[Poll] Do you personally know someone who has Covid-19?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Do you know someone who has tested positive for Covid-19

Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes: 134

Jeff V

Re: [Poll] Do you personally know someone who has Covid-19?

Post by Jeff V »

I suppose so.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Nephew just tested positive yesterday. Currently in quarantine with whole fam now of course.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my son's mother got it - she works at a government job where she has to deal with a high-risk segment of society face-to-face. was in the ICU for ten days, and 30 days later has heart issues that the doctor has classified as a 'long COVD' recovery.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:06 am a 'long COVD' recovery.
...and because this disease is only 9 months old, nobody knows what that means.

Sorry to hear your news.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm still a no. I guess I don't know enough people.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:18 pm I'm still a no. I guess I don't know enough people.
I was dropping by the thread to say the same thing.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Three security guards of my apartment complex tested positive for COVID-19. One that I had minor contact with.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Madmarcus wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:44 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:18 pm I'm still a no. I guess I don't know enough people.
I was dropping by the thread to say the same thing.
Same.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

To add to my comment. I know a ton of Republicans who are very much against the idea of lockdowns. But they are mostly community minded. They say masks are overrated but they go ahead and wear them. They want to be allowed to go out to in the abstract but mostly are responsible about it and aren't going out even when they can.

I'm a little surprised that none of them have contracted it but only a little.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Know my first fatality. A friend's dad died last night from it.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Despite having some friends who have decided "They aren't going to let COVID ruin their lives." and are living it up every night.....I'm still a no. Just lucky, I guess.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Found out this afternoon that two neighbors that I occasionally interact with (always outside and usually at a +6’) and who’s dogs I sometimes pet have Covid. It seems pretty unlikely I would’ve gotten it from them and I’m feeling fine, but since my work is all back in the office my supervisor wants me to work from home and get tested. And tomorrow for work I was going to be on boat fishing most of the day.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just have them tie an innertube to the back.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I was a no until yesterday. Wife's uncle got it, hospitalized.

Fortunately he's doing significantly better today. Not out of the hospital yet, but hopefully he'll be fine.

This was particularly unfortunate timing though as his daughter died from cancer just last week (we found out about the cancer about a month ago and that she had only a few weeks to live). Funeral was going to be Saturday. Postponed indefinitely now with him in the hospital and his girlfriend and ex-wife (ex-wife is dead child's mom) in quarantine.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:59 pm And tomorrow for work I was going to be on boat fishing most of the day. Image
I imagine they had great difficulty filling your spot.
Which of the nearly whole office of volunteers do we take??? :)

Hopefully, you either didn't get it or if you did, you're the sort with little/no effect from it.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

and last night someone in my neighborhood passed away from it. His daughter and my daughter are good friends, this sucks, he was only a few years older than me.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Just found out my niece has Covid. She's been sick for the last few days and test results were positive for it. She's a teacher in Texas and they had reopened the schools. She said she had 14 students in class, about half as usual. Now she and three of her students are out of school due to being infected. Classes are continuing with a substitute taking over her class for now. She's young enough to not be in the higher risk categories and in relatively good health overall. The thing that worries me is that she is sick, not just symptomatic. She's not hospitalized though, it isn't that bad so far but it's only been a few days. Her husband and kids have tested negative to this point but who knows what will happen?

Thanks to everyone in a rush to reopen, life would be boring without people like you! :grund:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm sorry to hear it, gom. Best wishes to her and your family.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Well, I just found out my sister has it, and it's attacking her lungs pretty seriously. :(
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hope she'll be OK -- please let us know.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My sister, who's recovering from cancer surgery, Is now isolating in her apartment after learning that two residents in her building tested positive. Covid would very likely kill her, so she has severed all but the most critical contacts.
dfs

Post by dfs »

3 at work and my Brother-in-law and 2 guys I spend time with at a non-profit and the father of a boy who dated my youngest for a while. Those are the locals that I know ftf. When I start getting into looser and more distant connections the numbers just go up.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just found out that my cousin (son of my uncle who passed from COVID) and his daughter both have it. He teaches training classes for the Army Reserve, and all 6 of the people in his class last week tested positive.

Cousin’s wife has been doing experimental cancer treatments for a couple years now and is extremely immunocompromised. He is her primary caregiver, so she has to move in with her mother for a few weeks. Shitty situation all around.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Brian

Post by Brian »

My wife's brother was just confirmed with a case.

To be honest, it's very surprising that he has gone this long without catching it seeing as how he's in the state prison up in North Dakota. Of course, ND didn't really see a surge until just recently but within the close confinement of the prison system seemed like he would have contracted sooner.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Two extended family members died from it. Three others I know have tested positive but recovered ok. At least one friend also had it.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I found out tonight that I have two family members sick with COVID. My uncle is in the hospital, and I have an aunt that tested positive.

