[Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: [Health] The Infectious Diseases Thread

Post by Kraken »

Wife is "vegetarian" so that's how I roll most of the time, too. Except for lunch meat at lunch, and all takeout/restaurant meals, and Steak Night whenever she has one of her Zoom things at dinnertime. OK, maybe not most of the time...but a lot of the time.

Since we've been housebound she has developed a taste for potatoes fried in bacon grease, because that's something I'm gonna eat sometimes. "Vegetarians" are powerless against bacon. Bacon is in our DNA.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kraken wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:07 am Wife is "vegetarian" so that's how I roll most of the time, too. Except for lunch meat at lunch, and all takeout/restaurant meals, and Steak Night whenever she has one of her Zoom things at dinnertime. OK, maybe not most of the time...but a lot of the time.

Since we've been housebound she has developed a taste for potatoes fried in bacon grease, because that's something I'm gonna eat sometimes. "Vegetarians" are powerless against bacon. Bacon is in our DNA.
that is 0%, not-at-all, please-stop-callilng-yourself-that-ian.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:12 am
Kraken wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:07 am Wife is "vegetarian" so that's how I roll most of the time, too. Except for lunch meat at lunch, and all takeout/restaurant meals, and Steak Night whenever she has one of her Zoom things at dinnertime. OK, maybe not most of the time...but a lot of the time.

that is ... not vegetarian. like, 0%.
I eat meatless dinners 5-6 nights a week, so I'm claiming 20% vegetarian. Wife is a pescebaconvegetarian. I''m trying to convince her that chicken is a vegetable. :wink:
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:47 pmI think that "Impossible" and "Beyond Beef" are opening people up to the idea that meatless can be good, but if you really want to get people to switch to a meatless diet, you need to stop comparing meat proteins to non-meat proteins. I hate going to a restaurant and the meatless options are all faux chicken or faux beef. Just let the ingredients be themselves!
I believe the faux meats are there to get sworn meat-eaters and recent vegetarian converts something. Those of us who've been vegetarian for a long time (including no bacon-soaked taters) have no real meat "craving" to satisfy. Once in a blue moon I get a desire for a nice fatty burger and fries, but the feeling passes and doesn't linger. I'd much rather put together a curried couscous with veggies, cashews, and eggs. It's easily become a family favorite.

Back on-topic... I hate that every time I wake up with a little sinus twinge I have to wonder "Is this it?"
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Some of my favorite proteins used to be vegetarians so it's transitive, right? Making breakfast now, applewood-smoked belly of vegan animal with potatoes, banana peppers and onion fried in the fat of said animal.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paingod wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:54 am curried couscous with veggies, cashews, and eggs. It's easily become a family favorite.
Recipe?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:56 am Some of my favorite proteins used to be vegetarians so it's transitive, right? Making breakfast now, applewood-smoked belly of vegan animal with potatoes, banana peppers and onion fried in the fat of said animal.
Pigs are often fed meat, including re-processed pig carcasses. Does that make you a transitive cannibal?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

soulbringer wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:41 am
stessier wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:20 am SC reported only ~730 positive tests yesterday - the lowest since early June. People are seeing this as a win (we hit a high of 2200 cases in July). The thing is, we only tested 3600 people (vs a high of 11,000 in July) and the positivity rate was 19.6% (vs. 22% in July). We so need a better testing plan.
Agree we need a much much much better response. McMaster is a tool. Dr. Bell has her hands tied and a lot of people in this state just dont give a shit. Im a RN on a Covid unit in one of the largest hospital systems in the state. I just got out of the hospital Sunday after a 5 day stay of Covid + nonsense. Thank god for Plasma and Remdesivir. Its ugly out there, we really need to get with the program. Sorry for rambling, my brain fog is still terrible.
Are you seeing a big difference in the people treated with Remdesivir? If nothing else that at least brings some hope there's some form of treatment that might help.

