Server thoughts for renewal

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

What do we do with our server situation?

Stay with OVH at 2k Canadian per year - its stable, no interruptions, renews in October 2020.
25%
Move to SYS, part of OVH - reduce costs to $950 CDN (approx). Half the ram, small decrease in CPU. Would need to start on this in August, and would need to fund raise soon.
69%
Shut this place down, it smells like old sneakers in here and I'm weird
6%

Total votes: 52

KKBlue

Re: Server thoughts for renewal

Post by KKBlue »

We (telcta and I) tossed in a few bucks too! :wub:
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Ok so we are around $1200 right now which is more than a year at SYS. I will take a look, I think currently even a 6 month commitment there's no setup fees - I might just subscribe to that, and hold the rest until we are comfortable the specs are OK (I am 99.99% sure they will be... it's a forum..) and then I will take whatever is left and pour into into more time on the server.

You folks ok with that? I'll probably sub to the SYS platform today or tomorrow -- we've got a few days of rain here and I'm on "holidays" from work; might as well tinker.
No.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

So right now SYS also has a server line available with 64gb of RAM for a few hundred dollar uptick (still about $700 cheaper on the year I think from OVH). So we can afford either one really - I'll need to navel gaze a bit and decide which way to go, but I am inclined for the extra few hundred to get double the ram (or in other words the same amount of ram as we currently have).
No.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

infinitelurker wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:20 pm I'm a software/devops guy (but for large enterprise apps, never worked with phpBB), and am curious if you could share some of the stats around what is needed to host OO. Database size, compute needed, bandwidth, etc. Are other hosts cheaper (?), but too much of a pain to move to, etc. If it's a pain to gather the info - don't worry, really just curious.

I'm going to kick in some money too (done!), and vote to stay as is, just because I know what it's like in your shoes. Time is money, and tweaking something that ain't broke can bring unforeseen pain. That being said, a little disk access here and there never hurt anybody, but then again, I'm guessing these servers aren't specced out with ssd's?

Thanks for what you do!
The biggest resource hog we have is the database -- we have had years in the past where it would take FOREVER to insert a record, or god forbid you go to edit a post. Lots of MySQL tuning (this wasn't my specialty until I was done with this -- now I am very comfortable in adjusting the performance parameters).

Bandwidth is so surgey because it depends on how many people are online - but I don't think we need the port speed that we have now -- 250mbs should be fine.
No.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FishPants wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:48 pm So right now SYS also has a server line available with 64gb of RAM for a few hundred dollar uptick (still about $700 cheaper on the year I think from OVH). So we can afford either one really - I'll need to navel gaze a bit and decide which way to go, but I am inclined for the extra few hundred to get double the ram (or in other words the same amount of ram as we currently have).
Sounds like a plan to me!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m a little concerned that the relativity vectors might not align with the quantum capacities if our spline reticulation exceeds the maximum algorithm thresholds, but I’m sure you’ve factored that into your decision making process.

(Whatever you decide is fine, I’m sure. :))
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:08 pm I’m a little concerned that the relativity vectors might not align with the quantum capacities if our spline reticulation exceeds the maximum algorithm thresholds, but I’m sure you’ve factored that into your decision making process.

(Whatever you decide is fine, I’m sure. :))
Nah, if that happened all he'd really have to do is reroute the EPS conduits through a matter phase inverter to strengthen the annular confinement beam. We'd be fine.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Sounds good. Thanks!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Thanks for all the fish.

:wub:
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

FishPants wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:48 pm So right now SYS also has a server line available with 64gb of RAM for a few hundred dollar uptick (still about $700 cheaper on the year I think from OVH). So we can afford either one really - I'll need to navel gaze a bit and decide which way to go, but I am inclined for the extra few hundred to get double the ram (or in other words the same amount of ram as we currently have).
Unsurprisingly, I think going with the extra RAM is well worth doing.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

The DB is never going to get smaller. Should probably have as much RAM as we can afford. Make sure there is enough overhead to handle usage spikes, those ad hoc queries can really eat up resources.
The throughput can probably shink safely as you pointed out. Not a lot of new members joining.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Ok sorry I've been quiet I was going back and forth with our provider on a couple options, but recently there's been a sale on a line of servers at OVH (Where we host currently) that brings the operating costs down to the So You Start levels, but we maintain bandwidth capabilities, and memory amounts.

Yes that means I still need to migrate, but at least it's going from an OVH to OVH host in my account versus two separate platforms (although so you start is still part of the OVH family, just older hardware).

So for less money than we pay today, we will get a faster server (processor wise) that's also newer -- at the price of the so you start platform I was going to migrate to. This sounds like a win/win to me! I'm going to place the order later this evening so we don't miss out on the inventory, and then start planning/testing migrating.
No.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Whoo hoo!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TheMix wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:26 pmWhoo hoo!
:horse:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Sounds awesome! Thanks, Fishpants!
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Ok and done, you lunatics donated the equivalent of $2457 in Canuck Bucks. The new server, pre-paid for 24 months (Discounts for prepay) came in at $2451.67 including tax.

That's right suckers, I'm keeping that extra six bucks!

The good news is we are renewed for TWO years now, won't need to fundraise until 2022 - and the world will be over by then.
No.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

FishPants wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:29 pm Ok and done, you lunatics donated the equivalent of $2457 in Canuck Bucks. The new server, pre-paid for 24 months (Discounts for prepay) came in at $2451.67 including tax.

The good news is we are renewed for TWO years now, won't need to fundraise until 2022 - and the world will be over by then.
Go us!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Thank you!!!!
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Well done and thank you!
-something witty-
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

FishPants wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:29 pm Ok and done, you lunatics donated the equivalent of $2457 in Canuck Bucks. The new server, pre-paid for 24 months (Discounts for prepay) came in at $2451.67 including tax.

:dance:

Thank you, o wearer of the fishy trousers!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So I just finished reading this whole thread, and I think the big takeaway here is "annular confinement beam". Feel free to TL;DR that as a sticky to save others time who haven't read it. Source: Blackhawk

Edit: I'm also understanding "annular" to mean "anus-shaped" or "in the shape of an anus" if you aren't into the whole brevity thing. And yes, I am mentally 14 years old thankyouverymuch.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Thanks muchly for your trouty-trousered diligence, FP. Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Since I literally just donated yesterday, that extra six bucks might have come from me. You're welcome to it. :D
Conform or be cast out!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Hrdina wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:05 pm
Since I literally just donated yesterday, that extra six bucks might have come from me. You're welcome to it. :D
Clearly, the new server should be named Hrdina!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

:clap: :dance: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I regret that I couldn't spare the scratch this year. All of my money is buying illegal drugs from China. I'll freeload until 2022, if humans are still around then, and thank all of you who kept Fishpants in fish pants in the meantime.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Thanks for your time and effort! :clap:
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Wow, your math is terrible. That is only $5.33. :roll:
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Ok so an update - The server was received a couple weeks back, and I managed to install my own version of Centos 8 on it (OVH has templates with their own kernel, but their kernel updates are always behind a LOT and they only have Centos 7 currently). I did a test restore of the site, and I'm really glad I had the overlap time this month because it was a bit of a bear. When I restored the site it wouldn't let me login, so I restored it about 10 different ways only to find out that the PHP version was different which hashes passwords different. Anyways it's fixed, was able to recover and login.

This week will be more testing, more wiping and retesting to make sure I have this down pat and that the server remains resilient on reboot etc without the OVH crap on it. So far so good! As an FYI the restore speed on the server is around 1-1.5 hours for the OO site to be recovered, so whenever we cut over that's about the duration of the downtime (beats the 2 days back when I first tried this before learning to tune MySQL/MariaDB).

Progress!
No.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yay - thanks again for all you do!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:22 am Yay - thanks again for all you do!
No problem, without a deadline/gun to my head I actually enjoy this kind of stuff - it's a nice break from my daily routine.
No.
stessier

Post by stessier »

FishPants wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:25 am
stessier wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:22 am Yay - thanks again for all you do!
No problem, without a deadline/gun to my head I actually enjoy this kind of stuff - it's a nice break from my daily routine.
The difference between a Job and a Hobby. Well, that and the pay... :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:wub:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I do not understand your words, but you made it go, and we are happy when it goes. We are going to have to keep you.