximately 6 months) drowning. Oh and I also had similar issue with, in the course of six months, she escaped from literally the bottom of the ocean, made it to shore, overcame the trauma adequately enough to function in society, found a means to speak the language, get money and the means to find an individual she had never met, someone most likely not wishing to be found, and locate him in modern day Paris France based solely on her dreams. I know, I know, SHOW ABOUT IMMORTALS! My other concern is they will go with the, "You promised to find me, you left me for 500 years, now I hate you and vow to destroy you" plot line.
Spoiler:
Did they explicitly state that the dream was supposed to be a current view of that character? If they did, I missed it. My takeaway from the dreams were that they weren’t exactly something you could set your watch by. If anything I would see them as nightmares about the torture that character went through, as I noted earlier with Theron’s character’s dreams about her.

I just assumed she had been free for a lot longer than 6 months. So I’ll be disappointed if they reveal in the sequel that’s inevitable that that was the case after all.
Covfefe!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Just finished "V for Vendetta", which is leaving Netflix on August 1st. I would call it a Batman-grade superhero drama, with a little less emphasis on action than some of the BM flicks. Probably a 7 out of 10, with a point for hitting themes uncomfortably parallel to our present government. Would recommend pursuing before it leaves Netflix in 2 days.