Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Was watching a bike delivery stream in NYC and he picked up some food from a place. The hamburger had tomato and onion only and was $16. I can get a loaded burger here for $3. Cost of NYC living is crazy. Not as bad as some cities I guess(San Fran) but still crazy compared to here.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My son completed his Eagle Project this weekend. Well, he still has some paperwork. Now he just needs to complete 4 merit badges.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

hentzau wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:58 am My son completed his Eagle Project this weekend. Well, he still has some paperwork. Now he just needs to complete 4 merit badges.
Way to go Son of Hentzau!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I was visiting my folks and my dad showed me my 2nd grade report card from 1992. I'm beginning to think my teacher had a sarcastic side my eight-year-old self wasn't aware of....

He makes valiant efforts to interact with his peers. He continues to work on how to deal with new situations and/or stressful ones.
Translation: He's just a mess socially. Clear indicators for social anxiety disorder and/or avoidant personality disorder.

Sudy continues to enjoy writing stories using inventive spelling.
Yes, I know that's a term in education theory. But I'm pretty sure she's just accusing me of making shit up.

He thought of a variety of ways to complete gymnastics tasks.
??? I have only vague memories of anything gymnastics related, but I'm trying to piece together that this means. I'm imagining pretzel-esque contortion, but I was never very flexible.

Sudy enjoyed learning folk dances and should consider joining the Primary Folk Dance Club next year.
More lies. Mercifully, we moved to a new school that didn't have folk dance clubs that summer.

During the small-group DInosaur activities, Sudy was as interested in the technical workings of the tape recorder and filmstrip viewer as he was in the information they gave him about dinosaurs.
Translation: This boy is doomed to a lifetime of preferring the company of machines to people and will likely work in a tech-adjacent field.

Under the header "Special Comments From The Teacher":
Sudy has really made good use of the classroom computer this year.
See above.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mine probably said I had the attention span of a fire cracker and was a daydreamer.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

remember that little 10 year old British girl drummer that played Dave Grohl stuff and checkmated him? I cant find the post. Anyways he responded and met her challenge and re challenged her.

https://mashable.com/article/dave-grohl ... i-bushell/
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

There'll be a centuries younger Yoda in Star Wars: The High Republic comic then the one Luke knew.

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars- ... unger-yoda

While we first met Jedi Master Yoda in his later years, Star Wars: The High Republic will give fans of that galaxy far, far away a chance to learn more about him centuries before the events of the Skywalker Saga.

As revealed by StarWars.com, Yoda will feature "prominently" in Daniel José Older's Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures comic in 2021, however, he won't be "quite the same sage-like being we know."
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My state gov are hard live republicans and as such very anti marijuana...for any reason. They have done their best to ignore it and stuff. This year they were passing a bill to allow medical use but one fucking prick senator added an amendment that it only would if the US Gov moved it to schedule 2 or better. He figured the US would never do that. But now the US Gov is trying to decriminalize it totally off the schedule lists. Lol. So we might get lucky...one day.

https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/42572745/h ... -september
Decriminalizing marijuana at a federal level might become a reality as the U.S. House of Representatives prepares to vote on the historic effort next month.

The U.S. House of Representatives will vote on The Marijuana Opportunity, Reinvestment, and Expungement Act (MORE) in September.

Under the new bill, marijuana would be removed from the Controlled Substances Act, instead of leaving it up to the states on whether or not to legalize the drug. Neither chamber of Congress has ever voted on removing marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act before.
Of course they'd still need those old out of date goats in the Senate to pass it too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Since I wont have a cable box any longer Im considering moving my PS4 from my PC to the TV spot. Trouble is my monitor is on top of it and at eye level. If I move the PS4 then the monitor will drop that much down. It was there before the PS4 so guess Id get used to it.

On the plus side it being at the TV would mean I could hear the games. Might even get me to play RDR2. One day.
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hahaha how'd you like to be a pilot flying at about 3000 feet and 500 mph only to look outside and see a guy beside you sans airplane.

https://www.ign.com/articles/fbi-invest ... t-pack-man
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You could always order a phone book.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

huh?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:48 pm If I move the PS4 then the monitor will drop that much down.
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:54 pm You could always order a phone book.
For years, I used an Amiga 3000 to perch my old CRT monitor at just the right height.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh I see. I haven't gotten a phone book in many years. They do give me a think yellow pages every so often. I miss the days of phone books. Not many land lines to make a phone book useful.

My cable box, xbox360, and broken surround player sit on top of a large block of wood and a shoebox. Makes them high enough to use at the foot of the bed. I left the broken sound system there for the added height. Always needed a little more height for the tv but never found anything so gave up.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I believe that Isg is saying that the phone company will send you a phone book if you request one. But I don't know for sure. I've never investigated that.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I believe that Isg was making a joke about piling things atop other things. Surely you must have unpiled things that could be piled.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dreams and sad tears.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:23 am
Unagi wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:15 am What did I just see?
My guess.
Just noticed an orange bucket 'ready for pickup' again on my neighbors front steps.

I hope to intercept the driver and ask him what the business is... (without my neighbor witnessing my noseyness)

So it's either every 2 weeks, on Wednesdays -- or it's every week and I just missed it last week.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:02 am
My guess.
Just noticed an orange bucket 'ready for pickup' again on my neighbors front steps.

I hope to intercept the driver and ask him what the business is... (without my neighbor witnessing my noseyness)

So it's either every 2 weeks, on Wednesdays -- or it's every week and I just missed it last week.
Missing a week! You are a horrible PI. ;)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I think today is the final appointment for my knee . its been 8 months since I tore my ACL, It feels like forever. By the way, I was staying in the house and ordering delivery groceries before it was cool.

It still hurts, basically all the time. They tell me that its not supposed to be like that, but I strongly suspect I am old, and its just going to hurt for the rest of my life. I have brace thing JAS that I wear when I can. Its like a personal RACK, and it stretches my knee, supposedly back into the right shape or whatever. its huge and difficult to wear, since I don't really fit properly into a chair when its on. Then I twist the dial to force my leg straight, or straighter, and leave it like that for half an hour or so.

I am bicycling again, which is great. I can jog on the treadmill. I tried jogging on the street, that was really painful.
Doing good with the squats and lunges and leg lifts and all the other PT stuff.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:21 am
My guess.

there is a very good chance I miss the pick-up too. :(
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:52 am
My guess.

Kind of feels like you're not really committed to this endeavor. Is that what I'm dealing with - someone who's not willing to go that extra mile?? You have kids, no? Get them out there and stalking the neighbors like any self respecting kid from the 50s. And you have a webcam, right? Point it at the neighbor and make Putin proud.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:36 am I think today is the final appointment for my knee . its been 8 months since I tore my ACL, It feels like forever. By the way, I was staying in the house and ordering delivery groceries before it was cool.

It still hurts, basically all the time. They tell me that its not supposed to be like that, but I strongly suspect I am old, and its just going to hurt for the rest of my life. I have brace thing JAS that I wear when I can. Its like a personal RACK, and it stretches my knee, supposedly back into the right shape or whatever. its huge and difficult to wear, since I don't really fit properly into a chair when its on. Then I twist the dial to force my leg straight, or straighter, and leave it like that for half an hour or so.

I am bicycling again, which is great. I can jog on the treadmill. I tried jogging on the street, that was really painful.
Doing good with the squats and lunges and leg lifts and all the other PT stuff.
I think we can all agree that this pandemic thing is worth it just for how much better my knees are feeling. I had my right knee cleaned out a few years ago because something-or-other was torn and it wasn't worth trying to repair it. The doc noted that I had some arthritis in there, and if it had been much worse he probably wouldn't have bothered with the surgery. It still wasn't great after the surgery - pain, occasional limp - but it was at least better than before. Then my left knee started bugging me about a year ago. I was considering whether I wanted to look into surgery there when we went into lockdown.

Suddenly, I'm not walking from my house to the train stop anymore. I'm not walking with my messenger bag style briefcase slung over my shoulder so that my bag hits the back of my thighs when I walk. My knees no longer hurt. All thanks to COVID-19!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:58 am
Unagi wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:52 am
My guess.

Kind of feels like you're not really committed to this endeavor. Is that what I'm dealing with - someone who's not willing to go that extra mile?? You have kids, no? Get them out there and stalking the neighbors like any self respecting kid from the 50s. And you have a webcam, right? Point it at the neighbor and make Putin proud.
I missed it. :doh:
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i just saw this in an ad for a caffeine-delivery supplement or whatever:

"Endless WFH days call for endless cups of joe."

...erm, what? call it what it is - substance addiction. i seem to survive just fine WFH without even one serving of coffee a day.

(also, who are these people drinking coffee well into the afternoon? how do they sleep at night? or it's a self-perpetuating cycle...)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I'm one of those people :) I can drink coffee all day long and have no trouble sleeping whatsoever.
Brian

Post by Brian »

gilraen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:03 pm I'm one of those people :) I can drink coffee all day long and have no trouble sleeping whatsoever.
Same. I usually have 5-6 cups per day.
I've had two today so far and am thinking about getting another one right now.

Of course, I also don't really drink soda or alcohol except on rare occasions.
It's mostly coffee and water for me.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Brian

Post by Brian »

Oh, and it helps that the wife sells Java Momma

Oh man do I love their coffees. Especially:

Enlarge Image
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Just finished my last coffee for the day (pot I made this morning is now empty).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Adding to my list of oddities, I've never had coffee (don't even like the smell, really).

I do drink soda - rarely these days - and have never had a problem having a Coke before bed.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Having just watched the episode where Tina gets addicted to coffee, I'm getting a real kick out of this discussion

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Somewhere in my mid 20s pots and pots of coffee plus sometimes Coke turned into 3+ 20 Cokes a day and no Coffee. In my mid 30s I went back to Coffee to cut calories. Coke is a very rare restaurant beverage with a meal nowadays. I try to stop drinking coffee by noon to 15:00 most days, not because I can't fall asleep to caffeine but because I am crazy light sleeper and now a crazy light sleeper with sleepapneia. Caffeine actually relaxes me and clears my head to help me fall asleep easier. I just don't get them good REMs sleeps like I should and I already don't get enough of them.

It used to be a wild night was drinking booze until 04:00 and working the next day. Now a wild night is having a pot of coffee in the evening, which I do still love love love and sometimes sacrifice them good REMs when I'm feeling particularly naughty on a Saturday.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I nurse a large cup o' joe all day on a cup heater, refilling it about 1/2 way once. My son and I used to go to coffee houses almost daily (playing constant chess games). Then one day he decided it was a bad thing and he walked away from the habit. But then he has always gone his own way.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I go thru close to a half gallon a day of iced tea. I quit once and got kidney stones. I started back up and have never had them again.My doctor says it should work the other way around.
Last edited by dbt1949 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A cup heater. I remember in the 90s seeing USB cup warmers and chillers. Used to want one thinking that would be neat. Never got one. No use these days...well maybe the chiller. In the 90s I just had a round wine like tote cooler I kept a beer in ice in at night for gaming.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I got a Mr. Coffee cup heater at a work gift exchange years ago. If you use a metal cup with a lid it works great - keeps warm ~8 hours without burning it.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:25 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:15 pm Well it's been like 18 month and I'm out of Naruto and out of Dragon Ball (boy, what a show that is not MeToo or stereotype friendly. I wonder if the bigotry would have seemed that flagrant to me 20 years ago) and it's been so long since I've watched much of anything else, I don't know what else to do. I tried some of the TiVo suggestion movies and as it turns out, unless I really want to see a movie, I don't have the attention span. I'm pretty hip on watching more anime (manga?) but I'm really in above my head. Naruto was really good. Dragon Ball just occupied the time. I loved me some One Punch Man, which I think it what pulled me in. I thought Attack on Titan has been fantastic to date and am eager to see where it goes. That's the extent of what I know. I need to do me some learning.
Cromartie High School - the animation is totally crap but it's actually kinda funny
So stupid me, I started watching Naruto again. That's gonna be it for me for the foreseeable future. Things I did not notice in the first viewing that really stick out for some reason, so far.

Spoiler? For such an old show that I missed the boat on?
Spoiler:
The amount of times someone says "he's fast"
The amount of times Nartuto references someone "making geography x great/great again"
That if you are an orphan with red hair, you will need to find your redemption when redemption is seemingly impossible. (orphans finding their way is a ubiquitous theme, but red hair... There are only two orphans in nigh on a thousand episodes in more desperate need of finding their way than the red haired orphans)