Running

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Running

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:34 pm
stessier wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:21 pm Keep it up Coop!

I've lost it. Maybe it's the state of the world getting to me, maybe it's because my neighborhood doesn't allow runs to be safe and easy, or maybe I just need a break - but I'm finding it really hard to get out an run. Last week I only did 4x. I'm on pace for about that this week. I'm finding video games much more appealing and this is bad for my waste line. Hopefully I find my way out of it soon.
Thanks for the encouragement, but then you immediately shame me with your "only 4 runs last week"! Kidding, mostly. But consistently running 4x a week seems pretty good to me. I have been thinking about options to do something on the off days because generally I get 700-800 steps and maybe 3 flights of stairs on days I don't run. That... is pathetic. On a normal day when the world was normal I would have 6k steps and 10-12 flights just doing work stuff. My wife wants to do various beach body workouts but after my back surgery I am way more afraid about a lot of that stuff. Also, video games are more fun! I guess I can go back to Beat Saber and Thrill of the Fight on VR for the best of both worlds.
I will sign you up for the next available Ragnar post-haste.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I've lost it. Maybe it's the state of the world getting to me, maybe it's because my neighborhood doesn't allow runs to be safe and easy, or maybe I just need a break - but I'm finding it really hard to get out an run. Last week I only did 4x. I'm on pace for about that this week. I'm finding video games much more appealing and this is bad for my waste line. Hopefully I find my way out of it soon.
Thanks for the encouragement, but then you immediately shame me with your "only 4 runs last week"! Kidding, mostly. But consistently running 4x a week seems pretty good to me.
Sorry, that wasn't the intent. We've always been different runners - you have run mile times I've only seen on TV. My mileage is a bit more (and hence I run more often). Comparing between runners is usually not useful - comparing yourself to your past self or goals is more productive (imo).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:49 pm Comparing between runners is usually not useful - comparing yourself to your past self or goals is more productive (imo).
I was just kidding on the shame thing. I am a big boy. :)

As far as comparing to our past selves, can we not go there? Past Coop did a half in under 90 minutes, 5k in under 18 and mile in under 5.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:36 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, but then you immediately shame me with your "only 4 runs last week"! Kidding, mostly. But consistently running 4x a week seems pretty good to me. I have been thinking about options to do something on the off days because generally I get 700-800 steps and maybe 3 flights of stairs on days I don't run. That... is pathetic. On a normal day when the world was normal I would have 6k steps and 10-12 flights just doing work stuff. My wife wants to do various beach body workouts but after my back surgery I am way more afraid about a lot of that stuff. Also, video games are more fun! I guess I can go back to Beat Saber and Thrill of the Fight on VR for the best of both worlds.
I will sign you up for the next available Ragnar post-haste.
That's one way to get me to run... away!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:11 pm That's one way to get me to run... away!
Either way, you're runnin'.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

No matter how slow you run, you're going faster than the guy sitting on his couch. I can't tell you how many times I have to remind myself of that when I'm out there clomping along. :D
raydude

Post by raydude »

57deg this morning. Apparently I do better in colder weather because I was able to run 4.5 miles, my longest yet!
stessier

Post by stessier »

raydude wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:36 am 57deg this morning. Apparently I do better in colder weather because I was able to run 4.5 miles, my longest yet!
Oh yeah, cold weather is great. I can knock a minute/mile off my time when comparing runs from mid-July to mid-October (even when controlling to level of fitness).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I ran for 12 minutes on the treadmill yesterday, thats my longest stint yet since my injury. I stopped then, I could feel myself start to limping. But it was still pretty awesome.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I started messing around with the Pear fitness app because they have a lot of audio-led runs which I really like. Signed up for the "Running to 5K" program thinking it would be an easy way to get back on track. What I didn't realize is that they assumed you had already finished their run/walk course, so this started you day one with running 30 minutes straight.

However, I did manage to make it through and felt great this morning so I think I'll stick with it. I've settled on a running 3x a week, cycling 3x a week with a Sunday rest day. Also incorporating some body weight exercises in 3-4x a week.

I'm still not losing any weight, but dammit nobody can accuse me of not working out every day.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:22 am
raydude wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:36 am 57deg this morning. Apparently I do better in colder weather because I was able to run 4.5 miles, my longest yet!
Oh yeah, cold weather is great. I can knock a minute/mile off my time when comparing runs from mid-July to mid-October (even when controlling to level of fitness).
I’ve been in Jacksonville FL for almost a week now, and I’m still not used to running in this humidity. Getting up way earlier than I’d like to try to get my run in before the sun comes up, but it’s still brutal. Like running through a swamp!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kurth wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 amI’ve been in Jacksonville FL for almost a week now, and I’m still not used to running in this humidity. Getting up way earlier than I’d like to try to get my run in before the sun comes up, but it’s still brutal. Like running through a swamp!
Humidity is the worst. I'm spoiled by living in Denver these days, and when I visit family in Illinois or Tennessee I find myself wanting to exchange the newfound oxygen for a reduction in humidity...
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:38 am
Kurth wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 amI’ve been in Jacksonville FL for almost a week now, and I’m still not used to running in this humidity. Getting up way earlier than I’d like to try to get my run in before the sun comes up, but it’s still brutal. Like running through a swamp!
Humidity is the worst. I'm spoiled by living in Denver these days, and when I visit family in Illinois or Tennessee I find myself wanting to exchange the newfound oxygen for a reduction in humidity...
Yeah, humidity sucks. But just after I posted that, I got a text from my friend I usually run with in OR, and he said he's hasn't been able to run outside for a week now. And even running inside is impossible due to the smoke. His treadmill is in his garage, and he got dizzy and almost passed out when he tried to do a 5K this morning.

Made me remember that this is what it looked like from my deck when we left:

So, I'll take the Florida humidity and immediately cease and desist from my complaining.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It really is insane. Nothing that extreme here in CO, but between our own fires and what we've gotten from CA, the air quality has been noticeably worse. To the point where our Rockies often look like the Smoky Mountains from Denver. I can certainly tell the difference while running outside.
raydude

Post by raydude »

I’ve been able to do 5 miles the past few Fridays. Decided to push it today. Finally made it to 6 miles! I’m going to try and make that consistently every Friday and run 3-4 miles on my other running days.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That's awesome raydude. I'm on a 5 mile plan now. I got up to 4 over the spring, but let my conditioning lapse and I'm back to struggling with 2. However I'm running 4-5 times a week now so I'm hoping to get back up to speed pretty quickly.
raydude

Post by raydude »

My end of year stats:

96 runs for 324 total miles. Up from 61 runs for 116 miles last year.

Hopefully 2021 won’t see as many injuries to keep me from running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Awesome, Raydude! I've not gone running in 6 months or so, even when I do the hamster wheel it's nothing more than a brisk walk . But I did bike more than I have in several years, which is still a far cry from days gone by, mostly because my fast bike was replaced with a tank after it was annhilated in an accident.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

I haven't (quite) given up but I just can't seem to be able to run without getting injured. In the Spring was when I ran the most and it was going very well I was able to slowly run about 6 miles at once a few times, but started having hip pain. I took a break in the summer when I had minor (unrelated to exercise) surgery. I then tried getting back into running a few times in the Fall. I aggravated a knee inury and took a break. Then twice in the fall I got calf strains from running. Those infuriated me since I had to take days to a week off from walking to get them healed. So, most of the time I just walk.

On the bright side since I got my Garmin in mid January I tallied 1136 total miles of walking and running for 2020. I would guess the running makes up only 50-75 of those miles at the most. When I restarted walking regularly over a year ago, I was walking 17-18 minute miles. Now I mostly walk miles in the 13-15 minute range. I never got under 10 minute miles running - but as I said I kept getting hurt.

In 2021 I am going to give running one more chance with a much longer walking warm up. I used to walk about a third of a mile before running. This time I am going to walk a full mile before running. If I get hurt again I will probably just give up on it for good and stick to walking.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
raydude

Post by raydude »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:45 pm Awesome, Raydude! I've not gone running in 6 months or so, even when I do the hamster wheel it's nothing more than a brisk walk . But I did bike more than I have in several years, which is still a far cry from days gone by, mostly because my fast bike was replaced with a tank after it was annhilated in an accident.
Thanks Jeff! And congrats on the biking! Every increase is an improvement in my book. I haven't ridden a bike since high school, as every time I looked into getting one it was always above what I wanted to pay. I think this year, once Covid is mostly gone, I'll treat myself to a bike.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice job, all.

Figured I'd post my own 2020 goals, nuked as they were by the pandemic and my inability to hit the gym since mid-March. I kept on running outside, but my achilles issue still isn't fully resolved and has significant flare-ups if I go more than 3-5 miles on Colorado's hilly terrain. The treadmill was my savior in that regard and was making up around 50% of my mileage pre-COVID.

2020 goal was 800 miles ran. Achieved 613.7 (down from 717 in 2019). Moved 1,134 miles if walking and hiking activities are added.

Sticking with 800 as my 2021 goal, and hoping for the gym to be a reasonable thing by late summer. We'll see.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

raydude wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:15 pm
Jeff V wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:45 pm Awesome, Raydude! I've not gone running in 6 months or so, even when I do the hamster wheel it's nothing more than a brisk walk . But I did bike more than I have in several years, which is still a far cry from days gone by, mostly because my fast bike was replaced with a tank after it was annhilated in an accident.
Thanks Jeff! And congrats on the biking! Every increase is an improvement in my book. I haven't ridden a bike since high school, as every time I looked into getting one it was always above what I wanted to pay. I think this year, once Covid is mostly gone, I'll treat myself to a bike.
The money spent is well worth it. When my $2000 bike was destroyed in an accident and insurance only paid a pittance, I had to replace it with a $700 bike. That is a huge part of my dissatisfaction over the last 3 years. It's really a chore to just put on the miles I used to without a thought.

This year I'm going to try to use the hamster wheel more. 10K steps for each day in 2021 so far (hamster wheel steps, I'm at 16K all purpose steps with about 5 hours to go).
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Hit a yearly mileage high in 2020, coming in at 1,825 miles (a PR). Was aiming for 2K, but was hindered by fires and a case of COVID that knocked me out for 2 solid weeks and then a few more weeks before I was back to 100%.

Goal this year is to meet last year’s 2K goal, and I signed up for a virtual race to try to help keep me on track.

One month almost in the books, and with 200 miles down so far, things are off to a good start! Just need to keep it going.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Hot damn. Nice job, sir.
JCC

Post by JCC »

My January (walking) was awful. Had yet another calf injury (from walking not running) which kept me from walking for a combined week and a half (I reinjured it by taking a long walk when it was still stiff). Then we've had a ton of wet weather over the last week so I only waked once in the last week. Stupid calf/weather!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

So despite my treadmill being inoperable from the beginning of November through almost the end of January, I still did hit my 2020 goal of 1000 miles. I've successfully hit that 7 of the last 8 years (not sure what happened in 2014).

That said, 2021 is off to a slow start with the aforementioned lack of treadmill, and a calf injury limiting me to 29 miles in January. Will have to pick up the pace going forward. And hoping to get two states crossed off the marathon list during the second half of the year, covid permitting.

Congrats to all who are doing well with their goals!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My 2020, according to RunKeeper. The true tally may be *slightly* higher since I had some runs where I was using other apps to try out.

349.5 miles, average pace 13:08.

137 days ran

Planning on upping that by quite a bit this year, but I was pleased with the number of days I got out there.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

I am proud of myself that I actually reached 1005.9 miles in 2020. Never thought I would or could do something like that.

I had a almost 600 miles by mid September, and saw a british "trail runner" mag (it was a jan/feb edition - no idea why it was still on the shelf) where they had a "commit to 1000 miles this year." I needed some motivation, so I said "why not" and just tried to do it.

To further push myself, I figured why not try and set a goal to train for something instead of just running. So I found a half marathon plan and followed that. I was already running miles, I just now increased it a bit every weekend. I was out on Veterans day (11/11) for my normal early morning run and thought, I have the day off, so lets go the 13.3 miles. I had run 10 mies a few weeks before and figured 3 more wouldn't be bad. It wasn't.

There was a bit of 'down to the wire' at the end of December - the weather has been really rainy so many days I couldn't run - but ran the last 7 miles on 30 December 2020. Glad I did, because the 31st had heavy rain!

Now I have several "halfs" under my belt, the best time was 1:41:44. So I am fine with that as I am not competitive or trying to run races.

This year has been o.k. so far - lots of rain still (I can run in 19 degree F cold, but not rain), but getting out as often as I can. Now I can get in a 7 mile morning run and still be stretched and ready for getting the kid ready for school and me for work.

To keep the motivation, I am looking at going for a maraton length run. Not a race, but just running it on my own. I am too much of a cheap-ass to pay someone for me to run. :lol:

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. I really have noone here to talk to about this. :oops:
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nicely done.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I may have done 1000 miles... this millennium... but probably not.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Great job A nonny mouse! That's part of what I love about running. Every runner can achieve his/her own individual goals even though they may be drastically different. Glad you accomplished your 2020 objectives. Good luck with 2021!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've been walking pretty regularly since October. Recently I've decided to start mixing in some running along with it, mainly because I'm tired of getting winded simply walking up the stairs. :) The plan is to slowly integrate more and more running into the route as I get in better shape. It's still currently about 3/4 brisk walk with 1/4 slow run, but I'm hoping to flip that ratio over the next 6-8 weeks.

Figured I'd better put my proverbial stake in the ground so I can come back 6 months from now and see if there has been improvement. I hate these numbers, bit we all gotta start somewhere, right?

Enlarge Image

- Short term goal #1 (3 weeks) is to get that minutes/mile down under 13:00.
- Mid-term goal #2 (6 weeks) is to increase my ratio so I'm running at least 3/4 of the route.
- Longer term #3 (6 months) goal is to run a full 2 mile route at at least a 10:00 min/mi pace. Hopefully that's not too unrealistic.

Now I'm off to do more research on shin splits, which are absolutely destroying me right now. I bought good shoes, I do stretches (even bought a yoga strap to help), I'm trying to strengthen them, but it still kills me every night. Getting old sucks.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice!

Shin splints are the devil, and I know of no shortcut to get past them. Just rest and slowly strengthening them to be sufficient to counteract your calves.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Congrats on the plan and actually starting! That's the hardest part.
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:28 am Nice!

Shin splints are the devil, and I know of no shortcut to get past them. Just rest and slowly strengthening them to be sufficient to counteract your calves.
Agreed - there is no way to push through them, they will only get worse.
disarm

Post by disarm »

When I first started running, I had awful shin splints that I probably talked about earlier in this thread. I ran through mine as much as I could tolerate, but it was pretty miserable for a while. Stretching, toe-tap exercises and a good roller helped quite a bit. When mine were bad, I would stand at work and do toe taps/raises all day to work those muscles, and it definitely helped. There are things you can do to help, but unfortunately it's a phase you have to get through for a lot of people.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've struggled with them my whole life, even back when I was in great shape.

When I played collegiate soccer and ran for miles (and miles and miles) every day, I used to have to fill Dixie cups with water and freeze them so I could ice down my shins every night after practice. We'd tear off the top of the cup and use the "popsicle" part to rub ice on the shins. Age, weight, and general lack of physical activity has only made the shin splints worse, I'm afraid.

I mentioned to an old teammate that I was going to start running again. He reminded me that in order to even try out for our college team, we had to be able to run two miles under 12:00 (12:30 for goalkeepers). Fast forward 25 years, and I'm now trying to get one mile under 13:00. Ugh...
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I suffered shin splints for quite a few years...the worst was after being on my feet three days straight at E3 one year. There was no quick recovery, and staying off my feet was rarely an option. I probably shouldn't tempt fate, but I've not had problems with them for years now (all though the plantar fasciitis I had last month was pretty damn bad).
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

So I still mostly walk. But the last couple weeks have slowly incorporating running back in. Last week ran one mile (#2) on my 4 mile walk. First run of 2021 so that mile gassed me pretty good.

So where I live there is this landfill park that used to be... you guessed it... a landfill. You can walk or run your way to the top for a pretty awesome view. Anyway been doing that for a while walking. This week, I was walking my "landfill" 4 mile walk and I started running mile 2 (which is the mile I go up the landfill). I didn't expect for a moment that I would make it, but I did! Once I got to the top I expected I would switch to walking but somehow I didn't. Ended up running mile 2 and 3. I'll tell you, once I got down the landfill and back on flat pavement, running felt a lot easier! haha

Today did a normal greenway 4 miles and ran the middle 2. So far so good. My times are slow (in the low 11's) but I am not concerned about that at this point. Just glad I don't have shin splints or (worse) calf strains which plauged me so much at the end of last year and even had one in January when I was just WALKING.

Most of my walking miles are just above or below 14 minutes.
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Goal #1...COMPLETE! :dance: My last three have actually been under the 13:00/mile mark, but I wanted to make sure I was doing the same route as my original post. Goal #2 is actually pretty close to complete as well. I'm running well over half the route now, and only walking on the major uphill parts. Need to work on that.

Doubling my stretching before and after seems to be making a significant difference with the shin split issue. While my legs still feel like lead by the time I'm done, my shins haven't been nearly as sore. Using that yoga strap to stretch my lower leg has been a godsend. Picked up a muscle roller too, which seems to help.

So far, so good.

Enlarge Image
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome. Glad to hear the shin splints are improving. I'm my experience they are the worst of the 'getting back into running' injuries.