This led to a long conversation with my mom, who finally seems to be taking this seriously. She’s on board with the holidays not happening this year.
disarm

Post by disarm »

My mom (in southern Indiana) tested positive 12 days ago, but she's been completely asymptomatic the whole time. My 91yo grandfather lives in an assisted living facility and needed someone to talk him to a doctor appointment, so my mom decided to screen herself before picking him up out of an abundance of caution... surprise, she has COVID! Her and my stepfather have been isolating at home since they found out, but neither has shown symptoms so far. Apparently, they'll both be going back to work soon.

I had my own potential exposure through work last week, but everything is fine so far at eight days out. A surgery center patient with a history of severe COPD with chronic cough and home oxygen use screened negative six days prior to surgery. He showed up for his procedure with labored breathing and a cough that he claimed was his baseline, but it was concerning enough that we cancelled his surgery and sent him home. He showed up at a hospital two days later with worsening symptoms and tested positive. This means that he was negative on his preop screen, but contracted the virus and was advanced enough to test positive only eight days later. Clearly, he didn't isolate between his preop screening and surgery day, but I'm pretty certain he's not the first to ingore those instructions.

Fortunately, everyone around him that day are fine so far thanks to our standard precautions, but it's the most risky exposure I've had to date because it was unknown. I've taken care of (and intubated) more COVID positive pts than I can count, but those were different because we all knew and took more extreme precautions. This one had me a bit more worried, but all is good so far and I should be pretty much outside the window of getting sick at this point. Should be...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My mom just tested positive. She's been sick for a week and finally took the test. 100 fever, lost smell and taste. Breathing is OK.

I mentioned in another thread that they're in Tennessee and had some work done on the house few weeks ago. The workers have been in and out the whole time and finished last week. In photos they weren't wearing masks so I told my parents to make them wear masks. They didn't, I guess. Sigh, parents.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was walking out of the gym yesterday day and I took off my mask as I headed to my car...only to pass by someone else not wearing a mask who was audibly wheezing. We came with 3 feet of each other, but they were turned away from me. Still, I'm now paranoid I'm about to get it. I'm honestly surprised I haven't already though, to be honest. It seems like its inevitable at this point. :(
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Michelle just started her new job at the hospital on Monday. Apparently they currently have 17 people out due to COVID.

I figure it is just a matter of time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stessier

Post by stessier »

My brother said he had a coworker check into the hospital in Elkhart, IN with it and they said he was lucky to get in. The first hospital he went to was already closed because it was full and the one he got into anticipated closing later in the day for being full.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I didn't, but since he was public about it I can say that RM9 ruined it. :D

EDIT: Add 2 more.

The circle of people I can trust during a zombie uprising has diminished significantly.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:I didn't, but since he was public about it I can say that RM9 ruined it. :D

EDIT: Add 2 more.

The circle of people I can trust during a zombie uprising has diminished significantly.
You can be sure in a zombie uprising, I am not equipped to handle that problem swiftly. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Finally have to switch to a yes, as a good friend of mine who lives in Florida is Covid positive and dealing with some mild symptoms (including his sense of smell and taste going wacko today).
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

My family took its first COVID test this week. My daughter woke up on Monday with a sore throat and a headache, which are apparently "tier 2" symptoms. We took her to take a COVID test on Tuesday. She never had a fever, a cough, or other "tier 1" symptoms, so we were never overly concerned, but anyway the test came back negative on Wednesday.
Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

How does the recovery work with returning to work? Just have to pass two tests?

In the clinic we shut down, three people tested positive. Those three people infected their entire families. That was three weeks ago. The clinic was completely closed for one week, then staffed by alternates from other offices for a week and a half, and now at the end of this week two of those three people who tested positive are back.

That's a three week recovery time for two unrelated people and everyone in their separate families (maybe another 7 people)? I thought COVID was a longer illness than that. Heck, the people who had to quarantine and tested negative were out just a week less. I suppose durations vary from one person to another, but I was surprised to see them back so soon.

I walked by one person's office and he was sniffling. I had to interact with the other briefly but kept distance. Everyone's in masks. Hands washed as soon as I was out of there.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm up to two extended family members who have passed due to COVID, 2 more who had it and recovered, and a friend who had it asymptomatically.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

My office is fully remote. There have been an unusually high number of "Employee X's parent passed away last night" e-mails over the past 2 - 3 weeks. None of them specify COVID, but...I'm kind of wondering. Of course, almost by definition we're talking about fairly old people, so the default mortality rate for that group wouldn't be low, but still.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

A resident at my wife's job came down with it, not her unit though. But a coworker had to go on quarantine after his wife was positive, and she has been interacting with him regularly until he found out. Hopefully another bullet dodged.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My mom tested positive a week ago and appears to be on the mend but not out of the woods just yet.

Also in past week, several work colleagues - many in my building, a kid in my son's class, several friends from the neighborhood, and two of my wife's students (remote). All mostly asymptomatic or mild symptoms but there are definitely a lot more people I know this time around.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT