[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Daehawk »

Is it weird of me to trust WHO more than my own CDC?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:39 pm Is it weird of me to trust WHO more than my own CDC?
Not if you favour being spoon-fed Chairman Xi's propaganda:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Is that really worse than having the CDC spoon-feed us Trump's propoganda?

Or are you just saying that the Commies want us to have bad teeth?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Anonymous Bosch

The WHO's bungling hardly absolves the POTUS (and by extension the CDC) of his own failures in confronting the pandemic, as the video above expressly points out. But the WHO's response to the coronavirus undeniably destroyed much of its credibility and significantly damaged the field of public health, and it's important to remember that if the World Health Organization had done its job, much of the global health and economic crisis might have been prevented.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
raydude

Post by raydude »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:43 pm The WHO's bungling hardly absolves the POTUS (and by extension the CDC) of his own failures in confronting the pandemic, as the video above expressly points out. But the WHO's response to the coronavirus undeniably destroyed much of its credibility and significantly damaged the field of public health, and it's important to remember that if the World Health Organization had done its job, much of the global health and economic crisis might have been prevented.
Of the two, the WHO and POTUS, which one would you say is currently actively working against fighting the pandemic?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The amazingly intelligent school board just passed a measure that would allow employees to continue working after being exposed to covid until they show symptoms.

I really think the humans are trying to wipe themselves out on purpose now.
Anonymous Bosch

raydude wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:32 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:43 pm The WHO's bungling hardly absolves the POTUS (and by extension the CDC) of his own failures in confronting the pandemic, as the video above expressly points out. But the WHO's response to the coronavirus undeniably destroyed much of its credibility and significantly damaged the field of public health, and it's important to remember that if the World Health Organization had done its job, much of the global health and economic crisis might have been prevented.
Of the two, the WHO and POTUS, which one would you say is currently actively working against fighting the pandemic?
Neither, because I know how to use words and do not appreciate someone else trying to put their words into my mouth.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I looked at the other videos from that creator. I think I'll take anything they have to say with a shaker of salt.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:43 pm The amazingly intelligent school board just passed a measure that would allow employees to continue working after being exposed to covid until they show symptoms.

I really think the humans are trying to wipe themselves out on purpose now.
At the very least I think there are many people who really do just want to live life as normal and pretend the virus does not exist. IF at some point there's an outbreak then their plan is they'll deal with the outbreak and then go back to living life as normal again. I don't think they believe any sizable number of people will be 'wiped out'. I don't think this is a conspiracy theory because I don't think all these people are acting in coordination with each other. You have the politically motivated, who want to live normally in defiance of the leftist hoax. You have workers and business people who just want to make money so they can pay their bills. You have people who don't know anyone who has been infected or died of this virus so to them it's an abstract threat at best. You have people who are just following orders. If the state says we're doing XYZ then the local school boards and administrators will tell employees and parents "We're doing XYZ". You have people who can cancel things but they'll have to absorb an enormous financial loss so they try to find a way to avoid canceling things.

Against all that you have people saying we should move cautiously. So we wind up being seen as the party poopers, the ones who are raining on everyone's parade.
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:01 pm
Freyland wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:10 pm
Lorini wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:07 pm
soulbringer wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:41 am
stessier wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:20 am SC reported only ~730 positive tests yesterday - the lowest since early June. People are seeing this as a win (we hit a high of 2200 cases in July). The thing is, we only tested 3600 people (vs a high of 11,000 in July) and the positivity rate was 19.6% (vs. 22% in July). We so need a better testing plan.
Agree we need a much much much better response. McMaster is a tool. Dr. Bell has her hands tied and a lot of people in this state just dont give a shit. Im a RN on a Covid unit in one of the largest hospital systems in the state. I just got out of the hospital Sunday after a 5 day stay of Covid + nonsense. Thank god for Plasma and Remdesivir. Its ugly out there, we really need to get with the program. Sorry for rambling, my brain fog is still terrible.
Thank you and I hope you continue to mend, you are unbelievably important in this fight against this virus. I hope you don't have (m)any long term effects!!!! :wub:
I don't believe she was saying she was sick, but rather a Frontline Warrior. And thanks for that!
He. This isn't smoove we are talking about.

Good to see you back on your feet, soulbringer.
Sorry for a late response brain fog, fatigue and shortness of breath limits my time on the internet. Just to clarify, yes He. Yes I had/have Covid and it sucks. Im just starting to feel like myself a bit more now about 17 days after when Im pretty confident I was exposed. I want to also shoot out a PSA if you end up with this disease which I really really hope you dont please please consider plasma donation when you are able. I really believe without plasma I would of ended up on a ventilator. It was a huge boost to my immune system and my O2 requirements went from very significant to very minimal about 30 hours after that plasma.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

It's nuts to 'not care' about getting it. If you thought life was bad having to do what you can to avoid Covid, life with Covid is pretty bad from the stories I'm reading. I'll wear the mask, thankyouverymuch.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

soulbringer wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:19 am
stessier wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:20 am SC reported only ~730 positive tests yesterday - the lowest since early June. People are seeing this as a win (we hit a high of 2200 cases in July). The thing is, we only tested 3600 people (vs a high of 11,000 in July) and the positivity rate was 19.6% (vs. 22% in July). We so need a better testing plan.
Agree we need a much much much better response. McMaster is a tool. Dr. Bell has her hands tied and a lot of people in this state just dont give a shit. Im a RN on a Covid unit in one of the largest hospital systems in the state. I just got out of the hospital Sunday after a 5 day stay of Covid + nonsense. Thank god for Plasma and Remdesivir. Its ugly out there, we really need to get with the program. Sorry for rambling, my brain fog is still terrible.
Thank you and I hope you continue to mend, you are unbelievably important in this fight against this virus. I hope you don't have (m)any long term effects!!!! :wub:
I don't believe she was saying she was sick, but rather a Frontline Warrior. And thanks for that!

Sorry for a late response brain fog, fatigue and shortness of breath limits my time on the internet. Just to clarify, yes He. Yes I had/have Covid and it sucks. Im just starting to feel like myself a bit more now about 17 days after when Im pretty confident I was exposed. I want to also shoot out a PSA if you end up with this disease which I really really hope you dont please please consider plasma donation when you are able. I really believe without plasma I would of ended up on a ventilator. It was a huge boost to my immune system and my O2 requirements went from very significant to very minimal about 30 hours after that plasma.
well that sucks to hear.

how long after having it are you able to donate plasma?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Guardian
An Arizona public school district was forced to cancel its plans to reopen on Monday after more than 100 teachers and other staff members called in sick.
Now some activists in Arizona, which saw a high-profile teachers’ strike in 2018, said they hope teachers across America will adopt a similar strategy to keep educators safe, as some parents and politicians continue to push for schools in the US to reopen during the coronavirus pandemic.

“I’d love to see a nationwide sickout,” Kelley Fisher, an Arizona kindergarten teacher who has led protests in the state, told Reuters on Friday.

In San Tan Valley, a suburb of Phoenix, the JO Combs unified school district’s board of governors had voted to resume in-person classes on Monday. Another school district nearby had made a similar choice, pressured by some parents who argued that reopening schools would be best for their children.

The president of the Arizona Education Association, a teacher’s union, told the Arizona Republic that the two districts both decided to reopen despite not meeting the health metrics as recommended by Arizona’s department of public health.

Not a single district in Arizona currently meets all three metrics for a safe resumption of mixed in-person and online learning, the Arizona Republic reported, citing the most recently available state public health data.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seems these schools doing part in class part online are trying to kill everyone involved..kids, parents, and teachers ..in one fell swoop.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Things seem to be going swimmingly at UNC after one week of in person classes:

Spoiler:
Also - A source on campus close to the Sigma Nu fraternity says all but two members living in the Frat Court house have tested positive for #COVID.

There’s a risk the few clusters at #UNC could already lead to an outbreak on campus.
This is after clusters in two dorms were reported this week.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If theres never a working vaccine and this stuff is re catchable after a couple months it could end us. Catch it be ok. Catch it be ok. Catch it kill you. Until everyone is gone.
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:18 pm
soulbringer wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:19 am

well that sucks to hear.

how long after having it are you able to donate plasma?
Since I received plasma, I have to wait 60 days but anyone infected that didnt need plasma can donate 2 weeks after symptoms go away. I actually infected my wife who thankfully didnt need the hospital and she is gonna donate at the end of the month.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

And UNC has another cluster of cases at a dorm.

As the tweet says, that’s announced four clusters (defined as five or more people that are in the same area testing positive) in three days. I give it another week before they move everything online.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:20 pm And UNC has another cluster of cases at a dorm.

As the tweet says, that’s announced four clusters (defined as five or more people that are in the same area testing positive) in three days. I give it another week before they move everything online.
23 OSU sorority members test positive for COVID-19, house under quarantine

The university confirmed Saturday that 23 members of Pi Beta Phi tested positive for COVID-19. OSU officials learned of the positive cases Friday night.

Only one member was symptomatic as of Saturday, said Monica Roberts, OSU director of media relations. No members are allowed to leave the off-campus sorority house. One member who lives outside the chapter house tested positive and is now in isolation.

A third-party contractor will disinfect the building and will do so again after the two-week quarantine period. The university and the Payne County Health Department are conducting contact tracing.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There are FOUR...OSUs!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:44 pm There are FOUR...OSUs!
Oklahoma, of course.
Officials at Westmore High School in Moore, a city just south of Oklahoma City, said a student who had tested positive for COVID-19 deliberately attended the first few days of classes.

Dawn Jones, Moore Public School’s Public Information Office, told KFOR that administrators received an anonymous tip on Thursday.

When school officials contacted the unidentified student, they said they thought it was okay to return to classes because they had no symptoms.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:36 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:43 pm I live on one county. The kids go to school in another, and we do our shopping in a third. While the schools and stores have both been hit, the county we actually live in has been fairly mild.

In the past week we've gone from 2.x% positive rate to 8.5%. In the past week we've had as many cases as all of June and July combined.
A week later and we're up to 16.5% positivity rates.

And the local school district is also going all in-person with no masks when at least 3' can be maintained. They started Tuesday.
17.9! Our 7-day trend looks like the Battlecruiser 3000 AD learning curve.

And when it comes to per-capita infections, we're now #1 in the state!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, and we have a huge festival in four weeks that they've refused to cancel.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wonder how the Sturgis attendees are feeling?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:32 am Wonder how the Sturgis attendees are feeling?
Incubation period is too long. Live fast , die... not so young!
Fifth person dies in fatal crashes at 2020 Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

A 64-year-old man died in a motorcycle crash Friday and a 56-year-old man died of his injuries from an earlier motorcycle crash this week at the 2020 Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, authorities say.

Five people have died so far in motorcycle crashes this year at the rally. Two people died in crashes at this time last year, according to a report from the South Dakota Department of Public Safety released Saturday afternoon.
Non-injury, injury and fatal motorcycle crashes are higher than this time last year, with 102 accidents so far. At this time last year, there were 85, according to the report.

Also in the report, drug arrests are about 30 arrests higher than this time last year — along with $18,763 seized. Seven vehicles have been seized by authorities for drug possession, the release states. Only five vehicles were seized at this time last year, and no money was seized during the rally.

MYT
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

After one week of classes and two weeks of students on campus, UNC is announcing they're going to online only. It's the right decision, just made two weeks too late. Basically, they just brought tens of thousands of students together to get exposed, then head back to their communities to spread the virus. Well done, UNC.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

COVID in US mink.
SALT LAKE CITY — The United States Department of Agriculture's National Veterinary Service Laboratory has announced the country's first cases of SARS-CoV-2 (coronavirus) found in mink, and all five cases were found at two mink farms in Utah.

The Utah Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory conducted necropsies on several dead mink from the two farms after receiving reports that mink fatalities were uncommonly high. Both farms have been completely quarantined, a news release from the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food said.

Although these cases are the first for the United States, the Netherlands has also confirmed cases of coronavirus in mink.

Both mink farms, which were not identified, also reported COVID-19 cases in their staff members.

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:32 pm
Both mink farms, which were not identified, also reported COVID-19 cases in their staff members.
This is not the first animal crossover. It might be time for more people to consider going at least vegetarian. From discovering COVID in frozen poultry being imported into China to the numerous live animal cross-overs... a little more social distancing for animals would also be good for global warming.

"Meatless Alternatives" have come a long way in the last couple of years - to the point where things like the Impossible Burger may obliterate the need for most beef manufacturing if folks could just get their heads around it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Paingod wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:08 am This is not the first animal crossover. It might be time for more people to consider going at least vegetarian.
This seems like a bit of a stretch for the average consumer. Maybe people handling the animals should take a few extra precautions (although I'm not sure there have been many documented cases of animal to human transmission outside of the original case), but I would assume (hope?) cooking the meat would kill any viruses.

