Crusader Kings III - The Sequel You Have Been Waiting For

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Crusader Kings III - The Sequel You Have Been Waiting For

Post by jztemple2 »

Freyland wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:35 pm I guess what I mean is it seems lacking in a combat component. I of course respect that a fortification doesn't just roll over (usually), but there doesn't seem to be any martial factors involved, just waiting.
Most medieval seiges didn't have much combat. The attacker would surround and isolate the castle, leaving the beseiged to slowly starve and die of disease. If the attacker needs the seige to be resolved sooner he might dig tunnels to undermine the walls and then launch an assault, which is covered in CKIII by a button which launches that assault. There is a provision in CKIII for seige engines to help with the seige. CKIII follows the same concept that CKII did, with battles and seiges handled in a somewhat abstract manner. Most of CKIII would seem to be focused on being a ruler much more than being a general.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Holman

Post by Holman »

Freyland wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:35 pm I guess what I mean is it seems lacking in a combat component. I of course respect that a fortification doesn't just roll over (usually), but there doesn't seem to be any martial factors involved, just waiting.
In CK2, sieges were a countdown but there were various modifiers on an advancement die roll every month. (For example, harsh weather gave the defenders an advantage while military tech levels favored the attacker.) It was possible to be confident that your force would be better at siegecraft than some gang of steppe horsemen.

Is this not that?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Holman wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:18 pm
In CK2, sieges were a countdown but there were various modifiers on an advancement die roll every month. (For example, harsh weather gave the defenders an advantage while military tech levels favored the attacker.) It was possible to be confident that your force would be better at siegecraft than some gang of steppe horsemen.

Is this not that?
Having not played the second, I'm ignorant. What you described sounds fine. Do opponents ever sally forth?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Freyland wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:02 pm Having not played the second, I'm ignorant. What you described sounds fine. Do opponents ever sally forth?
They did in CKII and I would assume the same would happen in CKIII. It's one of the reasons you need a beseiging force larger than the beseiged one.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

That seemed to add a lot of needless complication.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Freyland wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:40 pm That seemed to add a lot of needless complication.
That should be their motto.
I no longer post here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Paradroid wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:44 pm
Freyland wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:40 pm That seemed to add a lot of needless complication.
That should be their motto.
Religion does add complexity, but it was an essential part of the life of any ruler of the period. No matter how powerful a ruler you might be, the Church (or regional equivalent) has to be a constant consideration. Unless of course you start your own religion!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Not the having the religion. The micromanagement, particularly caring about who has what variant of your religion, etc. Realism? Sure. Gameplay trumps.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Crusader Kings 3 FAQ, updated August 26th. Look for the ♛ symbol for new updates.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

CK3 Dev Diary #16 - Tutorials and Tooltips and Encyclopedias, Oh My!
I am not going to go through every piece of information here, as that is best served by going through the tutorial yourself once the game is released than me parroting the text here. But suffice to say it will give you a good starting grasp on how to use the UI and the core mechanics to get you started and playing.

One of the new features in CK3 is Tooltips in Tooltips, the aim of this is that relevant information can just be a mouse move away whenever you see blue highlighted text in game. Instead of making you need to dig through a wiki to find out what a Game Concept means you can just mouse over it and get an explanation!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Reviews are out, ahead of tomorrow's launch.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:53 am Crusader Kings 3 FAQ, updated August 26th. Look for the ♛ symbol for new updates.
The FAQ makes this game sound amazing.
♛ In what different ways can we kill our character?
► Murder, stabbing, killed in war, succumbing to disease, suicide and more. You should find your options... Satisfactory.
Will there be an option for lepers to hide their faces behind masks ?
► The masks are used by disfigured characters by default. If you're using the option to hide graphical looking diseases they would be worn by lepers as well. It's a good idea to make them selectable in the barbershop though, I'll note that down.
Will Magyar paganism have the same holy sites as Tengrism?
► No they have their own
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:09 pm Will Magyar paganism have the same holy sites as Tengrism?
► No they have their own
Thank goodness! I've been laying awake nights worrying that Tengrism wouldn't get its due presentation :D

