R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

Re: R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:26 am because when's the last time you had a functioning cassette player?
i have four or five that work quite well, thank you. last year i actually purchased a _new_ album on cassette. i stupidly got rid of some cassettes when i got my first CD player in 1992, but i have acquired quite-a-lot-many of them since.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

One of the pioneers of the modern computer interface has passed away: the New York Times reports that William “Bill” English died on July 26th from respiratory failure at the age of 91. Alongside Douglas Englebart at the Stanford Research Institute, English helped develop the first computer mouse and put together a 1968 “Mother of All Demos” that outlined many concepts that would come to PCs over the decades, such as graphical user interfaces, online text editing, video calls and hypertext links.
Computer mouse co-inventor William English dies at 91
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:21 am
Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:26 am because when's the last time you had a functioning cassette player?
i have four or five that work quite well, thank you. last year i actually purchased a _new_ album on cassette. i stupidly got rid of some cassettes when i got my first CD player in 1992, but i have acquired quite-a-lot-many of them since.
Four or five years ago I grabbed a cable, my cassette player, and all of the cassettes I still owned (half a dozen, all stuff that just isn't available anywhere else), and copied them all to my PC. Then I carefully placed the special cassettes in a storage box, and carefully placed the player in a storage trash can.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:26 am
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:04 am
Kraken wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:44 pm False equivalence. 1979 was one of the best years of my life, and I don't even remember 2004.
Actually, this is true for me as well.
Your Mother (my band) wrote a song called 1979. AFAIK it only still exists on a cassette that I can't play anymore, because when's the last time you had a functioning cassette player? We also had a song called Skylab that was huge in 1979. I can still remember some of the lyrics. IDK if it was ever recorded.
I was five in 1979, and turned six a third of the way through. In retrospect, it was the last year of my childhood, and the last year of 'wide eyed innocence' before life started happening. I was still living in my childhood home in Clovis (we'd move near the end of the year), my mother was still alive (she'd die two years later, and spend most of the intervening time sick), my sister still lived with us, and my father wasn't the one raising me yet. We had plenty of money (that would never happen again), and I was too young to be aware of the problems of the world. I was also too young to experience the social pressures and expectations that I (for reasons - autism - I couldn't understand then) wouldn't be able to handle and would drive me into depression and anxiety. I was six then, and I can tell you that seven years old is way to young to suddenly have to grow up and become an 'adult.'

In 1979, none of that had happened yet, and when I look back into the past for a time when everything was 'perfect', my mind always dredges up 1979. When I'm feeling nostalgic and just want to be at peace, that's where I go.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:26 am AFAIK it only still exists on a cassette that I can't play anymore, because when's the last time you had a functioning cassette player?
I have what I believe to be a functioning Tapedeck component in a five component stereo system (tuner, amp, CD player, tape deck, turntable) and a dual cassette portable radio. I don't think I own any cassettes and haven't played one since the 90s, so I can't guarantee any of it works. :oops:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I used to live for cassette tapes. I would record the best tracks off my vinyl collection so I could play them in my car. I still have many of those tapes. Fast forward a quarter century and my work was getting rid of some expensive tape recorders, so I nabbed one. Spent a couple days listening to the old tapes - good times.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:53 am I used to live for cassette tapes. I would record the best tracks off my vinyl collection so I could play them in my car. I still have many of those tapes. Fast forward a quarter century and my work was getting rid of some expensive tape recorders, so I nabbed one. Spent a couple days listening to the old tapes - good times.
I had some mixed tapes I loved. I don't know where they went. They just went *poof*.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:42 pm Prince's album, 1999, was released in 1982. That would be like someone today releasing an album titled, 2037.
That's my hopeful retirement year!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

stessier wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:28 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:42 pm Prince's album, 1999, was released in 1982. That would be like someone today releasing an album titled, 2037.
That's my hopeful retirement year!
I had that album. I also played it in 1999 for the fun.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Two losses. One a Nobel Prize winner and one a fellow geek. I feel the death of Bill. He came across as a gentle soul with a wondrous intellect. Always smiling in interviews and happy to show off the 'wooden box' that started our journey to today.

Bill English: Computer mouse co-creator dies at 91
The co-creator of the computer mouse, William English, has died aged 91.

The engineer and inventor was born in 1929 in Kentucky and studied electrical engineering at university before joining the US Navy.

He built the first mouse in 1963, using an idea put forward by his colleague Doug Engelbart while the pair were working on early computing.

It would only become commonplace two decades later, when personal home computers became popular.

Mr English's death was confirmed to US media outlets by his wife.
Enlarge Image

==============================================================================================

AND
==============================================================================================

John Hume: Nobel Peace Prize winner dies aged 83
He died in a Londonderry nursing home following a long period of illness.

One of the highest-profile politicians in Northern Ireland for more than 30 years, he helped create the climate that brought an end to the Troubles.

He was a founding member of the Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP) in 1970 and led the party from 1979 until 2001.
Enlarge Image
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

McNutt wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:03 am Wait, so Grampa Wilfred Brimley was only a couple of years older than me when he made Cocoon? Holy shit!
$#^$&#, he was about a year younger than I am right now. :(
Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:32 pm Image
And Bryan Adams recorded Summer of 69 in 1984. Is he working on Summer of '05 now?
Last edited by Hrdina on Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conform or be cast out!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

That hurts, but interesting cultural stuff still happened through the end of the 80s. Everyone knows humanity has been culturally dead in most regions since around 1997 and the advent of reality television. Everything has now just blended together in a slow downward march into obscurity and the banal.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sudy wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:43 pm Everyone knows humanity has been culturally dead in most regions since around 1997 and the advent of reality television.
i remember the late 90s as a garbage wasteland of music and i'm still mad i lived so many years of my life in that gross time. but music seemed to recover around 2003.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:43 pm Everyone knows humanity has been culturally dead in most regions since around 1997 and the advent of reality television.
And the first use of auto-tune in 1998.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When you get to be my age you'll look back to now as the "good ole days".
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The secret to happiness is finally realizing that all of the times were the 'good old days' and you just never recognized it until later. And that means that realizing that every day is a good old day.

If anyone figures out how to do that, let me know.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I never felt medieval times were all that great.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hrdina wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:30 pm And Bryan Adams recorded Summer of 69 in 1984. Is he working on Summer of '05 now?
And Iggy Pop wrote 1969 in 1969. That'd be like writing a song called 20/20 now.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:42 am I never felt medieval times were all that great.
I had a lot of fun at Medieval Times!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Not many people are owed more of a debt by our hobby, heck even our way life.

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/13/90227739 ... dies-at-91
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

R.I.P
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Bet he has a really small coffin.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:33 am The secret to happiness is finally realizing that all of the times were the 'good old days' and you just never recognized it until later. And that means that realizing that every day is a good old day.

If anyone figures out how to do that, let me know.
I had a humanities class in college where one of the books was "The Good Ol' Days...They Were Terrible!" by Otto Bettmann (with photos from the Bettmann archives). I learned not to be overly nostalgic in that class (which was invitation-only) and better appreciate modern advances. I usually can refrain from being overly snarky in the FB nostalgia group for the town I grew up in (with old photos posted daily). It's kind of fun to reminisce, but living in the past? That's a pretty awesome Jethro Tull song.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I live in the past all the time. Nothing now or future.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That was mostly humor. There are 'good old days', but they're never what our memories tell us they were.

Any time I find myself looking too hard at how good things were back in (usually in 19-something) and I didn't appreciate it at the time, I stop and make myself remember why I was so unhappy during these so-called 'good days.' Invariably, our minds protect us by burying all the crappy memories and just leaving behind the great ones.

1998? I was young, still in my 20s. I had the freedom that you have before kids. I'd just discovered PC gaming. I had money. I was thin and in shape. I had a job where I was in management and had the respect of my peers. I had a hot girlfriend (soon to be wife.) What's not to love?

Oh, yeah. My anxiety was so through the roof that I gamed and chain smoked two and a half packs a day just to forget, and I hadn't even discovered that it was anxiety yet. My stress levels made me angry, miserable, and unpleasant to be around. My job was mostly about getting the blame from the upper management for any issues that took place in a public place that had tens of thousands of visitors on a good day. I wanted out so badly that I barely slept, because sleeping meant it was, *snap*, the next day and time for work again.

But when I think back, I think about the friends, the freedom, the discovery, the respect, and my youth. The rest is only there when I dig, even though it was 70% of the reality back then.

Human brains are fun.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:28 pm That was mostly humor. There are 'good old days', but they're never what our memories tell us they were.
We'll always have 1979.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:21 pm We'll always have 1979.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

"1979" by Smashing Pumpkins came out in 1995. If it came out today, it would be titled, "2004."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Doesn't seem long ago.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

2004? That was before I was born! :?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Spock's father has died
British actor Ben Cross, known for his role as athlete Harold Abrahams in “Chariots of Fire” and Spock’s father Sarek in 2009’s “Star Trek” reboot, has died at the age of 72.The actor made his screen debut in 1976 World War II thriller “A Bridge Too Far,” he portrayed slick lawyer Billy Flynn on stage in “Chicago” in the late 1970s, was Prince Malagant in “First Knight” in 1995, and more recently was in works like “The Hurricane Heist” and The CW’s “Pandora”.
Enlarge Image
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

RIP to Ron "Rontrose" Heathman, founding guitarist for The Supersuckers. He died yesterday. Cause of death has not been announced.

This really bums me out. I saw Rontrose with The Supersuckers at least 30 times and chatted with him many times at shows. He was a funny, humble man and just a monster guitarist. After he left The Supersuckers he got into coffee roasting and bounced around the country. He ended up in my humble hometown and worked for a roaster that was in the same building that housed the brewery warehouse my brother-in-law ran. Those two got to know each other during smoke breaks on the loading dock and bonded over music. I got to hang out with Ron but never got a chance to fanboy him and reintroduce myself as a major Supersuckers fan.

There was a period of time when our schedules synced in an amusing way. I would be driving home from work and stuck in a long line at a traffic light at the same time he would be out on said loading dock having a smoke. When I would get close to his smoke spot I would put on some Black Sabbath and crank it up. When he looked over to see who was jammin' I'd throw him the Mano Cornuta and we would laugh. It happened like twice a week for a whole summer.

There are plenty of videos out there of him playing guitar but I really like this one where he talks about coffee. I think his personality really comes through:

Holman

Post by Holman »

I remember my wife coming home with the Supersuckers' The Evil Powers of Rock 'n' Roll. I'd never heard of them, and it blew me away.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Holman wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:09 pm I remember my wife coming home with the Supersuckers' The Evil Powers of Rock 'n' Roll. I'd never heard of them, and it blew me away.
Such a great album. They actually had to record it twice and form a record label to release it due to some shenanigans with their original label.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Todd Nance of widespread panic has died, CNN.

Never really listened to them, but respected the determination and regular band attitude (as opposed to the "best band" one hit wonders like Creed)
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm not a fan of Creed, but I have to give them their due. They sold over 50 million albums and are not a one-hit wonder.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Oh that's a bummer.

I had a college friend turn me on to Widespread Panic ages and ages ago.

two of my favorites:

Traveling Light

and, Coconuts

really, that whole album is pretty good.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

A nonny mouse wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:16 am (as opposed to the "best band" one hit wonders like Creed)
I always felt like Creed wanted to be Perl Jam... a poor man's Eddie Vedder.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unagi wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:25 am
A nonny mouse wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:16 am (as opposed to the "best band" one hit wonders like Creed)
I always felt like Creed wanted to be Perl Jam... a poor man's Eddie Vedder.
I can't stand either one.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter