Iron Harvest

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paingod

Iron Harvest

Post by Paingod »

I feel a little let down that y'all didn't tell me that MechCommander had a child with Company of Heroes ... set in the 1920's. $1.2M raised on KickStarter.

Iron Harvest, due out December 2019. Still digging into info.

Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
TheMix

Re: Iron Harvest

Post by TheMix »

I'm not an RTS player, generally. Though, that does look pretty cool.

But I have to ask... WTH was that 'thing' at 2:22 in the video? :shock: :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

:lol:

Good question!
-mf
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

My money's on: Something to make sure you were paying attention... I missed it until you pointed it out! I was watching the screens.

What I thought was pretty cool was that an artist made something really cool, and these guys saw it and said "That's a game we need to make"
Black Lives Matter

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Same artist that inspired the Scythe boardgame, I see... a shared world with two different games licensed from it. 8-)
-mf
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Paingod wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:54 am My money's on: Something to make sure you were paying attention... I missed it until you pointed it out! I was watching the screens.

What I thought was pretty cool was that an artist made something really cool, and these guys saw it and said "That's a game we need to make"
Much like The Tales from the Loop table top RPG. Might even be the same artist

Edit: No different artists but similar themes
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I love the art but my RTS interest is very low. An actual TBS in the same world would be interesting though!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Madmarcus wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:46 am I love the art but my RTS interest is very low. An actual TBS in the same world would be interesting though!
This is following the Relic style of RTS so you can expect it to be significantly slower paced than games like StarCraft. It's more about positioning and tactics. During the Kickstarter I think a pause and issue orders option was also confirmed for single player.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

There's also Scythe the board game if you want turn based with the same art!
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I've looked at Scythe a couple of times but don't want to spend that much on a game that won't get much real play.

I enjoyed Eugen's Wargame ALB but haven't gone back to similar games more recently. It's fairly moot anyway as my current computer can't play much of anything. I'll have to live vicariously through you guys.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Please don't be mediocre. Please don't be mediocre. Please don't be mediocre. Please don't be mediocre.

I really want to want this game. I mean, I want it... but not if it's not worth playing. Everything I've seen makes it look good, though.
Black Lives Matter

Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

OK I think I'm gonna need this. There's a demo on Steam.
I no longer post here.
Holman

Post by Holman »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:15 pm There's also Scythe the board game if you want turn based with the same art!
My family has been playing this all summer. It's a very good game!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Holman wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:29 am
wonderpug wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:15 pm There's also Scythe the board game if you want turn based with the same art!
My family has been playing this all summer. It's a very good game!
It is very good, and the digital adaptation on Steam is equally good.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Paradroid wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:21 amOK I think I'm gonna need this. There's a demo on Steam.
I've started to assume that any company issuing Demos now actually cares and has faith they've made something worth a damn. I'll have to go check this out.

Remember when everything had a demo?
Black Lives Matter

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I need to try this again. I backed the Kickstarter and played an early build and walked away a bit disappointed. It wasn’t bad per se but it definitely felt like an inexperienced company trying to copy Company of Heroes. That said, this was over 6 months so I really hope they have polished it up.

I’m also in the camp of I really want this to turn out well. The last RTS I got invested in was Dawn of War 2 and that is 11 years old at this point. :shock:
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The Demo through Steam offers some meat to chew on at no cost. I played last night for ~3 hours. I stepped through several campaign stages and quit when I got too tired to keep playing and was in the first "Build a base" mission.

The assessment of it being a CoH clone is spot-on, but it's a clone with a different soul and some very cool looking units. I'm currently leaning towards a pre-purchase before September 1st with maybe a 75% certainty.
Black Lives Matter

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

haven't tried the demo yet, but does it have the 'physics' and individual unit control of CoH?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:09 pm haven't tried the demo yet, but does it have the 'physics' and individual unit control of CoH?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by physics. The environment is destructible - heavier mechs can walk right through buildings and walls like Tanks in Company of Heroes could. There are anti-armor mines, like CoH. There are Engineers that can build sandbag wall and barbed wire, just like CoH. In the free battle/skirmish, you capture resource points and build base structures, just like CoH. The units even have a "Retreat!" button that sends them running back to your base, just like CoH. My first Skirmish went about as well as my first one in CoH with the AI expanding faster than I did early on.

The units are typically groups of soldiers that try to get in cover when you move them near it. You can direct squads individually, but you can't select one person out of the squad to go out alone.

I can confidently say that CoH plays better and has more refinement, but Iron Harvest's demo was still fun enough that I'm considering dropping $50 on the game. I really like the units, and it's not so janky that I found it offputting; it just needs refinement, and it may get it. One thing it does do differently is that when you defeat a squad - any squad - they drop their weapons and you can equip them to a squad to change their type but retain experience - so your Engineer squad becomes grenadiers or machine gunners or rocketeers if you swap out their guns.
Black Lives Matter

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Game is officially released now. Some cringey child voice acting in the tutorial aside the campaign seems pretty solid so far. Haven't managed to find a multiplayer game yet though. Wojtek is best bear.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Hmm. I'm still very interested but looking at the reviews and comments on Steam it sounds like it released too early. I'll wait for now.
I no longer post here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If the RTS is dead, then Iron Harvest is some pretty slick necromancy.

GREAT - 8 of 10

If the RTS is dead, then Iron Harvest is some pretty slick necromancy. A classic-style single-player campaign with a strong story complements the absolute satisfaction of big, stompy mechs.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I played my first multiplayer game. It feels a lot better than it did during the beta. That said, I feel I need to appologize to my teammate. The enemy marched a mech the size a standard city block into my base while I was still puttering around with this little mech with a musket and bayonet. I told it to go try stabbing It but it did not go well for us. :oops:
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

It's on sale on Steam for $40.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm tempted, but for $40 I can't add a game to my backlog without feeling a strong urge to get to it.

I really do like the units, setting, and story as I found it during my demo. I'd probably pick it up even without a sale the next time an urge to play Company of Heroes is upon me.
Black Lives Matter

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Resurrecting this thread, as I recently discovered this on Xbox Game Pass for PC and it's a blast. Highly recommended if it slipped under your radar when it came out.

Has a nice Company of Heroes of feel, but the campaign is a ton of fun with a great storyline and I really enjoy the alt-1920s steampunk theme.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, I tried it a couple of months ago. Love the theme, story, units, etc. Only problem: I suck at company of heroes. Go figure.
Black Lives Matter