Still awaiting my key from Green Man Gaming. Not that I'm anxious or anything :? . Only one time did they fail to deliver a key early enough to allow a pre-load or at least starting downloading when everyone else did. I hope this won't be the second time.
Max Peck wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:08 pm Reviews are out, ahead of tomorrow's launch.
Since I've already pre-ordered I'm not bothering with reviews, instead I'll just be posting my own impressions. Sadly, since we are only on page 2 of this thread, it might be awhile before page 6 pops up and I can start posting! :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

While I'm not really paying attention to the usual review sites mentioned above, I do usually check out reviews from strategygamer.com. Here is their review of CKIII. And a quote:
Despite these few grievances, Crusader Kings III is undoubtedly one of – if not the – best strategy releases of the past few years. By building on the Game of Thrones-style drama and intrigue that its predecessor excelled at, it makes for engrossing gameplay that combines the best of the grand strategy and RPG genres. With Paradox pushing hard to make CK3 much more accessible to an unfamiliar mainstream audience, there has never been a better time to take a leap and see why this series has inspired such a dedicated fanbase.

While it may not yet have all the bells and whistles of its predecessor, this is possibly the most polished a mainline Paradox title has ever been at launch.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Bored? Don't have anything interesting to do tonight? Check out this post on Reddit, I put together a Document (286 pages) for Crusader Kings 3 with all the Information from the Dev Diaries, calling it "The Development of Crusader Kings 3"

It is available as a PDF for download from that Reddit page.

Sample:
Enlarge Image
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The wait is over. I'm watching the launch stream on Twitch while installing it on Steam.

That was fast. A 1.8G download is postively quaint these days.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

If CK 3 is more accessible to a new player I'm willing to give it a go. I tried CK 2 once but I think after getting bogged down in some of the mechanics I walked away from it.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

As it's part of the Xbox gamepass I'll give it a shot. I really had a hard time getting into the last one even if I liked it a lot. It's just so much to figure out that it's not easy to pick up and play. Need to see fro the reviews if this is an improvement in that regard.

*Edit*
Just read the review and this part makes me happy pants...

WELCOME TO TUTORIAL ISLAND
Probably the most drastic change from the previous game is the concerted push Paradox has made this time around to make the game more accessible to new players. Crusader Kings II was a lot of things, but easy to pick up was not one of them. After eight years of DLC, the game bloated with features buried in a fetid swamp of UI menus. With this new instalment, Paradox has taken some concrete steps to make the game less intimidating to a more mainstream audience.

Unlike its predecessor, the tutorial is much more thorough this time around. New players begin in the relative safety of Ireland in 1066, lord of a small, manageable domain. The tutorial is clear, concise, and comprehensive enough to give a new player their bearings. Importantly, though, while it holds your hand at the start, it leaves you relatively free to play around in Ireland's seclusion, learning firsthand the woes of early-game inheritance laws.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:horse:
$iljanus wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:14 pm If CK 3 is more accessible to a new player I'm willing to give it a go. I tried CK 2 once but I think after getting bogged down in some of the mechanics I walked away from it.
I told you repeatedly at the time, there IS NO "Any key". Sheesh.
Covfefe!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, not yet playing, but fulfilling my husbandly duties by spending part of the afternoon watching "Yankee Doodle Dandy" with my wife :D

Impressions later today, meanwhile the release trailer!

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, finally got an hour in and finished the tutorial. A nice introduction, but still far away from grasping everything. That will come with more playing of course.

