Racism in America (with data)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: Racism in America (with data)

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:28 pm

I seeing reports from Cleveland, at least, that things have been quiet and protest actions have been peaceful.

Is Barr just trying to occupy Dem strongholds in swing states?
I can't speak for Cleveland and Milwaukee, but Detroit is code word for controlling black crime to the surrounding whiter suburbs and far away rural areas that associate Detroit with being both black and criminal. Otherwise you might say Wayne County or SE Michigan.

At the same time violent crime is up everywhere in Michigan, which includes Detroit. People have lost their damned minds. The amount of murder for being asked to wear a damned mask? Detroit is tying their uptick to early releases but I'm guessing desperation and fear is in the air everywhere.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/ ... 473795002/
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Holman wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:28 pmIs Barr just trying to occupy terrorist strongholds in enemy states?
FTFY.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Donald Trump, because he has no understanding of larger-than-personal contexts and because he is a racist asshole, skipped John Lewis' funeral today. Numerous other eminent Americans paid their respects in beautiful ways.

Best of all was President Obama's eulogy, which was an utterly heartbreaking reminder of what it can mean when the nation's leader is intelligent, eloquent, and capable of thoughts larger than himself.

Trump, meanwhile, called a spontaneous and pointless press gaggle at the moment Obama was speaking, obviously hoping to pull the cameras away from a much better person. The networks ignored him.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

In response to this eulogy, Tucker Carlson called President Obama "greasy" and "sleazy" on his show tonight.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Holman wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:57 pmIn response to this eulogy, Tucker Carlson called President Obama "greasy" and "sleazy" on his show tonight.
From his perspective, a decent human being is an unknown to be feared. He can't understand what might motivate them.
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Guardian
The withdrawal of federal agents from frontline policing of demonstrations in downtown Portland significantly reduced tensions in the city overnight.

Protesters in support of Black Lives Matter once again rallied near the federal courthouse that became a flashpoint, and the scene of nightly battles amid the swirl of teargas, after Donald Trump dispatched agents to end what he called anarchy in the city after weeks of demonstrations.

But in the absence of the federal officers, Thursday night’s protest passed off without major incident or intervention by the police.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ammon Bundy expresses his support for BLM and the “defund the police” movement.

That’s...not what I expected, although I suppose it does fit in his general anti-government stance.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:20 pm Ammon Bundy expresses his support for BLM and the “defund the police” movement.

That’s...not what I expected, although I suppose it does fit in his general anti-government stance.
He didn't attend a BLM rally because dipshit was scared??! Somehow I don't buy it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

raydude wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:39 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:20 pm Ammon Bundy expresses his support for BLM and the “defund the police” movement.

He didn't attend a BLM rally because dipshit was scared??! Somehow I don't buy it.

I do.

I am surprised and impressed. I still don't agree with the Bundy occupation only slightly less than I do declaring police free zones.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today
WNBA players have escalated their opposition to Atlanta Dream co-owner, Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-Ga.), by wearing shirts supporting one of her opponents in the upcoming election.

Players on the Chicago Sky, Phoenix Mercury and the Dream sported "Vote Warnock" T-shirts ahead of Tuesday night's games in the bubble at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. Rev. Raphael Warnock is one of the Democrats challenging Loeffler for the Georgia Senate seat.

Last month, Loeffler sent a letter to WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert objecting to the league's planned anti-racism messages supporting "Black Lives Matter" and "Say Her Name" (a reference to the recent killing of Breonna Taylor in Louisville), and instead urged the league to put American flags on players' jerseys.
Loeffler doubled down on her stance a few days later during an interview with Laura Ingraham, telling the Fox News host that Black Lives Matter "is based on Marxist principles" that threaten to "destroy" America.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:11 pm I'm sure he's tired out from all the golfing he did in NJ this weekend.

Incidentally, this weekend was the second time I've heard fighter jets scrambling over my home because of Trump being 35+ miles away golfing.
It's my weekend with the fighter jets. They've been orbiting for at least 45 minutes around New Brunswick.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So, this happened just up the street from me yesterday.

