OO Miniature Painters Guild Zoom Hangout?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Hey gang,

A couple of weeks ago the guys at Firelock games (makers of an awesome pirate minis game, Blood and Plunder) did a Google Hangout hangout with people just all connected up online painting whatever project they are working on now. And I was thinking, this could be fun to do here on OO.

So how about it? I have a Zoom pro account that I could set up a meeting, and get it into the hands of the interested parties. I know time zones could be tricky, and you wouldn't even really need to be working on painting or whatever. Hell, just stop by to say hi and see how other folks are doing.

If enough interest, I could get one set up for tomorrow night. Thoughts?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Malificent

Re: OO Miniature Painters Guild Zoom Hangout?

Post by Malificent »

Sure! Sounds like a fun idea.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I also find if I schedule something like this, it guarantees I'll get some work done on something.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I would enjoy this.

I’ve been watching youTube miniature unboxings at Gallant Goblin rather than painting. Time to get back to work, and I have a big fat Hydra to paint.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It might be interesting, although the scheduling might be fickle for me.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

It’ll be a casual drop in and out sort of deal. Start at around 7 central and go to Midnight.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I would definitely be up for this.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'd be down for this!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I’ll set up a meeting. I’d rather not just post it in the open on the forum, so if you want in send me a PM! I think I want to start it at 8 PM Central, just so I have time to deal with any other monkey wrenches my family throws my way.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I probably won't be able to join, as my painting desk is in the bedroom, and Michelle goes to bed fairly early (she's up around 6.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I am interested if we do this again in the future, though.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:31 pm I am interested if we do this again in the future, though.
We'll see how it goes tonight, if folks like it, I don't see why we can't do it semi-regularly.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud, per our conversation tonight, here are the brushes I am using.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Great to see folks tonight!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, it was a lot of fun hanging out and sharing what we're working on. Thanks for coming out, let's try and do it again in two weeks.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Thanks, I'll check out those brushes soon. Thanks to everyone for the opportunity to talk and share.

I'm in for next time.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, how was it done? I've never seen a group Zoom call. Does it checkerboard the participants? Was everyone just focusing the cameras on their work?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:42 am So, how was it done? I've never seen a group Zoom call. Does it checkerboard the participants? Was everyone just focusing the cameras on their work?
Think the Brady bunch, where we're all in our own little square.

Nobody had a camera on their work, just on our heads. I was thinking about trying to add my phone to the mix with a boom arm I have pointed at the table, but I was lazy. If I join the phone to the zoom meeting then it would show up as another square. Most of us had our cameras to the side, pointed at the side of our head.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah. I experimented a bit earlier with hanging my webcam from the arm of my painting lamp, pointing straight down. It gave pretty good results. Not YouTube painting channel quality, but it was showing the action.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I kind of think of it as a nerd version of a quilting bee. We just sit around, get caught up, and gossip.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Sorry I couldn't make it, my daughter's birthday celebration ran late and she wound up still being wide open by midnight.

I'll try to get some of my projects out and be ready for the next one!
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Yeah, this was fun. Thanks for being so welcoming - I know I'm not a big poster normally, mostly a lurker until recently.

This was what I got painted during the hangout:

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My work from last night.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I don’t do any painting, but may join a future session just to watch y’all work. I’m kinda fascinated by the process.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Sure! Anybody is free to join us if you just want to meet some faces behind the nom de forum.