Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

DOS=HIGH

MS Flight Simulator 2020

Post by DOS=HIGH »

:pop:

Isgrimnur

Re: MS Flight Simulator 2020

Post by Isgrimnur »

Looks incredible, but seeing as there are no guns, and I really don't want to play with a console controller, I doubt I'll ever play it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i do believe i am in (but i should also see where X-Plane is currently at)

i still have the MS FlightStick and i now have a TrackIR and SteamVR setup.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The last MS Flight Simulator I played had trapezoidal mountains and 256-color graphics. It also had a hidden mini-game that let you fly WW1 bombing missions. On the main simulator, I eventually got to where I could take off and land most of the available aircraft without crashing. But I played the heck out of the mini-game.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:09 pm :pop:

User name checks out. I'll keep an eye on this.
Conform or be cast out!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've played flight simulators ever since there were flight simulators, but a number of years ago I rather burned out on them. This was about the time that MS stopped putting out sims every other year or so. After a few years they started a new series with flying only around Hawaii; I think it released only through Games For Windows; it was called Microsoft Flight. I just couldn't get excited about that. When FSX came to Steam I gave it a try and tooled around for awhile but lost interest again.

I did spend a good deal of time with the X-Plane series, buying several versions and got really into designing planes. However, ultimately I found that I'd design a plane, do a lot of debug and tweaking, then after I got it all good to go I'd get bored with it and started designing another. Finally just designing planes got old.

I think it was GPS that ultimately ruined flight sims for me. I found the enjoyment of sim flying to be the navigating using VOR and NDB instrumentation while using a static map. Planes with avionics that used GPS made the whole experience too easy.

And the announcement of MSFS2020 leaves me to wonder, how long will Microsoft support it?

Damn, now I have to got reinstall a flight sim again :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Very pretty, but I need guns too. Maybe, just maybe I could do this though https://store.steampowered.com/app/7718 ... Simulator/
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Huh, they didn't even try to suggest there would be helicopters. Microsoft Flight Simulator X had helicopters. That would have been the one major thing that would get me to buy in.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

em2nought wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:55 am Very pretty, but I need guns too. Maybe, just maybe I could do this though https://store.steampowered.com/app/7718 ... Simulator/
Oh, that looks cool. Thanks for posting the link :wub:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:09 pm :pop:

Cool!
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Latest YouTube update covers some multi-player options, including current real world weather and air traffic. You will be able to see up to 50 planes flying in their current place in the world around you :shock: . This game is looking more and more impressive. Still no release date or recommended system specs as the game is still in Alpha.

[
malchior

Post by malchior »

I've been loosely following it but this multiplayer update really jumped out. It looks very polished and far along for an 'alpha' game.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

malchior wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:45 am I've been loosely following it but this multiplayer update really jumped out. It looks very polished and far along for an 'alpha' game.
It's just freaky seeing so many non-warbirds flying in formation (especially those A320s in this video). :shock:
Conform or be cast out!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tiers for planes, I can understand. Tiering for airports is bullshit.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:51 pm Tiers for planes, I can understand. Tiering for airports is bullshit.
100% agreed. Maybe it will be moddable.

I'm very interested in this because I have a Radeon card and X-Plane is therefore bullshit on my system. :roll: But what's the catch with a Microsoft game? I mean, I assume it won't be on Steam for example?
I no longer post here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:51 pm Tiers for planes, I can understand. Tiering for airports is bullshit.
Especially when top tier is double the cost. Luckily after some digging it looks like its just visual upgrades to them. I guess we'll see if they are worth the cost when we get eyes on it.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Paradroid wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:18 pm
100% agreed. Maybe it will be moddable.

I'm very interested in this because I have a Radeon card and X-Plane is therefore bullshit on my system. :roll: But what's the catch with a Microsoft game? I mean, I assume it won't be on Steam for example?
good ol... Windows Store. lol
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

malchior wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:24 pm
Especially when top tier is double the cost. Luckily after some digging it looks like its just visual upgrades to them. I guess we'll see if they are worth the cost when we get eyes on it.
There are 37000 airports included. I don't think I'd miss visual upgrades for 5 or 10 of them.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yup

infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I love that this is going to be included with the Xbox Game Pass on PC. Microsoft Flight Simulator will always hold a special place in my heart as my father was a pilot and he used to take me to his office in the mid-80's to play it on the HP Vectra they had there. I can still hear him telling me "small corrections!" as I would be invariably hard banking left and right trying to line up a landing before driving the nose into the ground short of the runway. :lol:
-something witty-
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I played a lot of MS Flight Sims back in the nineties and early this century, but I think I burned out on them. I think GPS kinds of ruins the fun of navigating by VOR and DME. As I learned back when I was an active pilot, a lot of flying is boring. It's the landings, the bad weather and the emergencies that make it interesting :roll:
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Paradroid wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:18 pm I'm very interested in this because I have a Radeon card and X-Plane is therefore bullshit on my system.
I spoke too soon! Apparently the devs have finally implemented Vulkan and it now runs quite nicely on my PC! I still get a popup saying I haven't maintained "minimum" FPS, but whatever it is, it's a hell of a lot smoother than the last time I tried it.

Now to go shopping for a proper flight stick! :D
I no longer post here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just in case you still dial up with a modem, Microsoft Flight Simulator is getting a 10 disc physical version
The first Microsoft Flight Simulator came on a single 360kb 5.25 inch floppy disc. Back then you had to run the program directly from the disc, as it wasn't designed to be installed on a rare-at-the-time hard drive.

That was back in 1982: fast forward 38 years, and the forthcoming 2020 version of Microsoft Flight Simulator comes on a whopping ten DVDs, amounting to 85GB, meaning the original Flight Sim could fit on those discs at least 236,000 times. Maths!

Aerosoft is the official retail partner for Microsoft Flight Simulator, and if you're averse to giant downloads or just like physical game boxes, the package looks pretty sweet. In addition to the ten discs there's a printed manual, which is a pleasant novelty indeed in 2020.

Still, that 85GB is far less than the 150GB required according to Microsoft. Notwithstanding compression, Aerosoft gave a bit of a rundown of what exactly comes on the discs. There's the simulator code (which is apparently quite small), as well as "the world and aircraft delivered by Microsoft" which will come in at around 90GB. The discs also host a variety of optional content including third party files and "optional online streamed content." Overall, you won't be losing anything with the physical version: once the bulk of the game is installed from the discs, any updates will roll in from Microsoft's servers.

It probably goes without saying, but buying the physical version won't allow you to play the game with no internet connection: Microsoft Flight Simulator is heavily reliant on the cloud. "This is very much a simulator that depends on the cloud if you want to use it to its full potential," an Aerosoft spokesperson wrote. "So the boxed version makes it possible for people on a slower internet connection to get the sim installed without downloading the 'content'."

The Microsoft Flight Simulator release date is surprisingly close: after a closed beta kicking off July 30, it'll be available for everyone on August 18.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

ahem. +printed manual+
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:54 am ahem. +printed manual+
Good call. Not to mention how good the package will look on the shelf.

With regard to X-Plane 11, I turned on the fps display in the demo after switching to Vulkan and apparently I get 40-50 fps with most graphics options set fairly high. It seemed very smooth. Definitely good enough for me, so my next big purchase will be a stick and throttle. I'm definitely going to get MSFS2020.
I no longer post here.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:54 am ahem. +printed manual+
I wonder if you could just order that separately.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Coming to STEAM on August 18th:
Listening to the community has been a priority for the development team since the announcement of Microsoft Flight Simulator in June 2019. Two of the most requested features we’ve been hearing about from the Community are TrackIR and VR support. Today we are excited to announce that Microsoft Flight Simulator will have TrackIR support available on day one, and VR support will be available later this year in time for the launch of the HP Reverb G2!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Excellent news! That was the only cause for hesitation that I had.
I no longer post here.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Nice no track IR support would have sucked. I really need to get VR headset someday, but track IR works really well in flight sims.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've still got one of the earlier TrackIR sets lying around, along with my CH rudder pedals, throttle, and stick. I bought them all years and years ago to really immerse myself in flight sims, but barely ended up using any of them. I really should get rid of them.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:05 am I've still got one of the earlier TrackIR sets lying around, along with my CH rudder pedals, throttle, and stick. I bought them all years and years ago to really immerse myself in flight sims, but barely ended up using any of them. I really should get rid of them.
now might be a good time to sell, what with people getting back into MSFS. some of those people might even reside on this here forum
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

True, but the process of getting them hooked up, tested, finding boxes, and getting all three packed and shipped has held me back from selling them, although I did offer them here some time ago.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From PCGamesN, Microsoft Flight Simulator becomes top-selling game on Steam in less than a day
After it was confirmed Microsoft Flight Simulator would be coming to Steam, the simulation game has jumped straight to the of the Steam top sellers list.

Developer Asobo Studios announced the achievement on Twitter, with a screenshot that had Flight Simulator in the number one stop, ahead of shrunken action-adventure game Grounded. The two are in active contention for chart dominance, both currently hosting betas, as party battle royale game Fall Guys brings up the rear in third, itself holding another short beta following a huge showing last weekend.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

... maybe i should have aimed a little higher with the new PC build
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sheesh, VRAM of 8 GB? 32 GB of RAM? I'm out :roll:
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:30 pm Sheesh, VRAM of 8 GB? 32 GB of RAM? I'm out :roll:
note those are the 'eyeball-melting pro flight simulator on your home computer 2020' graphic levels.

for most people:

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ideal

Don’t hold it against them that they use the hardware
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

That's quite a spread on requirements. Anyway, I think I rather burned out on flight sims a couple of decades ago. I'll wait for some more impressions other than "it looks really pretty" :D
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Was watching videos of people playing this and it's mind blowing to me. Can't wait to try this out in a few weeks.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com