Something tells me they're about to have a 10X increase in BLM signs this week. I'll have to cruise around and count them later. :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

A bunch of right-wing militia and racist groups planned a "Defend Stone Mountain" rally today. The left-wing counter-protest is apparently much larger.

The situation is dicey because armed left-wingers have shown up to confront the right.

Lefties are snatching confederate flags and burning them.

Thread:

Topic list:

https://twitter.com/i/lists/1294632704911310848
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The amount of guns openly displayed by both sides is frightening. It's amazing no shots were fired, including by the police.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Damn, the video from that is terrifying. It's a ticking time bomb - sooner or later, one of these events will turn into a full-on shootout.

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Salon
Stuart D. Baker has been fired from the Adult Swim animated series "Squidbillies" after posting comments about Dolly Parton and the Black Lives Matter movement on social media.

Baker, who performs under the name Unknown Hinson, posted on his Facebook profile late last week about Dolly Parton voicing her support for the Black Lives Matter movement. In doing so, he referred to Parton as a "freak titted, old Southern bimbo" and a "slut." In another post, he wrote "HAVE FUN [sic] forsaking your own race, culture, and heritage."

Series creators Jim Fortier and Dave Willis announced Monday via the show's official Twitter handle that Baker was no longer a part of the show.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

What an asshole.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Just found another speaker for the GOP convention.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

They clearly didn’t take a good man down. An asshole lost his job because he’s an asshole.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
malchior

Post by malchior »

That tweet is so full of self-parody that I'm half convinced this is some Andy Kaufman-esque stunt gone horribly wrong.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So sad that he won't be able to play his music anymore.

Oh, wait...

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Our city council voted on the installation of a Black Lives Matter art project for the city the other night. It passed 5-2, but one of the dissenting voters had this to say:
Council member Charlie Rivenbark reiterated his opinion that endorsing the phrase “Black Lives Matter” is divisive and racist, and referenced murders of Black citizens.

“To think that Black lives don’t matter is folly. I mean, it’s ludicrous. And it makes me think that they don’t think that much of themselves, if they’ve got to have a sign out there that says Black Lives Matter, I can’t get my head wrapped around it,” Rivenbark said during the discussion.

:grund:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

JD News
Councilman Charlie Rivenbark, who attracted national attention for calling Black Lives Matter “racist” at an agenda briefing and was caught on camera scolding BLM protesters, vehemently opposed the installation.
“I’ve been sitting in a chair just like this on council for 19 years,” he continued. “I’m telling you you’re just going to have to trust me on this one. This is going to be something that drives a stake right between the races in this town.”

“You can’t say Black Lives Matter and not think of some level of civil disobedience,” he added. “When in the last two or three years in this city, we’ve had one white man die at the hands of the police department, he was suicidal. He barricaded, he came out ready to shoot. In that same period of time we’ve had 17 Black lives taken by violent criminals, and that’s reason enough to protest and raise hell — and I don’t see that.”
He's more upset by vulgar language on a protest sign than systemic discrimination.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote:So sad that he won't be able to play his music anymore.

Oh, wait...

I guess it's time for him to get on that socialized medicine bandwagon and apply for disability.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He hits retirement age in November.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The thing is, Baker voiced Early Cuyler on Squidbillies. Did he . . . did he think that Early was a good guy?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Looks like there is unrest in Kenosha, WI tonight after a shooting. Ugly stuff. Like I said in the police reform thread we will see what of the usual explanations the system will roll out to protect the shooting officer -- though to be fair we have no idea what he saw in that moment.

Edit: Oh jeez I just saw a police officer hit in the head with a brick. He went down hard. This could get real bad. These people are *LIVID* with the police.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Kenosha has blocked roads with municipal vehicles. Some have apparently been torched. Some seen in the videos below.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

malchior wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:09 pmLooks like there is unrest in Kenosha, WI tonight after a shooting. Ugly stuff. Like I said in the police reform thread we will see what of the usual explanations the system will roll out to protect the shooting officer -- though to be fair we have no idea what he saw in that moment.
I don't know what the cop saw. What I saw was a man who clearly gave zero shits as he got up, strolled past cops with guns trained on him, calmly opened his car door, and leaned inside to get something. This was not a fearful person nor one that was intimidated. He looked like a person with a singular mission. It looked like suicide by police.
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, Kenosha? I would never have expected that.

Have the police released any more info on the shooting? Because that did not look like a reason to shoot the guy, from what was shown in that video.
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:01 am Wow, Kenosha? I would never have expected that.

Have the police released any more info on the shooting? Because that did not look like a reason to shoot the guy, from what was shown in that video.
Apparently the victim was trying to break up a fight between two women. He had also already been hit with a Taser by police before what's shown on the video.

The victim is currently alive and in the hospital.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Peter Navarro was just on CNBC. After evading questions about his deep state conspiracy comments, they asked about rumors that Mark Zuckerberg was advising the White House on Tic Toc. He said there was "zero" truth to the rumors and of course punctuated this with a WP sign and said, "see that? Zero" while pointing to it. CNBC cut to a still of the WSJ headline but the end of his gesture was still shown.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Paingod wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:19 am
malchior wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:09 pmLooks like there is unrest in Kenosha, WI tonight after a shooting. Ugly stuff. Like I said in the police reform thread we will see what of the usual explanations the system will roll out to protect the shooting officer -- though to be fair we have no idea what he saw in that moment.
I don't know what the cop saw. What I saw was a man who clearly gave zero shits as he got up, strolled past cops with guns trained on him, calmly opened his car door, and leaned inside to get something. This was not a fearful person nor one that was intimidated. He looked like a person with a singular mission. It looked like suicide by police.
FWIW - his kids were in the car. It is possible he reacted irrationally to the police pulling their guns on him. It still doesn't change the fact that our police kill a lot of unarmed black people. And the reaction to that is why we see civil unrest. I watched the live stream. They were throwing rocks at the police. One officer got out of his car after one of the rocks hit his truck and pointed his rifle at the crowd. I was grateful he didn't fire. In any case, this will not get better until we fix the police. I'm honestly surprised people haven't opened fire on the police yet.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:07 am
FWIW - his kids were in the car. It is possible he reacted irrationally to the police pulling their guns on him. It still doesn't change the fact that our police kill a lot of unarmed black people. And the reaction to that is why we see civil unrest. I watched the live stream. They were throwing rocks at the police. One officer got out of his car after one of the rocks hit his truck and pointed his rifle at the crowd. I was grateful he didn't fire. In any case, this will not get better until we fix the police. I'm honestly surprised people haven't opened fire on the police yet.
They have here.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:14 am
malchior wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:07 am
They have here.
I'm sure there are isolated incidents. I more meant like it's time to end this bullshit level violence. That crowd last night was close to the edge. I saw a cop knocked clean out with a brick and people were cheering it. There is a broken relationship here. And one side keeps killing their neighbors. If this continues, it will continue to escalate.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:56 am Peter Navarro was just on CNBC. After evading questions about his deep state conspiracy comments, they asked about rumors that Mark Zuckerberg was advising the White House on Tic Toc. He said there was "zero" truth to the rumors and of course punctuated this with a WP sign and said, "see that? Zero" while pointing to it. CNBC cut to a still of the WSJ headline but the end of his gesture was still shown.
CNBC

Video is halfway down the page.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Just saying zero (instead of 'none' or 'no') seems a little weird in the context of what he was trying to eventually say.
and needing to physically show the number zero like that is also weird... IMO.

However, it was really very brief and I am amazed anyone even 'caught it'. Of course, he didn't know the WSJ image was on air - not him - so maybe he held it up for a while?

Not sure if it was WP or not.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Honestly, I think he's simply trolling. As I suspect many in the higher up jobs who do this are. Less racist and more asshat.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:11 am Honestly, I think he's simply trolling. As I suspect many in the higher up jobs who do this are. Less racist and more asshat.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

True...true.
Covfefe!