Consistently inconsistent reboots

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kelric

Consistently inconsistent reboots

Post by Kelric »

So my system is about seven years old and other than being prone to overheating very easily has worked great the whole time. For the last month or so, however, it turns on and then 10-15 minutes later it crashes and reboots itself no matter what I am doing (nothing, just using a browser, running an intensive game, etc.) and without the cooling fans spooling up to indicate a heat issue. After that reboot it works fine for however long I use it, whether it is an hour or eight hours. For the initial crash it does not matter if I come out of a full shutdown or sleep mode - it crashes no matter what and then works fine. Thoughts?
Anonymous Bosch

Re: Consistently inconsistent reboots

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kelric wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:19 pm So my system is about seven years old and other than being prone to overheating very easily has worked great the whole time. For the last month or so, however, it turns on and then 10-15 minutes later it crashes and reboots itself no matter what I am doing (nothing, just using a browser, running an intensive game, etc.) and without the cooling fans spooling up to indicate a heat issue. After that reboot it works fine for however long I use it, whether it is an hour or eight hours. For the initial crash it does not matter if I come out of a full shutdown or sleep mode - it crashes no matter what and then works fine. Thoughts?
Given all the heat issues you mentioned, have you tried cleaning it with canned air? The following Linus Tech Tips video demonstrates how to do it properly and thoroughly to achieve the best results:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

If a computer crashes after a cold boot, but not after a forced restart - could be a driver that isn't loading properly on the initial boot. It's highly unlikely to be a hardware issue in itself, but an affected driver could be the one controlling the fans. Something to try would be when you first boot up - wait a couple of minutes, and then restart. See if a graceful restart has the same effect as a crash restart (I don't know how the sleep mode is classified in this).

Try to disable fast startup and see if that makes a difference.

You can also go into the Event Viewer and see what kind of error is logged - at least to see if it's complaining specifically about memory, kernel, etc.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kelric wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:19 pmFor the initial crash it does not matter if I come out of a full shutdown or sleep mode - it crashes no matter what and then works fine. Thoughts?
I'd be surprised if this was the case, but I'll offer it as a possibility based on what I saw once - bulging/leaking capacitors on the motherboard. I did numerous re-installs, removing/replacing hardware and the computer would randomly reboot.

Fortunately it should be easy to figure out when you open everything to get the dust out. You could try doing a Google search for your motherboard to see if it's one that is known to have issues (depending on when/where it was made), but I think they'll be easy to see once you know what you're looking for.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Random reboots out of nowhere in my experience indicates a failing power supply or drivers. You can take a look and see if anything updated. If not, I'd take a hard look at the power supply.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

power supply is probably on its way out. but you really should clean out the inside (and check the capacitors, just to make sure)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

FWIW, I had originally replaced the power supply as part of the testing (as that seemed more likely), but even with the new one it was still randomly rebooting. That's when I took a closer look and saw the capacitor issue.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:29 pm
Kelric wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:19 pmFor the initial crash it does not matter if I come out of a full shutdown or sleep mode - it crashes no matter what and then works fine. Thoughts?
I'd be surprised if this was the case, but I'll offer it as a possibility based on what I saw once - bulging/leaking capacitors on the motherboard. I did numerous re-installs, removing/replacing hardware and the computer would randomly reboot.
I've experienced these same issues due to bulging capacitors on a previous motherboard, and that was my first thought based on the description of what's happening. I was honestly surprised it still worked given how bad it looked when I finally looked it over.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i had a system i put together in the summer of 2000 and the computer was experiencing random hard locks in 2002 - just would completely seize up, most often whenever i had a game that utilized 3D accelerated graphics (the card was the first of the nVidia GeForce line- the 256?). brought it into a local computer shop, and they found a few bulgy capacitors on the ASUS motherboard. this was of course when the bootleg capacitor formula scandal was happening:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

i ended up replacing it with a lower-end motherboard, wish i could remember what it was... but that lasted for the rest of the life of the PC. i should have pushed harder for warranty on the ASUS one.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

If you do find damaged or bulging capacitors on your motherboard, it's worth remembering that a competent PC repair service can repair and replace them for you (e.g. here's a Texas-based repair company that specifically mentions capacitor replacement on motherboards as part of their PC repair service). If you're unable to find one locally, you can send in your motherboard to BadCaps.net and have them recap and repair it for you.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

yeah capacitors are totally end-user replaceable. my soldering skills were non-existent back then, but i could do it now.