edit: there are plenty of arguments to be made for going vegetarian, but reducing the risk of contracting viruses seem pretty low on the potential benefit scale.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:32 pm After one week of classes and two weeks of students on campus, UNC is announcing they're going to online only. It's the right decision, just made two weeks too late. Basically, they just brought tens of thousands of students together to get exposed, then head back to their communities to spread the virus. Well done, UNC.
My daughter's high school here in the upstate just gave us our three week notice that the plan is to return to 2x/week in person starting 9/9. This assumes that the spread remains Medium by DHEC's metrics as of Monday (8/24), but I can't imagine it as anything higher given we only tested 3500 people yesterday. I really wish I could trust that all the drops were because the spread was really less in our area, but given the situation in NC and GA, only 90 miles in each direction, I can't imagine we are really a pocket immunity in that sea of disease. This is not stressing me out at all.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The drop in testing is awful, but there has also been a pretty decent drop in positivity over the last week (down to under 10% as of yesterday). But positivity seems to fluctuate pretty rapidly and I won't be surprised when it jumps up once more schools start holding in person classes.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:27 amedit: there are plenty of arguments to be made for going vegetarian, but reducing the risk of contracting viruses seem pretty low on the potential benefit scale.
I wasn't thinking so much of people contracting viruses from animals, but more that animals are going to need to be slaughtered and disposed of in mass scales because of the virus. It's incredibly wasteful, which is already true of animal agriculture in general. It's another reason to stack on the list of reasons to go vegetarian or vegan.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Paingod wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:08 am "Meatless Alternatives" have come a long way in the last couple of years - to the point where things like the Impossible Burger may obliterate the need for most beef manufacturing if folks could just get their heads around it.
I'm very amenable to meatless alternatives. My wife is virtually vegan (she'll still eat honey and non-cow dairy) and I cook with a lot of tofu, grill tempeh, work with beef alternatives, etc. But there's still a long way to go for a beef replacement that matches the flavor, texture, and versatility of beef. Combine that with the lack of health benefits from faux beef, and it's a ways away. I'd rather switch over to ground turkey or chicken before using today's beef alternatives.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:27 am Maybe people handling the animals should take a few extra precautions
That's about as likely as Trump conceding gracefully. FBI outbreaks are what they are because existing precautions aren't followed.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Sudy wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:49 am

The pharmacy has a wall of five or six different brands of hand sanitizers (but I still can't find any wipes). They're all around 250 mL and $5-6 CAD ($3.75-4.50 USD). It seems expensive. Is this what it cost before Covid and the related shortage?

This may explain why you can't find any wipes at your local shop, and neither can anybody else.

Clorox won't have enough disinfecting wipes until 2021, its CEO says
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKCN2501EU

"Many companies in the industry make wipes with polyester spunlace, a material currently in short supply as it is also used to make personal protective equipment like masks, medical gowns and medical wipes."
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got plenty of wipes. None are Clorox but one is Lysol. I want some Lysol spray though. Hahaha finding that.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:06 pm I got plenty of wipes. None are Clorox but one is Lysol. I want some Lysol spray though. Hahaha finding that.
It's widely available from Costco. I grabbed one of these multipacks just last week:

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Worst case some bleach, a spray bottle, water, and a bunch of towels.

My wife refuses to use wipes and paper towels because they are, she says, wasteful. No idea if the extra towel-washing offsets any environmental savings. At least I finally convinced her to use spray products instead of vinegar water.

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:29 am
I'm very amenable to meatless alternatives. My wife is virtually vegan (she'll still eat honey and non-cow dairy) and I cook with a lot of tofu, grill tempeh, work with beef alternatives, etc. But there's still a long way to go for a beef replacement that matches the flavor, texture, and versatility of beef. Combine that with the lack of health benefits from faux beef, and it's a ways away. I'd rather switch over to ground turkey or chicken before using today's beef alternatives.
I'm not vegetarian, but my meat intake is probably 20% of what it used to be. I think the thing that made it easiest for me was to stop thinking of products as a beef replacement and starting thinking of them as a different 'meat' altogether. A lot of them compare poorly to beef, but are just fine as their own thing.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:31 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:29 am
I'm not vegetarian, but my meat intake is probably 20% of what it used to be. I think the thing that made it easiest for me was to stop thinking of products as a beef replacement and starting thinking of them as a different 'meat' altogether. A lot of them compare poorly to beef, but are just fine as their own thing.
You're absolutely right. Actually, I'd take it a step further and say a lot of meatless protein sources are great on their own. I make a great crispy tofu stir fry where I start by getting cubed (super firm) tofu nice and crispy, put it to the side, and then stir fry the veggies in the wok before adding the tofu back in at the end (keeping it the wok the whole time will end up defeating the purpose of crisping it up in the first place). It's great, and it wouldn't work nearly as well with a meat protein source. The twins gobble it up, and we have to make sure we save extra tofu for seconds for them (but they do tend to pick around the eggplant . . . .).

I think that "Impossible" and "Beyond Beef" are opening people up to the idea that meatless can be good, but if you really want to get people to switch to a meatless diet, you need to stop comparing meat proteins to non-meat proteins. I hate going to a restaurant and the meatless options are all faux chicken or faux beef. Just let the ingredients be themselves!
That's my purse! I don't know you!