What are you listening to right now?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Archinerd

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Post by Archinerd »

freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Dreary Saturday all around. If this rendition doesn't give you the chills, you might be a soulless husk. Wish I could have seen him perform, but his window was just so damn small. I can only imagine what he'd be doing now had his life not tragically ended.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I am now officially a soulless husk, apparently. ;) While soulful, emotive music isn't generally in my wheelhouse, I almost always appreciate it for the talent and emotion involved. That song did absolutely nothing for me.

Although it did lead to this in the YouTube recommendations, which I hadn't listened to in a long time. This version gets me every time.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D Maybe the song is tapping into memories of 1994 for me or I just have a general connection to that album. I'm normally not moved by music, but I genuinely get the chills hearing him sing. It's not a common experience for me, but 25+ years later, it still happens.

And yeah, the Charles Bradley cover is amazing.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:36 pm :D Maybe the song is tapping into memories of 1994 for me or I just have a general connection to that album. I'm normally not moved by music, but I genuinely get the chills hearing him sing. It's not a common experience for me, but 25+ years later, it still happens.
Oh, I totally get that. Lane Staley's anguished howls in this live version of "Love, Hate, Love" give me the same reaction. I can think of another two dozen examples, right off the top of my head.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't get the chills hearing it, but the whole MTV Unplugged AiC performance is really top notch. He was clearly suffering but somehow still managed to deliver. Powerful song and he's changed the tone (maybe it's more personal at this point?) slightly with this delivery.

freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:27 pm Although it did lead to this in the YouTube recommendations, which I hadn't listened to in a long time. This version gets me every time.

the covers aren't songs Charles picked out (rather his label) but he does do a great job with them - this is from the Nirvana tribute album put out by SPIN magazine:

i saw Dinosaur Jr. on this tour but apparently i was at the wrong show, as i didn't know about this:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

A jazz fusion/death metal album? Sure, why not.

It's actually quite a fascinating mix.

freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Scrobbling at last.fm
Milogostplayer

Post by Milogostplayer »

This si great band
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Metallica's S&M was one of my favourite albums when it came out. (Wow... 1999?) They were one of my favourite bands at the time, and I was raised on/have always loved classical music. Even though I suspect I'd downloaded all the MP3s, I remember walking in to HMV and buying the double album with my meagre high school funds.

S&M 2, twenty years later.... I still revisit Metallica every now and again for nostalgia's sake, but largely I've moved on. When I first looked at the track list, I was confused to see that ten of twenty-two songs were also played on the original? I presume that they're treating this as it's own kind of symphony, so it's more of an iteration and update than a sequel. But there's so much classic stuff they didn't do the first time round that this feels like a missed opportunity. How about The Four Horsemen? Fade to Black? Welcome Home (Sanitarium)? ...And Justice for All? Unforgiven or even Unforgiven II? (That's picking from the well known stuff... some others I'd personally love to see: Phantom Lord, To Live Is to Die, Fixxer, All Nightmare Long.) Some might be a little riff heavy, but just as an example.

The cover art (specifically the lettering) is really clever though. I might feel offended if I'd played in the strings section with them though lol.

I've only listened to the first disc so far. (But still plenty to talk about.) Without going back and listening to S&M, I can't tell the difference between Ecstacy and Ktulu here and on the original. For Whom the Bell Tolls, however... what a weird choice for the intro. (Woodwinds with tremolo?) I have no idea what happens between around 0:30 and 0:45, but it doesn't sound intentional:

That said, the last couple minutes are really great. They do some pretty wild stuff with the instrumentation, and most of it syncs up really well with the guitar parts. (I've since read that the arrangements of the re-done tracks are the same as 1999's. I haven't verified that, but I went back and listened to the original recording of Bells, and it's so much better, both the intro and the riff at 01:10. I think that may have been my favourite track on S&M Also, the "mother fucker" from verse two is gone.)

But then I found Day That Never Comes and Confusion translate really well. I'm actually not disappointed anymore that so much stuff off Hardwired appears here:

Except, I don't like the arrangement of Halo on Fire, probably my favourite track from Hardwired, at all. :cry: It's still listenable... the horns and strings around 04:00 are fantastic. But the sound mix doesn't feel balanced and the original is just a lot tighter.

Hetfield does some weird stuff with his voice occasionally, but it's a live recording. And he's 57.

It's worth listening to. I don't think I'd buy a hard copy. Might be back later to share whether they broke my heart with (Anesthesia) - Pulling Teeth.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

New Anaal Nathrakh song dropped this morning. It even includes a Mr Creosote reference, which made me :lol:

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Filter's Hey Man Nice Shot is one of the few popular alternative/industrial songs of its era I find to be evocative of the mid-90s without sounding dated. (Excluding Trent Reznor who's mostly in a category of his own.) The chorus's guitar line is amazing and reminds me of the great stuff Muse would begin writing several later. Apparently, Filter and Stabbing Westward shared guitarist Stuart Zechman at the time of its writing, and the exact same line showed up in the latter's Ungod. Both bands made the decision not to sue, and it's suggested that after Hey Man became a single for Filter, Stabbing Westward became reluctant to play Ungod.

Did you know Filter's frontman Richard Patrick is the little brother of actor Robert Patrick? (Terminator 2, X-Files)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sudy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:36 pm Filter and Stabbing Westward
i greatly dislike both of these bands. throw in Gravity Kills to complete the crap NIN-wannabe-trifecta. well, the first Stabbing Westward album had some good instrumental parts, but the lyrics are so incredibly cringe-inducing...

conversely, Tucson's-own Machines of Loving Grace were fantastic and i still listen to their albums (especially the first two) to this day. their bassist was great

self-titled, from 1991 ... the use of slap bass, Farfisa organ and cello on here is just so weird, but it works great

_Concentration_, from 1993 (the one with "Butterfly Wings" tho the whole album is good)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I agree wholeheartedly. In my mid-to-late teens I'd buy anything even tangentially related to industrial music. In late 1998, Stabbing's Save Yourself played on the radio twice an hour. I only tolerated that song, though I did come to like some of the rest of that album musically, poppy as it was. Even then I knew it was a knockoff. It was similar with Econoline Crush's first two albums, especially The Devil You Know. I must have worn that CD out. Anything after that I thought was horrible. Hey Man Nice Shot, however, I think is individually an amazing alternative song. I never really got into any of Filter's other stuff.

In retrospect, most of that stuff has aged horribly or at least feels extremely dated. Unlike a lot of real industrial records that are relatively timeless.

Sister Machine Gun's Sins of the Flesh is just a blatant Pretty Hate Machine wannabe track, but I've always found it catchy as hell:

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I hated Filter, but have always had a soft spot for Stabbing Westward. Yes, they’re cheesy and mopey, but I really liked them back in college. I haven’t listed to them in years though, they probably haven’t held up well.

The THPS soundtrack has me reliving my skater punk/ska days

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Two things strike me. First, this really, really holds up. Second - the people. Oh my god the number of people!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:52 pm Two things strike me. First, this really, really holds up. Second - the people. Oh my god the number of people!

I’ve never really liked Green Day, but will admit that album - and that song, specifically - is brilliant.

Back when I had my drum kit set up, that was one of my absolute favorite songs to play along with. It’s a blast.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I liked them, but skipped this album originally. When I finally started listening and then playing it in Rock Band? I totally agree - absolutely brilliant. This song is absolutely epic and I'm considering digging my Xbox360 out and just playing the bass as that's all I have left after the move. But yeah, fantastic stuff.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Not their latest stuff, but Church of the Cosmic Skull's pop prog/classic psych is just so good:

Mountain Heart

Go by the River

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Been listening to lots of Septicflesh over the long weekend.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

The Lounge Lizards - s/t
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:14 pm The Lounge Lizards - s/t
I'm not very familiar with their body of work, but I love Voice of Chunk. Tarantella's probably the most accessible song, but the instrumental tracks are also amazing.

I think I discovered John Lurie through the Jim Jarmusch/Tom Waits connection. Stranger Than Paradise is wonderful, and Fishing With John is hilarious.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

No idea how I missed the news last week of Zeal & Ardor's new EP.

This track hits hard, especially the "I can't breathe/it's a cell phone/please don't shoot" line.

JCC

Post by JCC »

New single from Dark Tranquillity!

Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The supergroup Wizardthrone has been announced with:
V. Morbistopheles Jones (Æther Realm) - Vocals, bass
M. Archistrategos Barber (Gloryhammer) - Guitars
M. Xaviculus Bell (Forlorn Citadel) - Guitars
C. Hyperiax Bowes (Alestorm) - Synthesizers
E. Wizardthrone Brown (Nekrogoblikon, Vale Of Pnath) - Drums
Enlarge Image

In other news, I don't always listen to pop punk. But when I do I can't stop singing along:

Chixdiggit - Chupacabras

The Lillingtons - Black Hole In My Mind

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I really like this new Of Feather and Bone track.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Just catching up on the 30 open browser tabs of bands I have to check out....

Dialith - Libra (2019) - Female fronted symphonic power metal. The vocals (clean) are great with the occsional operatic flourish, and the guitars and drums find a good balance between melodic and aggressive. The synths are epic without being overblown, and there are some nice acoustic elements.