MLB 2021: Offseason chat

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lorini

Re: MLB 2020: We never imagined a season like this!!!

Post by Lorini »

Well I'm sure Sox fans will be happy to know that Betts has been restored to the top of the lineup after Roberts took flack for putting him second. Pretty amusing, I think Roberts is a little nervous about the slow start of the team.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Betts was certainly happy to be batting first again! Three home runs! What was nice was that in the after game interview he was clear that he did feel pressure regarding the huge contract he signed. Glad to see he's honest.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Welp, this is a lot of double headers.

Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yahoo
The Cincinnati Reds became the third Major League Baseball team to have games called off because one of its players tested positive for COVID-19.

The last two games of a series between the Reds and Pittsburgh Pirates at Great American Ball Park were postponed Saturday after one Cincinnati player tested positive.
It was more unplanned time off for the Pirates, who opened the week with a three-game series against the Cardinals postponed. They split the first two games of their series with the Reds.

MLB postponed the rest of the series seven hours before the scheduled first pitch on Saturday night. Both teams are off Monday. The Reds have already played one seven-inning, makeup doubleheader this season necessitated by a rainout.
St. Louis resumed Saturday in Chicago against the White Sox after a 17-day pause. The Cardinals had played a total of five games, fewest by any team in the majors. By comparison, a dozen teams had played at least 20 games.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Brennaman's on-air audition for Fox News Sports Anchor
"That is not who I am and never has been, and I'd like to think maybe I could have some people that can back that up. I am very, very sorry and I beg for your forgiveness."
Seems to me when you're caught talking smack when you don't know the camera is rolling, you are being exactly who you are. Now grab 'em by the pussy!
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:30 pm Brennaman's on-air audition for Fox News Sports Anchor
"That is not who I am and never has been, and I'd like to think maybe I could have some people that can back that up. I am very, very sorry and I beg for your forgiveness."
Seems to me when you're caught talking smack when you don't know the camera is rolling, you are being exactly who you are. Now grab 'em by the pussy!
I have to say there are a couple of things I always think when I hear someone apologize like that. One, why is that word in your toolbox of words to use if that's not who you are? Even if it's used as an exclamatory word in a state of excitement, why is it one of your goto words? Second, if you are at work why are you using words like that? I mean, if you and your friends or family talk like that amongst yourselves that's one thing but at work? Using it at work implies it's so ingrained in him that it IS who he is.

In addition, I listened to the recording. He used that word very comfortably. Even now, in 2020, I get the feeling that word is still very much in play for him on a day to day basis.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Back when I worked as a call center manager, a few of us went to lunch. I opened up my lexicon to drop a few profanities, and my colleagues were shocked, as they had never heard me use such language before. There was a reason for that.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It's cool. He totally didn't realize it was such a bad word.
Thom wrote: I used a word that is both offensive and insulting. In the past 24 hours, I have read about its history; I had no idea it was so rooted in hate and violence and am particularly ashamed that I, someone who makes his living by the use of words, could be so careless and insensitive. It’s a word that should have no place in my vocabulary and I will certainly never utter it again.
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go to the emergency room to see if they can get my eyes facing forward again after rolling so forcefully to the back of my head.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

[Brit]
Maybe that's where they make the most cigarettes.
[/Brit]
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:28 pm It's cool. He totally didn't realize it was such a bad word.
Thom wrote: I used a word that is both offensive and insulting. In the past 24 hours, I have read about its history; I had no idea it was so rooted in hate and violence and am particularly ashamed that I, someone who makes his living by the use of words, could be so careless and insensitive. It’s a word that should have no place in my vocabulary and I will certainly never utter it again.
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go to the emergency room to see if they can get my eyes facing forward again after rolling so forcefully to the back of my head.
That part you quoted blows my mind even more. He says it's rooted in hate and violence, which implies if it was not he'd still think it's okay to use it. What's so hard for him to grasp about derogatory language? That statement makes it sound like he just had an epiphany that people can use words to put down other people, the shock he must feel!
naednek

Post by naednek »

That was a nice Giants win against the Smurfs.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

How 'bout dem Slam Diego Padres leading the wildcard at the half way point.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

White Sox have been fun to watch. After that amazing home run derby against the Cubs, Giolito chucks a no-hitter.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:06 pm That was a nice Giants win against the Smurfs.
As soon as I saw the score I knew it was Jansen. Anyone know of a reliable closer that’s available?
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lorini wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:16 pm
naednek wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:06 pm That was a nice Giants win against the Smurfs.
As soon as I saw the score I knew it was Jansen. Anyone know of a reliable closer that’s available?
You can probably get a great deal on Craig Kimbrel.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:02 pm
Lorini wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:16 pm
You can probably get a great deal on Craig Kimbrel.
I'm hearing that the Cubs are looking for a bag of batting practice balls.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets lost both games in a double header to the Marlins yesterday. So that's impressive. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

If anything sinks the Dodgers it's going to be their rotation. Other than Buehler and Kershaw, everybody else is way young. I wish that Ryu could have stayed, but he deserved better than being third in the rotation and I'm glad he's now the Blue Jay's ace. He deserves that.

Meanwhile the bullpen is showing some cracks as we saw last night. The Dodgers lost the lead four friggin times in that game, that's insane. Hopefully it was just a bad night for the 'pen and they'll bounce back from it,
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:25 pm Giolito chucks a no-hitter.
And nobody was there to see it. For 36 years, I was able to brag about being at the Cubs' last no-hitter (I was at Pappas-'72, next was Zambrano-'08). Something something if a bear shits in the woods and nobody sees it, does it still stink?
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

We never imagined a season like this!!! The Red Sox with a late season trade sending Mitch Moreland for prospects to the Padres!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:35 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:25 pm Giolito chucks a no-hitter.
And nobody was there to see it. For 36 years, I was able to brag about being at the Cubs' last no-hitter (I was at Pappas-'72, next was Zambrano-'08). Something something if a bear shits in the woods and nobody sees it, does it still stink?
:roll:
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:33 pm We never imagined a season like this!!! The Red Sox with a late season trade sending Mitch Moreland for prospects to the Padres!
Are those prospects any good?
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:09 am
Jaymann wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:33 pm We never imagined a season like this!!! The Red Sox with a late season trade sending Mitch Moreland for prospects to the Padres!
I understand that "Player to be Named Later" has been turning some heads.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:19 am
I understand that "Player to be Named Later" has been turning some heads.
So like, it *could* be Tatis Jr.?
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Diaz is really really bad. That is all. :grund:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Are we sure Moreland is/was?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

In a Jayson Stark worthy event, apparently the Cubs achieved a Major League first yesterday. All three starting outfielders (Schwarber, Happ, and Heyward) hit two home runs.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:51 pm
Are we sure Moreland is/was?
I'm not ruing the departure of Moreland, but rather just wondering what baubles we got in return.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:08 pm In a Jayson Stark worthy event, apparently the Cubs achieved a Major League first yesterday. All three starting outfielders (Schwarber, Happ, and Heyward) hit two home runs.
I was surprised when I heard it was a first. Not because it seems all that common but because MLB has been around a long time and lots of homeruns come from the outfield.

Some day I'm going to rank all the MLB firsts I've "seen" in my lifetime.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

When you consider that (2020 notwithstanding) the modern baseball regular season has 2,430 games, that's 4,860 times per year (since each game has two possibilities for it) that it's possible for this to happen.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Padres pick up pitcher Mike Clevinger from Cleveland and pitcher Trevor Rosenthal from KC for more prospects. Wheelin' and dealin' for the post season.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets made a few trades that I'm still understanding the point of. The Wilpons and our GQ GM hopefully will be gone next year. At least they didn't trade any really big players.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Octavious wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:18 pm Mets made a few trades that I'm still understanding the point of. The Wilpons and our GQ GM hopefully will be gone next year. At least they didn't trade any really big players.
But they dissed J-Lo because she didn't have enough scratch.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Hey nadnaek, isn't there some kind of unwritten rule that says you're supposed to stop scoring runs after 20?? Leave it to the Giants.....
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote:Hey nadnaek, isn't there some kind of unwritten rule that says you're supposed to stop scoring runs after 20?? Leave it to the Giants.....
Don't worry, we just spent our wad for the rest of the week

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Great article on the rules changes for 2020 and where MLB is heading. These are the writer's opinions based on his knowledge. Basically the reason the NL got the DH is to allow for conferences instead of the AL-NL. Other leagues have been very successful with regional conferences and MLB feels the same could happen with their game. This would mean for example that the Astros wouldn't be the only AL West team outside of the Pacific time zone, and that there could be intrastate rivalries that aren't happening now. Shorter season with more playoff games like we're getting this year. MLB has the fewest playoff game participation than any other major sport franchise. The runner on second after nine innings came from college football where the ball is placed closer to the endzone.

[Me]The bottom line is that MLB is losing fans. Attendance has been down since 2015 (excluding this year of course). Ratings have been falling for awhile. They know that their core audience is going to be unhappy but their core audience is over 50 and that audience apparently isn't enough to sustain growth. In my opinion, their real problem can't be fixed, and that's the lack of stars. Their best player is on a team that's only gone to the playoffs once since he's been on the team, Mike Trout. No baseball player makes the top 50 of the most popular players in US sports. The NBA has stars that can take over a game and seem to will their teams to win. Or Tom Brady throwing that miracle TD that wins the game. The nature of baseball is that it's a true team game, no one player can dominate like the other leagues. So maybe they need to emphasize more of who they are, a team game where the players all make a difference.

We shall see. One thing about the realignment is that the two biggest rivalries will stay intact, Sox/Yanks and Dodgers/Giants. I don't know of other rivalries but as they are hoping, maybe new ones will develop.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I think MLB's biggest problems are (in no particular order):
  • Inventory - too many games make missing one not such a big deal
  • Game Start Time - Kids aren't staying up until 11pm on weeknights to watch games
  • Playoff Game Start Time - This makes watching the World Series nearly impossible.
  • Games last too long with too little action - Hard to keep a kids attention when a pitcher throws to first 3 or 4 times
I get why things are the way they are. In the early '00s, I even had the MLB package for 2 years and got to see every Red Sox game. But there are too many things vying for kids' attention these days to make that kind of commitment work for most people.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:50 am I think MLB's biggest problems are (in no particular order):
  • Inventory - too many games make missing one not such a big deal
  • Game Start Time - Kids aren't staying up until 11pm on weeknights to watch games
  • Playoff Game Start Time - This makes watching the World Series nearly impossible.
  • Games last too long with too little action - Hard to keep a kids attention when a pitcher throws to first 3 or 4 times
I get why things are the way they are. In the early '00s, I even had the MLB package for 2 years and got to see every Red Sox game. But there are too many things vying for kids' attention these days to make that kind of commitment work for most people.
Going to a game isn't just about the action on the field. It's about the atmosphere and who you're with. You can actually talk. It's a nice contrast from loud, impossible to hear yourself think arena games like NHL and NBA and the oaf-fest that is the NFL live game experience.

Alas, if it doesn't translate to TV it needs updating. I get it but it's depressing.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »