What are you listening to right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Skinypupy »

A quarantine version of “Tank!”, the Cowboy Bebop theme song. 3...2...1...let’s jam.

After much deliberation, I think this is my favorite TV theme song ever. It very, very narrowly edges out “You Can’t Take the Sky From Me” on sheer catchiness alone.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The new Necrot rips.

freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The new Unleash the Archers dropped today, and the track Legacy is a true stunner. Brittany Slayes, well, slays all over this track, and the massive wall of sound from the guitar, drums, and keyboards after the surprising opening hook you immediately.

Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

New Incantation today. :dance:

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blood Orange - Freetown Sound

enjoyable album. had this come out in the early 90s i would have been all over it.
JCC

Post by JCC »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:26 pm The new Unleash the Archers dropped today, and the track Legacy is a true stunner. Brittany Slayes, well, slays all over this track, and the massive wall of sound from the guitar, drums, and keyboards after the surprising opening hook you immediately.
Indeed it did! I was very excited this morning and listened to it on my walk. I was also taken aback by "Legacy" - which is quite a cool song. I have heard some other blast beat/trance sounding stuff, but definitely enjoyed this sort of version in its more power metal friendly shell. I defintely think the album is good. Time will tell if I think it lives up to or surpasses Apex, but I definitely enjoyed it this morning.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

KMFDM has a new album of dub/reggae remixes. Which may sound strange, but they first experimented with these sounds over 30 years ago. It opens with a version of Light that I really like. (But then, the original track's so great I don't think I've ever heard a bad remix of it, especially Andy Selway's from Rocks.) They're all slickly produced and real departures from the originals--this isn't your typical throwaway industrial remix album. Most of the remixes are of newer tracks though, which I have less of a connection with.

A Dub Against War, on the other hand:

It's amusing to hear one their heaviest anthems (A Drug Against War, 1993) redone this way. It turns a speed metal song more akin to Minstry into a laid back track throbbing with bass, with only a hint of the original beginning around the 04:20 mark.

Listening to this inspired me to revisit the Marco Trentacoste remix from Rocks (2016). It's a little overdone, but I like it. I'm not that familiar with Trentacoste, but there are some 90s-Reznor-esque guitars/effects and layering that really give it a different feel. I don't know if this is just Trentacoste's thing, or he was deliberately going for a tribute to 90s industrial metal. The riffs and passage beginning around 02:25 also really remind me of the Quake 2 soundtrack (coincidentally... Reznor scored the original Quake; he didn't have anything to do with the sequel).

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:07 pm
pr0ner wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:26 pm The new Unleash the Archers dropped today, and the track Legacy is a true stunner. Brittany Slayes, well, slays all over this track, and the massive wall of sound from the guitar, drums, and keyboards after the surprising opening hook you immediately.
Indeed it did! I was very excited this morning and listened to it on my walk. I was also taken aback by "Legacy" - which is quite a cool song. I have heard some other blast beat/trance sounding stuff, but definitely enjoyed this sort of version in its more power metal friendly shell. I defintely think the album is good. Time will tell if I think it lives up to or surpasses Apex, but I definitely enjoyed it this morning.
So I picked this up based on all the glowing praise, and am shocked to find that...I’m actually quite liking it. Especially since it’s a level of ultra-cheese that I never thought would work for me.

I must be getting soft in my old age. ;)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I gave the first few tracks a try and just couldn't get into it. I dig the album cover though. I generally need my power metal with a harsher edge, and my extreme metal with a more melodic one. Their cover of Northwest Passage is great though. I must have saved that to my Spotify playlist when I was investigating them for a potential upcoming concert.

Hard to believe Dead When I Found Her's electro-industrial was produced in the last decade, and not 30 years ago in Vancouver. I posted one of their songs a long time ago (the amazing New Drugs), but I've started to delve deeper into their catalogue. (Really the one-man project of Michael Arthur Holloway.) Each track below reminds me of a different 80s/90s era of Skinny Puppy/Front Line Assembly; a little poppier. Some might consider DWIFH to be a rip-off, but there's very little music like this being created anymore and it's extremely high quality.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:16 pm
JCC wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:07 pm
So I picked this up based on all the glowing praise, and am shocked to find that...I’m actually quite liking it. Especially since it’s a level of ultra-cheese that I never thought would work for me.

I must be getting soft in my old age. ;)
Speaking of ultra cheese, their new music video dropped today, and it's so absurd.

Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:38 pm Hard to believe Dead When I Found Her's electro-industrial was produced in the last decade, and not 30 years ago in Vancouver. I posted one of their songs a long time ago (the amazing New Drugs), but I've started to delve deeper into their catalogue. (Really the one-man project of Michael Arthur Holloway.) Each track below reminds me of a different 80s/90s era of Skinny Puppy/Front Line Assembly; a little poppier. Some might consider DWIFH to be a rip-off, but there's very little music like this being created anymore and it's extremely high quality.
When DWIFH is on, they're amazing. That said, I find them to be split about 50/50 between amazing old-school'ish industrial and just flat-out boring.

The "Eyes on Backwards" album seems to be the most consistent. I love "Tantrums"

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, I think I got bored the first time I tried to listen deeper, but this time I found some tracks that really clicked with me.

Tantrum sounds more like a FLA track to me. Not complaining, just commenting lol. The others remind me more of SP.

And if you were the one who recommended Aquilus to me, thanks! Finally checked them out last night, some really stunning stuff.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:29 pm And if you were the one who recommended Aquilus to me, thanks! Finally checked them out last night, some really stunning stuff.
Yay!! "Griseus" is an absolutely incredible album. One of my favorites that I'd recommend to anyone.

Rumor is that he's supposed to be releasing a new double album this year, but it's been a few months since I've seen an update.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

I see your Tank! and raise you "The Real Folk Blues."

I still listen to the OST from time to time
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sudy wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:23 am KMFDM has a new album of dub/reggae remixes.
say no more, i'm on it

(_UAIOE_ is one of their best albums and it's like, half reggae. also think their work with Adrian Sherwood in the 80s is great:

)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

xwraith wrote:I see your Tank! and raise you "The Real Folk Blues."

I still listen to the OST from time to time
The Cowboy Bebop soundtracks are all on Spotify now so they're being played a bunch.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:25 pm
Sudy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:38 pm Hard to believe Dead When I Found Her's electro-industrial was produced in the last decade, and not 30 years ago in Vancouver. I posted one of their songs a long time ago (the amazing New Drugs), but I've started to delve deeper into their catalogue. (Really the one-man project of Michael Arthur Holloway.) Each track below reminds me of a different 80s/90s era of Skinny Puppy/Front Line Assembly; a little poppier. Some might consider DWIFH to be a rip-off, but there's very little music like this being created anymore and it's extremely high quality.
When DWIFH is on, they're amazing. That said, I find them to be split about 50/50 between amazing old-school'ish industrial and just flat-out boring.
saw them (that guy) open for Front 242 a couple years ago. found them (that guy) very blah, but this live was fun:

Last edited by hitbyambulance on Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:08 pm
Sudy wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:23 am KMFDM has a new album of dub/reggae remixes.
say no more, i'm on it

(_UAIOE_ is one of their best albums and it's like, half reggae. also think their work with Adrian Sherwood in the 80s is great:
Oh man, coming back to KMFDM now as an adult, I think UAIOE is probably my favourite album of theirs. It's such an outlier, but it's so catchy when you acclimatize to it.

freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Enlarge Image

Nada Surf -Never Not Together
pretty good, no surprise there
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

OOIOO - nijimusi
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Viviankrist - Cross Modulation - Bootleg Remixes

electronic music project of former Gallhammer bassist Vivian Slaughter (Eri Isaka) - not familiar with the originals on here, but i saw Robert Hampson and Justin Broadrick had remixes on this and needed to hear those ..

in true Japan style, a somewhat eccentric lineup:

1: Behind Mirror | Behind Glass – Tucan (Superorganism)
2: Blue Iron | Iron Flesh Reshape – JK FLESH (Justin Broadrick / Godflesh)
3: Midnight Sun | Kaelike – rLr (Richard Russell / XL Recordings)
4: Nails | Witch's Mist – Viviankrist
5: Out of Body | Hallucination – Concierto de la Familia (Yuko Araki & Naoto Araki)
6: Midnight Sun | Modular Sun – Mixhell (Laima Leyton & Iggor Cavalera)
7: Tear | IM NORDEN – Robert Hampson (CHASM / Loop)
8: Blue Iron | Melmetallic Joseph Conrad Void – Maniac (Skitliv / Sehnsucht / Mayhem)
9: Insects | Remember When – Andrew Liles (Nurse with Wound / Current 93)
10: Eleventh | Paranoid Nigredo – Adam Richardson (11PARANOIAS / Ramesses)
11: Midnight Sun | 555 – Ryan Lipynsky (Unearthly Trance)
12: Blue Iron | Blue Iron Black Metal – Chris Naughton (Winterfylleth / Atavist)
13: Midnight Sun | Midnight Oil – Tic Zogson (Dis Merci / FKA Twigs)
14: Tear | Inversion – risaripa (Risa Reaper / Gallhammer)
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Been all about Power Trip today. RIP Riley. :(

xwraith

Post by xwraith »

I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Getting the hankering from some long bouts with Joe Walsh.

JCC

Post by JCC »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:14 pm Been all about Power Trip today. RIP Riley. :(
I am not the biggest Power Trip fan as I prefer less hardcore in my thrash, but I certainly liked the song "Hornet's Nest". I was certainly sorry to read about him dying even though I might prefer them with a different vocalist. He was way too young.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Something new that is appropriate for the current environment:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

freelunch wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:41 pm Image
Ha! Been listening to this one lately as well...
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I knew the new Enslaved album was going to go in some different directions, but I never expected psychedelic synth pop to be one of them.

That said, I...kinda love it.