News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Isgrimnur »

Freyland wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:35 pm Just finished "V for Vendetta", which is leaving Netflix on August 1st. I would call it a Batman-grade superhero drama, with a little less emphasis on action than some of the BM flicks. Probably a 7 out of 10, with a point for hitting themes uncomfortably parallel to our present government. Would recommend pursuing before it leaves Netflix in 2 days.
Moving to HBO Max
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Halfway through “The Last Dance”, the documentary on the 90’s Chicago Bulls teams. They did a remarkable job putting this thing together,

And good lord, this show is a pure nostalgia injection.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Doesn't Umbrella Academy s2 debut today?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:50 pm Doesn't Umbrella Academy s2 debut today?
Yep - was out this morning before I left for work.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And it’s great so far. :wub:
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Just finished Ozark season 3, and wow, what a ride. The first half felt kind of average and to be honest, I wasn't a fan of the bickering between the two of them, as I wished they would work more together than against, but the second half was more interesting, I felt, especially the last 3 episodes which were pretty intense. And I never saw that coming!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:37 pm And it’s great so far. :wub:
I just finished episode 4. I like it better than the first season but it's possible that's because I know who the characters are and the main mystery is not "what am I watching" but rather "how are they going to fix it this time". I like the new characters.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I finished Warrior Nun over the weekend. It's not Buffy, maybe it's not even good per se, but I enjoyed it and wanted more once it finished.

High praise, I know.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:06 am I finished Warrior Nun over the weekend. It's not Buffy, maybe it's not even good per se, but I enjoyed it and wanted more once it finished.

High praise, I know.
Calling it "not Buffy" is a little too kind. The only more I wanted when it was over, for it to actually have an ending. Bore me most of the season and then end on a cliffhanger? GTFO.

Following that with Cursed has really made me question Netflix. Hell they are making me feel better about Jessica Jones.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Anyone watching Transformers: War for Cybertron? I'm two episodes in and it is slllllooooowww.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:35 pm Anyone watching Transformers: War for Cybertron? I'm two episodes in and it is slllllooooowww.
Haven't but it's on my list. Unless you tell me it sucks.
coopasonic wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:21 pm Calling it "not Buffy" is a little too kind. The only more I wanted when it was over, for it to actually have an ending. Bore me most of the season and then end on a cliffhanger? GTFO.

Following that with Cursed has really made me question Netflix. Hell they are making me feel better about Jessica Jones.
:)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No matter how much you dislike a show, always remember ICHSMW.

It Could Have Starred Mark Wahlberg.

I think I’ll get that in a tattoo.
Covfefe!
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:21 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:06 am I finished Warrior Nun over the weekend. It's not Buffy, maybe it's not even good per se, but I enjoyed it and wanted more once it finished.

High praise, I know.
Calling it "not Buffy" is a little too kind. The only more I wanted when it was over, for it to actually have an ending. Bore me most of the season and then end on a cliffhanger? GTFO.

The wife and I quite liked Warrior Nun. I loved the stunning vistas and scenery. Made me want to visit Spain again. If all you wanted was non stop action then I can see how you might be bored at times. Still, I liked the lead and the supporting characters. I gave it a thumbs up.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Watched season 5 of Last Chance U. I enjoyed it and was a nice change from the Jason Brown shit show. Laney college players get no scholarships, no housing, no food allowance. Also had some good pieces on the gentrification of Oakland. Overall I recommend it, coach Beam is a huge step up from the two previous coaches and the players have great stories including the grandson of Marion Zimmer Bradley
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You want a good mystery series? The Stranger. I’m two episodes in and can’t wait to find out what the hell is going on. :wub:
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Just finished watching Season 2 of Umbrella Academy. It was strange because I didn't remember watching Season 1, so I clicked on it and stupid Netflex bum rushed me right to episode 10. But by the end of that, it all started coming back to me. Season 2 was satisfying, although I didn't care much for a certain OP character.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:You want a good mystery series? The Stranger. I’m two episodes in and can’t wait to find out what the hell is going on. :wub:
The twists on The Stranger were beyond ridiculous and my wife and I just kept laughing as the show went on. But we also really enjoyed it so strap in and enjoy the ride!

If you like The Stranger watch Safe next from the same author.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Excellent, thanks for the recommendation. And yeah, The Stranger is all about the twists.
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Enjoying S2 of The Umbrella Academy thus far - the recap was pretty funny, and I love the music choices, not only for the actual music, but how they echo and are relevant to the storylines - very, very cool. On ep 5 now I think.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I finished watching season one of The Umbrella Academy and thought it was pretty good. I am having trouble locking in on season two though, I like all the characters but I am not as invested in the story. In season one the story seemed more focused around the idea of a dysfunctional family
Spoiler:
that happen to have super powers
, and the dynamic was more interesting. While it's not a widely regarded film, Hancock had a similar twist that made it fun to watch. Season two's story feels a little more X-Files (which I was never a fan of), more focused on the mystery and the various tie in's leading up to the big reveal.

I am also working my way through Warrior Nun, think I am on episode 8 now so almost done. It's not bad, the core group of characters are interesting, although so far more interesting than the main protagonist but still fun to watch. The underlying theme is a bit of a retread but the main arc has just enough new twists to keep me going. Not sure about the longevity of a season two but I am still willing to see where the story goes.

I did stumble on to a show titled Midnight Diner that I am really enjoying and would highly recommend, it's a Japanese show from a few years ago. I searched the thread and no one appears to have mentioned it.The show centers around a Diner in Tokyo that is open from Midnight to 7:00 AM and the small cast of characters that frequent the shop. Each episode is about 25 minutes and are vignettes in to the life of some of the customers. The episodes are mostly quiet and simple short stories with a sappy or poignant ending but I like the way they are told and it's a nice respite. I like the aesthetic of each episode being akin to eating a meal, you start, you savor the taste and you finish. Apparently there are two versions, the original which aired and a Netflix produced version titled Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories, I am watching the original.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:37 am
hepcat wrote:You want a good mystery series? The Stranger. I’m two episodes in and can’t wait to find out what the hell is going on. :wub:
The twists on The Stranger were beyond ridiculous and my wife and I just kept laughing as the show went on. But we also really enjoyed it so strap in and enjoy the ride!

Almost done after binging the last two nights. Good Christ this show has more plots than a cemetery. Just when you get a twist for one, they introduce a new subplot that...you guessed it...has a twist.

But damn if it isn’t addictive as hell.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:17 pm

Almost done after binging the last two nights. Good Christ this show has more plots than a cemetery. Just when you get a twist for one, they introduce a new subplot that...you guessed it...has a twist.

You can’t help but binge it due to the series throwing yet another plot twist at you and you just have to keep unraveling it.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I’m a little more than halfway through season two of Dark. This show is aptly named! No one seems happy in the least, and I don’t think there’s been more than a handful of shots that had any sunshine. But I’m loving it.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
raydude

Post by raydude »

Tao wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:38 pm I did stumble on to a show titled Midnight Diner that I am really enjoying and would highly recommend, it's a Japanese show from a few years ago. I searched the thread and no one appears to have mentioned it.The show centers around a Diner in Tokyo that is open from Midnight to 7:00 AM and the small cast of characters that frequent the shop. Each episode is about 25 minutes and are vignettes in to the life of some of the customers. The episodes are mostly quiet and simple short stories with a sappy or poignant ending but I like the way they are told and it's a nice respite. I like the aesthetic of each episode being akin to eating a meal, you start, you savor the taste and you finish. Apparently there are two versions, the original which aired and a Netflix produced version titled Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories, I am watching the original.
Thanks for the recommendation! My wife and I decided to give this series a try tonight. We've only seen the first episode but we like it. My wife says it's like a cooking show with some drama on top. We both like the cooking scenes and the short cooking lesson at the end. I'm hoping every episode follows this format. As for the first episode, I remember learning how to make Japanese tamago egg omlet in a regular skillet, but I didn't know there was a special tamagoyaki pan! I want one! And the octopus weiners look so cute, we're thinking of making those for the kids' lunch one day.
Tao

