R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stimpy

Re: R.I.P. The thread of death....celebrity or otherwise

Post by stimpy »

Never liked the band Creed, but for some reason, I kept getting their t shirts for birthdays and holidays when they first came out.
Never wore a single one.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Ever wonder why digital assistants have mostly female voices? Where did they come from? Pour one out for somebody you never heard of: Ann Syrdal.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Kraken wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:26 pm Ever wonder why digital assistants have mostly female voices? Where did they come from? Pour one out for somebody you never heard of: Ann Syrdal.
Let me get this straight, the woman's name that helped give rise to female voices for digital assistants was Ann Syrdal. Ann Ser-dal. Answer Doll. Wow.
Last edited by Moat_Man on Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Moat_Man wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:32 pm
Kraken wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:26 pm Ever wonder why digital assistants have mostly female voices? Where did they come from? Pour one out for somebody you never heard of: Ann Syrdal.
Let me get this straight, the woman that helped give rise to female voices for digital assistants name was Ann Syrdal. Ann Ser-dal. Answer Doll. Wow.

I did not see that one.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Or Answered All...
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

RIP Justin Townes Earle. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/24/arts ... -dead.html

Another musician taken too young.

I'm a huge fan of his father Steve so I got into Justin pretty quickly when he came on the scene. I only got to see him once, opening for The Decemberists.

No cause of death announced.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:33 pm No cause of death announced.
hearing this back when it came out, i'm not so surprised...

Last edited by hitbyambulance on Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:41 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:33 pm No cause of death announced.
hearing this back when it came out, i'm not so surprised...

Yeah...the the first song of his that came to my mind as well...
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Power Trip was arguably the best thrash band out there right now. Their singer, Riley Gale, just passed at 35 years old.

I’m absolutely crushed. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just read that Lute Olson, longtime Arizona basketball head coach, passed today.

RIP Coach.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

RIP Joe Ruby, co-creator of Scooby Doo, dead at 87
Animation legend Joe Ruby is dead at 87, reports the BBC. Ruby co-created Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?, among many other classic titles, and with Ken Spears founded the Ruby-Spears animation studio in 1977. Both were Hanna-Barbera veterans who saw its dominance of U.S. TV animation as an opportunity to compete. And that they did.

"He never stopped writing and creating, even as he aged," said his grandson Benjamin Ruby.

Warner Bros' animation president, Sam Register, said Ruby "made Saturday mornings special for so many children, including myself"."He was one of the most prolific creators in our industry who gifted us some of animation's most treasured characters and it was a thrill to host him at our studio," he continued.

"Scooby-Doo has been a beloved companion on screens for more than 50 years, leaving an enduring legacy that has inspired and entertained generations."
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Wow. Didn’t know he was sick.

Spoiler:
BREAKING: 'Black Panther' actor Chadwick Boseman dies at 43 after 4-year fight with colon cancer, representative tells AP. Find updates here:
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Oh no.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Colon cancer at 43 is just bad luck. They don't even start screening for it until 50.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Jesus, talk about out of left field. That is just so unfair.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Damn, that is awful. Great actor and seemed like a genuinely good guy.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:39 pm Colon cancer at 43 is just bad luck. They don't even start screening for it until 50.
Mom told me to start at 30 because she had it. Im 51 and not done it yet.

Ive not seen any of the movies he was in but have watched tons of clips on YT. Its amazing he did all those moves and running and stuff that weren't stuntmen during all this.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Incredibly sad. It is crazy to think the guy made multiple movies including action roles with secret colon cancer.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just had a co-worker my age suddenly die of a pulmonary embolism this week. Seeing these unexpected deaths in young people really hits you in the feels. My heart goes out to his family. I'm happy he left behind such a powerful representation of Black Panther - the film seemed important at the time it released, and I think it seems even more important now.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The king is dead! Long live the king!

NCBI
African Americans have the highest incidence and mortality rates of colorectal cancer (CRC) of any ethnic group in the United States. Although some of these disparities can be explained by differences in access to care, cancer screening, and other socioeconomic factors, disparities remain after adjustment for these factors.
Colorectal cancer (CRC) is the third most common cancer in both men and women in the United States and the second most common cause of cancer-related death.1 African Americans bear a disproportionate burden, with an incidence of CRC that is >20% higher than in whites and an even larger difference in mortality.2 In particular, African Americans are more often diagnosed with CRC at an earlier age and with more advanced disease; and African Americans have a greater proportion of CRCs in the proximal colon.3 Although some of these differences can be explained by access to care, screening, and other socioeconomic factors, a significant portion of the disparity remains after adjustment for these factors.
Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:21 pm Oh no.

This hit one of my buddies that works the weekend desk at the alano club so hard.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:59 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:39 pm Colon cancer at 43 is just bad luck. They don't even start screening for it until 50.
Well, unless you're cool with dying of busted bowels, get scoped. It's free under Obamacare.
Enough

Post by Enough »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:09 pm I just had a co-worker my age suddenly die of a pulmonary embolism this week. Seeing these unexpected deaths in young people really hits you in the feels. My heart goes out to his family. I'm happy he left behind such a powerful representation of Black Panther - the film seemed important at the time it released, and I think it seems even more important now.
Very well said. One of my favorite actors of this generation. Thanks for being such a good human being Chadwick.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Kraken wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:15 am
Daehawk wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:59 pm
Well, unless you're cool with dying of busted bowels, get scoped. It's free under Obamacare.
This. 1000X this.

