Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

stessier

Re: Corona Virus: It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

NJ R number jumps back up. I guess my secret bunker stocking plan over the summer might have been a good idea.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:51 pm NJ R number jumps back up. I guess my secret bunker stocking plan over the summer might have been a good idea.
If you haven't been restocking and preparing since May, you haven't been paying attention. Always. Be. Preparing.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:39 pm
Must have been embargoed until 1pm EST. Thanks for the assist!
stessier wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:48 pm
Thanks!
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:58 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:51 pm NJ R number jumps back up. I guess my secret bunker stocking plan over the summer might have been a good idea.
If you haven't been restocking and preparing since May, you haven't been paying attention. Always. Be. Preparing.
My wife saw me walk in with a pack of toilet paper the other day and was like...good thinking. The only thing I'm not stocking is meats. I'm not doing that with my increasingly iffy power service.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:04 pmThe only thing I'm not stocking is meats. I'm not doing that with my increasingly iffy power service.
I've been trying to restock Spam (no, seriously) since mid-March and it's been nearly impossible to find any. At this point, anything shelf-stable should be added (even a single can or box of something) to weekly food run and held in reserve. Just a single box or can that can be slowly accumulated over time, each week. Shelf stable single-serve packs of tuna are still easy to get. Would recommend.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:07 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:04 pmThe only thing I'm not stocking is meats. I'm not doing that with my increasingly iffy power service.
I've been trying to restock Spam (no, seriously) since mid-March and it's been nearly impossible to find any. At this point, anything shelf-stable should be added (even a single can or box of something) to weekly food run and held in reserve. Just a single box or can that can be slowly accumulated over time, each week. Shelf stable single-serve packs of tuna are still easy to get. Would recommend.
You don't know this, but my wife hates you. You empower my inner-prepper. :wub: :mrgreen:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What's funny is that I was a pretty hardcore prepper after Sandy. I mean, I was ready for stuff, but nothing like Sandy. After that, I vowed never to be in the same position, so I spent the next 6+ years accumulating dry goods and other supplies to be ready for anything. And then we moved and I said WTF was I thinking keeping all this stuff - particularly after moving it to a smaller house. I started to get rid of it and not 6 months after we moved, global pandemic and complete insanity. So yeah, I was ready to dial it back, but now I've doubled down. :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:58 pm
Time to go buy 50 gallons of water.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:41 am
Formix wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:14 amSpend zero energy on the past.
That's a hard pass from me. This needs to never happen again and those that had anything to do with how we got to this point need to be dragged into the spotlight and held to account.
Yeah. This can't be swept under any rugs.

The people who lit and held the M90 need to see what happens when they closed their fist around it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Our school had a meeting (virtual, natch) this morning about the coming year. Our district is providing the option of 100% virtual or hybrid (2 cohorts each attending 2 days/week, plus one shared virtual day). About half of families have made their selection thus far--90+% opting for the in-person hybrid option.

I know I've been on the pessimistic bandwagon for... checks notes ...awhile now, but. Wow; that's a far higher proportion of people opting for the in-person option than I would have expected.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:38 pmI know I've been on the pessimistic bandwagon for... checks notes ...awhile now, but. Wow; that's a far higher proportion of people opting for the in-person option than I would have expected.
I think parents are burned out and feeling guilty over what they've permitted their kids to do at home (TV, electronics, sleeping, etc...) during the pandemic. Sending them back into a school environment *feels* like you're giving the kids back some sense of normalcy and *feels* like you're letting them experience being a kid again. It might also be seen as a break from them. It could be out of necessity. It could be a combination of all three.

Again, I make no judgements here. I cannot imagine what things are like right now for parents that have younger children. I legitimately don't know what we'd be doing or how life would be for us right now if our daughter was 5 instead of 14, but I can imagine it would be orders of magnitude harder.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:46 pmAgain, I make no judgements here. I cannot imagine what things are like right now for parents that have younger children. I legitimately don't know what we'd be doing or how life would be for us right now if our daughter was 5 instead of 14, but I can imagine it would be orders of magnitude harder.
To be clear, I'm not judging, either. This decision is difficult for myriad reasons for everyone. The fall semester gonna be a shitshow all around.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Also, here's a really, really good summary for non or slightly-science/data inclined folks.

TL/DR?

* Kids do get sick
* Kids do transmit the virus
* School is still possible ... but only with strict precautions & if community infection rates are low
* NO MATTER WHAT, #MaskUp and insist on testing
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:08 pmTo be clear, I'm not judging, either. This decision is difficult for myriad reasons for everyone. The fall semester gonna be a shitshow all around.
Oh yeah, I didn't think you (or anyone) was. I just wanted to clarify my position in case it sounded like I was speaking from a pedestal of authority.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:46 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:38 pmI know I've been on the pessimistic bandwagon for... checks notes ...awhile now, but. Wow; that's a far higher proportion of people opting for the in-person option than I would have expected.
I think parents are burned out and feeling guilty over what they've permitted their kids to do at home (TV, electronics, sleeping, etc...) during the pandemic. Sending them back into a school environment *feels* like you're giving the kids back some sense of normalcy and *feels* like you're letting them experience being a kid again. It might also be seen as a break from them. It could be out of necessity. It could be a combination of all three.
For those of us with young kids, the intensity of this ^ is more intense than you can imagine.

It's honestly kinda breaking Mrs. Skinypupy right now. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:49 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:46 pm I think parents are burned out and feeling guilty over what they've permitted their kids to do at home (TV, electronics, sleeping, etc...) during the pandemic. Sending them back into a school environment *feels* like you're giving the kids back some sense of normalcy and *feels* like you're letting them experience being a kid again. It might also be seen as a break from them. It could be out of necessity. It could be a combination of all three.
For those of us with young kids, the intensity of this ^ is more intense than you can imagine.

It's honestly kinda breaking Mrs. Skinypupy right now. :(
Lot of that going on here, too. As well as weighing the two terrible options--go back and not actually experience normality, but at least some semblance of it along with some level of socialization, but at the risk of getting COVID-19; or elect remote and (in our case, at least) entirely remove our kids from their schoolmates and any in-person socializing for at least 4+ months. In our district, it's looking like due to the low % of families opting for e-learning, those kids will be entirely or almost entirely separate from their 'normal' classmates (since in most classes we're talking 1-2 kids opting for virtual, so the virtual classes will be kids from a bunch of schools rather than mostly their own school).

Not only is there no 'right' answer, both choices are ridiculously terrible.
Formix

Post by Formix »

Paingod wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:32 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:41 am
Formix wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:14 amSpend zero energy on the past.
That's a hard pass from me. This needs to never happen again and those that had anything to do with how we got to this point need to be dragged into the spotlight and held to account.
Yeah. This can't be swept under any rugs.

The people who lit and held the M90 need to see what happens when they closed their fist around it.
To be clear, I wasn't suggesting sweeping anything under the rug. But I ask. What were the repercussions for Cheney with the Haliburton money grab, or any of the other Bush-era cash grabs? What has been the reaction of any Trump supporter you know to the Impeachment? I feel like the problems we are facing are so vast and need so much immediate action that any energy spent litigating what happened in the past is wasted. It will change no minds, and most likely bring exactly no one to "justice". Do we need to impose legislation and legally binding definitions to ensure that "gentlemen's agreement" norms are codified in law wherever possible? Oh, Hells yes. But I have passed the point where I believe anyone will have their mind changed about what has already happened, or be dissuaded from doing whatever slimy and quasi-illegal misdeeds they might be inclined to do in the future. What if we only get 2 years of Joe and a House/Senate majority? Do we spend that time proving Trump et al committed crimes or getting legal restrictions getting placed on Executive Branch power, green legislation, economy, and healthcare reform, restoring oversight on Wall Street, big banks, Citizen's United repeal, or any of probably a dozen other things?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Formix wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:46 pm To be clear, I wasn't suggesting sweeping anything under the rug. But I ask. What were the repercussions for Cheney with the Haliburton money grab, or any of the other Bush-era cash grabs? What has been the reaction of any Trump supporter you know to the Impeachment?
I'm probably not the best person to answer this, but I put the Cheney, Bush-era Haliburton stuff on a different level than what's happening now. To be clear, it was criminal and there should have been an accounting. However, I'm at "crimes against humanity" levels with the Trump administration at this point and the idea that anyone elected to office could potentially consider this the new bar for acceptable in the future is unthinkable to me.
Formix

Post by Formix »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:03 pm
Formix wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:46 pm To be clear, I wasn't suggesting sweeping anything under the rug. But I ask. What were the repercussions for Cheney with the Haliburton money grab, or any of the other Bush-era cash grabs? What has been the reaction of any Trump supporter you know to the Impeachment?
I'm probably not the best person to answer this, but I put the Cheney, Bush-era Haliburton stuff on a different level than what's happening now. To be clear, it was criminal and there should have been an accounting. However, I'm at "crimes against humanity" levels with the Trump administration at this point and the idea that anyone elected to office could potentially consider this the new bar for acceptable in the future is unthinkable to me.
I agree completely about the "crimes against humanity" level, but I thought Bush set the bar, and after Obama, it was reset and nobody could go that low again. Then we get Trump, where there is demonstrably no bottom. Do we really think that there's nobody worse that could get elected? He still has 43-50% approval. Heck, he might just get reelected, at which point, I'm out and headed to New Zealand or wherever. Because there apparently is no American bottom. Graft, lies, and an administration full of "acting" heads, historic unemployment, historic GDP drop, 150,000 dead Americans with no end in sight, anonymous federal agents detaining Americans without probable cause, delaying the election, not going along with the election results, and he STILL has 43-50% approval? I don't know WTF happened, but the America I thought I lived in apparently never did exist.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Formix wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:44 pm Do we really think that there's nobody worse that could get elected?
Someone that isn't a moron would absolutely be worse. Speaking of which, I'm just seeing this now:

Distributing a vaccine will be complex. During the H1N1 pandemic, an unheralded success was delivery of vaccines through the robust infrastructure of the Vaccines For Children program. DOD has zero experience sending vaccines to doctors in the US.
Every day. Every day is new level of nonsense.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:18 pm
Formix wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:44 pm Do we really think that there's nobody worse that could get elected?
Someone that isn't a moron would absolutely be worse. Speaking of which, I'm just seeing this now:

Distributing a vaccine will be complex. During the H1N1 pandemic, an unheralded success was delivery of vaccines through the robust infrastructure of the Vaccines For Children program. DOD has zero experience sending vaccines to doctors in the US.
If the objective is to give everyone shots, you need the people who can shoot them.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is completely different from what they said earlier this week or to Congress *yesterday*. Not just nonsense. It is just chaos. Deadly chaos.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:38 pm When this is all over, there needs to be an accounting and people need to answer for their deeds:
Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner’s team expressed: that because the virus had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. “The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” said the expert.

That logic may have swayed Kushner. “It was very clear that Jared was ultimately the decision maker as to what [plan] was going to come out,” the expert said.
Read more, here:

BREAKING: My latest @VanityFair
story, a detailed investigation into how the White House secretly drafted, then abandoned, a plan to nationalize America's broken #COVID19 diagnostic testing system.
That seriously has to be some treason level shit.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Did anyone buy into the hype about those finger "hooks" for opening doors and punching keys at credit card terminals? They go for up to $25 each, but the Chinese made ones are as low as 5 for $10 (probably plated copper over something)

Someone claimed that copper or brass is naturally antiviral. Somehow, that sounds a bit hokey to me. I haven't Googled it yet.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
raydude

Post by raydude »

Someone that isn't a moron would absolutely be worse.
Which is why there should be an accounting held of this administration after it is gone. It is much easier to go after the morons because they lack the intelligence to cover their tracks and because the people who weren't morons can provide so much corroborating evidence. This way the future ones who aren't morons but aspire to Trumpian levels of dictatorship can at least be deterred just a little bit.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:14 am Did anyone buy into the hype about those finger "hooks" for opening doors and punching keys at credit card terminals? They go for up to $25 each, but the Chinese made ones are as low as 5 for $10 (probably plated copper over something)

Someone claimed that copper or brass is naturally antiviral. Somehow, that sounds a bit hokey to me. I haven't Googled it yet.
I didn't buy them, but my employer 3D printed a ton of them for us (and thus were made out of plastic). It's true that copper kills viruses - over time, though, not instantly.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Copper does have some antibacterial properties if I remember correctly. I wouldn’t think it helps at all with Corona, though.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:14 am Someone claimed that copper or brass is naturally antiviral. Somehow, that sounds a bit hokey to me. I haven't Googled it yet.
Like Ralph said, antibacterial.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:05 am Copper does have some antibacterial properties if I remember correctly. I wouldn’t think it helps at all with Corona, though.
But I'm sure Trump supporters eating copious amounts of pennies is behind the current change shortage.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Eating rolls of pennies would make no cents.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Copper is antimicrobial, and has been shown to kill COVID-19 in four hours vs ~48 on stainless steel. It's more effective on bacteria, but still works for viruses.

That said, four hours is still to long to be meaningful in during a shopping trip compared, to, say, dropping it in alcohol. For minute-to-minute use, anything copper is just as contaminated as anything else.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

And practically you’re going to out the copper grabber in your pocket or grab the wrong side so you’ll get exposed anyway. Maybe less but still questionable.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

(Sorry BH) - Bad news from Indiana:
One of the first school districts in the country to reopen its doors during the coronavirus pandemic did not even make it a day before being forced to grapple with the issue facing every system actively trying to get students into classrooms: What happens when someone comes to school infected?

Just hours into the first day of classes on Thursday, a call from the county health department notified Greenfield Central Junior High School in Indiana that a student who had walked the halls and sat in various classrooms had tested positive for the coronavirus.

“There’s no good answer,” Mark Henry, superintendent of the Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District near Houston, told trustees at a recent special meeting in which they voted to postpone the district’s hybrid reopening until September. “If there was a good answer, if there were an easy answer,” he said, “we would lay it out for you and everybody would be happy.”

Anywhere that schools do reopen — outside of a portion of the Northeast where the virus is largely under control — is likely to see positive test results quickly, as in Indiana.
In closing:
“I most definitely felt like we were not ready,” said Russell Wiley, a history teacher at nearby Greenfield-Central High School. “Really, our whole state’s not ready. We don’t have the virus under control. It’s just kind of like pretending like it’s not there.”

One father whose daughter goes to the middle school with the positive case said he felt conflicted about his three children attending classes in person. Few people in the community are wearing masks, said the father, who asked not to be named because he worried that his family would face backlash.

“I have all these concerns,” the father said. But he has to commute at least an hour to work every day, so remote learning was not a good option for his family.

“It’s just a mess,” he said. “I don’t know what the answers are.”
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:21 am Eating rolls of pennies would make no cents.
:clap:

RE: trumpaloos still being fully onboard with all of the trumpian idiocy, I will say I am starting to see some cracks. At least anecdotally in my own spheres. I live in Texas and work in pre-hospital healthcare which, traditionally, has been a very(VERY) red demographic. But with the administration's repeated assaults on science even some of my colleagues that have positions requiring only a year or less of higher education are starting to peel away. And had a roundtable with some in-laws last night where they confessed trump was an idiot. Still playing the 'I thought he was the lesser it two evils' card but my BIL even recanted on that. The FIL wasn't willing to go that far yet (and I still have one BIL that is and always will be full MAGA). But it's progress....at a cost of 150,000+ lives and a destroyed economy but hey, who knew trump was an idiot, amirite?
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

GungHo wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:56 pmwho knew trump was an idiot, amirite?
Some people were saying. Some beautiful people.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am Copper is antimicrobial, and has been shown to kill COVID-19 in four hours vs ~48 on stainless steel. It's more effective on bacteria, but still works for viruses.

That said, four hours is still to long to be meaningful in during a shopping trip compared, to, say, dropping it in alcohol. For minute-to-minute use, anything copper is just as contaminated as anything else.
The latest info says transmission via surfaces (called fomites, to sound sciency) is negligible. In fact, there's no known cases that were definitely caused that way. Doesn't mean the risk is zero, but pretty close. I still use hand sanitizer whenever I leave a high-traffic environment like a store, mainly because Wife bought gallons of the stuff.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Correct - this goes back to the "hygiene theater" I mentioned earlier this week, coming from the article in The Atlantic. This isn't to suggest hand washing isn't important, but in terms of a point of focus (or if an organization is bragging about "deep cleaning" or using special EPA cleaners for hand rails and door knobs), that's a distraction. People saying restaurants and bars and schools should be open because of "enhanced cleaning" are either misrepresenting risk or not clear on how this virus is primarily spread.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Also: "the latest info" is always under revision. Given the stakes, a little extra caution is prudent...just don't obsess about it.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Yeah, I would not be surprised to see incidents of skin cancer going up due to abuse of UV lights as "sanitizers". So in a way, COVID causes cancer! :D

But really, people are just inventing gadgets that are of dubious utility to sell during COVID times. There's this... Phone sanitizer, I think it's called "phoneSoap" or something stupid like that... wireless charger with UV light to also sanitizes your phone. Or this water bottle with a UV tube in the bottle cap to sanitize your water. What a joke. Next you'll see UV light built into everything like vacuums. :-P
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds