Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

I have a Mr Coffee cup heater right here. I used to drink a ton of coffee, between a pot and a half and to pots per day. It got to the point where I felt like I was permanently sedated. My brain had so many blocked receptors that I was producing sleep hormones non-stop. I'd sleep for eight hours, sure, but I've read enough to know that kind of sleep isn't 'good' sleep.

It took me a month or so to wean myself off. I went caffeine free for a couple of years, then turned to tea (black tea has about half the caffeine of coffee.) I went caffeine free again during my cancer treatment when I couldn't keep any of it down, then returned to tea and haven't looked back. For years now I've had five or six cups of green tea per day. Each cup has about 1/4 - 1/3 of the caffeine of coffee, and the stimulant curve isn't as spikey. For the past year or so I've been allowing mysefl one black tea per day, usually in the afternoon, and I don't drink any caffeine past 9, about four hours before I go to bed.

The nice thing about tea is that there are a huge number of varieties, from lapsang suchong to darjeeling to English breakfast teas, and almost as many varieties of green tea.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Our society only lets us have four legal drugs: caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, and THC. If you aren't maximizing your intake of all four, you missed the whole point of living.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I don't know why they don't olde people have pain drugs. We ain't got much longer to live and who cares if we over do it. It's not like it's going to ruin our lives.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:48 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:25 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:15 pm Well it's been like 18 month and I'm out of Naruto and out of Dragon Ball (boy, what a show that is not MeToo or stereotype friendly. I wonder if the bigotry would have seemed that flagrant to me 20 years ago) and it's been so long since I've watched much of anything else, I don't know what else to do. I tried some of the TiVo suggestion movies and as it turns out, unless I really want to see a movie, I don't have the attention span. I'm pretty hip on watching more anime (manga?) but I'm really in above my head. Naruto was really good. Dragon Ball just occupied the time. I loved me some One Punch Man, which I think it what pulled me in. I thought Attack on Titan has been fantastic to date and am eager to see where it goes. That's the extent of what I know. I need to do me some learning.
Cromartie High School - the animation is totally crap but it's actually kinda funny
So stupid me, I started watching Naruto again. That's gonna be it for me for the foreseeable future. Things I did not notice in the first viewing that really stick out for some reason, so far.

Spoiler? For such an old show that I missed the boat on?
Spoiler:
The amount of times someone says "he's fast"
The amount of times Nartuto references someone "making geography x great/great again"
That if you are an orphan with red hair, you will need to find your redemption when redemption is seemingly impossible. (orphans finding their way is a ubiquitous theme, but red hair... There are only two orphans in nigh on a thousand episodes in more desperate need of finding their way than the red haired orphans)

I hear you can knock down One Piece in like a weekend...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When the early western explorers visited China what did they call the porcelain dinnerware?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:33 pm I got a Mr. Coffee cup heater at a work gift exchange years ago. If you use a metal cup with a lid it works great - keeps warm ~8 hours without burning it.
It takes you 8 hours to drink a cup of coffee?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:59 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:33 pm I got a Mr. Coffee cup heater at a work gift exchange years ago. If you use a metal cup with a lid it works great - keeps warm ~8 hours without burning it.
It takes you 8 hours to drink a cup of coffee?
At least. It's like a caffeine drip.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

since lockdown started, the amount of speeding/revving car and motorcycle engines in the evening hours around here has increased significantly. vrrroomVRROOMVROOOOOM for hours and hours - have to close the windows, it's so annoying
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:05 pm I hear you can knock down One Piece in like a weekend...
If it appeals to me and is not just popular let me get back to you way later. (Also I have to find where I can get it) Naruto just did such a fantastic job of creating a world and telling 20 year long story that wasn't just making it up as they went along... Except for the need to flashback to the same six or seven events again and again and again (which might not have been as brutal in weekly serialization as it is when you watch three episodes in an evening and often more on the weekends)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ha I was about to leave for town when I looked out the window. There is a family of wild turkeys in the front yard again. 3 large adults and 8 little younglings. Eating up a storm as they pass. Im waiting until they move on as I dont want to scare them away. The road is right past them and they could startle and get hit.

Ill try to post a pic or vid later when Im back home.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:41 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:05 pm I hear you can knock down One Piece in like a weekend...
If it appeals to me and is not just popular let me get back to you way later. (Also I have to find where I can get it) Naruto just did such a fantastic job of creating a world and telling 20 year long story that wasn't just making it up as they went along... Except for the need to flashback to the same six or seven events again and again and again (which might not have been as brutal in weekly serialization as it is when you watch three episodes in an evening and often more on the weekends)
Produced by Toei Animation, One Piece premiered in Japan on Fuji TV in October 1999, has aired over 900 episodes
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:13 am
LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:41 am
Produced by Toei Animation, One Piece premiered in Japan on Fuji TV in October 1999, has aired over 900 episodes
I saw that by wiki this morning. It's got all kinds of records set for what it is. That doesn't mean I'll like it. Viz has Naruto for free via some Hulu spinnoff, so I got to jump in and then found out how good of story it was (despite things I consider warts). This second viewing, I'm surprised to see how much groundwork for the 700ish episodes (minus a lot of "filler" and a lot of flashback repeated events) was laid so early. I don't know how much ahead the Manga was from the Anime but it was really like the creator had a large chunk the story told over the course more than a decade planned in detail from very beginning. That's gotta be the very definition of epic, doesn't it?

Having an avenue to discover worlds I'm missing is more reason to move to migrating paid for subscription on demand TV services over cable, I guess.

A question from the ignorant.... ?? Was DB(Z) a ripoff of Naruto or are all their similarities ubiquitous in Manga? DB(Z) felt like really cheap and lazy copy in all of the similarities it had to Naruto. Aside from training up "power" versus training to control your chakra, it's probably no more apparent than in Yoshi vs Jariya right down the nosebleeds induced from being a lech. That very well could be a culture thing that I'm wholly ignorant of but its interesting to see how much depth they put into it for Jairya and how it was just caricature to fill out Yoshi's existence.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All these people staying home more due to COVID are really having their driving skills impacted. I mean some of them drive like shit anyways. I had to blow my horn at two different people today. I think in my entire life Ive done that 4 times.

1st one was in a parking lot. Im waiting for their space. They back out then pull up a ways and I pull up to swing in but Im still having to wait on them. Then I see their back up lights come on and them start back. They are about 3 feet from me when they do this. I blew the horn and they stopped and then took off. Ive had a woman at a stop sign go into reverse and back into our Trans-Am back in the day. Not wanting that to happen with the Mustang.

2nd one was at Dollar General We both turn into the parking lot..him in a huge pickup. He instantly turns left at the bottom of the parking lot and heads off that way. I go to the top of the aisles and start across....suddenly he just comes up the aisle and pulls of out making a left . I saw him and figured he'd stop..nope. Didn't look or stop. Just came on out. I hit the brakes and blew.

Morons. Or as my fellow Americans would say..morans.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

whenever people (usually some rando at the workplace) would try to describe their driving manoeuvres in relation to some near-accident or whatever, my ears just glaze over and i have no idea of what they saying, and i have no memory afterwards. i now tell them as they start 'not to be rude, but don't even bother finishing what you're saying'.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

At my best I was a mediocre driver. Most people think that because they have had no accidents they are a good driver. No, good drivers are the stunt drivers in movies and such.
In my olde age I don't belong on the road after dark and I make plenty of mistakes during the day too.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No, good drivers are the stunt drivers in movies and such.
I dont know. Those guys have a wreck every time they get behind the wheel.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Guy in India orders a few bags of rice. An entire truck filled with rice shows up. Hilarity ensues, superbly narrated by a third party.

Long thread, but made me literally :lol:

OMG my brother in law, the gift that never stops giving, was tired of being sent to get rice every day so he decided buy in bulk, talked to the shop about it, wires got crossed, now there is a literal TRUCK FILLED WITH RICE outside the house and my sister is losing her shit lmfao
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Oh that is funny!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As I posted last month my mortgage place took 2 payments from my bank when I only had enough to cover one. They refunded it 2 days later but they did not pay for my overdraft fee. Luckily the bank forgave that. I turned off auto draft with those shits.

Today I go to pay my mortgage manually online and along with the normal payment is a $25 NSF charge. Not sufficient funds. Ha! I removed it and then paid my normal amount. They are trying to charge me a fee because they tried to steal money from my bank account and it wasn't there. As if Ill ever pay that. If its on there again next month we're having more words.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:21 am As I posted last month my mortgage place took 2 payments from my bank when I only had enough to cover one. They refunded it 2 days later but they did not pay for my overdraft fee. Luckily the bank forgave that. I turned off auto draft with those shits.

Today I go to pay my mortgage manually online and along with the normal payment is a $25 NSF charge. Not sufficient funds. Ha! I removed it and then paid my normal amount. They are trying to charge me a fee because they tried to steal money from my bank account and it wasn't there. As if Ill ever pay that. If its on there again next month we're having more words.
Don't wait another month. Call today and get it resolved. A computer is sending these bills, not a human. That charge is not going to magically disappear.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I find it hard to believe my Yorkshire Terrors are descended from wolves.
Groundhogs maybe.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I told my 3 lb Chihuahua the other day he was a micro wolf.

Maybe you're little Yorkie is simply a 'Not So Dire Wolf'
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

There goes another switch. Thats what?....3 switches in 3 or 4 years? Not bad for them being about 70 years old. I have a spare as me and my wife bought 2 a couple years back when the 2nd one went out. Next town trip I better swing by Lowes or Home Depot and pick a few more up....just in case.

This one will be not fun at all to replace. Its in the middle of the house in her dad's old bedroom we turned into a storage room. Its dark in there even with the light in the next room on and the sun at a window in the other room. Going to have to sit my flashlight someplace. Wish I had a head mounted one.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
How Big Are Jack Reacher’s Hands?: An Investigation
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

a smallish turkey, a biggish chicken, a plate the size of a smallish turkey or a biggish chicken
Brian

Post by Brian »

A 12 Piece Chicken Nuggets combo meal, three to four cornish hens, or perhaps six or seven hummingbirds with adrenal gland issues.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
What Do Jack Reacher’s Fingers And Knuckles Look Like?: A Follow-Up Investigation
After someone compares Jack Reacher to Bigfoot, a police detective in Rapid City, South Dakota has to look up “bigfoot” in a search engine because she’s never heard of him.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:47 pm Going to have to sit my flashlight someplace. Wish I had a head mounted one.
Courtesy of the Best Headlamp guide from the Wirecutter, I suggest going with their budget pick if you can afford to do so:
TheWirecutter.com wrote:Enlarge Image

Vitchelo V800
Cheap but reliable

Though not quite as bright as some other lamps we tested, this headlamp is nonetheless a comfortable, simple-to-navigate option for around-the-house use at a fraction of its competitors’ prices.
$15 from Amazon

The Vitchelo V800 remains a good, low-cost choice: It’s easy to toggle between the red- and white-light settings (thanks to two separate buttons), and we liked the comfortable head strap. That said, we wished the light were brighter (it’s only 168 lumens) and we wanted a longer battery life, like that of the Spot 325. The V800 also has fewer features overall, and lacks the memory and locking modes we liked in our top pick. That said, this headlamp performed as well as competitors that were many times its price. If you need a low-cost headlamp for completing around-the-house chores, taking your dog on evening walks, or stepping out into the yard at night, this is a good option.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

A lot of people have got to postpone their rent for months thanks to the pandemic. When the pandemic is declared over and people are going to have to pay their back rent it's going to amount say 7 months at $700 a month which is $4900. (not counting late fees) What percentage of out of work or partially out of work or fully employed people are going to be able to pay that?
What are the landlords going to do?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:31 pm A lot of people have got to postpone their rent for months thanks to the pandemic. When the pandemic is declared over and people are going to have to pay their back rent it's going to amount say 7 months at $700 a month which is $4900. (not counting late fees) What percentage of out of work or partially out of work or fully employed people are going to be able to pay that?
What are the landlords going to do?
The question is, what is the government going to do? Because if nature capitalism takes its course and millions are suddenly made homeless, that's a catastrophe for the whole economy.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:02 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:47 pm Going to have to sit my flashlight someplace. Wish I had a head mounted one.
Courtesy of the Best Headlamp guide from the Wirecutter, I suggest going with their budget pick if you can afford to do so:

Vitchelo V800
Cheap but reliable

Though not quite as bright as some other lamps we tested, this headlamp is nonetheless a comfortable, simple-to-navigate option for around-the-house use at a fraction of its competitors’ prices.
$15 from Amazon

The Vitchelo V800 remains a good, low-cost choice: It’s easy to toggle between the red- and white-light settings (thanks to two separate buttons), and we liked the comfortable head strap. That said, we wished the light were brighter (it’s only 168 lumens) and we wanted a longer battery life, like that of the Spot 325. The V800 also has fewer features overall, and lacks the memory and locking modes we liked in our top pick. That said, this headlamp performed as well as competitors that were many times its price. If you need a low-cost headlamp for completing around-the-house chores, taking your dog on evening walks, or stepping out into the yard at night, this is a good option.
Thanks for the info. Ill grab one if I get a 2nd stimulus.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:30 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:02 pm

Vitchelo V800
Cheap but reliable

$15 from Amazon

Thanks for the info. Ill grab one if I get a 2nd stimulus.
I have some lighted caps left over from Curio City. PM me your address if you'd like one.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:45 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:30 pm Thanks for the info. Ill grab one if I get a 2nd stimulus.
I have some lighted caps left over from Curio City. PM me your address if you'd like one.
:clap: :handgestures-thumbup:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

What I really enjoy is when I'm sitting there pissed and my wife says "what I think you otta do is."
<sigh>
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just read where the majority of people under the age of 30 are living with their parents.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:39 pm Just read where the majority of people under the age of 30 are living with their parents.
Sometimes I wish I could move back in with mine.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Technically, we're living with a parent. But it's my mortgage, not hers.

Pew Research
The vast majority of young adults who live with their parents – 88% – live in their parents’ home, and this group accounts for the growth in the population of adult children living with their parents. Nearly all of the remainder live in their own homes along with their parents, or in homes headed by other family members. These shares have been relatively stable for the past decade.

The youngest adults (ages 18 to 24) accounted for most of the growth in the number of 18- to 29-year-olds living with their parents from February to July – 2.1 million of the 2.6 million increase was attributable to them. Most in this youngest age group already lived with their parents, but the share grew to 71% in July from 63% in February.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:39 pm Just read where the majority of people under the age of 30 are living with their parents.
This is a massive thing in the UK too. Buying a house is ridiculously expensive here, so unless your parents can fund the deposit or you get an inheritance, you're fucked. The ranks of "Generation Rent" are swelling constantly.
I no longer post here.
Brian

Post by Brian »

In just over a week we're going to be a three generation household.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, average house price in Toronto is $1,036,485. ($792,000 USD.) So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I pay around $850 USD in rent for a small one-bedroom apartment when average rent in my area is probably closer to $1,150. I don't like it, but I'm undereducated at the moment and Mrs. Nym is on disability, so again... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ We're 36ish... no kids or plans for kids. We're in a municipality just north of the main city. In the heart of Toronto average rent for a one-bedroom is closer to $1,750 USD. That might have fallen since Covid, but I suspect it won't stay that way.

We have an open invitation to move in with my folks a few hours away (they have a meagre guest house), but it's in a rural area and we don't necessarily want to uproot.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg