Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pr0ner

Re: Random randomness

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:41 am You need to unlock the achievement where mac and cheese becomes the base, not the point. For example, adding a spoonful or two of chili or BBQ pulled pork over a bowl of mac and cheese.
There's a local BBQ restaurant in the DC area called Rocklands that makes what they call the Rocklands Pearl. Take a bowl, fill it with a stack of mac and cheese, baked beans, and pulled pork, then top it with BBQ sauce. Hot damn.

It's even better when you can convince them to put a layer of cole slaw on top.

Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:41 am You need to unlock the achievement where mac and cheese becomes the base, not the point. For example, adding a spoonful or two of chili or BBQ pulled pork over a bowl of mac and cheese.
Chilimac never floated my boat but BBQ+Mac and Cheese is a thing. And appropriately enough some of the best Mac and Cheese I can get comes from Slow's BBQ.

I am one guy. I box of Mac and Cheese needs to be the point or not at all... Normally I'd eat like one box a year, but Costco had a sale, and so I thought "I can do 18 boxes of comfort food"...

Also pr0ner's photo looks really good.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

OO Effect strikes again!

So I bought a bag of pistachios at Costco. In a generous handful there were none without a crack. But I appreciate the tip on using a shell insert on some of the tight ones.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:08 pm But I appreciate the tip on using a shell insert on some of the tight ones.
Nature's tools!
We have been eating shelled pistachios with salt and pepper from Aldi's. They are so yummy!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

KKBlue wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:31 pm
Jaymann wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:08 pm But I appreciate the tip on using a shell insert on some of the tight ones.
Nature's tools!
We have been eating shelled pistachios with salt and pepper from Aldi's. They are so yummy!
Heh, I keep looking at those and the Costco ones too but then I don't get them. As those are the only two places I seem to be shopping right now, I'm guessing this thread will call to me on my next trip out (which is immanent. I had to got to a restaurant to carry out for lunch today. :shock: (Wherein I I got enough food for dinner and tomorrow's lunch. :oops: ) )
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I was reading the NFL thread and I got to thinking..................was my first year in the army my rookie year?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

We don't usually give the cats treats. Recently I bought them a bag. It turns out they like them. Now, every time they hear a crinkly bag they think it's treats. My cashews. The laundry detergent pods. Anything. And when no treats follow, or I instead eat what's in the bag, they stare at me with this hurt look like I've stolen food out of their mouths.

(And no I haven't been eating the detergent pods. Though I do have the strange craving to spread them on my toast.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

1) I just discovered I can do a day shop at ALDI during WFH in under 20 minutes, where the store is empty and the asiles are full, including the ever elusive Ice Cream cones.

2) Is there anything worse than getting home and having to pee but knowing the first thing you need to do is wash your hands for a good minute.

3) Damn you all and your pistachio musings, though maybe cracking shells will help me reduce my snack consumption volume, while still allowing me to snack.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Until seeing The Meal's sig it never occurred to me why this song was named as such

And it's one of my favorite Seger song. Crazy. (Also I suddenly hear "Seven Nation Army" in this song. Also crazy)

Edit, I'm not crazy... Well not for hearing "Seven Nation Army", anyway

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Had not heard that Seger song, but that's pretty great.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I was reading something a while back about a couple had a Norwegian flag at their inn and somebody came in and was outraged that they were flying a Confederate flag.
It never ceases to amaze me how stupid some people are.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:40 pm I was reading something a while back about a couple had a Norwegian flag at their inn and somebody came in and was outraged that they were flying a Confederate flag.
It never ceases to amaze me how stupid some people are.
https://news.yahoo.com/ignorance-turns- ... 03106.html
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

You know how people get Seasonal Affective Disorder in the cold winter months? They get depressed, anxious, and frustrated when there’s no break in the cold? I’m like that, but In reverse during the summer.

Seeing a forecast of 10 days straight with 95-100 degree temps without a single cloud anywhere makes me depressed. Even though I’m rarely out in it, heat makes me absolutely miserable. This time of the year always finds me irritable, anxious, and short-tempered.

Days like today with 100 degree temperatures, clear blue sky, and not a cloud to be seen are my absolute definition of hell. I’d take 10 degrees and snowing over this every single time.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, Michelle came home from work today with a story. She could barely stop laughing long enough to get through it.

She and her co-worker (we'll call her Rachel) were were working in the group camp at the state park today. At one point, Michelle hears a cry,

"Help!"

"Help!" Rachel's voice.

She rushes around looking for Rachel, and finds that she got stuck in the walk-in freezer.

"How so?", says I. "Every walk-in I've ever seen has an emergency handle on the inside of the door."

"No, you don't understand...."
Spoiler:
"...she was frozen to the floor!"

It had been pouring rain all day, and they were both soaked. Rachel's shoes had frozen to the floor of the freezer, and she was afraid to take them off because her socks were just as wet. They ended up pulling her free - minus about half of her shoe soles.

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

:lol:

I've worked plenty of jobs with walk-ins, but have never heard of that happening before.

MHS has a fun story about an exchange student's first time hot tubbing in North Dakota which has a similar theme.

:lol:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I've come to the conclusion that the staff at the regional Amazon warehouse is getting kickback from the industrial-shipping complex. I placed two orders over the last few days, and they were split up into a total of 6 shipments that will be individually arriving over the next 3 days. In the last order before these, they split off a $4 add-on (2 boxes of Bacon Dippers) and shipped it separately.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

And for today's useless but cool random thing you now know, I give you this.

Blazing Saddles had an entirely hoseback premier in 1974.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:44 am And for today's useless but cool random thing you now know, I give you this.

Why would they sit on hoses?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:55 am
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:44 am And for today's useless but cool random thing you now know, I give you this.

Why would they sit on hoses?
PETA.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I feel bleh.

Yesterday I woke up and my head and face itched, and were red. By bedtime it looked like I had been sunburned from my scalp to my knees (I wasn't in the sun), and I was having slight chills, but no fever. This morning the chills are gone, but when I woke up my face was slightly puffy, and I just feel... bleh. It's almost like I have a mild hangover (I don't.)

Everything makes think of an allergic reaction, but I can't for the life of me think of anything new I've been exposed to. No new clothes, sheets, pillows, detergents, bath products, etc.

Getting to the doctor is such an acrobatics act for us that I'm hoping this fades on its own.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Benadryl might help.

On another note. I was listening to Casey Kasem's Top 40. They recounted a story from Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top fame who was 34. Ya it was 1983 :) When he was a child his family all packed up and went to Las Vegas for a vacation. At the hotel him and another kid..not sure if family or a friend....headed to the pool. But it was packed. So like any kid they started wondering the hotel looking for something to do. Thats when they ran into a movie great and all around tough guy. I cant do the accent here so Ill just tell you it was Humphrey Bogart. This was in the 50s. Turns out Billy said he was actually a sweet gentle person. He offered them to sit with him and talk and bought them sodas until dad found them lol. That would've been so cool.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Paingod wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:38 am Yesterday when I woke up, my ankles were itching like hell and I found numerous small red welts on them, clustered in one spot, and individual spot in another, etc. I assumed something had been gnawing on me in my sleep and I vowed to check all around my bed before turning in. Later in the day when I showered, I felt a sudden burning pain as water ran down my leg and found a new cluster of small red welts and it clicked.

A week ago I had been mowing and bumped an old wheelbarrow we had flipped over under the deck. A small swarm of yellowjackets came out and attacked my ankles. While the stings hurt when they happened, they didn't seem to leave any mark except little red spots. Every single one of the red welts I had yesterday corresponded with a spot where I had been stung.

It just took a week for my body to respond. :?: :?:
So this year is a good year for yellowjackets in Maine, apparently. I was stung again last weekend. After dealing with the first nest, I stopped worrying about it. Then I was poking around the rose plant under the deck to see if I could find what was eating the leaves and bumped a compost bin, which pissed off the hive that moved in. I ended up with a fresh sting on my left wrist.

This time my body didn't wait a week. It waited about 24 hours. The next morning my wrist was swollen and angry-red. Then, over the course of the day, that swelling traveled up my arm. Right now, 27 hours after it started, it's almost to my elbow. My wrist and elbow both hurt to twist/turn or put pressure on, but I'm otherwise fine. The interwebs tell me this might persist for 48 hours. It's far more severe than my first encounter, and is from just one tiny sting instead of half a dozen.

Yellowjackets have official gone on my "Will wage war against" bugs list.

With no way to get at the hive inside the compost bin, and no desire to contaminate the whole thing with Raid, we hatched a plan to vaccuum them out of the bin with a shop-vac with all the extensions attached together and the whole thing on the end of a pole. From about 9 feet away I sucked up every little nasty bugger that flew out of there, and a couple times again through the day. This morning when I bumped the bin and ran, no little hornets flew out.

I now have a shop-vac in my basement that's been plugged up with a hand towel and contains ~40-50 very angry stinging bugs. I'm fine with waiting them out.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lordy! I lost over an hour of my time today for nothing. My Regions bank has been slow since they closed their lobby to customers. I mean their drive thru is like a parking lot. If there were 2 in front of me and no one else there it would take 10 min to get to me or more. Today they had 3 lanes open and I was 4th in line. I sat there over 45 minutes! I got up there and their system was down. Figures. Money wont post until tomorrow night. Ugh.

Then Burger King. Its been awful. Ive passed it by 3 times. Today looked semi ok. I get inside and there are 5 people in front of me. Not that bad. She takes ONE ORDER then walks off and I dont see her for 15 min. During this time 2 people got their order and they were people sitting at tables. There was still 4 to order and 3 waiting at the counter. She then came back and said something about taking care of drive thru first. I loudly said "I QUIT" and left.

On the only plus side of the day I asked the lady at Dollar General if they had any hand sanitizer. She said they were sold out. After thinking a moment she reached behind the counter and simply handed me 2 large bottles of it. Said it was from corporate for employees only but they sent a crate of it and they didn't need that much. So free. Nice! She said it smells funny but if I didn't mind. I smelled of it and ya its one of those weird smelling ones. The label says like 66% ethyl alcohol so guessing its safe....may not work great but better than nothing as everyone is sold out.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

My company recently completed a big merger, so there is a lot of reorganization going on. I just got a leadership team all hands invite . . . in Comic Sans.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Fretmute wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:07 pm I just got a leadership team all hands invite . . . in Comic Sans.
:lol: I'm so sorry.

TIL, leave corn in husk, nuke for 3 minutes, cut base to shuck easy.

For one person and one or two ears of corn? Less prep, less time, less clean up. I don't nuke anything if I can avoid it. I now am going to eat corn on the cob more regularly (as long as I can find it in husk) and nuke it.

This was my first fresh produce in months... So good....
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh ya...also in Walmart I saw some folks without masks on. Not many and it was crowded. Maybe 4 total. I asked the cashier about it and she said they cant enforce the mask like I thought they could with it being private property. They can make you wear pants but not a mask? Strange as one is for modesty and one is to save lives. Anyways she said people are just plain crazy these days and some would shoot you over the mask. We talked about armed guards are needed and I said Walmart would never spend the money and she agreed and laughed nervously.

I had felt safe...well safER...in Walmart when I thought masks were ordered. Now not so much.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Well it's been like 18 month and I'm out of Naruto and out of Dragon Ball (boy, what a show that is not MeToo or stereotype friendly. I wonder if the bigotry would have seemed that flagrant to me 20 years ago) and it's been so long since I've watched much of anything else, I don't know what else to do. I tried some of the TiVo suggestion movies and as it turns out, unless I really want to see a movie, I don't have the attention span. I'm pretty hip on watching more anime (manga?) but I'm really in above my head. Naruto was really good. Dragon Ball just occupied the time. I loved me some One Punch Man, which I think it what pulled me in. I thought Attack on Titan has been fantastic to date and am eager to see where it goes. That's the extent of what I know. I need to do me some learning.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:15 pm Well it's been like 18 month and I'm out of Naruto and out of Dragon Ball (boy, what a show that is not MeToo or stereotype friendly. I wonder if the bigotry would have seemed that flagrant to me 20 years ago) and it's been so long since I've watched much of anything else, I don't know what else to do. I tried some of the TiVo suggestion movies and as it turns out, unless I really want to see a movie, I don't have the attention span. I'm pretty hip on watching more anime (manga?) but I'm really in above my head. Naruto was really good. Dragon Ball just occupied the time. I loved me some One Punch Man, which I think it what pulled me in. I thought Attack on Titan has been fantastic to date and am eager to see where it goes. That's the extent of what I know. I need to do me some learning.
Cromartie High School - the animation is totally crap but it's actually kinda funny
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Van Dread
Dirty Pair Flash
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Jack
Last Exile
Howl's Moving Castle

All ones Ive enjoyed over the years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I tried Samuri Jack but Adult Swim's streaming was terrible, or at least it is for my connection. The poor streaming saw my attention wander and I don't tend to come back to shows once they lose my attention.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:49 pm On the only plus side of the day I asked the lady at Dollar General if they had any hand sanitizer. She said they were sold out. After thinking a moment she reached behind the counter and simply handed me 2 large bottles of it. Said it was from corporate for employees only but they sent a crate of it and they didn't need that much. So free. Nice! She said it smells funny but if I didn't mind. I smelled of it and ya its one of those weird smelling ones. The label says like 66% ethyl alcohol so guessing its safe....may not work great but better than nothing as everyone is sold out.
Keep in mind what the FDA has specifically warned about:
FDA.gov wrote:[7-2-2020] FDA is warning consumers and health care providers that the agency has seen a sharp increase in hand sanitizer products that are labeled to contain ethanol (also known as ethyl alcohol) but that have tested positive for methanol contamination. Methanol, or wood alcohol, is a substance that can be toxic when absorbed through the skin or ingested and can be life-threatening when ingested.