Seriously, getting a colonoscopy is one of those things that people make into way more of a big deal than it actually is. Yes, the preparation kind of sucks, and you're not going to want to be far from a bathroom when you're cleaning out your bowels before the procedure, but the procedure itself is quick and easy and painless.

Due to my own health issues, I've had somewhere around a half dozen scopes over the last twenty years. None of them were a big deal.

Just get it done if you have a family history or your doctor advises you to. I guarantee that from a cost/benefits perspective, you won't regret it.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I know we've collectively mentioned this to Daehawk at least half a dozen times already aver the last 5+ years regarding going to get checked. My grandmother died of colon cancer when I was a kid. She also refused to get checked and instead of detecting problems and possibly treating them early, she died slowly over a 3 month period after half a year of chemo and radiation.

Regardless, the news about Chadwick Boseman is legitimately awful. 43 is way too young. By all accounts, everything I've read or seen reported about him was that he was a class act. I cannot get my mind around how he was diagnosed in 2016 but still managed to star in Black Panther and the two final Avengers movies while seeming getting treatment.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:59 pm Ive not seen any of the movies he was in
This is nearly as bad as not getting screened.

You can even do a home stool sample test if going to a clinic freaks you out.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:32 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:59 pm Ive not seen any of the movies he was in
This is nearly as bad as not getting screened.

You can even do a home stool sample test if going to a clinic freaks you out.
Actually I realized I have seen one...Marshall. Watched it with my wife on tv in 2017. Great movie. Didn't know it was the same guy in Panther.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk: don't be such a heaving jessie. Man up and get checked out properly. It's really not that big of a deal at all.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I was scheduled to get a colonoscopy, but it got cancelled due to COVID shit. They eventually called to reschedule, but I would have to take a test and then isolate for 14 days. It's just not doable for me for a number of reasons. Just one of the reasons I'm hoping for a return to normal so I can get scoped.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

ImLawBoy wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:34 pm I was scheduled to get a colonoscopy, but it got cancelled due to COVID shit. They eventually called to reschedule, but I would have to take a test and then isolate for 14 days. It's just not doable for me for a number of reasons. Just one of the reasons I'm hoping for a return to normal so I can get scoped.
Ask your doctor if it makes sense to get an at-home collection kit that you can just send off to a lab. I wouldn't use it to replace the need for a traditional colonoscopy, but if you take the at-home test and it reveals something of significant concern at least you can make a better decision about what to do in the short term. That's my non-medical advice, fwiw. Read more here with a good summary chart of the +/- considerations.

The more I read about Chadwick Boseman, the more busted up I get.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've had my butt snaked three times now. Last time, they told me I don't have to go back for 8 years (I'll be 70, if I live that long). But the first time they found a bunch of polyps. Because they cut those suckers out before they did their polygamy or whatever polyps do when nobody's looking, my ass is whistling Dixie today.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Those home tests.....what are they looking for? If its just blood how can they tell cancer from a hemorrhoid?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:04 am Those home tests.....what are they looking for? If its just blood how can they tell cancer from a hemorrhoid?
I don't know, but I'm pretty sure they've got it figured out.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Daehawk wrote:Those home tests.....what are they looking for? If its just blood how can they tell cancer from a hemorrhoid?
Look up 'ColoGuard'...it's a test that looks for the the presence of both blood and cancer-related DNA markers in a stool sample. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing. A positive Cologuard screening does means that you need a colonoscopy to look for why the test came back positive.

That said, you really should just get a colonoscopy. It's covered by all forms of insurance as a routine screening once you hit age 50, and it's reasonable not a big deal. Spend an evening drinking the prep, poop like You've never pooped before, then take a nap for the colonoscopy the next day. Is the prep unpleasant? Maybe...but the whole process beats the hell out of having colon cancer.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Cliff Robinson (longtime Portland Trailblazer) passes at 53 after battling lymphoma. :(
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

disarm wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:09 am Is the prep unpleasant? Maybe
Maybe? MAYBE? There's no MAYBE about it!

"...but the whole process beats the hell out of having colon cancer."

At the end of this ordeal, you still may very well have colon cancer, it's just now you're sure about it. If you're lucky, you find out early enough to treat it.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:01 pm

At the end of this ordeal, you still may very well have colon cancer, it's just now you're sure about it. If you're lucky, you find out early enough to treat it.
My understanding was that removing the polyps reduces the chances of them turning cancerous? Or did they remove them for other reasons?

Anyway, yes, the prep sucks. It's horrid. However, watching my father die from colon cancer wasn't fun either. So I got it done and am on the every 5 year plan.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

gbasden wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:02 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:01 pm

My understanding was that removing the polyps reduces the chances of them turning cancerous? Or did they remove them for other reasons?

Anyway, yes, the prep sucks. It's horrid. However, watching my father die from colon cancer wasn't fun either. So I got it done and am on the every 5 year plan.
gladden is correct, there is a preventative to it, not just a detection. And the prep has gotten much better over the last 20 years that I've been having them done. First one was at 35, because of family history. I now get one every 5 years. I was conscious through 2 of them, those were interesting. Not painful, just interesting. The last two though they knocked me out.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

hentzau wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:09 pm [

gladden is correct,
... :?