Wasteland 3 - Aug 28, 2020

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

stimpy

Re: Wasteland 3 - Aug 28, 2020

Post by stimpy »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:29 am
stimpy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:06 pm Downloaded it last night from Game Pass.
There is now an update for it that is downloading.
It's on GamePass? Woohoo. :) I put it on my wishlist this morning, but for free I'll give it a look. :)
Quite shocked to see that myself.
But hey........pleasant surprise.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Grifman wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:45 am
$iljanus wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:10 pm
Max Peck wrote:Downloading from Steam now.
Same here!
So you played it last night I see on Steam - any impressions?
At a keyboard so I'll type some out for ya!

I've played through what probably qualifies as the tutorial up to getting my base from the Patriarch so it's all early times.

Warning: I'll start off by saying that in my first run through I wasn't able to load any saves! In fact, the load saves option was grayed out. This is probably due to my antivirus program (Bitdefender) flagging the program for trying to make changes to the save folder. I whitelisted it after the message popped up but the game wasn't very happy with it and after I got to the Patriarch and quit the game for a short bit I found that I couldn't load saves when I restarted. My frustration was actually short lived since there were some choices that I wanted to redo to see how things would play out differently. More importantly, after doing a quick search the error was most likely due to my over zealous antivirus program and after restarting everything all was as it should be. So long story short, if you can't load saves whitelist the game. And probably you should play a few minutes and then try to load a save to make sure all is well.

Graphics/Performance: They're okay. I'm not a stickler for always having cutting edge ray effects, lens flare, etc and in an RPG it's more forgivable. I might have expected more after reading some reviews which really praised the graphics. Now this could certainly be due to being in the initial stages of the game and when it really opens up things could really start to pop. I'm not unhappy though and it doesn't look awful at all on my GTX 1070. Could play around with settings and I did bump it up a tad which smooved out some jagged edges. I'm also proud of my "ancient" system which seems to easily run this game with 8 gigs of DDR3 RAM and a i5 3330P processor which I mention if anyone has an "oldish" computer and wants to run this game.

UI: UI is functional and you can get to all the important things through the bottom of the screen which doesn't take up much real estate. Inventory isn't a chore with a shared pool that everyone can draw upon as needed. AP for actions are clearly stated before committing in both text and an AP bar on the bottom of the screen which is good because your character will live or die from your actions and you really want to put in some thought into what your character is committing to during your turn.

Gameplay: So as I said, I ended up having to restart my game which wasn't a terrible thing. Already in the intro there was a decision choice that had some impact on things a little further down the line so it was nice to game that out a little differently. I don't think you would suffer if you chose differently (trying to keep it cryptic to avoid spoilers) but it was a nice way to ease you in to the concept of choices having consequences.

You're not "fighting" the game design when you're placing your characters around the map or carrying out actions. The game does a good job of showing your level of protection behind different types of cover and marks out lines of sight from where you want to move your character. Sure, blowing up that fuel tank can set your fellow compatriots on fire if they were also standing around it but that's on you vs being a design flaw. I can get my characters to crouch to improve accuracy and perhaps make them a smaller target (unless they're behind cover) and even though there isn't a stealth approach button your opponents have a defined range of detection you can see so you can walk your team around their field of vision to get them in place before initiating hostilities. I think there's a "sneaky" skill but I don't know exactly how that works game wise but I'll make or recruit a character to try it out.

Try to resist the FOMO when starting out with your initial pair of characters because you'll be recruiting more folks to round out your team once you have control of your base. It's okay if your starting characters aren't proficient in everything. I didn't want to go through the whole character creation phase in the start of the game so I just picked a pre generated character pair (the tech twins or something like that). Really good to see your skills coming into play for certain interactions.

Ammo, weapons and first aid kits weren't in short supply but I'm in the early stages so it's probably not a bad idea to be a bit frugal. Also since you have a shared inventory, I read a piece of good advice about not having too many people using one type of ammo since that could deplete it rather quickly.

After taking possession of the base there were various rooms that you can go explore and I suggest you do so before starting out on the quests in the outside world.

Random thoughts/summary: So it runs well on my rig, graphics are fine for an RPG, and I'm not struggling against the controls (well for now at least. I just added recruits and a companion to my team before going to bed so we'll see how that goes). From some encounters that I've had I'm looking forward to seeing future payoffs (or dire consequences) from my choices. And I'm probably going to let my actions/decisions play out vs restarting from a save. Probably...

Happy to answer any other questions. Again, it's early in the game but I don't have regrets so far with my purchase and will have less technical impressions and more gameplay impressions as I explore the wasteland bringing order to chaos by killing all who disrespect my authority or something like that.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Impressions on page 2? What is this board coming to?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I still haven't finished Wasteland 2. I wonder if there is a lot of callback to that game? I would hate to miss references or clues or whatnot (or worse, spoilers for W2 like you find with some sequels), but I also want to try the new shiny.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:03 pm I still haven't finished Wasteland 2. I wonder if there is a lot of callback to that game? I would hate to miss references or clues or whatnot (or worse, spoilers for W2 like you find with some sequels), but I also want to try the new shiny.
I can't remember why I bailed on Wasteland 2, but now that you are bringing it up I should probably give it another look. But yeah, the new thing is calling!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I stopped playing Wasteland 2 at some point too. I remember I looked at getting back into it, and that was when the directors cut had been announced. So, I decided to hold off for that, then I read that save games weren’t transferable and starting all over seemed daunting.

I think I’ll just jump to 3 at this point.
-something witty-
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Stability-wise, the Directors Cut is a major improvement over the initially released version of Wasteland 2. No new content, but they added some perks and character creation traits as I recall, which are a mixed bag - some are useless, some are indispensable. It is one of those old-school long-form RPGs, so I wouldn't recommend "just a quick replay". It's a fun time, though.

Wasteland 2 featured a bunch of callbacks and spoilers to the original Wasteland, but there's a few sessions of summary exposition that probably hits most of the high points. I tried playing the original clunker, and as much as I like the gold box AD&D games, the original Wasteland is incomprehensible, and even I have my limits nowadays for how much clunkiness I'm willing to tolerate.
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Add me to the list that got pretty far into 2, but never finished it.
I am determined to see this one thru to the end.......... :horse:
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I also dropped off of Wasteland 2 after 20 hours or so. I don't really remember why - probably found something new and shiny. It was fine, although I remember having to scoot my chair right next to the TV because the text was way too small on the PS4. Hopefully that's fixed in Wasteland 3.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I petered out in WL2 after I hit California. I dug up my original post. I had no idea that was a little over five years ago!

Spoilering my Wasteland 2 post so that people don't think it's about Wasteland 3.
Spoiler:
Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 28, 2015 10:37 pm I'm thinking I may be done with this. I still haven't finished. I'm in Rodia, partway into California, and I'm burned out. I've tried to get back into the game three or four times over the past couple of months, and it just isn't clicking anymore.

The combat is part of the problem. I'm a thorough player, and this is an open world game. As is often an issue in these games, I've gotten too powerful. I don't need strategy to win anymore. I can just line my troops up. This makes the combat boring.

I'm also sick of the busy work. The carry weight is so limited that you either leave everything lying on the ground or you are encumbered after every other fight. It may be realistic, but it is a tedious pain in the ass. The slow-ass progress bars on skills don't help.

Those are the reasons I'm burned out - but I don't think this is a bad game. Not at all - I had a lot fo fun with it. I got my $20 Kickstarter investment back and then some. The good points outweigh the negatives - it just has a lot of quirks, and they've finally gotten on my nerves enough to sap my desire to continue.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

NickAragua wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:56 pm I tried playing the original clunker, and as much as I like the gold box AD&D games, the original Wasteland is incomprehensible, and even I have my limits nowadays for how much clunkiness I'm willing to tolerate.
The same devs (Krome Studios)that remade the original Bard's Tale redid Wasteland 1 as well...I have not tried it though. I DID try the original, and it was a hot mess. What I don't understand is why I didn't play it when it came out. It would have been right up my alley. Probably because I was spending all my time with the multiple Bard's Tales.

I recently tried playing the original Bard's Tale and just...couldn't. But this new remade version was a pleasure to play and I put quite a few hours into it (still need to finish, and plan to). It got high marks from users on Steam.
Carpet_pissr

Wasteland 3 - Aug 28, 2020

Post by Carpet_pissr »

OK, so I tried playing this on high settings, and it was a bit jerky during the first sequence. At the end of that sequence, when your commander tells you to come over to her, the speech bubbles just had dots in there as if it was trying to load something, but couldn't. Does that sound like a processor problem or a graphics card problem (I'm thinking latter)?

In looking at the system requirements on the store page, under the minimums, they list ALMOST my exact processor and video card. Strange since I have upgraded at least 2 CPU's while using the same video card.
i5 2.8 (min shows i5 3.3)
GeForce GTX 760

I knew my video card was overdue for a replacement (just waiting for the new geforce line to drop any day now), but the CPU too?! That usually means new motherboard, etc. :(

Edit: went back and let it auto detect. It put video Settings on medium and still not that smooth, but at least I could proceed past intro battle.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I still haven't finished Wasteland 2. I wonder if there is a lot of callback to that game? I would hate to miss references or clues or whatnot (or worse, spoilers for W2 like you find with some sequels), but I also want to try the new shiny.
So near the beginning, Angela Deth is name dropped and keeping it a little vague in regards to the circumstances but I'm betting there may be an encounter with her in the future.

There is a bit of spoilage as to what happened at the end of Wasteland 2 which is the rationale for sending you to Colorado. But it didn't bother me at all and this is just a new beginning for me. Besides, they should have made Wasteland 2 better since a bunch of us seemed to have stopped midway through the game! :)

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Ha! Add me to the list of Never Finished Wasteland 2...
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Going to try to play as characters Red and Blue, inspired by This is How You Lose the Time War. First CTD tonight as I kicked off the battle with the Dorsey dude.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

stimpy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:01 pm Add me to the list that got pretty far into 2, but never finished it.
+1 here as well. However, I found a save game pre-California that I am now determined to finish before using gamepass to play Wasteland 3
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So I spent many hours on Wasteland 2 last night. Just started over since I didn’t really remember the plot. I, too will play to the end before playing W3 dammit!!

Interesting Side note: W3 looked considerably worse graphically than W2. I know my video card is old, so maybe it can’t produce some of the new effects being used that I can’t even see? Or maybe produce unwanted artifacts instead.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Every review I read is that 3 looks MUCH better so something isn't right. I'm about to try it myself.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Small patch came out today apparently to fix memory issues. Just for shits and giggles I fired it up using high level video settings (not ultra, but higher than the “medium” I was auto-detected”

Played much better for me than the first go. Still looks like garbage though, and noticeably worse than 2. 90% sure it’s my vidgie card but multiple people on this board and ‘round the net have advised, nay threatened to NOT buy a card right now.

ONE. Must. WAIT.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Wasteland 3 wasn't even on my radar but now I'm longing for it. Gamepass doesn't work in Korea so I think I can hold out but I'm wavering.

Edit - I gave in and tried to sign up for Gamepass. It claims not to work in Korea but even without a VPN active it works just fine. So I'm in for $1 to see if my computer can run this ok.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:56 am So I spent many hours on Wasteland 2 last night. Just started over since I didn’t really remember the plot. I, too will play to the end before playing W3 dammit!!

Interesting Side note: W3 looked considerably worse graphically than W2. I know my video card is old, so maybe it can’t produce some of the new effects being used that I can’t even see? Or maybe produce unwanted artifacts instead.
'

There's something seriously wrong on your end - either with your machine or your memory. I've played W2 and the W3 demo/beta and there's no way W2 looks better than W3. And there are plenty of Youtube gameplay videos are there that prove it.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

IGN review. Some good videos there too.

https://www.ign.com/articles/wasteland-3-review
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Grifman wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:25 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:56 am So I spent many hours on Wasteland 2 last night. Just started over since I didn’t really remember the plot. I, too will play to the end before playing W3 dammit!!

'

There's something seriously wrong on your end - either with your machine or your memory. I've played W2 and the W3 demo/beta and there's no way W2 looks better than W3. And there are plenty of Youtube gameplay videos are there that prove it.
Yeah, that's the thing. I watched all the W3 trailers and they looked fantastic. OTOH I think W2 looks fantastic (but obviously W3 looks better). Again, it must be my older video card throwing artifacts out making stuff ugly. It's just the first time I'm seeing that I guess. Weird that I could play a game like Jedi Fallen Order with no problem though. :think:

One more weird thing - on the Steam store page where they show recommended specs, for MINIMUM they have;
Intel Core i5-3.3 GHz or better (I have an i5 8400 @ somewhere between 2.8 and 4Ghz)

But then if you look at recommended specs, they list : Intel Core i7-3770.

WTH. My processor is about 20% faster than that 2012 recommended processor!
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Specs are weird. I figured I'd give MS a dollar to try and low and behold my 3400g with integrated Vega 11 graphics runs it fine. It auto detected high even but that made the computer run a little warm so I turned it down.

So far I'm not impressed with the controls (right click to move, group move versus single character move) but character creation is good. City of Heroes might go on the back burner for a while while Kilgore and Trout wander Colorado.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Madmarcus wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:04 pm So far I'm not impressed with the controls (right click to move, group move versus single character move) but character creation is good.
So you don't like the fact that you right click to move? And maybe I am misunderstanding, but you can do a group move OR a single character.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Muscle memory from other games makes me want to left click somewhere to move. It will come around in a while but it feels clunky. The group versus single move is a smaller deal but I find it clunky somehow. That might change with a keybind as somehow my hands are going to tab to select all not to space.

Still, it's making a good first impression.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I am really enjoying it thus far, although I have been struggling a bit with the group move/single move. I generally want the entire group to move together. I haven’t yet found a shortcut key to select my entire party. You can drag a selection box around them but that doesn’t work when they are far apart. You can shift-click their portraits but that is less than ideal.
-something witty-
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

infinitelurker wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:05 am I am really enjoying it thus far, although I have been struggling a bit with the group move/single move. I generally want the entire group to move together. I haven’t yet found a shortcut key to select my entire party. You can drag a selection box around them but that doesn’t work when they are far apart. You can shift-click their portraits but that is less than ideal.
I believe hitting the spacebar selects everyone. I'm still early in the game myself and trying to get more comfortable with the controls. Their not bad just not what I've been playing in other games lately. The one thing I don't like, and can't seem to find an option for, is the ability to pull back further to see more of the area. Feels like I'm right on top of stuff when something comes into the field of view.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:34 am
I believe hitting the spacebar selects everyone. I'm still early in the game myself and trying to get more comfortable with the controls. Their not bad just not what I've been playing in other games lately. The one thing I don't like, and can't seem to find an option for, is the ability to pull back further to see more of the area. Feels like I'm right on top of stuff when something comes into the field of view.
Spacebar! Thank you that will help a ton.

Also, zooming in and out is done via the mouse wheel. Holding the middle mouse and moving the mouse adjusts the camera position too.
-something witty-
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

infinitelurker wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:42 am

Also, zooming in and out is done via the mouse wheel. Holding the middle mouse and moving the mouse adjusts the camera position too.
Mouse wheel doesn't go as far out as I'd like, especially playing at 3440x1440. It's also annoying that it zooms in a bit whenever you interact with something, so I need to zoom back out again. I'm sure I'll get use to it, just going to take some time. Fortunately the aggro range seems to account for the limited camera zoom out.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Reports are that this is a bit of a buggy mess on the consoles right now; some people are reporting herd crashes almost every 30 minutes. The game definitely looks like it would be right up my alley, but I’m going to hold off until they put out a few patches.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:47 am
infinitelurker wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:42 am

Mouse wheel doesn't go as far out as I'd like, especially playing at 3440x1440. It's also annoying that it zooms in a bit whenever you interact with something, so I need to zoom back out again. I'm sure I'll get use to it, just going to take some time. Fortunately the aggro range seems to account for the limited camera zoom out.
Yeah, I wish it zoomed out just a little further since it felt a little claustrophobic at times on certain screens. Pretty fortunate so far in regard to the lack of bugs cropping up on my PC though.
Black lives matter!

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I did have to change a default setting. Something about making it remember your grouping, I think. Too many times I'd come back from a cutscene and take off only to discover that it had reverted to only one of my characters being selected. Space bar works great for changing that, but I kept forgetting to check. Now it generally defaults to them being grouped. That's made things better.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

TheMix wrote:I did have to change a default setting. Something about making it remember your grouping, I think. Too many times I'd come back from a cutscene and take off only to discover that it had reverted to only one of my characters being selected. Space bar works great for changing that, but I kept forgetting to check. Now it generally defaults to them being grouped. That's made things better.
Oooh thanks for posting this. Every so often I'm moving a character then wondering where everyone went. Luckily for me there were times that my inadvertently lone wolf found some land mines preventing my party from stumbling into a nasty surprise.
Black lives matter!

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Oh, so the game has Red Shirts?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Freyland wrote:Oh, so the game has Red Shirts?
Everyone on my team is essential and not expendable! (If Lucia Wesson keeps nagging me though, a personnel reevaluation might be in order...)
Black lives matter!

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

TheMix wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:47 pm I did have to change a default setting. Something about making it remember your grouping, I think. Too many times I'd come back from a cutscene and take off only to discover that it had reverted to only one of my characters being selected. Space bar works great for changing that, but I kept forgetting to check. Now it generally defaults to them being grouped. That's made things better.
I'll have to go look for that settings.

The decision to give you infinite ranger recruits that you can create seems odd. I restarted and dropped armor modding from my main character as the game seems to be suggesting that you have a specialized armorer character to do that who never leaves the base. Like $ilijanus I'm glad I'm on a PC.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'm playing this co-op with a friend and have been having a blast so far!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

gbasden wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:39 am I'm playing this co-op with a friend and have been having a blast so far!
It's almost as if people are the problem.