Another good Paradox post, Important Info: Known Issues, FAQ, Wiki & Bug Reports
On this page you will find links to important information about Crusader Kings III, such as the currently known issues, our FAQ located on our Wiki, where to file a bug report, the system requirements of the game and much more! We will keep the list of Currently Known Issues up-to-date!
Meanwhile, I have found out that my aunt, who is also my Spymaster, is also a Godless Adventurer. Who knew? :D

Here are the current known issues:
Currently Known Issues

Issues that can be fixed by users

[Compatibility][Win 8.1] Title fails to launch on Win 8.1 until Windows Update is run. This issue is resolved by the player running Windows Update
[Compatibility] Out of date drivers can cause the map zoom to ‘lock’ and only zoom in/out on Coat of Arms. This issue is resolved by the player updating their drivers
[Mac] Paradox launcher not opening when playing from Steam on macOS Catalina. Resolution: Verifying game files (send crash files via our bug reports)

Issues under investigation

[Plaza] [Linux] No Achievements available on PDX Plaza on Linux
[Engine] [Map Editor] [CTD] – Repacking a heightmap leads to constant crashes (affects modders)
[Achievements] Saves are not compatible with any achievement that requires Players to start as specific Character
[Save File] Changing data in one of the save files will disable Load Game functionality
[Camera] Camera can turn black and rotate entirely out of view if you have a controller plugged in
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is a nice touch for CKIII (click to enlarge)

Enlarge Image

It shows the current situation, which is where I am after the scripted part of the tutorial, and also offers a suggestion of what to do next. That suggestion has to do with a vassal I acquired by conquering his county, which means he has a bad opinion of me. So the game suggests I use a Personal Scheme to get him to like me better, or rather hate me less.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Paradox, but I'll say this for them: they know how to do tooltips.
I no longer post here.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I'm pissed. I saw that this was available on XBOX Game Pass and got all excited. Then I realized it's only XBOX Game Pass for PC. What a stupid name. Don't call it XBOX Game Pass if it's not accessible on the XBOX. Stupid Microsoft and their stupid naming . . . :x
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

One of the things that frustrated me in CKII and I see is going to frustrate me in CKIII is that I never seem to know what to do with the members of my court, the courtiers and guests. Anyone have some suggestions about things that I can do with them that help with my rule?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:06 pm This is a nice touch for CKIII (click to enlarge)

Enlarge Image

It shows the current situation, which is where I am after the scripted part of the tutorial, and also offers a suggestion of what to do next. That suggestion has to do with a vassal I acquired by conquering his county, which means he has a bad opinion of me. So the game suggests I use a Personal Scheme to get him to like me better, or rather hate me less.
Is that just part of the scripted tutorial? Or does the game include helpful hints like that outside the tutorial?

I started it earlier today and played for about an hour. They really did up their game on teaching the mechanics in a way that works well and makes sense.
Covfefe!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:51 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:06 pm This is a nice touch for CKIII (click to enlarge)

Enlarge Image

Is that just part of the scripted tutorial? Or does the game include helpful hints like that outside the tutorial?
That is outside the tutorial, because I've played for awhile more and that box with issues and suggestions has been updating. It is very helpful now, although I'm waiting to see some more mundane suggestions, like that I can now start building a new building in my holding, stuff like that. I'll post about those if they occur.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:51 pm

Enlarge Image

That is outside the tutorial, because I've played for awhile more and that box with issues and suggestions has been updating. It is very helpful now, although I'm waiting to see some more mundane suggestions, like that I can now start building a new building in my holding, stuff like that. I'll post about those if they occur.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This just happened, I had an Advice pop-up, err, pop up to give me the "rundown" on schemes.
Enlarge Image

Clicking on the pop-up gave me this window which started the lesson on schemes.
Enlarge Image

I'm assuming this is part of the tutorial, but it is nice that instead of dumping it all on me early in the tutorial playthrough they have broken it up so I was able to play for awhile to start getting the feel of things.

Also, I had a good situation that illustrates a new (I think it's new) feature of CKIII. I had captured a knight of an opponent who now is my vassal. By simply releasing the knight, instead of having my former opponent, now my vassal, pay me ransom, I gained a "weak hook" (IE, owes me a favor) on my new vassal. I used that weak hook to gain an increase in the levy he owes to me without incurring the usual penalty of a temporary negative rating towards me. Cool :D
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I caught part of a stream this afternoon that mentioned that once you complete the tutorial, if you continue on with that playthrough then the game will continue to offer up additional information/tips as you go along, as a sort of extension to the tutorial.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mine got bugged out somehow. My spy tried to poison herself. I gave up and started a new game after that. Played for like 3 hours and didn't see anything else off like that. Shrug... Way easier to get the basics in this one.

Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I couldn't resist and picked this up. After about 5 false starts, I finally succeeded in creating the Duchy of Igboland in Africa. Now I really need to get some alliances in place before I get steamrolled by the neighbors...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:06 pm I caught part of a stream this afternoon that mentioned that once you complete the tutorial, if you continue on with that playthrough then the game will continue to offer up additional information/tips as you go along, as a sort of extension to the tutorial.
That's what I'm doing, playing as Petty King Murchad of Munster in southern Ireland in the tutorial to start and then continuing that character. I started with one domain and two vassals, I now am ready to declare myself King of Ireland, with a hefty cash outlay of course :roll:. Really enjoying the game so far. It helps that Murchad is a pretty martial character so I've got an unbeatable army. My concern right now is that my wife has just given me a third son and with confederate partition inheritance in place, I have to give all male children titles.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Loving the game so far too.

Back in the real world, my company is in good shape, but because of cash flow problems thanks to Republican intransigence I got furloughed again for this week to save some money, but at least thanks to that I have a free week to do nothing but play this. :|

I did the tutorial, but decided to take up the reins of Muster in the 867 start, and have managed to pull myself up from one of many Irish counts to the leader of the Irish culture and holder of two Duchies. There are viking hordes on all sides, and they've nearly completely overrun England, but I've managed to keep on good terms with them and am strong enough now they leave me be. Just have to hope once my first lord dies his son can keep relations going. He's not as much a diplomat as his father, but he's a great general and fairly strong overall.

I think my favorite addition to the game so far is the knights in battle. It always felt weird back when martial skill was a substitute for skill with a blade, and I love how they've taken that further and formalized the combat system between characters during battles. Makes it a little bloody at times, but as long as I'm careful to only let the true warriors among my court fight in battle things tend to turn out well. I got lucky when I first made a call for champions and I have 3 absolute badasses that do a good job of slicing up the opposing leaders for me.

I've seen a few AI quirks and bugs here and there, like raiders not paying attention to when provinces have massive standing armies waiting in them before they go raiding, but given how complex the game is on the whole, I'd say it's been largely bug free.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It's the beginning of 1078. I've become High King of Ireland, with only one more county to conquer to hold all of the island. However, conquering some of the previous counties have raised a new problem, I have five powerful feudal vassals who all want council seats but only four seats for them. I can solve this by transferring my title of the Petty Kingdom of Munster to one of my vassals, which would transfer one of the other of my vassals to become his vassal. Trouble is, this would make this new Petty King of Munster vassal a very powerful Petty King in his own right. While giving him this title would make him have a vastly higher opinion of me, well, I worry. That's what a good king does, worry :roll:
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I would rather have a likely troublemaker with little power than a possible troublemaker with lots of power.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Freyland wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:24 pm I would rather have a likely troublemaker with little power than a possible troublemaker with lots of power.
Too late now :D. Actually my new Petty King of Munster has a very high opinion of me. I'll let my heirs worry about that when it decays :roll:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The good news, Ireland is united under me!
Enlarge Image

The bad news, I have a court full of deviants!
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here's an example of a suggestion, actually I have two suggestions there, but only one moused over. I'm assuming that any new game I play will have this suggestion system. I haven't gotten that many suggestions yet, but I'm hoping with updates the devs will be able to tweak the AI to give me more.

Enlarge Image

Update: Oops, that's actually not a good suggestion, since the county the AI is suggesting I grant is a county where my capital is located and I cannot grant it away :roll: