[Movie] Wonder Woman 1984

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Z-Corn

Re: [Movie] Wonder Woman 1984

Post by Z-Corn »

President Gerald R. Ford opened my favorite mall. Well, he was just a Congressman at the time but he went on to be the greatest President the country has known.

My wife's cousin was the manager of Aladdin's Castle and used to give her big bags of tokens. If I'd known that I would have married her in Grade 8.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I love old mall videos. The clothes and hairstyles always get me. Here is Hamilton Place 1987. The fountain only lasted about 10 years before it was replaced wit ha kid play area.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So who is dressing up in 80s clothes to go see this?....Thin tie, parachute pants, tons of zippers, vans shoes. I wonder if she'll run into a young Star Lord?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Someone just pointed out that the title track came out in 1986, not 1984. ;)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

In our universe, it came out at 1986. In DC Extended Universe, it came out more than 2 years earlier than that. :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

New trailer. I'm saving it to watch with the family later.

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Because nothing says evil supervillain like...Kristen Wiig.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That trailer makes two sentences form in my noggin...

Ride the lightning.

and

Spank the kitty.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, not too sure about that casting choice. To be honest, not to sure about the villain choice itself. There’s a wealth of other great villains to choose from. Going with catwoman light seems kind of uninspired.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:32 pm Yeah, not too sure about that casting choice. To be honest, not to sure about the villain choice itself. There’s a wealth of other great villains to choose from. Going with catwoman light seems kind of uninspired.
It's not catwoman. It's a gender-swapped Chester Cheetah.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Once the cocaine kicks in, it will all make sense.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Our big mall in the center of our city hasn't been the same since Eaton's (What used to be one of the major department stores in Canada) went bankrupt in the late 90's. They used to be the main anchor store, and the mall's had trouble attracting tenants ever since. It's had to sort of repurpose itself by leasing out space to use as office space, such as a call centre, and one of the saving graces has been a second-run theatre. Beyond that, the mall is super seedy, grungyand showing its age in many areas, including the elevators which tend to squeak when you're in them, and the whole place has a creepy vibe.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So that's where they are going to show Wonder Woman?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No, that’s where he’s moved his hunting grounds. At least that’s what I got out of his post.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, this thread did derail into a mall discussion previously.

As to Cheetah... I don't know. I can see why they used her. If you do Batman films, you have to have the Joker eventually. If you do Wonder Woman, you've got to have Cheetah. I have no idea if it will work, but the first WW makes me give Jenkins the benefit of the doubt.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:27 pm Well, this thread did derail into a mall discussion previously.

As to Cheetah... I don't know. I can see why they used her. If you do Batman films, you have to have the Joker eventually. If you do Wonder Woman, you've got to have Cheetah. I have no idea if it will work, but the first WW makes me give Jenkins the benefit of the doubt.
It's definitely a different role for Wiig than we've seen before, but she's pretty talented in general, so if we trust Jenkins, you figure that Wiig will probably work out ok.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok Ill say what others wont....isn't she a little old to be playing a lithe agile super villain? I mean she is 47. I creak and hurt all over. I cant immerse myself in that. I remember thinking Pfeiffer was too old for Catwoman. Of course I was young then and anyone much older than me was old...looking back she was the best. But still.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wonder Woman could take the whole Cats cast.

I'm meh about the trailer but will probably rent the movie in a couple of years, as I do most superhero movies.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Not doing it for me at all.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:50 pm Ok Ill say what others wont....isn't she a little old to be playing a lithe agile super villain? I mean she is 47. I creak and hurt all over. I cant immerse myself in that. I remember thinking Pfeiffer was too old for Catwoman. Of course I was young then and anyone much older than me was old...looking back she was the best. But still.
47 isn't that old if you stay in shape (and are lucky enough to avoid medical problems that decide the issue for you.) You don't have to look too hard to find soldiers who complete special operations training in their 40s, or even in their 50s. That's something most 20-somethings can't pull off.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

*cough* Stunt doubles *cough*
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Obviously. But that doesn't mean it's unbelievable for a 47-year-old to be 'lithe' and 'agile', the point I'm arguing against.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk would never have made that comment against a 47 year old male actor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok George Clooney was too old for Batman and he was just 36.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:16 pm Ok George Clooney was too old for Batman and he was just 36.
That makes Michael Keaton too old for Batman, too.
Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

How about Iron Man?
James Bond?
raydude

Post by raydude »

Ethan Hunt
stessier

Post by stessier »

raydude wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:43 pmEthan Hunt
Pete Mitchell
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bond did get too old. Hunt and Ironman are old but they dont come across as old.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:27 pm Well, this thread did derail into a mall discussion previously.
Yeah, I didn't even realize there was more than one page to the thread. In my defense, I was replying in discussion to the first page. I only realized my error after I'd hit submit. Whoops!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
raydude

Post by raydude »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:57 pm Bond did get too old. Hunt and Ironman are old but they dont come across as old.
Ah, I think we're getting to the heart of the matter. You just disagree with the casting choice, correct? You feel that Kristin Wiig is not a good choice because you feel she can't exude the youthful agility and litheness of Cheetah. As opposed to say, Carrie Anne Moss or Vivica Fox.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fox couldn't. Not sure on Moss these days. But being as this character will be mostly CG in her full form it could be a non thing. It would probably take a 20 year old gumnist to pull off the human side to make me believe it so again guess it wont matter.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hepcat wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:32 pm Yeah, not too sure about that casting choice. To be honest, not to sure about the villain choice itself. There’s a wealth of other great villains to choose from. Going with catwoman light seems kind of uninspired.
Cheetah is WW's classic opponent and she'd easily kick Catwoman's ass - she's anything but Catwoman light. I think the trailer looked great. I loved the first WW and was happily surprised by how well Gadot pulled it off. I am very much looking forward to this and am saddened that I won't be seeing it in the theaters :(
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:50 pm Ok Ill say what others wont....isn't she a little old to be playing a lithe agile super villain? I mean she is 47. I creak and hurt all over. I cant immerse myself in that. I remember thinking Pfeiffer was too old for Catwoman. Of course I was young then and anyone much older than me was old...looking back she was the best. But still.
If you have trouble with her age, then you are really going to have trouble with her being turned into a super powered cat woman hybrid. Seriously, don't you think that if you get some sort of super power, the age thing isn't going to really matter? You're ignoring the whole super power thing :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Grifman wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:29 pm
Cheetah is WW's classic opponent and she'd easily kick Catwoman's ass - she's anything but Catwoman light. I think the trailer looked great. I loved the first WW and was happily surprised by how well Gadot pulled it off. I am very much looking forward to this and am saddened that I won't be seeing it in the theaters :(
I know who the character is, and I’m well aware of her long history with WW (although she’s not a villain I’d consider WW’s main arch villain...I’d say she shares that role with Ares and Circe). I just find her to be too cliche and unoriginal. I would have preferred someone a little more top shelf this time around.

From the trailer it appears we’re getting CW level CGI to boot.

Ah well, maybe in the NEXT one they’ll take my advice and go with Egg Fu.
Last edited by hepcat on Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Wonder Woman's real foe is the patriarchy. Call me when we get there.

(I assume Patriarchy will be played by a wheezing, red-faced Rush Limbaugh. I will buy 1,000 tickets if he is forced to endure his own stunts.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It was the patriarchy that created her. And a kinky one at that.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id love to see an appearance from Zatanna or maybe Zat and a young Bat.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Marvel set a new standard for villains with Killmonger and Thanos. Wonder Woman's (the first film) biggest criticism was that the villain just ended up being a CGI punching bag with obscure motivations. They probably wanted to stay far, far away from gods as enemies. It's much easier to work with a human being (at least at the beginning.)
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:00 pm It was the patriarchy that created her. And a kinky one at that.
Gloria Steinem saved Wonder Woman.

Wikipedia:
Feminist activist Gloria Steinem, who grew up reading Wonder Woman comics, was a key player in the restoration of Wonder Woman's powers and traditional costume, which were restored in issue #204 (January–February 1973). Steinem, offended that the most famous female superhero had been depowered, had placed Wonder Woman (in costume) on the cover of the first issue of the American feminist magazine Ms. (1972) – Warner Communications, DC Comics' owner, was an investor – which also contained an appreciative essay about the character.

Wonder Woman also appeared on the cover of the July–August 1997 issue of Ms. In the latter example, the retrospective issue depicts an illustrated version of the modernized version of Wonder Woman reading a copy of the original Ms. magazine, its cover showing the Golden Age representation of the character. As well, magazine covers formed a collage of Wonder Woman on the cover of the 35th anniversary issue of Ms. magazine in 2007.

Steinem once wrote:

"Wonder Woman's family of Amazons on Paradise Island, her band of college girls in America, and her efforts to save individual women are all welcome examples of women working together and caring about each other's welfare. The idea of such cooperation may not seem particularly revolutionary to the male reader. Men are routinely depicted as working well together, but women know how rare and therefore exhilarating the idea of sisterhood really is. Wonder Woman's mother, Queen Hippolyte, offers yet another welcome example to young girls in search of a strong identity. Queen Hippolyte founds nations, wages war to protect Paradise Island, and sends her daughter off to fight the forces of evil in the world... Wonder Woman symbolizes many of the values of the women's culture that feminists are now trying to introduce into the mainstream: strength and self-reliance for women; sisterhood and mutual support among women; peacefulness and esteem for human life; a diminishment both of "masculine" aggression and of the belief that violence is the only way of solving conflicts."