Post by Tao »

raydude wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:48 pm
Tao wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:38 pm I did stumble on to a show titled Midnight Diner that I am really enjoying and would highly recommend, it's a Japanese show from a few years ago. I searched the thread and no one appears to have mentioned it.The show centers around a Diner in Tokyo that is open from Midnight to 7:00 AM and the small cast of characters that frequent the shop. Each episode is about 25 minutes and are vignettes in to the life of some of the customers. The episodes are mostly quiet and simple short stories with a sappy or poignant ending but I like the way they are told and it's a nice respite. I like the aesthetic of each episode being akin to eating a meal, you start, you savor the taste and you finish. Apparently there are two versions, the original which aired and a Netflix produced version titled Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories, I am watching the original.
Thanks for the recommendation! My wife and I decided to give this series a try tonight. We've only seen the first episode but we like it. My wife says it's like a cooking show with some drama on top. We both like the cooking scenes and the short cooking lesson at the end. I'm hoping every episode follows this format. As for the first episode, I remember learning how to make Japanese tamago egg omlet in a regular skillet, but I didn't know there was a special tamagoyaki pan! I want one! And the octopus weiners look so cute, we're thinking of making those for the kids' lunch one day.
I don't think it spoils too much to say, not to mention we seem to be the only ones watching, yes. I am mid way in to season two now and yes every episode has followed the same format, each show focuses on a particular dish and at the end the focused character of that episode will talk a little about it's preparation. I am still definitely enjoying the show but I am seeing one of the downsides to binge watching; by not stretching out the episodes to a weekly format, as it was designed and absorbing so much content at once, some of the repetitiveness becomes apparent. Think I will ration my viewing a bit. Still highly recommend.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
stessier

Post by stessier »

I finished Umbrella Academy season 2 this weekend. I like it. My biggest complaint is I don't like Ellen Page's acting. She is just so wooden to me. I think 5 is great though. Next season looks to be pretty interesting.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I agree about Ellen Page; she is easily the worst of all the actors on the show. And, frankly, I think her character is the least interesting. But I guess she's considered the "star" of the show (at least, her name appears first in the credits). :confusion-scratchheadyellow:
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

stessier wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:34 amI finished Umbrella Academy season 2 this weekend. I like it. My biggest complaint is I don't like Ellen Page's acting. She is just so wooden to me. I think 5 is great though. Next season looks to be pretty interesting.
I'm never much of a critic on acting, but her character is supposed to be a severely repressed, emotionally abused woman. Wooden isn't too far a stretch to be good acting for that role. :think:

I polished off the 2nd season yesterday and really liked it, more than the first. It ended on a weird note, but how could it not?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Paingod wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:08 am
stessier wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:34 amI finished Umbrella Academy season 2 this weekend. I like it. My biggest complaint is I don't like Ellen Page's acting. She is just so wooden to me. I think 5 is great though. Next season looks to be pretty interesting.
I'm never much of a critic on acting, but her character is supposed to be a severely repressed, emotionally abused woman. Wooden isn't too far a stretch to be good acting for that role. :think:
She was wooden in both seasons whether she was mad, happy, in love, or destroying the world. There has been no change despite her mental condition in the second season. If that is a character choice, it needs to be rethought as a cardboard cutout could deliver the same performance.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:46 pm

You can’t help but binge it due to the series throwing yet another plot twist at you and you just have to keep unraveling it.
Oh for cryin’ out loud, now I’m hooked on another of his shows, the aforementioned Safe. I just added the other 982 shows he’s written to my queue as well. They’re pure escapist trash, but I can’t help myself.
Covfefe!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

stessier wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:34 am I finished Umbrella Academy season 2 this weekend. I like it. My biggest complaint is I don't like Ellen Page's acting. She is just so wooden to me.
Bingo.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kurth wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:50 am I’m a little more than halfway through season two of Dark. This show is aptly named! No one seems happy in the least, and I don’t think there’s been more than a handful of shots that had any sunshine. But I’m loving it.
I'm past halfway of season 3 and it's just too much now.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:
$iljanus wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:46 pm

Oh for cryin’ out loud, now I’m hooked on another of his shows, the aforementioned Safe. I just added the other 982 shows he’s written to my queue as well. They’re pure escapist trash, but I can’t help myself.
I thought Safe took being ridiculous to the extreme. It makes The Stranger look sane by comparison. But we really enjoyed the craziness! Can't wait until you see one particular family and their problem solving skills in action...
Black lives matter!

JCC

Post by JCC »

I enjoyed "Safe" but Michael C. Hall's not so great English accent was a constant distraction. I don't really understand why his character couldn't just be an American living in the UK. Of course he was still much better in Safe than he was as JFK in The Crown!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:22 pm Enjoying S2 of The Umbrella Academy thus far - the recap was pretty funny, and I love the music choices, not only for the actual music, but how they echo and are relevant to the storylines - very, very cool. On ep 5 now I think.
Weird, I really didn't like the music choices in S2. I enjoyed S1 so much I built my own soundtrack but S2? Lorde and Backstreet Boys? No thanks.

Overall I enjoyed S1 much more than S2, mostly due to Hazel and ChaCha. I didn't enjoy any of the side characters in S2 nearly as much. I''ll have to re-watch in a few months and see if I enjoy it more than the first time through
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I finished Warrior Nun last night. There's plenty to criticize - the dialogue was weak, the voiceovers pointless - but I still really enjoyed it as goofy fun. It helped that I watched it with an old friend via Zoom, so that we could occasionally pause to make snarky remarks.

If they get a second season -- which they certainly need to address all the unanswered questions raised by the finale -- I hope it includes even more Nun Combat. Love seeing Sister Beatrice kicking ass (her acting is also a high point of the show).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I just finished S2 of The Umbrella Academy and enjoyed it overall. I think it was tighter (better edited) than S1. I had the same feeling about Lost In Space. Too many episodes in S1 of that show were just too long, but in S2 it felt like they made a concerted effort to have everything run about 45 minutes. It wasn't as bad for S1 vs S2 of the Umbrella academy (length), but I do feel like it was organized better.

Other than the weird sex guru stuff (sex swing jokes, really?), I think it was a better overall story than S1. I enjoyed the ending (and the last few minutes) tremendously.

Regardless, I would definitely recommend it. Great characters and I enjoy all the actors.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Trouble for the live action Avatar:TLA?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/12/2136 ... -departure
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:06 pm
Kurth wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:50 am I’m a little more than halfway through season two of Dark. This show is aptly named! No one seems happy in the least, and I don’t think there’s been more than a handful of shots that had any sunshine. But I’m loving it.
Totally get that. I finished it up last night, but at the halfway point is S3, I had to hit pause and go to the Dark fan wiki to help me keep track of who was who and what the hell was going on. That really helped me enjoy the remaining episodes and what I thought was a great finale.

Overall, this was one of my favorite Netflix originals. Also, the soundtrack is fantastic!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kurth wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:47 pm
Alefroth wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:06 pm
Totally get that. I finished it up last night, but at the halfway point is S3, I had to hit pause and go to the Dark fan wiki to help me keep track of who was who and what the hell was going on. That really helped me enjoy the remaining episodes and what I thought was a great finale.

Overall, this was one of my favorite Netflix originals. Also, the soundtrack is fantastic!
Ha, I finished it last night too. I'd say it was a somewhat satisfying ending, but I did mostly enjoy the show for the dialog, acting, and atmosphere even if the plot did get way too convoluted.

Just curious, did you watch it dubbed or with subtitles?