Cops behaving badly

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Alefroth

Re: Cops behaving badly

Post by Alefroth »

Punisher wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:16 am
To me, this new angle makes it clear that the officer in the white cap did not see it. The fact that he snaps his head to look after the fact would seem to indicate that as well. I suspect he may have heard the hit and turned after the fact. similar to that video with the old protestor who cracked his head on the ground. there is an angle from across the street where the crack can be heard and several officers turn to look. They heard something but didn't see anything.
The one pointing the finger seems to be the bald guy in front and unless he's undercover, I don't see any police patches or anything so I'm not sure he's a cop. There is another cop that can be seen walking up in the back right after the fact so no idea where he was looking.
Also, if there is a mob of people surrounding someone then no the cops wouldn't always be focusing on the person being surrounded they would be trying to scan the mob. I also don't know how many officers were actually there. I can only see 2 total and they can't look everywhere at once.
Holy shit.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:32 pm
Punisher wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:16 am
To me, this new angle makes it clear that the officer in the white cap did not see it. The fact that he snaps his head to look after the fact would seem to indicate that as well. I suspect he may have heard the hit and turned after the fact. similar to that video with the old protestor who cracked his head on the ground. there is an angle from across the street where the crack can be heard and several officers turn to look. They heard something but didn't see anything.
The one pointing the finger seems to be the bald guy in front and unless he's undercover, I don't see any police patches or anything so I'm not sure he's a cop. There is another cop that can be seen walking up in the back right after the fact so no idea where he was looking.
Also, if there is a mob of people surrounding someone then no the cops wouldn't always be focusing on the person being surrounded they would be trying to scan the mob. I also don't know how many officers were actually there. I can only see 2 total and they can't look everywhere at once.
Holy shit.
Not sure what you mean. Holy Shit I'm the greatest poster in the history of OO? Holy Shit, I'm full of shit? Somewhere in the middle?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holy shit I can't believe you watched that and came away with the cops weren't behaving badly.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:55 pm Holy shit I can't believe you watched that and came away with the cops weren't behaving badly.
Again, That's what I saw. Can you see something different? Can you see and know for a fact that the cop saw the hit? It really didn't look like it and if he had to turn his head toward the person who got hit, my logic says that he wasn't looking at him in the first place.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Punisher wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:58 pm
Alefroth wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:55 pm Holy shit I can't believe you watched that and came away with the cops weren't behaving badly.
Again, That's what I saw. Can you see something different? Can you see and know for a fact that the cop saw the hit? It really didn't look like it and if he had to turn his head toward the person who got hit, my logic says that he wasn't looking at him in the first place.
There's so much more going on before and after the hit though. Just the way he yells at the protester after he complains about being punched earns it a place in the Cops Behaving Badly thread.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The cop in the back studying the ground as a mob surrounds a guy screaming at him says much. 'I SEE NOTHING!'
Alefroth wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:00 pm
Punisher wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:58 pm
There's so much more going on before and after the hit though. Just the way he yells at the protester after he complains about being punched earns it a place in the Cops Behaving Badly thread.
I give that guy mounds of credit. He got slapped by a piece of shit coward in the head. You can see him take a moment to compose himself and not give that cop an excuse to turn on him with a crowd yelling at him. Fuck that town and fuck those police.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Antonio Smith. Crime: Waiting while black. Punishment: Bear hug and body slam from behind while attempting to comply with a request for ID. Currently suing for $700,000. It's disturbing how casually the second officer shows up and breaks the man with no warning, only telling him to put his hands behind his back AFTER wrapping him in a bear hug so he can't possibly move.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

What the effing eff?
Sitting in his patrol car in Wilmington, N.C., Officer Michael “Kevin” Piner predicted Black Lives Matter protests would soon lead to civil war. “I’m ready,” Piner told another officer, adding that he planned to buy an assault rifle.

“We are just going to go out and start slaughtering them f------ n------,” he said.

The shocking threat came amid extended, openly racist conversations between Piner, 44, and two other police officers, 50-year-old Cpl. Jesse E. Moore II, and 48-year-old Officer James “Brian” Gilmore. In the discussions, taped by accident on a patrol car camera and released Wednesday by the department, the men freely drop racial slurs, suggest killing black residents and deride protesters.

“Wipe 'em off the f------ map,” Piner said of African Americans. “That’ll put 'em back about four or five generations.”
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:34 pm What the effing eff?
Sitting in his patrol car in Wilmington, N.C., Officer Michael “Kevin” Piner predicted Black Lives Matter protests would soon lead to civil war. “I’m ready,” Piner told another officer, adding that he planned to buy an assault rifle.