The agency is aware of adults and children ingesting hand sanitizer products contaminated with methanol that has led to recent adverse events including blindness, hospitalizations and death.

Methanol is not an acceptable ingredient for hand sanitizers and must not be used due to its toxic effects. FDA’s investigation of methanol in certain hand sanitizers is ongoing. The agency will provide additional information as it becomes available.

Consumers who have been exposed to hand sanitizer containing methanol and are experiencing symptoms should seek immediate treatment for potential reversal of toxic effects of methanol poisoning. Substantial methanol exposure can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you experience a coma or death, please seek medical attention.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:32 pm I tried Samuri Jack but Adult Swim's streaming was terrible, or at least it is for my connection. The poor streaming saw my attention wander and I don't tend to come back to shows once they lose my attention.
Do you get HBO Max? (Geez, am I a corporate shill or what?) They have a "CrunchyRoll" segment that has lots of anime. (They also have Samurai Jack on the Adult Swim segment, which is bound to be better than the stand-alone AS streaming.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Anonymous Bosch

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:34 pm If you experience a coma or death, please seek medical attention.
Alas, most people tend to forget where the phrase 'blind drunk' truly originated. Suffice to say, it wasn't hyperbole back when methanol-poisoning literally killed and blinded thousands during the Prohibition era.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:48 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:32 pm I tried Samuri Jack but Adult Swim's streaming was terrible, or at least it is for my connection. The poor streaming saw my attention wander and I don't tend to come back to shows once they lose my attention.
Do you get HBO Max? (Geez, am I a corporate shill or what?) They have a "CrunchyRoll" segment that has lots of anime. (They also have Samurai Jack on the Adult Swim segment, which is bound to be better than the stand-alone AS streaming.)
I do not but I've been thinking about it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well you make me worry. Its not on the FDA's list of bad sanitizers. You'd think we'd heard something if DG employees were all going blind. I dont have much of my normal sanitizer left and stores are pretty bare pickins.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

These Photos From The 1966 World Science Fiction Convention Prove Cosplaying Is Timeless

Those are pretty good for 1966. Be sure to view the entire gallery.

Enlarge Image
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:00 pm Well you make me worry. Its not on the FDA's list of bad sanitizers. You'd think we'd heard something if DG employees were all going blind. I dont have much of my normal sanitizer left and stores are pretty bare pickins.
Unless you specifically need to sanitize while out and about, soap and water is typically a better option anyway:

Why soap and water work better than hand sanitizer to remove the coronavirus
UCHealth.org wrote:And there’s a little known secret about good, old-fashioned soap, even if it’s the cheap, generic kind.

It works better than hand sanitizer to remove the coronavirus.

How could this possibly be true?

Well, it’s all about chemistry, says Dr. Daniel Pastula, a UCHealth neuro-infectious disease expert who recently assisted local public health officials in Summit County as the coronavirus sparked a spike of cases in their area.

Pastula is a neuro-infectious disease expert and neurohospitalist at UCHealth University of Colorado Hospital and an associate professor of neurology, infectious diseases and epidemiology for the University of Colorado School of Medicine and the Colorado School of Public Health.

Pastula said soap is a simple, but highly effective tool.

(Washing your hands for at least 20 seconds with any kind of soap works great for getting rid of the coronavirus. Pastula is a fan of Gloria Gaynor’s video showing her lathering up as she sings her song, “I will Survive.”)

Millennia ago, humans discovered that they could combine animal fat with alkaline salts or ash to create what we now call soap.

“And this combination did a remarkable job at cleaning,” Pastula said.

In more recent years, humans discovered that alcohol can kill bacteria and viruses like the new coronavirus that has sparked a global pandemic. Hand sanitizer is made up mostly of alcohol, so sanitizers have become a popular choice as people try to stay safe from the coronavirus.

While hand sanitizer can neutralize the coronavirus, it doesn’t have one little-known superpower that soap has.

“Soap disrupts the sticky bond between pathogens and your skin, allowing the pathogens to slide right off. Not only are you neutralizing the virus with the soap, but you’re also physically knocking it off your hands,” Pastula said. “Hand sanitizer doesn’t do all of that.”
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Today we went through the drive-in at Dunks and the cashier told us the car ahead had already paid for Wife's iced tea and bagel. Huh. I suggested paying for the car behind us. She did, and it was about the same price as she would've paid for her own order. Pay it backwards!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Or do like the old meme...pay for theirs at the first window then pick it up and drive off at the 2nd :twisted: :mrgreen: :ninja: