Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by Kasey Chang »

stessier wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:40 pm Our governor said his Superintendent would not approve any school plan without a face to face option.
The only acceptable "face to face" option would involve a bunch of masked students six feet apart in the open baseball field or parking lot with a teacher using bullhorns shouting instructions.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:55 pm At this point, it really doesn't matter where he got it. Instead the takeaway should be that his vocal opposition to masks likely contributed to his exposure in some way.
I am sorry he died, every life lost to this pandemic is terrible, but he was immuno-compromised due to him being treated for cancer. He was an idiot for not wearing a mask, and an even bigger idiot for going to the Trump rally. Some times you really do reap what you sow.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:03 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:40 pm Our governor said his Superintendent would not approve any school plan without a face to face option.
The only acceptable "face to face" option would involve a bunch of masked students six feet apart in the open baseball field or parking lot with a teacher using bullhorns shouting instructions.
All teachers will be replaced by marching band directors.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:46 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:03 pm
All teachers will be replaced by marching band directors.
And we shall call them the Orange Pioneers.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:46 pmAll teachers will be replaced by marching band directors.
Too dark?

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not in this timeline.
Formix

Post by Formix »

Anyone else see this one? Very popular on The Facebooks -https://c19study.com/ supposedly showing that Hydroxy is actually a CURE! C'mon sheeple! The whois was illuminating in that it was not at all illuminating.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

You mean Contact Privacy Inc. Customer for your domain registration doesn't lend to your credibility?
Formix

Post by Formix »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:13 pm You mean Contact Privacy Inc. Customer for your domain registration doesn't lend to your credibility?
It may as well have been Honestly Not A Russian Front Inc.
raydude

Post by raydude »

stessier wrote:I feel bad for his wife and kids. No one deserves to go out that way.
Personally I feel worse for the health care workers who had to take care of his sorry ass and who put themselves at risk treating him and people like him.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

raydude wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:43 pm
stessier wrote:I feel bad for his wife and kids. No one deserves to go out that way.
Personally I feel worse for the health care workers who had to take care of his sorry ass and who put themselves at risk treating him and people like him.
And the service workers, in general, who were put in danger because of his arrogance and willingness to participate in spreading that willfully ignorant risk. There are very few people I wish the virus on, Cain wasn't one of them. But asking me for sympathy is a stretch I can't make at this point.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Formix wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:03 pm Anyone else see this one? Very popular on The Facebooks -https://c19study.com/ supposedly showing that Hydroxy is actually a CURE! C'mon sheeple! The whois was illuminating in that it was not at all illuminating.
Someone on FB cited this page. But I don't know know who puts it together (I tried searching online, but no luck), don't know their qualifications, and don't know if these studies really prove what they say they do. So it's impossible to know.

Ok, I just randomly selected one study and it is clear that these are being misused. The study was NOT about the use of hydroxychloroquine, but it was looking at the susceptibility of rheumatoid arthritis patients to Covid-19. It noted that many such patients get hydroxy for treatment and it noted that those who do seemed to do better (an observational study). But it specifically noted the following:
We found that the rate of symptomatic COVID-19 was lower in patients taking hydroxychloroquine than in patients taking other DMARDs. Notably, however, the benefits of hydroxychloroquine were observed in comparison with other immunosuppressive medications in patients with rheumatic diseases and so these findings are not generalisable to patients who do not require immunosuppression.
So, no, I would not trust this site.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:clap:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

/Mal: but...but... ah never mind.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:38 pm
He was so close!

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When this is all over, there needs to be an accounting and people need to answer for their deeds:
Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner’s team expressed: that because the virus had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. “The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” said the expert.

That logic may have swayed Kushner. “It was very clear that Jared was ultimately the decision maker as to what [plan] was going to come out,” the expert said.
Read more, here:

BREAKING: My latest @VanityFair
story, a detailed investigation into how the White House secretly drafted, then abandoned, a plan to nationalize America's broken #COVID19 diagnostic testing system.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The very definition of depraved indifference.
Holman

Post by Holman »

We need a word to describe the smoothly botoxed inhumanity of faces like Kushner's and Zuckerberg's.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Assuming the Democrats gain control, I really hope there is an investigation of Trump's response to the virus - along with many other things.
Enough

Post by Enough »

The idea of Kushner being in charge of the vaccination rollout strategy should scare anyone.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Formix

Post by Formix »

I truly don't know if any of this matters anymore. Just look at any of your friends/family who are Trumpaloos. There have been 4 years of facts culminating in a crashing economy and at this point 150,000 dead Americans. They're still "on the train". I do not believe there will ever be a meaningful reckoning or admission by anyone. I feel like we're so fractured at this point it would be better to leave investigations and admonitions behind, and whenever more sane heads prevail, just move forward. Spend zero energy on the past.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Formix wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:14 am I truly don't know if any of this matters anymore. Just look at any of your friends/family who are Trumpaloos. There have been 4 years of facts culminating in a crashing economy and at this point 150,000 dead Americans. They're still "on the train". I do not believe there will ever be a meaningful reckoning or admission by anyone. I feel like we're so fractured at this point it would be better to leave investigations and admonitions behind, and whenever more sane heads prevail, just move forward. Spend zero energy on the past.
I like the idea but the problem is that they can not leave it in the past. In fact, that is where they culturally live. They dig through the ashes of the past digging up 'failures' and throwing in the path to the future.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Formix wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:14 amSpend zero energy on the past.
That's a hard pass from me. This needs to never happen again and those that had anything to do with how we got to this point need to be dragged into the spotlight and held to account.

Unrelated, what the hell is happening in Utah?
Utah students will be allowed to go to school even if they’ve been directly exposed to COVID-19, according to new guidelines released Thursday by the state health department.

Under what officials are calling “a modified quarantine,” parents will be given the choice to keep children home or send them back to class after close contact with the contagious virus — which they can do as long as the student is not showing any symptoms and no one in the immediate household has tested positive. Teachers and staff, too, can continue to come to work with the same rules, especially in cases where there are no substitutes available.
Have we not been hammering the idea that there's a window of time between when you're exposed and when you're clinically ill that you can (and likely are) spread the virus while appearing healthy?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Fauci issued warning that Ohio and Indiana may become very very bad in the way Florida and Texas went bad. I feel boxed in. :(
Do you suppose it would be a bad thing to call up the National Guard and post them along our entire Southern border to prevent entry? :P
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:41 am Unrelated, what the hell is happening in Utah?
A whole lot of assholes screaming "YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!", basically.

It's infuriating.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:41 am
Formix wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:14 amSpend zero energy on the past.
That's a hard pass from me. This needs to never happen again and those that had anything to do with how we got to this point need to be dragged into the spotlight and held to account.

Unrelated, what the hell is happening in Utah?
Utah students will be allowed to go to school even if they’ve been directly exposed to COVID-19, according to new guidelines released Thursday by the state health department.

Under what officials are calling “a modified quarantine,” parents will be given the choice to keep children home or send them back to class after close contact with the contagious virus — which they can do as long as the student is not showing any symptoms and no one in the immediate household has tested positive. Teachers and staff, too, can continue to come to work with the same rules, especially in cases where there are no substitutes available.
Have we not been hammering the idea that there's a window of time between when you're exposed and when you're clinically ill that you can (and likely are) spread the virus while appearing healthy?
Maybe they do get it. They give the parents a choice. Keep Johnny Petri and his potential COVID in the house 24-7 or send him out for several hours each day while you fumigate. Remember, time of exposure is a factor.

Ok, maybe not.

The problem is that half-assed, voluntary measures are only as strong as the least compliant individual.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

How are you an educational professional in that environment? Kids pulled out for being directly exposed, all the other kids have the option to remain and educational staff must continue?

(I know it's paranoia but it sure does feel like there is a strong intentional effort to break public schools. Like there is seizing of opportunity going on)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:12 pm

How are you an educational professional in that environment? Kids pulled out for being directly exposed, all the other kids have the option to remain and educational staff must continue?

(I know it's paranoia but it sure does feel like there is a strong intentional effort to break public schools. Like there is seizing of opportunity going on)
Pretty sure this would break within a few weeks either because the teacher's union goes on strike, or there are simply not enough healthy teachers left to keep the schools open.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

DeVos and her charter cronies are absolutely salivating.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

gilraen wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:17 pm

Pretty sure this would break within a few weeks either because the teacher's union goes on strike, or there are simply not enough healthy teachers left to keep the schools open.
Utah Educators Association was already leaning that direction before this guidance came out. I can only imagine that will accelerate that discussion.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

State won't collect, release data on coronavirus cases in Tennessee schools.

Problem solved - there won't be any reported coronavirus cases in TN schools! How hard is that, you egghead libs?
Black Lives Matter.
Enough

Post by Enough »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:30 pm State won't collect, release data on coronavirus cases in Tennessee schools.

Problem solved - there won't be any reported coronavirus cases in TN schools! How hard is that, you egghead libs?
You should feel lucky we are even giving you schools you damn beggars!

Enough

Post by Enough »

South Korea is kicking our ass at containing COVID-19. We have more cases in one day right now then they have cumulatively. Here's an article that tries to look at what they are doing that is working.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm sure this will go over well when it's finally released:

NEW from CDC: #COVID19 outbreak at an overnight camp in Georgia infects *at least* 260 campers & staff.
-51% of positives 6-10yo
-44% 11-17 yo
-Camp required a test <12 days before arriving & attempted "pods"
-Masks required for staff but NOT campers
-*Out of 597 campers & staff, 344 were tested and 76% of those tests were positive
-26% positives report no symptoms
-Bottom line from @CDCgov
: Children of *all* ages are susceptible to #SARSCOV2 & "might play an important role in transmission"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:17 pm I'm sure this will go over well when it's finally released:

NEW from CDC: #COVID19 outbreak at an overnight camp in Georgia infects *at least* 260 campers & staff.
-51% of positives 6-10yo
-44% 11-17 yo
-*Out of 597 campers & staff, 344 were tested and 76% of those tests were positive
: Children of *all* ages are susceptible to #SARSCOV2 & "might play an important role in transmission"

Do you know where I would look for the report when it is online? My boss is part of a group trying to put together a boy scout gathering and I think this would help his cause to shut it down.
Last edited by stessier on Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:17 pm I'm sure this will go over well when it's finally released:

-51% of positives 6-10yo
-44% 11-17 yo
Shouldn't have tested. Then no one would have it.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Must have been embargoed until 1pm EST. Thanks for the assist!

stessier wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:25 pm Do you know where I would look for the report when it is online? My boss is part of a group trying to put together a boy scout gathering and I think this would help his cause to shut it down.
If this doesn't give him pause, I don't know what could.
These findings demonstrate that SARS-CoV-2 spread efficiently in a youth-centric overnight setting, resulting in high attack rates among persons in all age groups, despite efforts by camp officials to implement most recommended strategies to prevent transmission. Asymptomatic infection was common and potentially contributed to undetected transmission, as has been previously reported (1–4). This investigation adds to the body of evidence demonstrating that children of all ages are susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 infection (1–3) and, contrary to early reports (5,6), might play an important role in transmission (7,8). The multiple measures adopted by the camp were not sufficient to prevent an outbreak in the context of substantial community transmission. Relatively large cohorts sleeping in the same cabin and engaging in regular singing and cheering likely contributed to transmission (9). Use of cloth masks, which has been shown to reduce the risk for infection (10), was not universal. An ongoing investigation will further characterize specific exposures associated with infection, illness course, and any secondary transmission to household members. Physical distancing and consistent and correct use of cloth masks should be emphasized as important strategies for mitigating transmission in congregate settings.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Remus West wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:01 pm Fauci issued warning that Ohio and Indiana may become very very bad in the way Florida and Texas went bad. I feel boxed in. :(
Do you suppose it would be a bad thing to call up the National Guard and post them along our entire Southern border to prevent entry? :P
While Indiana's numbers are getting worse, the ICU capacity has been holding. It looks like admissions are 1/3 of peak and the numbers in hospital are 1/2 of peak. I do see more people wearing masks - but I still see stupid.
words