2020 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Pyperkub

Re: 2020 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Pyperkub »

This projection would be unacceptable to me.
Dr. Sheldon Jacobson told CBS Sports he expects a 30%-50% infection rate of the approximately 13,000 players competing in FBS this season. Based on his research, he also projects 3-7 deaths among those players due to COVID-19.

"A few of them could end up in the hospital, and you'll have a small number who could die," Jacobson told CBS Sports. "I don't want to sugar coat it for you. I just want to give you the facts. … If everybody comes together under normal circumstances, we'll probably see that kind of outcome."

Jacobson made his projections from CDC data that estimates one death per 1,000 people who have symptoms in the college age group (18-22). Taking into account that range and medical care provided for football players, the death rate would be lower than the general population, Jacobson said.
30-50% is way too high to play, IMHO.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

What schools will hear:
If everybody comes together under normal circumstances, we'll probably see that kind of outcome.
How they will respond:
Reduce the number of fans, switch out the ball between plays, and have coaching staffs wear masks. No longer normal circumstances, poblem solved!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Not strictly NCAA, but c'mon Alabama!
Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKinstry said students have been organizing "COVID parties" as a game to intentionally infect each other with the contagion that has killed more than 127,000 people in the United States. She said she recently learned of the behavior and informed the city council of the parties occurring in the city.

She said the organizers of the parties are purposely inviting guests who have COVID-19.

"They put money in a pot and they try to get COVID. Whoever gets COVID first gets the pot. It makes no sense," McKinstry said. "They're intentionally doing it."

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pac-12 considering buying out Larry Scott's contract before TV negotiations begin
Pac-12 presidents are considering buying commissioner Larry Scott out of his contract early ahead of the upcoming round of TV negotiations, according to a report Monday from John Canzano of The Oregonian.

Scott has run the conference since 2009, and all but two of the conference’s 12 presidents or chancellors have switched chairs since then.

“There’s serious talk amongst the Pac-12 CEO Group,” one high-level conference administrator told the paper, “to end his contract ahead of the expiration date to have a fighting chance to save the (conference) Networks.”
:pop:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
JCC

Post by JCC »

The Pac 12 has to start playing all or the vast majority of their football games in the 12:30 - 5:30PM (local) time frame or they will always be the red headed step child of the power 5. Yes that means cramming their games into a tiny window and having no or maybe one game in (local) prime time. But most of the nation doesn't see some of their biggest matchups because they start too late.

They could also start games at 9-9:30AM local time, but I doubt they would ever go for that.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've always hated the late games, no one outside the P12 footprint ever even sees them. The conference keeps shooting itself in the foot by putting big games in time slots that don't end until 2am ET.

And while late games can be sorta fun in the early season, sitting through snowstorms and freezing temps for 8pm November starts in Utah and Colorado is absolutely miserable.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

That was all about the TV contract. Both in ceding the timeslot scheduling to the networks and the no-compete slots.

Though the August - September games in the desert do need to be at night

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

My guess is the SEC will be the guinea pigs for the other schools. It will likely be a disaster.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Not necessarily football-related, but I wasn't sure where else to put it. Stanford dropping 11 varsity sports at the end of the 2021 season.
Stanford University announced Wednesday that it will cut nearly one-third of its Division I sports programs at the end of the 2020-21 academic year as the COVID-19 crisis has threatened to worsen an already existing athletics department deficit. The move will affect more than 240 student-athletes and 22 coaches, according to a letter from school leadership.

The 11 sports that will be discontinued are as follows: men's and women's fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men's rowing, co-ed and women's sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men's volleyball and wrestling. University president Marc Tessier-Lavigne, provost Persis Drell and athletic director Bernard Muir signed the letter which detailed the "heartbreaking news."
JCC

Post by JCC »

The Ivy League pulled the plug on the CFB season.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And every other fall sport through the year’s end.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Conference-only schedule looking most likely, if a season is played at all.

All the BYU fans around here are freaking out because this means independents are gonna be screwed.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alexa, play, “All By Myself.”
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:31 pm Not necessarily football-related, but I wasn't sure where else to put it. Stanford dropping 11 varsity sports at the end of the 2021 season.
Stanford University announced Wednesday that it will cut nearly one-third of its Division I sports programs at the end of the 2020-21 academic year as the COVID-19 crisis has threatened to worsen an already existing athletics department deficit. The move will affect more than 240 student-athletes and 22 coaches, according to a letter from school leadership.

The 11 sports that will be discontinued are as follows: men's and women's fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men's rowing, co-ed and women's sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men's volleyball and wrestling. University president Marc Tessier-Lavigne, provost Persis Drell and athletic director Bernard Muir signed the letter which detailed the "heartbreaking news."
Men's VB is the most surprising here. No doubt a title IX scholarship balancing act for football, but surprising nevertheless. On the other hand, Stanford had 36 sports, the only other D1 school with over 30 was tOSU.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:10 am
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:31 pm Not necessarily football-related, but I wasn't sure where else to put it. Stanford dropping 11 varsity sports at the end of the 2021 season.

Men's VB is the most surprising here. No doubt a title IX scholarship balancing act for football, but surprising nevertheless. On the other hand, Stanford had 36 sports, the only other D1 school with over 30 was tOSU.
Isn't Stanford sailing where a lot of those bribes went? Seems like an easy cut.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:37 am
Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:10 am

Isn't Stanford sailing where a lot of those bribes went? Seems like an easy cut.
Looks like it was the only Stanford area discovered:
A review found that the mastermind behind the college admissions bribery scandal had approached seven coaches at Stanford University about potential sports recruits over the past decade, the school president said Tuesday.

Only one coach, the former head of the sailing program who pleaded guilty earlier this year, went along with the scheme proposed by college consultant William “Rick” Singer, according to an independent investigation the university funded.

“Singer directly or indirectly approached seven Stanford coaches about potential recruits between 2009 and 2019” but the investigation found no evidence that any athletic department employee aside from the sailing coach “agreed to support a Singer client in exchange for a financial consideration,” according to the statement by university President Marc Tessier-Lavigne.

His statement did not identify the six other coaches or name their sports

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

JCC wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:04 pm The Pac 12 has to start playing all or the vast majority of their football games in the 12:30 - 5:30PM (local) time frame or they will always be the red headed step child of the power 5. Yes that means cramming their games into a tiny window and having no or maybe one game in (local) prime time. But most of the nation doesn't see some of their biggest matchups because they start too late.

They could also start games at 9-9:30AM local time, but I doubt they would ever go for that.
The late games didn't hurt when the conference had a few dominant teams, but yea, I think in today's world any big game should be played no later that 5 pacific time. The problem is doing that in Arizona could cause some health problems. Fans on the west coast in general are not big day game fans.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Big 10 announced it's only playing conference games this Fall in all sports (including football). This season is fucked.
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:05 pm Big 10 announced it's only playing conference games this Fall in all sports (including football). This season is fucked.
P12 follows suit
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The Big 10 announcement said they'd play only conference games this fall . . . if they play any sports at all. I was 50/50 before, but I'm probably shifting in the direction of 25% chance of play at this point.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I would have no problem if College Sports hits the reset button like the Ringer suggests it will need to:
The people in charge seem to believe that this moment is critical for college football because canceling or postponing this season could break the system as we know it. But by stressing how important this season is to the bottom line, they have highlighted how broken the system really is. Everything collapses without games, and those games happen only if unpaid and predominantly Black players risk competing in unsafe conditions. If college football doesn’t use this moment to address its flaws, will that moment ever come?
I still don't think players should be paid however, outside of a stipend and maybe NIL. Pay for performance in the classroom maybe, but not on the athletic field.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

It sounds like the ACC is considering going conference only, and that conference only schedule would include Notre Dame.
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

IMHO, all of those schedules will be delayed at the least.
Football season is what I look forward to all year. At some point, it even surpassed college basketball as my favorite sport. In a hellacious year like 2020, nothing would soothe me more than sitting in front of the TV watching college football for 14 hours on a Saturday. It hurts to think of a year with no Heisman race, no college kickers, no Auburn chaos, no College GameDay, no band, no tailgating. But here we are.

The only thing worse than canceling the season would be not canceling the season. Proceeding as usual would mean sacrificing the health and, potentially, lives of young men who aren’t even paid for their labor. College football is already dangerous and exploitative by design. Forcing a season in the middle of a deadly pandemic is too callous even for college football.

Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

The National JuCo Association (I forgot their actual name) has announced that all fall sports would be cancelled and played in the spring if things allow it. My local Junior College district had already cancelled most fall sports.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rumors flying around on SLC sports radio this afternoon that the P12 is looking at cancelling all fall sports, with an announcement on Monday. Seemed very lightly sourced ("contact in the Utah athletic department"), but may be something to keep an eye on.

At this point, I just want to know if I get my $$ back for Utah season tickets or not.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:32 pm Rumors flying around on SLC sports radio this afternoon that the P12 is looking at cancelling all fall sports, with an announcement on Monday. Seemed very lightly sourced ("contact in the Utah athletic department"), but may be something to keep an eye on.

At this point, I just want to know if I get my $$ back for Utah season tickets or not.
I honestly can't see how there's a football season in 2020 if a Power 5 conference pulls the plug.
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:32 pm Rumors flying around on SLC sports radio this afternoon that the P12 is looking at cancelling all fall sports, with an announcement on Monday. Seemed very lightly sourced ("contact in the Utah athletic department"), but may be something to keep an eye on.

Wilner's plan:

Before the Power Five shift to February kickoffs, all reasonable options for this fall will be exhausted.

Let’s start that process right now: Forget the full slate of non-conference games. It’s not happening, and it shouldn’t happen...

...Central to the plan is that each three-week rotation creates the potential for a 14-day break from competition, allowing for the full Covid-19 quarantine and isolation periods (if needed to get players back on the field).

The two-on/one-off format would give local health officials more time to potentially change the number of fans allowed in stadiums — if fans are allowed in the stadiums — based on local infection trends.

In addition, we recommend the conference eliminate the Thursday and Friday games this season. (Again, ESPN and Fox have no choice but to be flexible.)

The Pac-12 needs everyone on the same schedule: The same competition schedule and the same testing schedule.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The entire Michigan State football program is in 14 day quarantine after a couple of positive tests among staff and one of a player during practices. Time to give up the ghost and cancel the season.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
JCC

Post by JCC »

I think in about a week is when they will have to figure out what they are going to do. I am not optimistic. It's just not getting better - quite the opposite. A vaccine is the only thing that's going to get us out of this mess and that isn't coming in time to save CFB this Fall.
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The ACC is doing a 10+1 schedule - each team (including Notre Dame) plays 10 conference games and one out of conference game. One division, and the top two teams play for the title in December.

Notre Dame got such an easy away schedule, while UVA's is BRUTAL.

Hodor.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

UNC’s schedule is also pretty tough. But I think there’s like a 20% chance the season actually lasts more than a few weeks.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:12 pm UNC’s schedule is also pretty tough. But I think there’s like a 20% chance the season actually lasts more than a few weeks.
At least UNC avoids Clemson.
Hodor.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:14 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:12 pm UNC’s schedule is also pretty tough. But I think there’s like a 20% chance the season actually lasts more than a few weeks.
We wanted a rematch after last year's oh-so-close-but-bonehead-2-pt-coversion-play-call.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:34 am
pr0ner wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:14 pm
We wanted a rematch after last year's oh-so-close-but-bonehead-2-pt-coversion-play-call.
Guess they'll have to come in 2nd in the ACC regular season to get that!

At least they don't have UVA's road schedule. Woof. At Clemson, FSU, Miami, AND VT.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Was listening to the radio today. I've never heard Sparty and the Walmart Wolverine agree on anything. Ever. Not once. Not even when it comes TheOSU. But overwhelmingly they are coming together today to say: "Fuck Notre Dame."
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

WTF Pac-12??? You can't have the UCLA-USC game in September???
In a reshuffled fall football schedule, UCLA will kick off the season against California in Berkeley on Sept. 19th.

A week later on Saturday, Sept. 26th, instead of playing Stanford at the Rose Bowl, the new schedule pits UCLA against crosstown rival USC in Pasadena.
Man, 2020 is really turning out to be batshit!

Side note, Kelly finally had a relatively light (SDSU wouldn't be "easy") non-conference schedule to gear up for the season and maybe, finally, get off to a good start for once and see if he can get things rolling. Now we may start with 2 of the toughest games in the Pac-12 (Cal was undefeated in games Garbers started/completed last year).

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

FWIW, my brother's friend is in a pretty high position in the athletic department of one of the ACC schools and is extremely doubtful any ACC football gets played this year. Per a recent message, the season hasn't been canceled yet because everyone is hoping someone else will make the decision to do it first (presumably he means one of the schools will cancel so that then all the rest can follow).
Black Lives Matter