Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Skinypupy »

Just found out an old HS friend (well, acquaintance) stood up a website selling...whatever you call these shirts. He’s apparently making a KILLING selling these to conservative housewives who are convinced they are being suppressed, censored, and oppressed by being asked to wear a mask.

Gotta hand it to him, there's damn good money to be made in conservative grift. As long as you have no principles, that is.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's a serious thing but it's hard not to have a laugh about it tonight. Even without Covid this is pretty dumb and extremely absurd. Jackson is a bit...sparse...so 100 cars parked in a neighborhood is going to draw attention.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:48 pm Just found out an old HS friend (well, acquaintance) stood up a website selling...whatever you call these shirts. He’s apparently making a KILLING selling these to conservative housewives who are convinced they are being suppressed, censored, and oppressed by being asked to wear a mask.

Gotta hand it to him, there's damn good money to be made in conservative grift. As long as you have no principles, that is.
I've long thought that getting rich is easy if you have drive, seed money, and no scruples. Hooray for your friend, I guess. That's how America's supposed to work.
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:08 pm
EVERY county in S.C. is now experiencing "high" COVID-19 activity...According to the AccelerateED report, school districts in "high" activity counties are recommended to do full virtual learning until conditions improve.
On the heels of that information above...

South Carolina, man - one step forward, 12 steps back.
GREENVILLE, S.C. —
Gov. Henry McMaster on Wednesday signed an executive order that will require face masks for all employees and patrons at restaurants, among other safety guidelines.

See Wednesday's total of new coronavirus cases and deaths at the end of this article.

McMaster announced during a news conference that all previously recommended guidelines of restaurants and other establishments that attract groups are now mandatory.

"These measures give South Carolina the best chance to slow the spread of the virus without shutting down the state's economy – which we cannot and will not do – as many continue to call for," McMaster said.

The governor also mandated that local officials enforce his executive order. Violating the order could result in a misdemeanor, McMaster said.

McMaster also called on local municipalities and counties to enact mask mandates that fit the needs of their communities.

The mandatory guidelines include the following:

Dine-in services at no more than 50% capacity
Masks or face coverings required for employees and patrons
Tables spaced to keep diners at least six feet apart
No more than 8 customers per table unless from the same family
Standing or congregating in bar area of restaurant is prohibited
Establishments that hold a state permit to sell alcohol are subject to these restrictions
The restrictions on restaurants are effective August 3rd.

The governor also announced he is opening other types of businesses, facilities, venues, events, or mass gatherings, under certain guidelines.

They include festivals, parades, concerts, theaters, stadiums, arenas, coliseums, auditoriums, grandstands, amphitheaters, gymnasiums, concert halls, dance, halls, performing arts centers, parks, racetracks, or similarly operated entities.

These facilities cannot exceed 50% of the occupancy, or 250 persons, whichever is less, and must require masks or face coverings as a condition of admission or participation, according to the governor.

"Hollywood is knocking and movie theaters will be ready to open. They will have to follow these rules. Go see your favorite movie, have some distancing, you'll have to wear a mask. High school football games will be able to played if the High School League plan is approved by the Department of Commerce because of course that would be more than 250 people," McMaster said.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:23 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:48 pm Just found out an old HS friend (well, acquaintance) stood up a website selling...whatever you call these shirts. He’s apparently making a KILLING selling these to conservative housewives who are convinced they are being suppressed, censored, and oppressed by being asked to wear a mask.

I've long thought that getting rich is easy if you have drive, seed money, and no scruples. Hooray for your friend, I guess. That's how America's supposed to work.
Later he can sell a new shirt "My family died from COVID-19 and all I got is this f***ing T-Shirt"
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:04 am
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:48 pmHe’s apparently making a KILLING selling these to conservative housewives who are convinced they are being suppressed, censored, and oppressed by being asked to wear a mask.
Later he can sell a new shirt "My family died from COVID-19 and all I got is this f***ing T-Shirt"
They'll be stocked right next to "They never told me this was such a serious problem"
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:44 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:04 am
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:48 pmHe’s apparently making a KILLING selling these to conservative housewives who are convinced they are being suppressed, censored, and oppressed by being asked to wear a mask.
They'll be stocked right next to "They never told me this was such a serious problem"
You could say he's helping to change minds, one death at a time.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: South Carolina, man - one step forward, 12 steps back.
"Governor mandates closure of all screen doors on the submarine, half a week from now."
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:00 am
stessier wrote: South Carolina, man - one step forward, 12 steps back.
"Governor mandates closure of all screen doors on the submarine, half a week from now."
Indeed. It's incredibly frustrating.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

And this was after he had been saying for the last month+ that he does not have the constitutional authority to mandate masks. :grund:

Rumor at my agency is that the SC governor is going to move the state to Phase 3 on Friday, which, as far as I can tell, more or less means we're back to business as usual. I'm sure that will do wonders for Covid cases in the state.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:28 am And this was after he had been saying for the last month+ that he does not have the constitutional authority to mandate masks. :grund:

Rumor at my agency is that the SC governor is going to move the state to Phase 3 on Friday, which, as far as I can tell, more or less means we're back to business as usual. I'm sure that will do wonders for Covid cases in the state.
With the exception of a higher percentage of masks - probably close to 50% most places I drive by - I don't see how we aren't already back to normal. I loved the part from the conference about making sure to get the plans approved so we could have high school and college football.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Well, at least at the state agency I work at, we still have limitations on how many people can be back in the office/lab (I think it's at 25% capacity). Once we move to Phase 3, those limitations are removed.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

"The Free Human Being Project" is a truly awful name. Shoulda gone with "Sovereign Citizen Lite."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Herman Cain has passed away from Covid-19. His last public appearance was at Trump's ill-fated Tulsa campaign rally.
Hodor.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:36 am Herman Cain has passed away from Covid-19. His last public appearance was at Trump's ill-fated Tulsa campaign rally.
Oops?
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:36 am Herman Cain has passed away from Covid-19. His last public appearance was at Trump's ill-fated Tulsa campaign rally.
The President of Ubeki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan sends his regards.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

pr0ner wrote:Herman Cain has passed away from Covid-19. His last public appearance was at Trump's ill-fated Tulsa campaign rally.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I feel bad for his wife and kids. No one deserves to go out that way.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

stessier wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:48 amI feel bad for his wife and kids. No one deserves to go out that way.
Nope. Not even when they buy the ticket themselves.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

"Florida will stop testing for the coronavirus for several days due to concerns about the potential impact from a looming tropical weather system." (Florida is averaging over 10,000 new cases a day.)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Yup. On one hand, these storms need to be taken seriously. On the other hand, almost nothing changes or closes for a Tropical Storm. I’ve held fantasy football drafts at restaurants during Tropical Storms before. My wife used to be a dog groomer, and they forced everyone to come in unless the storm was projected to be a major hurricane.

If dogs can get a haircut, the state can keep testing for the coronavirus.
Holman

Post by Holman »

msteelers wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:20 pm Yup. On one hand, these storms need to be taken seriously. On the other hand, almost nothing changes or closes for a Tropical Storm. I’ve held fantasy football drafts at restaurants during Tropical Storms before. My wife used to be a dog groomer, and they forced everyone to come in unless the storm was projected to be a major hurricane.

No testing, no cases, amiright?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

msteelers wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:20 pm If dogs can get a haircut, the state can keep testing for the coronavirus.
By not testing, the reported number of cases will drop substantially, allowing the GOP to declare that tropical storms are the cure for Covid.
Black Lives Matter
Enough

Post by Enough »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:13 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:48 amI feel bad for his wife and kids. No one deserves to go out that way.
I wonder when it starts to have an effect of getting people to take it seriously? Cain was frequently calling COVID a hoax and now he's gone. How many conservative it's a hoax types are we up to dying from it now? I also saw the co-founder of Turning Point died of it yesterday.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Holman wrote:
msteelers wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:20 pm Yup. On one hand, these storms need to be taken seriously. On the other hand, almost nothing changes or closes for a Tropical Storm. I’ve held fantasy football drafts at restaurants during Tropical Storms before. My wife used to be a dog groomer, and they forced everyone to come in unless the storm was projected to be a major hurricane.

No testing, no cases, amiright?
100% correct!
Jeff V wrote:
msteelers wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:20 pm If dogs can get a haircut, the state can keep testing for the coronavirus.
By not testing, the reported number of cases will drop substantially, allowing the GOP to declare that tropical storms are the cure for Covid.
Lol! I’m stealing that. Thanks!
Enough

Post by Enough »

Enough wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:37 pm
I wonder when it starts to have an effect of getting people to take it seriously? Cain was frequently calling COVID a hoax and now he's gone. How many conservative it's a hoax types are we up to dying from it now? I also saw the co-founder of Turning Point died of it yesterday.
Answering my own question, that'd be a no.

https://twitter.com/theangiestanton/sta ... 8533350402
Spoiler:
All the celebrities and Democrats catch COVID and magically heal. But Herman Cain is dead! I swear I hate it here. I was right there with him. We were perfectly fine!!! This is WAR!!!

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

If only this thing could just target republicans.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Anyone want to point out that she just admitted to hating America (here)?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Enough wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:52 pm
So instead of taking precautions and working to avoid getting sick, the theme becomes getting angrier and amping the conspiracy theories.
RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:58 pmIf only this thing could just target republicans.
There may be some Republicans left that don't follow in lock-step with what seems to be the ignorant majority on their side.
Last edited by Paingod on Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Enough wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:52 pm

https://twitter.com/theangiestanton/sta ... 8533350402
Spoiler:
All the celebrities and Democrats catch COVID and magically heal. But Herman Cain is dead! I swear I hate it here. I was right there with him. We were perfectly fine!!! This is WAR!!!
I just made the mistake of looking at the rest of her Twitter feed.

Good lord, that woman is a gorram loon.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The Johns Hopkins University site that I've been hitting has switched to a new format that plonks each state's COVID case counts right on tiny graphs for quick, easy comparison.

Maine is currently getting ~17 new cases per day. Trump supporters are riding around in pickup trucks with #FuckMills in big, bold letters on their tailgates because they hate her for her COVID policies.

Florida is currently hitting ~9200 new cases per day. If Maine (1.35m) had a population identical to Florida (21.48m) our infection rate would be 574 new cases per day instead of 9200. If my math isn't borked, that means Florida is 1,600% more infectious than Maine right now.
Black Lives Matter

Enough

Post by Enough »

Do we know he got it at the Tulsa rally? Are we saying that Trump could kill a guy in Tulsa and he wouldn’t lose any voters? I feel badly for Caine's family. My dad had dinner with him when he was on the Fed and said he was quite nice in person though they didn't agree on politics.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:09 pm So instead of taking precautions and working to avoid getting sick, the theme becomes getting angrier and amping the conspiracy theories.
Homer Simpson wrote:It's everybody's fault but mine.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Our governor said his Superintendent would not approve any school plan without a face to face option. Our county based it's plan on three key metrics around virus spread. Given our current situation, we're in full Remote Learning mode.

Today the Superintendent approved with a stipulation:
The School District of Greenville County: Plan approval is contingent upon the district offering an in-person option no later than September 14, 2020. DOE Spokesman Ryan Brown said this means Greenville County Schools students must have in-person class at least one day per week starting Sept. 14.
Greenville County School Superintendent Dr. Burke Royster released the following statement:

“We appreciate the confidence Superintendent Spearman expressed in our reopening plan when she was in Greenville last week and by her official approval today. The plan follows all the latest guidance from SCDHEC and the Centers for Disease Control. As we implement our plan, we will continue to regularly consult with not only those agencies, but with health and medical professionals from Prisma and Bon Secours. Parents, students and teachers can rest assured that safety remains our top priority.”
I like our superintendent's answer which didn't actually say we would do what was asked.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enough wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:26 pm Do we know he got it at the Tulsa rally? Are we saying that Trump could kill a guy in Tulsa and he wouldn’t lose any voters?
The timeline isn't entirely clear. There are people that know the details, but I don't know if we'll ever hear specifics.

Tulsa rally was on 6/20 and he tested positive on 6/29. It was the evening of 7/1 when he was hospitalized.

So 9 days is well within the window, but he could have also been exposed just prior and sitting at the rally giving it to others. That doesn't seem as likely to me; I'd be inclined to believe he was exposed while attending using the information that's been publicly shared. I can also assume that the people sitting around him at the rally (photos he posted on Twitter) - none of them tested positive or we would have also heard about it.

At this point, it really doesn't matter where he got it. Instead the takeaway should be that his vocal opposition to masks likely contributed to his exposure in some way.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:58 pm If only this thing could just target republicans.
The Republicans are already larger shinier targets due to self-selection.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

My biggest shock with that article is that there is a house like that in Jackson, NJ. I've driven around Jackson a bit while heading to 6 flags but don't recall seeing any areas with a house like that.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us