[Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Re: [Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

Post by hentzau »

A couple of Black Seas brigs that I finished painting this weekend. Next step is to apply rigging and sails. Image
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

I've been there and done that with contrast paints. Enough that I bought some dropper bottles to decant them into, but I've been lazy and haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

Last of the heroes from Journeys into Middle Earth:

hentzau

[Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

Post by hentzau »

Just watched a rigging tutorial for these ships...oy.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

AWS260 wrote:
hentzau wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:07 am Zarathud, per our conversation tonight, here are the brushes I am using.
I picked up these brushes and tried one out today, for just a little bit. My first impression is that it seems to hold so much more paint than the store-brand brushes I have from my FLGS. Much less going back to the palette for more paint. I have no idea why.
Clean them THOROUGHLY. I’ve already ruined a couple because my usual cleaning job left paint deep in the bristles.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hentzau wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:28 am Clean them THOROUGHLY. I’ve already ruined a couple because my usual cleaning job left paint deep in the bristles.
Thanks for the heads up! I just discovered that my wife already owns brush soap. Scented, Sephora-brand brush soap. It smells amazing.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Rigged my first brig. They don’t have instructions for the brig, so I had to look at the frigate instructions and adapt. Took a couple of hours, but I think I can shorten that a lot going forward. Sails next!

Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Lord help me, I would end up smashing things to bits in frustration trying to string that rigging on. It looks fantastic!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow. That's taking it to a whole new level.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Crikey.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Really good reference guide for Contrast Paints.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I was thinking of ordering some of the larger scale D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures, but then I decided that was insanity considering I have boxes upon boxes of unpainted minis in my game collection that I need to work on.

Decided to finish up my Cthulhu Death May Die minis since I've done over half of them.

I really want some contrast paints but have been unable to find the will to spend the money required to get a good selection of colors. I may just buy a bottle or two and see how I like them before going nuts.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:52 pm I was thinking of ordering some of the larger scale D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures, but then I decided that was insanity considering I have boxes upon boxes of unpainted minis in my game collection that I need to work on.

Decided to finish up my Cthulhu Death May Die minis since I've done over half of them.

I really want some contrast paints but have been unable to find the will to spend the money required to get a good selection of colors. I may just buy a bottle or two and see how I like them before going nuts.
If you only get one, get Snakebite Leather. Useable for many different applications. I am also a fan of Wildwood for dark wood. Skeleton bone and Agaros Dunes also get a lot of work out of my sets. As well as Basilicanum Grey.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:52 pm I was thinking of ordering some of the larger scale D&D Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures, but then I decided that was insanity considering I have boxes upon boxes of unpainted minis in my game collection that I need to work on.
It's so much easier to paint the larger scale miniatures, that they're usually painted first in my collection.

I'm waiting for the humidity to go down before sealing my Hydra and my next big miniature project is an undead dragon.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I stumbled across an eBay code, HAPPY25, for $25 off a purchase of $25.01 or more. Only works on some accounts, but worked for me. Wound up getting three pots of Citadel Contrast shipped for $8. :horse:

I went with Snakebite Leather and a black since those seem they would get heavy use, and a yellow for the large scale Hastur mini I'm getting ready to paint.

Think I will swing by my FLGS today and pick up 3-4 more. That should give me a good working base set.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I finished painting the Moldorf Expedition, a Relicblade faction set.

The thing in the back is a pet that can be summoned by the wizard-y character.

These are my first metal minis, and I'm pretty impressed. Lots of sharp detail, very little flash. The only problem was that I wasn't used to the weight and kept accidentally dropping them.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Was that yours?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I like the first one better.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nah, it’s an old meme.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:18 pm Nah, it’s an old meme.
Good. Then I don't feel so bad about laughing my ass off.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Finished with sails and rat lines. Sails are a pain. I need to get a better curve to them.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Painted 2 monsters of Mysthea

For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Last of the Journeys in Middle Earth minis. Can move on to Gloomhaven and Jaws of the Lion when I get back from vacation. Yay!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm starting to paint my FALLOUT: THE BOARD GAME miniatures. I just ordered the Atomic Bonds upgrade pack, so with the game being fully cooperative now I'm going to try to dive into it for some solo play.

I bought a magnifying visor a few months back but never got around to using it. I tried it today and WHOA, this is going to be a game changer. I knew my eyes were bad for reading, but I didn't realize how much my painting was suffering from it. I generally used regular reading glasses for painting and thought it was fine. Putting those magnifiers on showed me the error of my ways.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:40 pm I'm starting to paint my FALLOUT: THE BOARD GAME miniatures. I just ordered the Atomic Bonds upgrade pack, so with the game being fully cooperative now I'm going to try to dive into it for some solo play.
I hadn't heard about that. Hopefully it lands on Amazon soon, as I don't have a local game store.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I have both a small magnifying work stand and a magnifying visor. The visor is nice because it frees up my work space and doesn't require a plug or batteries but it gives me bad headaches so I actually prefer using the stand. I think it's because the distance between my eyes and the glass is always fixed with the visor, where as with the stand I can move my head a little to adjust as needed.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Blackhawk wrote:I hadn't heard about that. Hopefully it lands on Amazon soon, as I don't have a local game store.
I ordered mine from GameNerdz - it's only $12 so even with shipping it's not bad.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

No pics, but I spent yesterday evening at a buddy's house painting hot wheels for Gaslands Refueled. He just bought it and wants to get some cars looking properly post-apocalyptic before playing.

I gotta say, painting toy cars for this setting is a blast, mainly because you don't have to do a good job. In fact, the uglier and messier the car, the more it fits into the Gaslands aesthetic. Accidentally got some paint on a windshield? Just smear it around! Ever wondered what flesh-colored paint would look like on a car? Now's your chance to find out!

We created some really ugly mofos. So much fun.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Oddly enough, I have never gotten around to painting any of my Gaslands vehicles. Maybe that’s next. I have a bucketload of hot wheels and ready access to a 3D printer to create armaments and gubbins and the like.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

We were having a talk on the Zoom meetup last week about our FLGS and the selection of product there. This is a picture of ONE WALL of the store that I go to. There are many more walls and racks just like this.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

:crying-blue:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My daughter said a few days ago that she's ready to paint miniatures again, if she can pick a new figure. My daughters know the FLGS as the store I wanted to visit as a pre-teen. I'm know they still have some of the same stock.

Thanks for the reminder, we're going tomorrow after I seal the figures I've painted recently.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Pretty happy with how this little guy is coming along. Still need to do a couple of minor touch ups, paint the base, and seal him. This is what a huge difference that magnifying visor made - being able to pick out the small details and have clean lines around edges = priceless. Miniature is the Super Mutant from Fallout: The Board Game.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Got a chance to try out the Citadel Contrast paints today, and I think I'm in love. I bought three pots of it just to try, and honestly I really didn't think I'd be too keen on them. However, after knocking most of one figure out in about 10 minutes, I was an instant convert.

Really it wasn't the auto-shading feature of them that impressed me, but the consistency. The thin-ness takes some getting used to so you don't bleed over into other sections, but it goes on so fast that it really cut my time in half. I just love the feel of it.

I did learn pretty quickly that you can't cheat the primer though. I had missed a small spot when I spray primed one figure, and that contrast paint just beaded up like crazy. As long as you have a good prime coat, though, it's smooth as butter.

I'm sure there are purists who wouldn't dare put this stuff on their tournament-qualifying paint jobs, but for someone like me who just wants to get them to the table and look halfway decent? Sign me up. Going to order some more today.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:03 pm Got a chance to try out the Citadel Contrast paints today, and I think I'm in love. I bought three pots of it just to try, and honestly I really didn't think I'd be too keen on them. However, after knocking most of one figure out in about 10 minutes, I was an instant convert.

Really it wasn't the auto-shading feature of them that impressed me, but the consistency. The thin-ness takes some getting used to so you don't bleed over into other sections, but it goes on so fast that it really cut my time in half. I just love the feel of it.

I did learn pretty quickly that you can't cheat the primer though. I had missed a small spot when I spray primed one figure, and that contrast paint just beaded up like crazy. As long as you have a good prime coat, though, it's smooth as butter.

I'm sure there are purists who wouldn't dare put this stuff on their tournament-qualifying paint jobs, but for someone like me who just wants to get them to the table and look halfway decent? Sign me up. Going to order some more today.
Another convert. Welcome to the club.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Work continues...Image
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Love it.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I've been painting Mysthea monsters!

For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->