Mafia Trilogy Remastered

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: Mafia Trilogy Remastered

Post by YellowKing »

I started MAFIA 3 back up and fortunately still had a valid save game. So I won't have to start all the way over, which is nice.

However, apparently the game thought I could not run it with all of its new fancy settings, and reset me to a "potato mode" version that looked like complete ass. Which is stupid since the game ran fine before. I had to manually go in and reset the graphic option to High.

Incidentally, it initially wouldn't launch at all. I figured out how to fix it by uninstalling Citrix Workspace. I had another game (can't remember off the top of my head) that would not launch with that installed. Crazy.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It occurred to me that while Mafia 3 is technically an OK game, as a Mafia game, it disappoints not only because it's repetitive in nature, but because overall, it doesn't quite feel like the Mafia series in terms of core gameplay. The core gameplay in this one in fact feels more like Assassin's Creed when it comes to killing key figures and taking over territory.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had to reinstall it twice. I used a reshade on it. made the lighting and such perfect...but flubbed up some textures and the skybox was hideous . Square stars. I decided to give up modding it and just play it. Doing good. Although that darkness like haze is annoying.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, I finished playing Mafia 2 Definitive Edition. It definitely looks nicer. I think as nice as the original version of the game was, it looked a bit flat at times, lacking colour depth. Cranking up all the post-processing options, the game feels quite smooth for the most part and looks much sharper. Aside from the buggy eyes, there are no game-stopping bugs. I think one of the most noticeable changes is the improved lighting, which really makes a difference in certain missions, such as the one where you save Joe. In that mission, the one set in a half-completed skyscraper, you have work lamps actually casting dynamic lighting and shadows, something I don't remember from the original. Overall, the scene is better lit as a result. Another improvement are the controls. I remember controller support being half-baked in the original. I ended up playing this version entirely with the controller, whereas in the original version I ended up driving with a controller and doing the gunplay via the keyboard, but it's totally doable via controller here and feels good. There are lots of people complaining about the glitches such as the smoke and the eyes and some framerate issues, and they seem to have expected a remake rather than a remaster. But none of that bothered me enough to enjoy the fact that they've done a great job upping the visuals in this remaster.

Moving on to Joe's Adventures.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Mafia Definitive Edition story trailer. Looks damned impressive!

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Here's a gameplay reveal for the remaster of the first game. They give us a look at 'A Trip to the Country', and it looks like they've done a really good job of recreating the setting and atmosphere while keeping everything else pretty much intact. One of the better improvements right off the bat is the game having an actual cover system, something the original game didn't have.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That looks really good. Lately these remasters of older games have seemed to look worse than the originals. But this one doesn't. Its strange as it doesn't seem familiar to me at all and I finished the game. I liked them in order 1 2 3. Maybe I just remember Vito more.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:31 pm That looks really good. Lately these remasters of older games have seemed to look worse than the originals. But this one doesn't. Its strange as it doesn't seem familiar to me at all and I finished the game. I liked them in order 1 2 3. Maybe I just remember Vito more.
They say it's a remake, from the ground, up.... so not a 'remaster'.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, they basically rebuilt it completely from the ground up, but as they explain in the video, they tried to keep the level design mostly as it was, keeping it in spirit of the original, sometimes improving in places. Still, I definitely agree that this looks better than most remakes.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Map comparison between original Mafia and Mafia Remake. It looks fairly detailed and pretty much the same as before. Expanded in some places, and using less right angles in some of the streets, from what I can tell. Some districts have been renamed, such as Hoboken now named Holbrook, Oak Hill now Beech Hill (to differentiate between Oakwood I'm guessing), and New Ark to North Park. There also seems to be more countryside.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Here's a comparison between the original game vs the remake.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

As long as they kept the music from the original I'm in.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

This friday.

I'm generally scoffing at people excited for remakes, like move on people... but this, this I must have.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

can't wait to hear the renewal of complains on the car racing mission.... Note, I didn't have a problem with it :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Same.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:43 pm As long as they kept the music from the original I'm in.
Word.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:43 pm As long as they kept the music from the original I'm in.
Licensed Song List
Spoiler:
  • "St. James Infirmary" - Cab Calloway
  • "Minnie the Moocher" - Cab Calloway
  • "Manhattan Jam" - Cab Calloway and His Orchestra
  • "Evenin'" - Cab Calloway and His Orchestra
  • "The Darktown Strutters' Ball" - Django Reinhardt
  • "A-Tisket A-Tasket" - Django Reinhardt
  • "Blue Drag" - Django Reinhardt
  • "Sophisticated Lady" - Django Reinhardt
  • "Tiger Rag (instrumental)" - Django Reinhardt
  • "Black and Tan Fantasy" - Duke Ellington
  • "Crescendo in Blue" - Duke Ellington
  • "Echoes of Harlem" - Duke Ellington
  • "Hot and Bothered" - Duke Ellington
  • "I'm Satisfied" - Duke Ellington
  • "In A Sentimental Mood (instrumental)" - Duke Ellington
  • "It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)" - Duke Ellington
  • "It's Glory" - Duke Ellington
  • "Prelude to A Kiss" - Duke Ellington
  • "The Mooche" - Duke Ellington
  • "Azure" - Duke Ellington
  • "Creole Love Call (instrumental)" - Duke Ellington
  • "Drop Me Off in Harlem" - Duke Ellington
  • "I Let A Song Go Out of My Heart" - Duke Ellington
  • "Mood to Be Wooed" - Duke Ellington
  • "Diminuendo in Blue" - Duke Ellington
  • "Heart and Soul" - Eddy Duchin and His Orchestra
  • "My Old Flame" - Guy Lombardo
  • "Little White Gardenia" - Hal Kemp & his Orchestra
  • "Back Beat Boogie" - Harry James
  • "Beyond the Blue Horizon" - Jeanette MacDonald and the Rounders
  • "True Confession" - Larry Clinton and His Orchestra
  • "When Lights Are Low" - Lionel Hampton
  • "(I'll be Glad When You're Dead) You Rascal You" - Louis Armstrong
  • "Thanks for the Memory" - Mildred Bailey
  • "Sing You Sinners" - The High Hatters
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They seem to have removed the Slim & Slam version of Chinatown, likely to it being fairly offensive by today's standards.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:01 am This friday.

I'm generally scoffing at people excited for remakes, like move on people... but this, this I must have.
It's an offer... you can't refuse ;)
It does, but they've re-recordered it. In fact it's quite expanded on from the original as this time around there are radio stations

naednek wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:44 pm can't wait to hear the renewal of complains on the car racing mission.... Note, I didn't have a problem with it :P
From what I hear via video's I've watched from those who've had early access to it, it's actually considered one of the best parts of the game now. They've expanded on everything in this game. Examples are what were background characters such as Sarah, are now given more in-depth roles. With her character for instance, you see her more throughout the course of the game, which is important given that Tommy marries her. The racing scene has been expanded quite a bit and apparently you spend more time at the track doing more missions there, and not just racing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I haven't been following this very much, but if it's a good remake I'll be in for sure. Mafia 1 is one of my favorite games ever. And the racecar mission was easy if you plugged in a gamepad... We were too proud back in the day to do something crazy like that. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The racing mission killed me. It didn't feel like an arcade driving game race, it felt like a racing game race. That's a set of skills I don't have. I'd likely do better now after all the time in GTA titles over the years, but that was one of the first games like that and I just didn't have the know-how to pass it.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:56 pm The racing mission killed me.
Me too. I remember calling my son in to do a "little favor" for dad. :lol:
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I preordered over on Green Man Gaming, 17% off. I would have waited, but I know myself and that I'd probably be getting it anyway no matter what the reviews :roll:. Are we going to start an official Mafia: Definitive Edition thread?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As I said I dont think the race was a problem for me. As I recall I got it on the 2nd try. But I also think I remember it had problems. Either it was floaty or the cars were slippery or something. It didn't feel right. Plus the opponents were madly skilled.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:08 pm I preordered over on Green Man Gaming, 17% off. I would have waited, but I know myself and that I'd probably be getting it anyway no matter what the reviews :roll:. Are we going to start an official Mafia: Definitive Edition thread?
Perhaps, but it depends on the interest level. It could just as well fit in this thread.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm deep into Crusader Kings III right now so I don't know how many impressions I'll be posting right away, maybe some "it runs OK" and how the controls work (I use an X360 controller by the way). While I have fond memories of Mafia, I don't really remember much about the story or the gameplay, other than how damn long it took to drive across the map when you obeyed the speed limits! :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, apparently the one thing they've removed from the remake are speed limits. While the game still has a speed limiter, which I was impressed to hear about, cops will no longer pull you over for speeding. That's one unique thing both Mafia and Mafia 2 had that 3rd didn't have.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Boo. I liked that. It kept you from just tearing through town like a madman the way you do in every other game.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, it's one aspect of the series that set it apart from other open-world games. Of course, it's possible I misunderstood something from one of the videos I watched, but it seemed to say it was no longer possible.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I 'd swear that I've played the original Mafia at some point, but it's not on any of the hundreds of streaming platforms I have, so I'm thinking I might have played it.......off a disk!!!!

I don't recall very much of the game at all, so I'm thinking I most likely bailed at the race sequence.
I will be taking the plunge for this.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I usually bristle at the thought of paying AAA price for remasters/remakes, but those comparison videos look really good. It looks like this nearly took as much work as creating a new game. And of course, the package includes all three games. It's hard to believe the original Mafia is 18 years old.

I wonder if it loses any of its charm in the upgrade. To me, that was a special period in PC gaming, when production quality began to ramp up, and blurry textures and 3D modeling/gameplay jank began to disappear. The bad/mediocre voice acting of the smaller roles was part of its charm.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:54 am I usually bristle at the thought of paying AAA price for remasters/remakes, but those comparison videos look really good. It looks like this nearly took as much work as creating a new game.
Yeah, it looks like possibly one of the best remakes ever made. They've rebuilt it from the ground-up and expanding it in places where it makes sense, and it looks like it was all done while respecting to the original. They've even recreated the intro from what I've seen, and it's quite amazing the amount of detail they've put into it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:06 pm Well, apparently the one thing they've removed from the remake are speed limits. While the game still has a speed limiter, which I was impressed to hear about, cops will no longer pull you over for speeding. That's one unique thing both Mafia and Mafia 2 had that 3rd didn't have.
I read that it was a setting you could disable, but was on by default. I picked it up and I'll be diving in as soon as it releases.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

gbasden wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:03 am
Rumpy wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:06 pm Well, apparently the one thing they've removed from the remake are speed limits. While the game still has a speed limiter, which I was impressed to hear about, cops will no longer pull you over for speeding. That's one unique thing both Mafia and Mafia 2 had that 3rd didn't have.
I read that it was a setting you could disable, but was on by default. I picked it up and I'll be diving in as soon as it releases.
That would likely be the speed limiter I mention earlier. I doubt there'd be a setting for cops to chase you and that seems like an internal design choice.

Btw, speaking of the soundtrack mentioned earlier, I found this was fairly interesting:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Nope, apparently it's the classic mode. Or at least is in the classic mode.

https://www.psu.com/news/mafia-definiti ... xperience/
Hangar 13 has detailed Mafia: Definitive Edition’s Classic difficulty, which is aiming to recreate the original game’s experiences all the way back from the early 2000s.

Announced in a blog post, the difficulty will make driving more demanding and remove in-world navigation signs from the streets. Police will also be much more aggressive on Classic, with even driving a little over the speed limit causing them to come after you. Enemies are also far more aggressive and can deal more damage to you. They also don’t show up on the game’s minimap. Reloading will also forfeit any bullets you have in your clip, meaning you will need to pay attention to how much ammo you have left. There will also be a trophy for completing the game on this difficulty.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ok, I stand corrected :D I knew about the classic mode, but didn't realize the extent of it. That's really cool, and I feel it shows the extent of the respect they have for the original game. I just hope that with classic mode, we'll be able to tweak things to our liking without having to completely disable it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Mafia: Definitive Edition release times:
Enlarge Image
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Garrrrr. I had Mafia 2 in my steam library (now converted of course, yay!) but not the original. Pretty sure I have original on disc somewhere, never installed. Any connection or storyline sharing between the two?

I’ve made a commitment to actually make a dent in my absurd backlog this year going forward (and am actually doing it, for once).

I’m sure when I’m on my deathbed I will look back on my life with pride, wishing only that I had spent MORE time in front of the computer playing vidya (/HankHill) games. :p
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:47 pm Mafia: Definitive Edition release times:
Enlarge Image
Man that would be great... except my son has his first band performance at a football game tonight and apparently I am supposed to go... to a high school football game. I didn't care when I was *in* high school.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:01 am Garrrrr. I had Mafia 2 in my steam library (now converted of course, yay!) but not the original. Pretty sure I have original on disc somewhere, never installed. Any connection or storyline sharing between the two?
One cameo that you'll only recognize if you've finished Mafia 1.