“We are just going to go out and start slaughtering them f------ n------,” he said.

The shocking threat came amid extended, openly racist conversations between Piner, 44, and two other police officers, 50-year-old Cpl. Jesse E. Moore II, and 48-year-old Officer James “Brian” Gilmore. In the discussions, taped by accident on a patrol car camera and released Wednesday by the department, the men freely drop racial slurs, suggest killing black residents and deride protesters.

“Wipe 'em off the f------ map,” Piner said of African Americans. “That’ll put 'em back about four or five generations.”
Jesus. I mean I know they're out there but that is still scary as fuck.

Also, what is with Michael "Kevin" Piner and James "Brian" Gilmore? "I'm James, but you can call me Brian."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC News
Four police officers in San Jose, California, have been placed on leave while the department says it is investigating alleged racist and anti-Muslim posts on Facebook.

The investigation apparently grew out of a blog post Friday on Medium by an anonymous author who claims to be "the partner of an active law enforcement officer in a San Francisco Bay Area police department."

The Medium article includes screenshots of alleged posts by active and retired San Jose officers, including some that the author says were posted to a private Facebook group of both retired and current officers in the city.
The screenshots include an alleged post by a retired officer who lambastes Black Lives Matter protesters as “racist idiots,” “un-American” and “enemies.” Another screenshot, allegedly of a post by a current officer in San Jose, says, “Black lives don’t really matter.”

The article also includes screenshots of anti-Muslim posts allegedly made in the private Facebook group, including one comment saying, “I say re-purpose the hijabs into nooses.”

Officer Gina Tepoorten, a spokesperson for the San Jose Police Department, said an administrative probe into the comments is underway, and "four of our officers have been placed on administrative leave while the investigation is conducted."

The FBI has been asked to assist in the probe, Tepoorten said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Just shows you that some cops in the US believe their job is to protect White people and White owned property. The hell with everyone else.
Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Lorini wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:34 am Just shows you that some cops in the US believe their job is to protect White people and White owned property. The hell with everyone else.
Bold above is mine.
I can absolutely agree with this, just as I can absolutely agree that there are racists cops, idiot cops, asshole cops, etc.. This also applies to all walks of life and professions.
I do get tweaked over blanket statements and when people automatically assume it's all cops that are one of the above.
I also get tweaked when people automatically assume a particular incident is racist or a violation of use of force or something before all the evidence is found out. Yes, cops should be held to a higher standard, but just like everyone else they should be presumed innocent.
Especially when someone releases a short clip of video in the middle of something or at the end with no context on what happened leading up to it.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Punisher wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:07 am
Lorini wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:34 am Just shows you that some cops in the US believe their job is to protect White people and White owned property. The hell with everyone else.
Bold above is mine.
I can absolutely agree with this, just as I can absolutely agree that there are racists cops, idiot cops, asshole cops, etc.. This also applies to all walks of life and professions.
I do get tweaked over blanket statements and when people automatically assume it's all cops that are one of the above.
I also get tweaked when people automatically assume a particular incident is racist or a violation of use of force or something before all the evidence is found out. Yes, cops should be held to a higher standard, but just like everyone else they should be presumed innocent.
Especially when someone releases a short clip of video in the middle of something or at the end with no context on what happened leading up to it.
Not trying to make this R&P, but: Bolding unnecessary, we all saw the some. And using the emphasis and the "not all" argument is a diversion tactic. Everyone knows not all cops are bad. Enough of them clearly are that the conversation needs to be had, and it needs to be had openly, honestly, painfully, and without mitigating all of the horror. It's just not the time for the "Not all" argument right now.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

This is a good step. They way you show not all cops are racists are by speaking up rather than covering up. The good officers know who the bad officers are — and need to help do something about it.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I got pulled over once by a nice cop who let me off with a warning. Just like on the Chapplle Show.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

MHS wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:57 am
Bold above is mine.
Not trying to make this R&P, but: Bolding unnecessary, we all saw the some. And using the emphasis and the "not all" argument is a diversion tactic. Everyone knows not all cops are bad. Enough of them clearly are that the conversation needs to be had, and it needs to be had openly, honestly, painfully, and without mitigating all of the horror. It's just not the time for the "Not all" argument right now.
Just like using the "This also applies to all walks of life and professions." is deflecting scrutiny away from where it really needs to be.

I think this thread really belongs in R&P anyway.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Bold above is mine.
That’s the thing.. I don’t think that everyone understands (not saying people here necessarily although I have gotten that impression in the past. This is a public forum) I have seen a lot of blanket statements that cops are bad, cops are racist, etc.. I firmly believe that the good cops far outnumber the bad cops. There may be certain areas where that is reversed but if it was as wide spread as some people make it out to be we would be hearing about it a lot more in this digital video age.
Yes I agree that the good cops should also be helping when and where they can to weed out the bad cops.
Not trying to deflect anything but trying to play devils advocate and make sure that this isn’t seen as a cop wide issue. Yes, In the areas where this happens it needs to be fixed, but I really don’t think it’s a system wide issue.
As for R&P, I honestly thought this was already there but never gave it a big thought because I don’t think I’ve crossed any politeness lines and if I did I apologize because that’s not my intent.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Punisher wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:27 pm
Everyone knows not all cops are bad. Enough of them clearly are that the conversation needs to be had, and it needs to be had openly, honestly, painfully, and without mitigating all of the horror. It's just not the time for the "Not all" argument right now.
Yes I agree that the good cops should also be helping when and where they can to weed out the bad cops.
I'm fully on-board with good cops not being "good" anymore if they're covering for bad cops. While all walks of life have good and bad people, you won't find the good people so eager to cover up for the bad ones in any other field. I think even the military is more willing to eject the bad seeds than police forces are. You'll never catch an IT person or a Nurse covering for the jerk in their department just because they share the same title. The "Us vs. Them" runs real deep in police mentality, with "Us" seeming to overcome common sense and decency too often.
Black Lives Matter

MHS

Post by MHS »

Punisher wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:27 pm I don’t think I’ve crossed any politeness lines and if I did I apologize because that’s not my intent.
You haven't crossed any politeness lines, no need for an apology.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Punisher wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:27 pm
Bold above is mine.
That’s the thing.. I don’t think that everyone understands (not saying people here necessarily although I have gotten that impression in the past. This is a public forum) I have seen a lot of blanket statements that cops are bad, cops are racist, etc.. I firmly believe that the good cops far outnumber the bad cops. There may be certain areas where that is reversed but if it was as wide spread as some people make it out to be we would be hearing about it a lot more in this digital video age.
Not trying to deflect anything but trying to play devils advocate and make sure that this isn’t seen as a cop wide issue. Yes, In the areas where this happens it needs to be fixed, but I really don’t think it’s a system wide issue.
As for R&P, I honestly thought this was already there but never gave it a big thought because I don’t think I’ve crossed any politeness lines and if I did I apologize because that’s not my intent.
There's a line in Connelly's Bosch novels which applies here - "Everybody counts or nobody counts."

How it applies to the "good" cops is this - if you selectively enforce the law so that it doesn't apply to your fellow officers, are you a "good" cop?

Quis quistodiet ipsos custodes?

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Cop suspended over ‘All Lives Splatter’ meme posted after Seattle protester killed by driver
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ts-wrapper
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

disgusting.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:37 pmdisgusting.
You'd think the 'good cops' who worked with this one would quickly and loudly condemn that.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:09 pm
You'd think the 'good cops' who worked with this one would quickly and loudly condemn that.
They'd get pilloried by the Union.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:18 pm
Alefroth wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:09 pm
They'd get pilloried by the Union.
More appropriately called the Police Mafia, really. They pay their protection money each month, keep their mouths shut when something bad happens, and in turn they're all "protected" from society.
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

Masai Ujiri is the president of the Toronto Raptors. After his team won the NBA championship, he tried to make his way to the court to celebrate. A security officer stopped him and later filed suit claiming he was struck with a closed fist and suffered a "permanent disability" from the altercation. Yesterday, Ujiri filed a countersuit that included bodycam footage from the officer. You'll be shocked to learn it doesn't support the officer's account.
Yahoo Sports wrote:Eight months later, Strickland filed a federal lawsuit against Ujiri, the Raptors, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment and the NBA, in which he alleged he'd suffered a "permanent disability" as a result of the altercation, and claimed that Ujiri hit him "in the face and chest with both fists."

But Ujiri's legal team -- Cotchett, Pitre & McCarthy, LLP --- filed a 108-page counterclaim that included an 11-second clip from Strickland's bodycam, painting a completely different picture. In the video, Strickland forcefully shoves Ujiri twice before Ujiri pushes back, and not in the way the deputy had described.

"There is, however, no objective evidence to support Mr. Strickland's alleged injuries and video evidence, including footage from Mr. Strickland's body camera, shows Mr. Strickland subjected Mr. Ujiri to an unprovoked and unnecessary use of excessive force," Ujiri's lawyers wrote in the counterclaim.

Strickland also is described as "undeniably the initial aggressor" by Ujiri's lawyers.

The newly released 6 minutes and 20 seconds of video, consisting of three edited clips, shows Ujiri attempting to walk onto the court and Strickland putting his arm out to stop him while asking for Ujiri's credential -- which clearly is displayed in the video. Strickland then is seen pushing Ujiri.

The counterclaim alleges Strickland told Ujiri to "back the f--k up."

"Why did you push me," Ujiri asks. "I'm the president of the Raptors."

The court filing also contains three witness statements, issued under the penalty of perjury, that support Ujiri's account. All three allege that Ujiri did not hit Strickland with closed fists, nor did he make contact with the deputy's face. Additionally, the statements are consistent in their description of Strickland not falling to the ground, nor appearing injured after the altercation.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Strickland also claimed Ujiri had a “violent predisposition” and acted with an “evil motive amounting to malice,” according to his suit and workers' compensation claims.
I have enough information now to determine that I hate that man.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

We all hate him. :tjg:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

McNutt wrote:
Strickland also claimed Ujiri had a “violent predisposition” and acted with an “evil motive amounting to malice,” according to his suit and workers' compensation claims.
I have enough information now to determine that I hate that man.
In short, he was a black man going about his business. Got it loud and clear, Strickland.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

He comes off in the video as an asshole shoving this person for no reason. You know what? I could forgive the guy for that if he just said, "I misinterpreted what you were doing, was out of line, and am really sorry for treating you that way."

Nope. He doubles down and says that he now is too hurt to work because of the damage done and is suing the guy he attacked. I'm glad this guy is getting publicly exposed for the piece of crap he is.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Money grab. It this wasn't the Raptors president (or another suitably wealthy individual) I doubt the first suit gets filed. Of course if it's not the Raptors president (or another suitably wealthy individual) he probably doesn't have the resources to fight it either.

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:57 am Money grab. It this wasn't the Raptors president (or another suitably wealthy individual) I doubt the first suit gets filed. Of course if it's not the Raptors president (or another suitably wealthy individual) he probably doesn't have the resources to fight it either.
You're actually saying that the President of the Toronto Raptors is suing him as a friggin' money grab? After the police department LIED about what happened? He is not entitled to damages? Seriously? Like he even needs the money? What?

I mean seriously I realize you appear to be a police apologist but in my opinion that's going way over the line.
Last edited by Lorini on Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lorini wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:28 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:57 am Money grab. It this wasn't the Raptors president (or another suitably wealthy individual) I doubt the first suit gets filed. Of course if it's not the Raptors president (or another suitably wealthy individual) he probably doesn't have the resources to fight it either.
You're actually saying that the President of the Toronto Raptors is suing him as a friggin' money grab? After the police department LIED about what happened? He is not entitled to damages? Seriously? Like he even needs the money? What?

I mean seriously I realize you appear to be a police apologist but in my opinion that's going way over the line.
No, the original lawsuit brought by the officer was a money grab. The countersuit is justified IMO.

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:32 pm
Lorini wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:28 pm

No, the original lawsuit brought by the officer was a money grab. The countersuit is justified IMO.
OK I will strike out what I said. Thanks much for the clarification!!! I know you know a lot about the police so I jumped to the wrong conclusion. Apologies!!!!!!
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Not a problem, glad you asked!

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

How on earth does this crap keep happening?
Barton said she was the one who called the police and asked for a crisis intervention team (CIT). She said her son, who was Asperger's, was having a mental breakdown. She spoke briefly about how she was told how the CIT would respond:

This is how to deal with people with mental health issues. So, you call them, and they're supposed to come out and be able to deescalate a situation using the most minimal force possible.

On the phone with officers, Barton told officers the best way to approach her son:

I said, he's unarmed, he doesn't have anything, he just gets mad and he starts yelling and screaming. He's a kid he's trying to get attention, he doesn't know how to regulate.

She said she was to stay while the two officers went through the front door of the home in the area of 500 S. Navajo Street in the Glendale neighborhood. She said in less than five minutes, she heard "get down on the ground" and several gunshots were heard.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Disabled lives matter as well.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Why did she call the cops and not the paramedics? Or did she just call 911?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:51 pm Why did she call the cops and not the paramedics? Or did she just call 911?
She called 911. I would assume people don't have separate numbers for EMT, police, fire, etc.