Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kurth

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Kurth »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:35 pm
Kurth wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:47 pm
Alefroth wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:06 pm
Kurth wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:50 am I’m a little more than halfway through season two of Dark. This show is aptly named! No one seems happy in the least, and I don’t think there’s been more than a handful of shots that had any sunshine. But I’m loving it.
I'm past halfway of season 3 and it's just too much now.
Totally get that. I finished it up last night, but at the halfway point is S3, I had to hit pause and go to the Dark fan wiki to help me keep track of who was who and what the hell was going on. That really helped me enjoy the remaining episodes and what I thought was a great finale.

Overall, this was one of my favorite Netflix originals. Also, the soundtrack is fantastic!
Ha, I finished it last night too. I'd say it was a somewhat satisfying ending, but I did mostly enjoy the show for the dialog, acting, and atmosphere even if the plot did get way too convoluted.

Just curious, did you watch it dubbed or with subtitles?
Do I get extra points if I answer, "BOTH"? :D

I almost always have subtitles on since I'm watching late at night and don't want to wake the family. It was strange, though, watching with subtitles and the English dubbing. They really only matched up like 80% of the time, creating some very different meanings and deliveries depending on whether I was listening to the dubbed dialogue or reading the subtitles.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier

Post by stessier »

Yay! And good for them.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:03 pm Yay! And good for them.
:dance:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

We've been watching I'm sorry, which is a fun, adults only 21st century take on the family sitcom. Language, language, language...

Looks like it is a Tru TV show.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I did a search to see if this has been mentioned already and didn’t see it, so apologies if this is a repeat.

We started watching High Score on Netflix last night. The first 3 episodes so far have been good and a real blast from the past for my 48 year old self. If you grew up in the arcades, playing text adventures, etc. and have been gaming since the “old days” you will likely enjoy it too.
-something witty-
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Binge watched all new episodes of Lucifer. Very enjoyable, although a couple of story points relied on some overused tropes. Now another year's wait for season 5 part 2...
stessier

Post by stessier »

I watched the first Season and a half of Travelers a while ago and then got distracted. I've picked it back up this weekend and I'm finding it tough to watch given the current state of the world. It's good though.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:13 pm I watched the first Season and a half of Travelers a while ago and then got distracted. I've picked it back up this weekend and I'm finding it tough to watch given the current state of the world. It's good though.
I can see that. Loved the show start to finish, tho.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:13 pm I watched the first Season and a half of Travelers a while ago and then got distracted. I've picked it back up this weekend and I'm finding it tough to watch given the current state of the world. It's good though.
Good lord, my hat is off to Tom Ellis this season. I mean, the voice he uses for half the thing is utterly indistinguishable from Lucifer’s voice. He sells it so hard I forgave them almost immediately for what I thought was a cheap plot device at first.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:51 pm
Good lord, my hat is off to Tom Ellis this season. I mean, the voice he uses for half the thing is utterly indistinguishable from Lucifer’s voice. He sells it so hard I forgave them almost immediately for what I thought was a cheap plot device at first.
You came so close to quoting the right person. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Damn it! Whoops. :oops:
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I had been kind of looking forward to Enola Holmes, because after Stranger Things I'll watch another show starring Eleven.

But she's bringing along Geralt of Rivia and Helena Bonham Carter?

Count me totally in.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Bah, Altered Carbon has been canceled.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:20 pm Bah, Altered Carbon has been canceled.
Well drat.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Bummer. :(

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:20 pm Bah, Altered Carbon has been canceled.
Personally indifferent as I thought season 2 really lacked compared to the first, but sympathetic to you guys.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote:Bah, Altered Carbon has been canceled.
I was rather looking forward to the further adventures of Poe and Miss Annabel Lee.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No Poe? Say it ain’t so!
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I loved the first season, but the second definitely took a nosedive. I'm not entirely surprised they cancelled it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:15 am I loved the first season, but the second definitely took a nosedive. I'm not entirely surprised they cancelled it.
I think we made it through two episodes of S2 before we bailed. Sad that those who wanted it to continue aren't going to get it though.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:16 pm
I was rather looking forward to the further adventures of Poe and Miss Annabel Lee.
Yeah, pretty much this.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

gilraen wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:23 am
Yeah, pretty much this.
Thirded. The main storyline wasn't as enticing in S2, but Poe and Annabel rocked.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:33 am
gilraen wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:23 am
Yeah, pretty much this.
Thirded. The main storyline wasn't as enticing in S2, but Poe and Annabel rocked.
Yeah, they were great. I also liked Quellcrist Falconer (Angelica!). Mackie didn't work for me.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The Meal wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:40 am
Rumpy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:15 am I loved the first season, but the second definitely took a nosedive. I'm not entirely surprised they cancelled it.
I think we made it through two episodes of S2 before we bailed. Sad that those who wanted it to continue aren't going to get it though.
Yeah, I mean it definitely had its highlights such as Poe and Anabelle, but I didn't find the story nearly engaging. And one thing I liked about the first season was the atmosphere. But that was gone in season 2. You could also tell that it was lower budget. I think it's a good observation of how much atmosphere means to a show.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:48 am I had been kind of looking forward to Enola Holmes, because after Stranger Things I'll watch another show starring Eleven.

But she's bringing along Geralt of Rivia and Helena Bonham Carter?

Count me totally in.

That looks fantastic.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:04 pm
Yeah, I mean it definitely had its highlights such as Poe and Anabelle, but I didn't find the story nearly engaging. And one thing I liked about the first season was the atmosphere. But that was gone in season 2. You could also tell that it was lower budget. I think it's a good observation of how much atmosphere means to a show.
Season 1 posed some great questions about what makes a human when your entire being is essentially found within a hard drive.

Season 2 didn’t.

Still, I enjoyed it for Poe and some of the supporting cast. But it was definitely a step down in my eyes.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I think the actors in season 2 were pretty solid but I wasn't as much of a fan of the new setting or plot.

The society portrayed in season one with all its ills was really interesting to watch unfold and was quite compelling.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:54 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:04 pm
Season 1 posed some great questions about what makes a human when your entire being is essentially found within a hard drive.

Season 2 didn’t.

Still, I enjoyed it for Poe and some of the supporting cast. But it was definitely a step down in my eyes.
Heh, that's a good summary. And season 2 felt much more action-focused. It honestly felt like something that could have been on the Sci-Fi Channel in the 90's at times.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Even though I presume it follows the source material, I felt having Kovacs find Falconer so soon, and introducing her as a present timeline character at all, shattered a lot of the mystique built up in the first season flashbacks. The complexity of the first season was what I loved about it, even if it could occasionally be hard to follow. The premise of downloaded consciousnesses would also have allowed it to (continue) to make interesting casting choices and hop timelines, even though I did judge this making it difficult to build bonds with some characters. (Maybe if it were it were more often used in hand with flashbacks, but it might be hard to get some actors to return for smaller roles. Also, unless written far in advance, spontaneous flashbacks feel insincere.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It doesn’t follow the source material.

Kovacs finding Quell was a ballsy move. The consequences his obsession and finding out about the inherent corruption of the stacks was interesting meta-story but it was a hard sell as the story levels didn’t both flow.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:11 pm Even though I presume it follows the source material, I felt having Kovacs find Falconer so soon, and introducing her as a present timeline character at all, shattered a lot of the mystique built up in the first season flashbacks.
Yeah, that's the way I felt while watching it. And come to think of it, it wasn't just the tonal shift, but the storytelling style.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wonder if they're going to half-ass it during the final season? Game of Thrones showrunners to adapt sci-fi epic The Three-Body Problem into Netflix series:
The duo are teaming with writer-producer Alexander Woo (True Blood) to tackle Liu Cixin's The Three-Body Problem trilogy, which depicts humanity’s first contact with an alien civilization. The saga's debut book was published to considerable acclaim in China in 2008, while an English translation by Ken Liu became the first Asian novel ever to win a Hugo Award for Best Novel in 2014. The New Yorker dubbed Liu "China's Arthur C. Clarke," referring to the 2001: A Space Odyssey screenwriter.

The cost of the series is sure to be substantial. In 2018, the Financial Times reported that Amazon Studios was making a heavy play for the rights to the novels, looking into potentially making a deal worth $1 billion — a figure that would even dwarf the company's initial investment in its upcoming The Lord of the Rings series. That the project ended up at Netflix despite such numbers floating around is really saying something (though one source described the $1 billion figure as overblown).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Best we can do is two and a half bodies.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:57 pm I wonder if they're going to half-ass it during the final season? Game of Thrones showrunners to adapt sci-fi epic The Three-Body Problem into Netflix series:
The duo are teaming with writer-producer Alexander Woo (True Blood) to tackle Liu Cixin's The Three-Body Problem trilogy, which depicts humanity’s first contact with an alien civilization. The saga's debut book was published to considerable acclaim in China in 2008, while an English translation by Ken Liu became the first Asian novel ever to win a Hugo Award for Best Novel in 2014. The New Yorker dubbed Liu "China's Arthur C. Clarke," referring to the 2001: A Space Odyssey screenwriter.

The cost of the series is sure to be substantial. In 2018, the Financial Times reported that Amazon Studios was making a heavy play for the rights to the novels, looking into potentially making a deal worth $1 billion — a figure that would even dwarf the company's initial investment in its upcoming The Lord of the Rings series. That the project ended up at Netflix despite such numbers floating around is really saying something (though one source described the $1 billion figure as overblown).
I like it since it means I won't have to read the books, which got mixed reviews.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They already made a movie of his novel The Wandering Earth. I thought it was fun, but it wasn't terribly well received, if I remember correctly. Let's hope they do it right this time.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:10 pm They already made a movie of his novel The Wandering Earth. I thought it was fun, but it wasn't terribly well received, if I remember correctly. Let's hope they do it right this time.
Yeah, that movie wasn't good.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've been getting addicted to Dark. I like that it's low-key, and it's got a pretty fun mystery running through it. On the second season now.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.