Portal.....Im done

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Portal.....Im done

Post by Daehawk »

Yes that's right. I just now got around to playing and finishing Portal...the first one. 19 lvls flew by. I still do not see what the fuss was about. It took me a good 4 tries to get into it enough to play and finish it. And after having finished it I dont see whats special about it. I'd rate it a 7 maybe. Perhaps it's just not for me. At least Im done. Only took me 6 years :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Canuck

Re: Portal.....Im done

Post by Canuck »

Imagine how amazing it would have felt had you played it 6 years ago.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

It was notable for making a puzzle game that appeals to both casual and hardcore gamers and for putting compelling characters and narrative into that puzzle game. At the time the portal based puzzles were also very new and clever.

I thought Portal was very good but Portal 2 improved on everything I loved in the original and made it about 10x better.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Canuck wrote:Imagine how amazing it would have felt had you played it 6 years ago.
I tried. A couple times. Hated it. Im not a puzzle person though.

I love the shooters though and the episodes and mods for them. Im still waiting on ep 3.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Are you sure you actually finished it?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Archinerd wrote:Are you sure you actually finished it?
Well I kicked the bots butt, ended up outside, and got dragged back in and had some birthday cake.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Daehawk wrote:
Archinerd wrote:Are you sure you actually finished it?
Well I kicked the bots butt, ended up outside, and got dragged back in and had some birthday cake.
Mind the spoilers, dude.

:wink:
-mf
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

It's ok. Daehawk was literally the last one to finish it. :)
RLMullen

Post by RLMullen »

Canuck wrote:It's ok. Daehawk was literally the last one to finish it. :)
I never finished it. I still don't know what the whole "cake is a lie" meme is about.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I never finished it. I've got it, somewhere, and made it a few levels in but didn't find it overly compelling. Amusing and cute, in it's own way, but that wasn't enough to pull me forward.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I didn't get Portal either until I hit a certain test chamber...and everything changed. I know for many people it was all about figuring out the puzzles. For me, it was the story and it took me by complete surprise as I wasn't expecting it to be a story game at all. My thoughts on Portal 2 are the same -- the puzzles were the secondary element to the narrative.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
morlac

Post by morlac »

Never started it. It's in my backlog with about 800 other games just waiting for me to be stranded on a tropical island with electricity, internet access and a waterfall that flows with Dr. Pepper.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote:I didn't get Portal either until I hit a certain test chamber...and everything changed. I know for many people it was all about figuring out the puzzles. For me, it was the story and it took me by complete surprise as I wasn't expecting it to be a story game at all. My thoughts on Portal 2 are the same -- the puzzles were the secondary element to the narrative.
Same for me. It was all about atmosphere and story. And Glados. And the end credits.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I got to the end but never actually completed it as the timed segment was frustrating.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

Outside of some random console gaming evenings with my son I've pretty much been away from gaming for about five years now, and only recently started playing again. I started and finished this one a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed the dimension-bending, puzzle-solving element of the game, and the atmosphere as well.

Sure seemed like a quick game, though. Either that or five years of not playing games has turned me into a much better gamer than I used to be.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Godzilla Blitz wrote:Outside of some random console gaming evenings with my son I've pretty much been away from gaming for about five years now, and only recently started playing again. I started and finished this one a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed the dimension-bending, puzzle-solving element of the game, and the atmosphere as well.

Sure seemed like a quick game, though. Either that or five years of not playing games has turned me into a much better gamer than I used to be.
Not just you. It flew by. When I was at the end on the last puzzle it said 19/19 when I looked. i couldn't believe it. I felt like I had done maybe 9 or so.
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

Daehawk wrote:
Godzilla Blitz wrote:Outside of some random console gaming evenings with my son I've pretty much been away from gaming for about five years now, and only recently started playing again. I started and finished this one a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed the dimension-bending, puzzle-solving element of the game, and the atmosphere as well.

Not just you. It flew by. When I was at the end on the last puzzle it said 19/19 when I looked. i couldn't believe it. I felt like I had done maybe 9 or so.
Did you try the extra content? I tried one of the modified (or difficult, or whatever they were called) levels, but they seemed much less fun. More of a "get-this-sequence-of-jumps-and-maneuvers-exactly-right-or-die" kind of thing. After about ten minutes of dying in the same vat of gooey slime I quit the game and just started bashing my head against a wall because it was more fun.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, it is short but keep in mind that it was never released as a full retail game. It was a small title originally released as part of a bundle (with Team Fortress 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode 2.) It wasn't available by itself for months, and was a bargain title when it was.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Did you try the extra content? I tried one of the modified (or difficult, or whatever they were called) levels, but they seemed much less fun. More of a "get-this-sequence-of-jumps-and-maneuvers-exactly-right-or-die" kind of thing. After about ten minutes of dying in the same vat of gooey slime I quit the game and just started bashing my head against a wall because it was more fun.
No. I was glad to be done with it and didn't want any more of it. Part 2 might be fun if I had someone to co-op with. otherwise Id never bother with it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I avoided Portal 2 as I also thought it was focused on playing co-op. While that might be true, once again I found myself really enjoying the story. I would absolutely recommend you pick up Portal 2 when it is on a ~$5 STEAM sale.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

The co-op campaign is completely separate from the main game. It’s actually a semi sequel to the main campaign. They also released a 2nd co-op campaign that is a direct sequel to that as well.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lordnine wrote:The co-op campaign is completely separate from the main game. It’s actually a semi sequel to the main campaign. They also released a 2nd co-op campaign that is a direct sequel to that as well.
This. And the 2nd co-op campaign was FREE!

I really enjoyed the Portal games. For me, while there were great "ah-ha!" moments when I solved a puzzle, the story, the voice acting, and the soundtrack (especially for Portal 2) were all what sealed the deal for me.
Hodor.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ha! I started Portal about 2 years ago, and have been playing off and on every few months. I think I am approaching the end, but every once in a while I come across a part that stumps me just enough for me to put it in the back of the "active games" rotation so my unconscious can solve the problem while I play other stuff. :D

At my current pace, I should finish it in about 3 years. WOOT! Can't wait for the ending that I have heard so much about!!
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

That's gonna be some stale cake.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh and this 'the cake is a lie' thing I'd seen online for years? I always thought it was something about The Matrix till I played this game.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

...have you seen The Matrix?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A very long time ago.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I played Portal 2 on the 360 in co-op with my daughter. Great game that really lends itself to a co-op play.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Watching my 8 year old figure out Portal on her own. So fun. So proud.

She started taunting Glados after about 5 levels in, and really dislikes her by level 9-- "You stupid computer, that was too easy!"

LOL
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I gave up when I got to a level I couldn't figure out. Maybe if I can find a walkthrough...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:36 pm I gave up when I got to a level I couldn't figure out. Maybe if I can find a walkthrough...
I will one up you. I gave up when I got to a level I couldn't figure out, even after watching a walkthrough video of the level. :D I actually think my save was bugged and being the fickle gamer that I am with a ridonkulous backlog, I simply moved on rather than start over. It was pretty good while it lasted, but not really my thing.

OTOH, it remains installed, so in my gaming world, that means I have definite plans to finish it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I bought it 10 years ago yesterday. I am pretty sure I started it once. Maybe I should try it. It appears I have Portal 2 as well.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I now have the two Portal games on Steam, but I originally played both on X360 and actually completed them, which is unusual for me and puzzle games. I think that it was the stories that kept me going, that and especially in Portal 2, the incredible layout of the world you were playing in.

Sadly I don't see to have the patience, energy or enthusiasm for puzzle games any more; I've given up on Opus Magnum and Poly Bridge, although I'm pretty sure I'll go back to the latter and complete more levels. I do have some idea of replaying the original two Portals while my wife is busy during tax season, but we'll see.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Wed May 15, 2013 9:06 pm Oh and this 'the cake is a lie' thing I'd seen online for years? I always thought it was something about The Matrix till I played this game.
Are you sure you aren't thinking of spoons?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

A finely crafted sentence, well worth the seven years of toil and tireless effort!
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I picture you slaving away at a typewriter, overflowing waste basket next to you as you type and retype this sentence. You haven't slept a proper night in years. "No, no, NO!" you say, your head in your hands. "Why does this vex me so?"

You pace your study, pulling volumes off the shelf, Melville, Aristotle, Joyce, looking for that elusive inspiration that will bring your task to completion, but none comes.

Suddenly, September 1st of all days, you settle down in front of the typewriter, ready for another fruitless day staring at a blank sheet of paper, when finally, FINALLY the long-awaited for inspiration hits. Your fingers move as if by magic, spelling out the phrase, "Are you sure you aren't thinking of spoons?"

When the last punctuation mark is completed, you pull your trembling fingers back as your eyes well with tears. You gently pull the paper out of the typewriter, smiling. "I have done it," you whisper, a barely audible rasp. "That'll show that asshole Daehawk."
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:clap:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Papa Smurph

Re: Portal.....Im don

Post by Papa Smurph »

Interesting. I see it differently... on a day... 13 years ago...

A man: Sharp, well-dressed and handsome walks into a well appointed living room. A woman reminiscent of Aphrodite is sitting on the leather couch, while a servant polishes her fingernails. She looks over at the man as he enters the room, flashes him a sparkling smile and says “hello, my love!” He walks over, gives her a kiss, and sits down at a nearby computer. It’s only a few minutes later when he gasps, and a muffled “the cake is a lie... the Matrix?... fuck that Daehawk” slips out of his mouth. He frowns, perhaps for the first time in his perfect life.

The scene fades to black, and comes back. We see now a much older man: seemingly decades have passed, but we know somehow that it’s only been 13 years. The man... is different. His hair is balding, yes. His trim athletic figure has given way to a pot bellied, hunched figure. His custom tailored suit has been traded in for a dirty wife-beater and sweatpants. But, it’s the eyes that haunt you, the dead look in them. He is hunched over the same computer as before, and he keeps mumbling something as he types, then deletes, then types, then deletes. He’s a human version of M.C. Escher’s Penrose stairs: ascending and descending but never finding resolution.

The once immaculate living room is now covered in spider webs and dust. The leather couch upon which his beautiful wife once rested her perfect, round but toned ass is now faded and cracked... and empty. His wife left him years ago, but he doesn’t care. Hasn’t cared about anything in a decade except The Post. The perfect post, the one that would fix it all. The post that would finally put that man in his place, the post the would deftly show in glorious, shinning bright light the overwhelming ignorance of believing the cake was in the Matrix. The cake was a lie, after all! The Matrix was a trick, but not a lie. Although... maybe... no, cannot think that! The cake is a lie, the Matrix had no cake! No cake for you! No cake... for me...

Suddenly, the man sits up straight, for the first time in years his spine is not bent. He is not bent - he is elated! He looks up at his crumbling ceiling and shouts “the spoon was a lie!” A mad, cackling giggle crescendos around the room. Then, suddenly it stops! The man leans forward again and rapid key presses are heard, for about 5 seconds. Then, silence. The man stares in awe at the computer screen... a bead of sweat forming on his forehead. He stares for what seems like days, months... but is only a few hours. Then, gripping the mouse (the computer mouse, not the desiccated mouse corpse lying near his hand) — fingers locked in a death grip upon the very object of his salvation — he moves the mouse slowly... slowly... ever closer. Until, with a final, triumphant grunt, he clicks the mouse button, his will electronically sent into the heart of the computer. A single click, the click of ages, the click heard around the world! Submit!

‘Are you sure you aren't thinking of spoons?”