I hope your recovery goes well, I used to read the Covid19Positive subreddit, but it got depressing seeing how many people were dealing with multiple waves of sickness -- Sick, better, More sick, better, Holy shit sick/hospital. Others? Sniffles and done, or didn't even show symptoms. Such a strange fucking virus.
No.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:16 am
Paingod wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:54 am curried couscous with veggies, cashews, and eggs. It's easily become a family favorite.
Recipe?
My wife says I write too much. This recipe was created by "winging it" and adjusting as I made different versions. It's turned out pretty good. I like the way the nuts keep their firmness and lend a nice texture change while eating. This is also a pretty low-salt version. My wife is very salt-adverse, but it's still needed to help bring out flavors.
Spoiler:
Curried Couscous - Vegan or Vegetarian
This recipe creates a large quantity of curried couscous that can feed a family of 4 and have leftovers for a few servings. This takes 30-45 minutes to make and can be adjusted easily to preference.

Base Ingredients
4.5+ cups of water
3 cups of couscous
2.5 tablespoons of curry powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
1/2 tablespoon granulated garlic
1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
1/3 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

Optional; add as many as desired to increase complexity
12oz bag of frozen mixed veggies (corn, carrots, peas, green beans)
1 cup frozen corn
3/4 cup chopped walnuts or cashews
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 medium yellow onion, diced/sautéed
3 eggs (scrambled, finely broken apart)

Tools
6qt sauté pan, large spatula, 9” frying pan (optional, for eggs), small bowl

Prep
Set out all ingredients. Add 4.5 cups water to 6qt sauté pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/3 tablespoon salt. Place over high heat to boil.

While water is heating:
  • Mix dry seasonings together in small bowl to create uniform mix.
  • Optional: Dice onion, set aside raw for stronger flavor or sauté in light coating of olive oil as desired
  • Optional: Cook and scramble the 3 eggs in the 9” frying pan using a light coat of olive oil, dash of salt/pepper/granulated garlic to season them. Using spatula, chop eggs into small (½ inch or smaller) pieces.
When water is at a full rolling boil, turn off heat and add 3 cups couscous. Gently swirl pan until couscous is evenly spread across bottom and immediately cover to retain steam. Let sit for 5 minutes. The couscous will absorb the water during this time and should not be disturbed.

After 5 minutes, uncover pan and return to medium heat. Spread dry seasoning mix evenly over the surface of the couscous. Using the large spatula, gently fold and spread the couscous around in the pan until it achieves a uniform orange/yellow appearance with no white. Be sure to fold in couscous from the bottom and edges of the pan. This may take a few minutes. Roughly overworking the couscous can result in a “mash” that is less appetizing.

Once the color of the couscous base is uniform, add all other optional ingredients as desired. You may need to add a little more salt (to preference and depending on how many extra ingredients were added). Continue cooking on a medium heat and gently fold ingredients into the couscous base. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and ¼ cup of water to prevent mixture from sticking to pan or drying out too much. Keep folding until ingredients are fully and evenly mixed in. If it's too dry, add another ¼ cup of water while mixing.

Cover and heat on medium for a minute, then uncover and fold/stir the couscous to prevent it from burning to the bottom of the pan. Some browning is fine. Repeat until the frozen ingredients are completely heated and then serve.
Black Lives Matter

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Thanks! I'll be saving that recipe to try at some point. My wife has gestational diabetes, unfortunately, so the carb count of the couscous means we might have to wait a while before we get around to it.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

FishPants wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:49 am
stessier wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:20 am SC reported only ~730 positive tests yesterday - the lowest since early June. People are seeing this as a win (we hit a high of 2200 cases in July). The thing is, we only tested 3600 people (vs a high of 11,000 in July) and the positivity rate was 19.6% (vs. 22% in July). We so need a better testing plan.
Agree we need a much much much better response. McMaster is a tool. Dr. Bell has her hands tied and a lot of people in this state just dont give a shit. Im a RN on a Covid unit in one of the largest hospital systems in the state. I just got out of the hospital Sunday after a 5 day stay of Covid + nonsense. Thank god for Plasma and Remdesivir. Its ugly out there, we really need to get with the program. Sorry for rambling, my brain fog is still terrible.
Are you seeing a big difference in the people treated with Remdesivir? If nothing else that at least brings some hope there's some form of treatment that might help.

I hope your recovery goes well, I used to read the Covid19Positive subreddit, but it got depressing seeing how many people were dealing with multiple waves of sickness -- Sick, better, More sick, better, Holy shit sick/hospital. Others? Sniffles and done, or didn't even show symptoms. Such a strange fucking virus.
There is a lot of study going on as to why the symptoms vary so much in people and what makes one person more/less likely to have severe symptoms. That's one thing, because this is a full blown pandemic, there is so much scientific study going on it's unbelievable. Which is good, I think we are at a better place now than the people of a 100 years ago.
Black Lives Matter
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

FishPants wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:49 am

Not as big of a difference as I would like to see. Without going into super detail Remdesivir works by infiltrating the virus cells and preventing them from replicating but it still relies on your immune system to knock it out. If you got a good immune system chances are you probably didnt need to be hospitalized and if not then while Remdesivir will help slow the virus replication its not actually boosting your immune system but it will buy you time for hopefully your immune system to do its job. Also people with kidney disease cant get Remdesivir which takes out a large chunk of people.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We got some good news today. Our hospital hit the lowest number of in-house covid patients in months, and our positivity rate has dropped to 7% which is another low. They credit it to the state-wide mandatory mask policy, improvements in treatment, and recent CDC guidelines that allow the release of patients with no symptoms.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:47 am our positivity rate has dropped to 7% which is another low. T
I haven't checked on ours in a while. The goal when last I checked was to push for 2% with 4% being the sort of "head above water" mark. We've had a lot more cases in total since then but now we're on this unreasonable phase of "Everybody who wants to be tested should get tested. You. Go get tested." which I would think from where we are, both would dilute the % positive goals and hurt the goal of reliable quick turn around for tracing purposes. I'm hoping my grump toward the everyone get tested campaign and our lack of ability to support it, I hope I'm wrong.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:47 am We got some good news today. Our hospital hit the lowest number of in-house covid patients in months, and our positivity rate has dropped to 7% which is another low. They credit it to the state-wide mandatory mask policy, improvements in treatment, and recent CDC guidelines that allow the release of patients with no symptoms.
wish that were the case all over NC: 1,972 new NC Coronaviruse cases are highest in two weeks
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

gene therapy shows promising initial results against HSV-1

(and by 'initial', i mean 'years in the making')
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:47 am
Jeff V wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:56 am Some of my favorite proteins used to be vegetarians so it's transitive, right? Making breakfast now, applewood-smoked belly of vegan animal with potatoes, banana peppers and onion fried in the fat of said animal.
Pigs are often fed meat, including re-processed pig carcasses. Does that make you a transitive cannibal?
I'm referring to their natural inclination. Can't be responsible for what they eat when they aren't eating their natural diet, can I? As long as the bacon stays delicious, it's all good.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:07 pm
I'm referring to their natural inclination. Can't be responsible for what they eat when they aren't eating their natural diet, can I? As long as the bacon stays delicious, it's all good.
Wild pigs are omnivores.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:10 pm Wild pigs are omnivores.
As am I! Are you calling me a pig? :o
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:39 pm
I think he was just pointing out you were incorrect regarding a pig's natural inclination. That was my interpretation anyway.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:52 pm
Jeff V wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:39 pm
I think he was just pointing out you were incorrect regarding a pig's natural inclination. That was my interpretation anyway.
It was just a question, not a denial. :P
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm thinking that would only be the case if you buy your bacon from the likes of Mr Wu or Brick Top.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In another timeline, this would be big news. Now...it's barely a story:
The number of cases in the ongoing Ebola outbreak in western Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has reached 100, a near two-fold increase in a little over five weeks.

This latest outbreak, DRC’s 11th, was declared on 1 June 2020 in Equateur Province. A cluster of cases was initially detected in Mbandaka, the provincial capital. The outbreak has since spread to 11 of the province’s 17 health zones. Of the 100 cases reported so far, 96 are confirmed and four are probable. Forty-three people have lost their lives.
To be clear, this should be big news - and concerning.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

President Obama mentioned it in his Democratic National Convention remarks. I don't know what the US would become if Ebola also became a pandemic.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

State mandate: If you travel outside the state to anywhere but these 5 approved states you need to self-quarantine for 14 days.

Tech that shows up this morning for an install of a new phone system: I went to an unapproved state early last week, but I'm an essential worker and don't need to quarantine. I'm feeling fine and have no symptoms. They even let me into a nursing home last week to work on the system there.

Me: That's not really how any of this works. I'm not letting you in. I'll just do this myself.

Tech: I suppose it's good to get your hands dirty sometimes.

This guy was on site to install phones as part of the package we got with the system. I tend not to do work we pay people for, but my ass is attached to the deadline on the system's functionality so... :hawk:
Black Lives Matter

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My wife had routine tests at work last Thursday. Today she found out that the friend who recruited her there tested positive. And she was the nurse who had been swabbing all of the residents. :shock: In the past week, several other employees and residents my wife wasn't responsible for tested positive. She last saw this friend on Friday (they did not work the same shift). She's starting to panic a bit now and wondering if a headache she had earlier is related.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

In her defense, she’s married to you and has two kids.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:55 pm In her defense, she’s married to you and has two kids.
I would assume she could tell that typical sort of headache from an abnormal one.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:28 am Science Mag
Africa is free of the wild virus, but it too is mired in a battle against vaccine-derived virus, and there’s a strong risk of “explosive growth” on the continent, says ICL’s Isobel Blake. So far this year, Africa has reported 133 type 2 cases in 14 countries, up from 47 at this time last year. Chad alone recorded 23 cases in 1 week in June and now has 42 cases.
Dawn
Africa was declared free of wild polio on Tuesday by the independent Africa Regional Certification Commission (ARCC) for Polio Eradication.

Certification of the milestone, announced during a World Health Organisation (WHO) videoconference, means all 47 countries in the WHO's Africa region have eradicated the viral disease that can cause irreversible paralysis.

The last case in Africa was recorded four years ago in northeast Nigeria.
NPR
The World Health Organization says the campaign has prevented an estimated 1.8 million cases of paralysis in children and saved approximately 180,000 lives. Moeti said the eradication is a symbol of what is possible when the world works together. "It is a vivid reminder that vaccines work and that the collective actions of communities, governments and partners can bring about tremendous changes," Moeti said during a celebration held over Zoom.
To combat vaccine-derived polio outbreaks, the WHO has been deploying a rapid response team in Africa since last fall.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
Denton County health officials have reported the county's second and third human cases of the West Nile virus this year. The first case was confirmed on Monday.

Both Denton residents were diagnosed with the West Nile Neuroinvasive Disease.
The city of Denton also entered into Risk Level 5 Thursday, indicating that the probability of a person contracting a mosquito-borne disease like West Nile Virus is high.
At Risk Level 5, the city will continue to conduct routine surveys of adult mosquitoes, which will be identified to species level and screened for the presence of viruses.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Why are you putting peanut butter in my chocolate?
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I've been told today that Thai spicy levels of heat in my food will ward off the virus, and that's how Thailand's numbers are low. My nose is running, my eyes are watering, and I now have a huge thirst after that plate of Som Tam. :mrgreen: I look sick. lol Just waiting for it to get to my stomach. :doh:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:37 pm Texas
Denton County health officials have reported the county's second and third human cases of the West Nile virus this year. The first case was confirmed on Monday.

Both Denton residents were diagnosed with the West Nile Neuroinvasive Disease.
The city of Denton also entered into Risk Level 5 Thursday, indicating that the probability of a person contracting a mosquito-borne disease like West Nile Virus is high.
At Risk Level 5, the city will continue to conduct routine surveys of adult mosquitoes, which will be identified to species level and screened for the presence of viruses.
It's a good thing the mosquitos are still asleep when I run in the morning!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So, I guess the newest trend for school kids is one week of going to school, somebody tests positive, and two weeks of staying at home in quarantine, then repeat. At least that seems to be the case locally.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:36 am So, I guess the newest trend for school kids is one week of going to school, somebody tests positive, and two weeks of staying at home in quarantine, then repeat. At least that seems to be the case locally.
My kids first day in person is tomorrow. it's... exciting.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its like Russian roulette
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:53 am
dbt1949 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:36 am So, I guess the newest trend for school kids is one week of going to school, somebody tests positive, and two weeks of staying at home in quarantine, then repeat. At least that seems to be the case locally.
My kids first day in person is tomorrow. it's... exciting.
My kid had his first day back today. After they shut down for 2 weeks because a teacher was positive.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Our oldest started remote learning last week. It's not great, but that's at least as much the fault of his school as it is the remote elements of it. Actually, having my wife be there for all of his remote learning is teaching us about some of the shortfalls of his school. May be time to start looking for a new school . . . .

The twins start full remote after Labor Day. I've already scheduled the week off of work so that I can be the IT department and fully engaged for that first week.