[Uncertainty] NFL 2020 Off Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: [Uncertainty] NFL 2020 Off Season

Post by Jeff V »

gameoverman wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:13 pm How do you figure out, fairly, a draft order from that?
I'd suggest basing it off a 5-year average. This would give the chronically shitty teams their accustom high position, which they will undoubtedly trade for a handful of magic beans and in the end NE winds up with 9 of the first 10 picks anyway.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:09 am
gameoverman wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:13 pm How do you figure out, fairly, a draft order from that?
I'd suggest basing it off a 5-year average. This would give the chronically shitty teams their accustom high position, which they will undoubtedly trade for a handful of magic beans and in the end NE winds up with 9 of the first 10 picks anyway.
Something like that with some sort of a cap on the frequency a team could draft in the first three spots would be my choice. Say a team can only hold the #1 pick once every five years, the #2 pick once every three years, and the #3 spot once every other year. Football has such parity that a prolonged tank job (like in any of the other team sports) is inherently unlikely, but it couldn't hurt to have some protections in place.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Adam Silver announced that zero NBA players in the bubble have tested positive since the last updates on July 20. The NBA is showing the other sports leagues what they need to do if they really plan on playing right now, but I don't expect any of the other leagues to follow suit, unfortunately.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isn't the NHL following a pretty similar model, just with two bubbles (both in Canada)?

I think it'd be much harder to take that approach with baseball or football logistically. Teams are much bigger and just the real estate needed to play the games is much larger. Even the games being about 50% longer makes scheduling more of a challenge if they're trying to reuse facilities.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:01 pm Adam Silver announced that zero NBA players in the bubble have tested positive since the last updates on July 20. The NBA is showing the other sports leagues what they need to do if they really plan on playing right now, but I don't expect any of the other leagues to follow suit, unfortunately.
A single NFL team has 3x the players of an NBA team. So each NBA team got to bring 37 people. An NFL team might need what, 100? That's a huge bubble.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:16 pm Isn't the NHL following a pretty similar model, just with two bubbles (both in Canada)?
Yep. Same zero positive tests as well.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:01 pm Adam Silver announced that zero NBA players in the bubble have tested positive since the last updates on July 20. The NBA is showing the other sports leagues what they need to do if they really plan on playing right now, but I don't expect any of the other leagues to follow suit, unfortunately.
How can sports like MLB and the NFL lock their players up in one city to play their games? There is no locale where enough venues exist for that. There are no venues with hotel availability to venues for that many teams next to venues. The NBA is dealing with much smaller teams and fewer teams who can realistically play games on the same court one after the other. That won't work with MLB or NFL.

NBA players are literally locked up in "hotel jails". They are limited in movement. Several guys have been sent home or quarantined because they "left" the bubble for whatever reason.

I do think MLB and the NFL will have huge problems. But with the MLB once playoffs start (if they get that far) they can do some of the lock down stuff. I have no idea how the NFL will handle this as so far they haven't announced any plans.

I do think the NHL is going to follow the NBA's lead, but also with limited teams.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:45 pm
How can sports like MLB and the NFL lock their players up in one city to play their games? There is no locale where enough venues exist for that. There are no venues with hotel availability to venues for that many teams next to venues. The NBA is dealing with much smaller teams and fewer teams who can realistically play games on the same court one after the other. That won't work with MLB or NFL.

NBA players are literally locked up in "hotel jails". They are limited in movement. Several guys have been sent home or quarantined because they "left" the bubble for whatever reason.

I do think MLB and the NFL will have huge problems. But with the MLB once playoffs start (if they get that far) they can do some of the lock down stuff. I have no idea how the NFL will handle this as so far they haven't announced any plans.

I do think the NHL is going to follow the NBA's lead, but also with limited teams.
Texas might be able to do it. They have the hotels and the fields if you play the games Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon as has been floated. Even then, it's an awful lot of space and it would have had to have been setup weeks ago.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Baseball could in theory do a dual Arizona/Florida bubble, as they have lots of facilities there for spring training. Still, there's a reason the D-Backs, Rays, and Marlins all play in domes . . . .
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hey, Texas and Houston have them, too.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:50 pm Hey, Texas and Houston have them, too.
Right, but the whole point is that one or two domes is not enough. They can play spring training in Florida and Arizona because it isn't unbearable there yet. Once the regular season starts, the heat and (for Florida) rain become serious impediments. Having a couple of domes doesn't help things. (Plus, Texas doesn't have all the centrally located spring training facilities that AZ and FL have.)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:48 pm
Baseball could in theory do a dual Arizona/Florida bubble, as they have lots of facilities there for spring training. Still, there's a reason the D-Backs, Rays, and Marlins all play in domes . . . .
MLB floated a AZ/TX/FL bubble system for the season. The MLBPA balked hard at that.
Hodor.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

But, at least as I understand it, MLB doesn't even have a bubble for each team. That is, players are allowed to go out and about in their community as much as they want. I agree that it's unreasonable for all the teams to be locked together in one area, but it seems like a team-based approach might be a decent compromise.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It might be worth a try, but it'd be much harder to enforce, I think. You've got 30 separate teams playing in mostly separate cities for over two months with expanded rosters before you even get to the (expanded) playoffs. The NBA has 22 teams with typical (I think) NBA rosters in a central location. As I understand it, they'll play for about two weeks for seeding and then go into the playoffs where teams will obviously start dropping out. It's just a much more manageable situation for the NBA.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:56 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:50 pm Hey, Texas and Houston have them, too.
Right, but the whole point is that one or two domes is not enough. They can play spring training in Florida and Arizona because it isn't unbearable there yet. Once the regular season starts, the heat and (for Florida) rain become serious impediments. Having a couple of domes doesn't help things. (Plus, Texas doesn't have all the centrally located spring training facilities that AZ and FL have.)
Spring training fields might be fine for spring training but they lack what is needed to televise games, the look of major league baseball. And they need that, the TV money is what they are after. Also there is a certain amount of travel required as all the Florida and Arizona locations are not right next to each other.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:35 pm But, at least as I understand it, MLB doesn't even have a bubble for each team. That is, players are allowed to go out and about in their community as much as they want. I agree that it's unreasonable for all the teams to be locked together in one area, but it seems like a team-based approach might be a decent compromise.
The NFL announced "off field" rules for players today and some are complaining about how obtrusive they are. Imagine, no strip clubs. :lol:
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Scuzz wrote:Spring training fields might be fine for spring training but they lack what is needed to televise games, the look of major league baseball. And they need that, the TV money is what they are after.
I don’t think that’s completely true. Since they televise spring training games and all.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

msteelers wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:50 pm
Scuzz wrote:Spring training fields might be fine for spring training but they lack what is needed to televise games, the look of major league baseball. And they need that, the TV money is what they are after.
I don’t think that’s completely true. Since they televise spring training games and all.
But they look like spring training games. Tiny places with grass outfield grandstands.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero · 9m
Free-agent receiver Antonio Brown is being suspended eight games, source said.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:04 pm
msteelers wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:50 pm
But they look like spring training games. Tiny places with grass outfield grandstands.
I don't think they'd care about that as long as the field dimensions are appropriate and the fields are in good condition. They're already playing without fans and with lots of extra advertising in the outfield and such, and that would be easy enough to do at spring training fields. The bigger concern (and the reason it wasn't going to happen) is the weather.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:35 pm
In mid-season form, I see.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:48 pm
This is for the actions around his time on the Patriots. It's pretty crummy it's taken this long to announce discipline.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stessier wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:57 pm
This is for the actions around his time on the Patriots. It's pretty crummy it's taken this long to announce discipline.
We could use some speedy, decisive action, like Deflategate.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:58 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:57 pm
We could use some speedy, decisive action, like Deflategate.
The NFL and their indecision was the only one holding up the Brown case.

The Deflategate railroading took time because of the court case. The NFL's initial data manufacturing, self serving media leaks, and character slander was done in 2 months.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Doug Pederson is COVID-19 positive (though asymptomatic). Sucks, but Duce Staley is taking the helm for the Eagles for now. Always loved The Duce!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

For an NFL bubble,

some questions and thoughts spring to mind

how long does it take for locker room before and after. That something I honestly don't know. I am assuming that the bubble would include some sort of cleaning, but would it be a locker room deep clean between games?
So that leaves what? 2 or maybe 3 games per field, per day.

Make the assumption that college sports are cancelled, so choose bubble cities with multiple college venues in addition to the standard pro venue.

Multiple bubble cities, team changing location a few times during the season, but not every week, this of course means juggling the schedule.

update the schedule to include Saturday and Sunday games, so the fields get used twice as often.

but this means its not a resort location like NBA, its not an all inclusive single spot. And what are the teams going to do the rest of the week? normally they would be home at their private field. can't keep players locked in hotel rooms for an entire week, every week, for a whole season. And I can't think of any place that has enough space to allow team room to train during the week, except for sending them home.
And if they are going to travel home every week, there is no point in a bubble.

So I think, a bubble is just an unrealistic option for NFL. Its all down to individual discipline. And while most players are clearly focused disciplined and team oriented professionals, one bad apple will literally infect the entire team.

I am concerned.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Imlawboy's favorite quarterback is coming back just for him

Bears expected to name Trubisky as starting QB
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lorini wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:21 pm Imlawboy's favorite quarterback is coming back just for him

Bears expected to name Trubisky as starting QB
Apparently the Bears have to give the 49'ers another draft pick if he starts.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:47 pm Apparently the Bears have to give the 49'ers another draft pick if he starts.
Ha ha ha....what's a draft pick? :?
Black Lives Matter