State of the Xbox?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jeff V

State of the Xbox?

Post by Jeff V »

Maybe there's a relevant thread but a few search attempts failed me.

Since 2020 is the year of the apocalypse, that means it's time to get a gaming console. Well, not for me, exactly, but my son's birthday is in a few days. He's looking to play things like Roblox and Minecraft, but is also into retro stuff like Pacman and Sonic. I don't think I need a bleeding edge model (and price is someone important right now), I think we need a console/controller package with an additional controller. Any suggestions/links to specific products that might do the trick? Thanks!
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: State of the Xbox?

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Xbone has held up to constant usage in our household. I think it's the slim version, Xbox One S. No power brick, wifi, hdmi. Easily moved from TV to TV when circumstances dictate.

There's a new one coming out soon but if you need it in time for the birthday and only need it for Roblox and Minecraft (and Fortnite, you will need it for Fortnite) the 'Bone is plenty.

The bundle deals are a crapshoot but there is a Minecraft bundle. Or there was. Honestly, best bet is toget the cheapest console and extra controller and then get Gamepass. You won't need to buy many games.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

With the new ones coming this holiday season, there should be used ones coming on the market.

I might be open to parting with my (Launch Day -- so as old as they get) Xbox One even now, if I can find the box. I would have to check with the kids, but I might even be able to include an asston of skylanders and the games if the kids are ok with letting them go. They played it once this year. I would *love* to get that crap out of my media room.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i may finally get a PS4 next year!

my brother got an Xbone for his then 10 and 6 year olds. he bought it for the backwards compatibility, but since he's very strict on what they play and he doesn't get anything from the online store, all they played on it was Minecraft - there is not much in the way of 'kid's games' in disc form on it. my parents got them a Switch last xmas and they were much happier with that (tho the Xbone is still the 'Minecraft console').
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Apparently someone started a rumor that toilet paper was included in each box, and there doesn't seem to be anything available not massively jacked up in price. Units that normally sell for $300 are going for twice that (Walmart is selling one with Minecraft for $700!) At this point, it'd be cheaper getting him a larger, faster tablet than the $30 Fire he has now.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:50 pm Apparently someone started a rumor that toilet paper was included in each box, and there doesn't seem to be anything available not massively jacked up in price.
check your local craigslist
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:50 pm Apparently someone started a rumor that toilet paper was included in each box, and there doesn't seem to be anything available not massively jacked up in price. Units that normally sell for $300 are going for twice that (Walmart is selling one with Minecraft for $700!) At this point, it'd be cheaper getting him a larger, faster tablet than the $30 Fire he has now.
$299

$299

$299

You don't HAVE to buy a bundle. Just buy the console and then the game you want during a sale or something.
He won. Period.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Generally, as I'm sure you know, the Switch has many more kid friendly games on it. My nephew has Minecraft on it and it doesn't seem any noticeably different than Minecraft on other systems, as far as I can tell. Though Switches may also be in short supply.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Gamestop has the S available for delivery. $299 new.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:50 pm Apparently someone started a rumor that toilet paper was included in each box, and there doesn't seem to be anything available not massively jacked up in price. Units that normally sell for $300 are going for twice that (Walmart is selling one with Minecraft for $700!) At this point, it'd be cheaper getting him a larger, faster tablet than the $30 Fire he has now.
I think Microsoft was the one starting the rumors.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I would suggest a Xbox One X and the Game Pass for sheer quantity of good stuff to do without buying any individual games.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:17 pm Gamestop has the S available for delivery. $299 new.
OK, their website blows, but it's been ordered, uncertain to arrive in time for his birthday (but should be here by the kids party 6 days later). Now controllers...some specify Xbox One, some just Xbox. Is there a difference? Getting a second controller seems to be a challenge as well if I stay with Microsoft brand.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Harkonis wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:01 pm I would suggest a Xbox One X and the Game Pass for sheer quantity of good stuff to do without buying any individual games.
Right now his needs are rather low end, and I can't help but think a tablet with a faster processor and more memory than his Kindle Fire would serve his purpose (and be straight Android). His awareness of the variety and quality of available content doesn't need expanding at this time. :D But I suppose this will be a better option for when his friends visit.
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:03 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:17 pm Gamestop has the S available for delivery. $299 new.
OK, their website blows, but it's been ordered, uncertain to arrive in time for his birthday (but should be here by the kids party 6 days later). Now controllers...some specify Xbox One, some just Xbox. Is there a difference? Getting a second controller seems to be a challenge as well if I stay with Microsoft brand.
If you want accessories, I can get those much cheaper through the company store. Just let me know what you need.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

gbasden wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:35 pm
Jeff V wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:03 pm
If you want accessories, I can get those much cheaper through the company store. Just let me know what you need.
He speaks the truth! You'd be surprised how much I've saved on stuff going through gsbaden and his "fell off a truck" discounts!
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Target is my go-to for controllers-in-a-pinch but they are usually full price.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Just to torment Jeff after her bought this current generation's XBox for $299:

Hodor.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Harkonis wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:01 pm I would suggest a Xbox One X and the Game Pass for sheer quantity of good stuff to do without buying any individual games.
A second vote for this. Game Pass has been a huge plus for us. I don’t think I’ve bought a game for over a year now. Seems like every time there’s something I want to play, it’s on Game Pass. Love this service.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Kurth wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:22 am
A second vote for this. Game Pass has been a huge plus for us. I don’t think I’ve bought a game for over a year now. Seems like every time there’s something I want to play, it’s on Game Pass. Love this service.
I've never been an Xbox gamer, but I'm honestly thinking about going the Gamepass route that includes Live, GamePass and the system with the next XBOX SX.
FTE
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Scraper wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:47 am
I've never been an Xbox gamer, but I'm honestly thinking about going the Gamepass route that includes Live, GamePass and the system with the next XBOX SX.
I'm in the same boat. I haven't had an Xbox since maybe 2005, mainly because the exclusives I care about are on Playstation, but I am really jealous of Game Pass.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:29 pm
Scraper wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:47 am
I'm in the same boat. I haven't had an Xbox since maybe 2005, mainly because the exclusives I care about are on Playstation, but I am really jealous of Game Pass.
Doesn't Playstation have Playstation Now?
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

PSNow is a pale shadow compared to GamePass.

PSNow has more games but they are all old. GamePass has first party (and some third party) releases on release day.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Yeah - I did the free trial of PS Now a few months back and there were maybe two games I really was interested in playing. And there were very few newer games. From a distance, it seems like many games come out on Game Pass right when they’re released.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:40 pm PSNow is a pale shadow compared to GamePass.

PSNow has more games but they are all old. GamePass has first party (and some third party) releases on release day.
I love game pass, hence my purchase of almost 2 1/2 years of ultimate when they offered the deal on switchover for live members a while back.

The only thing I don’t really like on the PC side though is the install. The games are installed in the windows app folder and need special permission to access. Then they often put the exe somewhere else entirely.
He won. Period.