Fantasy Football in 2020

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Fantasy Football in 2020

Post by Jeff V »

No, this isn't the thread for an OO league (although feel free to hijack). What is everyone's thoughts on it? With so many players already sitting out and almost certainly there will be many others as the year goes on, it seems like a cluster fuck of a season. Even non-FF rostered players (like a key OL) can mess with your prospects big time.

I haven't responded to my Commish yet...and he texted me today to remind me of that. I get that everyone else is in the same risk level which theoretically levels the playing field, but since we have $5 per transaction fee, this could get quite expensive at a time I have no job.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Re: Fantasy Football in 2020

Post by Lassr »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:21 pm No, this isn't the thread for an OO league (although feel free to hijack). What is everyone's thoughts on it? With so many players already sitting out and almost certainly there will be many others as the year goes on, it seems like a cluster fuck of a season. Even non-FF rostered players (like a key OL) can mess with your prospects big time.

I haven't responded to my Commish yet...and he texted me today to remind me of that. I get that everyone else is in the same risk level which theoretically levels the playing field, but since we have $5 per transaction fee, this could get quite expensive at a time I have no job.
I started my league up, and made it unlimited free agent pick ups (we had a 25 limit), and I will manually keep track of expanded injured reserve slots. Because you know you're going to have a lot of players sitting out of precaution or testing positive and no roster space to keep them if they are a top player. It's going to be a cluster I think but going to try to play somehow.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

What's the O/U on how many weeks the season goes before it's completely scrapped?
SI wrote:One doctor called MLB’s plan “a traveling infection hub.” Several doctors said MLB’s COVID-19 outbreaks—which have forced 14 teams to postpone 42 games—were easy to predict. Yet doctors said they would be even less inclined to play in the NFL, which has a similar plan to MLB’s, but for a more physically intimate sport. Parveen Garg, a cardiologist at USC, echoed several other doctors when he said, “You’re going to run into worse issues than what MLB’s been facing.” Only 8.3% of doctors said they would “definitely” play in the NFL if their full income depended on it.

In light of the turbulence MLB has already experienced, many of the doctors SI spoke to doubted that the NFL will be able to play its full slate of 256 regular-season games, plus the playoffs and Super Bowl.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

We cut transaction fees in half and added 3 spots for Covid IR (one spot for standard IR). If the season hits 8 games and stops whoever is in first wins (same for 2nd-6th). If we don't, all fees besides the software fee are refunded. People are responsible for monitoring their own covid ir spots but if you have someone on it and they aren't on the list there are penalties. Also, our leage essentially has a lineup of QB,RB,WR, WR, Super Flex, Flex, Flex, K, Def so it's pretty flexible.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
naednek

Post by naednek »

we reduced each position to 1, and added more flex, bench and IR slots.

I reached out to one of the OO leagues that I'm commish in and I haven't heard anything back. So not sure if we're still playing.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Our commissioner dropped the fee from $100 to $75 (plus whatever Sportsline charges). He's also dropping transaction fees. So the buy-in is low, it's going to be a FA free-for-all, and in the end, the reward is going to be commensurately low. I guess I'm in, but I can't summon the effort to do any research. And I haven't yet told my wife I'll be spending a few hours in the morning of my son's birthday to do the draft. The Xbox that was supposed to arrive today got punted until tomorrow by FedEx, if it indeed arrives, then I can spend quality time sitting 10' away from him and the TV that is going to be connected to.
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, I have two draft in the next two days (free - so don't have to weigh entry costs), but I can't even push myself to cram and do a little research before the drafts. With everything upside down, and no money on the line, I'm lacking motivation.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Had draft today. I had the #3 pick (Ezekiel Elliott) and since I also wound up with Prescott I have to root for Dallas this year. Makes me want to punch myself. :grund:

The whole draft took 90 minutes and involved several stoppages due to technical difficulties. Far cry from the 6 hour in person marathons they used to be. CBS Sports shows the available players in order of projected points; the first few rounds pretty much took best available, then I switched to filter by position and usually picked one of the top 5 available.
Black Lives Matter
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Fantasy Football Masters on Yahoo

First off, I apologize that this post isn't sooner, but I've been slammed with work and currently awaiting a COVID test myself.

The draft is tomorrow night at 9pm EST. I sent out an email awhile back, but apparently Yahoo has been having issues with mail going out from Fantasy Football.

New this year: 6 IR spots specifically for COVID. If a players goes on it, they have to stay there for three weeks. Hopefully that will be enough slots. If it's not, the season has gone horribly awry anyway.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Dogstar wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:59 pm
New this year: 6 IR spots specifically for COVID. If a players goes on it, they have to stay there for three weeks. Hopefully that will be enough slots. If it's not, the season has gone horribly awry anyway.
I wanted to for my other league but all I saw were regular IR slots which requires the player to be on league IR before they can be added. But may also be able to add if they are listed as OUT, I can't remember. I was going to do it manually, but I may give the extra IR slots a try and see how it goes during the season.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Lassr wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:07 pm
Dogstar wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:59 pm
I wanted to for my other league but all I saw were regular IR slots which requires the player to be on league IR before they can be added. But may also be able to add if they are listed as OUT, I can't remember. I was going to do it manually, but I may give the extra IR slots a try and see how it goes during the season.
This is the best explanation I could find from searching:
Yes, you drop someone, and move the IR guy to a regular spot. No, you don't draft an IR player.
You could draft an injured player, and as soon as you are allowed to move him to IR, you can. Then pick up someone else, but you don't directly draft to the spot.
And if your IR player gets activated by his team, you won't be allowed to do any adds to your squad until you move him off IR.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:24 pm Had draft today. I had the #3 pick (Ezekiel Elliott) and since I also wound up with Prescott I have to root for Dallas this year. Makes me want to punch myself. :grund:

The whole draft took 90 minutes and involved several stoppages due to technical difficulties. Far cry from the 6 hour in person marathons they used to be. CBS Sports shows the available players in order of projected points; the first few rounds pretty much took best available, then I switched to filter by position and usually picked one of the top 5 available.
You should punch yourself. You deserve it.

Dallas sucks. :)
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

This is just a friendly reminder that football starts tonight! Please don't forget to set your lineups...
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So wife and I went out to dinner last night around mid-way through the late games. I was sitting at 38% chance to win, up a bit from the 28% earlier in the day. When I got home, I was 90% favored. Tonight my top receiver decided to take the day off and my DST hadn't recorded anything yet but I already clinched the win.

The AZ win killed me in the elimination pool, but my opponent had the SF DST which tanked big time.
Black Lives Matter
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Both of my leagues were canceled. One by general consensus the other just total apathy
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So I finished the regular season with the best overall record and that earned me 2 byes in the first two rounds. If I win my next game, I'm in the money.
Not having to worry about transaction fees were a plus, especially after Prescott went down. I never had a good DST, so I would always pick up whatever had the best prospects for the upcoming week and that generally worked well. Only one of my starting WRs from the beginning of the season is still in my lineup -- and I'm better for it. I was able to pick up a couple who made gains this season. Still, my #1 pick, Ezekiel Elliot, has been an out and out turd since Prescott went down. I'm going to have to start Himes in the playoffs over him, he's just more reliable at this point. With no transactions allowed from here on out, though, I have to suffer with the choice of Giants or Lions for DST. My QBs are Tannehill and Bridgewater.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

3rd place in FFM.

In my other league, two injuries made it so I missed the top 6 by losing the final regular week by five points. Entering the consolation bracket, I went wire to wire in 7th.

And Philip Rivers should be in the hall of fame.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Lost in my big money league championship because I listened to all the experts who said LeVeon Bell was in line for a big game with Edwards-Helaire being out. I would've instead played Gallup who went off for 30 points. :cry:
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Squeaked into the OO league playoffs but lost 1st round, no surprise, terrible team this year.
2nd league, same thing, barely squeaked in and lost 1st round but won the next 2 consolation games. Whoop Dee Doo Basil.

The money league though, I defended my championship from last year which was quite an accomplishment considering Zeke and Dak were my top players. Lost Dak which neutered Zeke but picked up James Robinson and Justin Herbert which help carry my team until the final where I had to swap out 3 starters due to injury but Stefon Diggs and Mike Evans saved my butt. Those 2 alone outscored my opponent in the fantasy bowl. Lucky his team had an off week.
Last edited by Lassr on Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I finished the regular season with the best overall record, which earned me 2 byes in the playoffs. My first game was this week, and I was trounced. I did well during the regular season largely by taking advantage of the free transactions - in the past, it's been $5 per transaction and thus transactions were done only when really necessary (or if there was an opportunity to grab a player who suddenly steps up and becomes a star). My DST was chosen entirely by weekly projections, I had more turnover there than anywhere. Rosters are locked before the playoffs start, so I found myself with the non-enviable choice of the Giants or Raiders. It also didn't help that my top 2 RBs of the year were injured and both out the week before; both were listed as game time decisions, so I had to start my #3 back (who didn't light up the scoreboard) and while the other 2 did play, I picked the wrong one to start (Elliott, who's done nothing since Prescott was injured, finally had a decent game but I benched him). And speaking of Prescott, earlier in the season before he was killed he was scoring 50 points a game. My choices for QB was Bridgewater and Tannehill. Needless to say, I will be shooting for 3rd place this weekend (and getting at least some prize money, not sure if it's going to cover the entry fee since there's no transaction fees in the pot).
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I took home the championship trophy in FFM, which netted me... [checks notes]... $0.

I lost in the first round of the playoffs in two of my money leagues, and did just enough to not finish last in a 14-team league that I can’t wait to quit.

I did win my FanDuel Friends league in back-to-back weeks. So that’s nice!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

msteelers wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:15 pm I took home the championship trophy in FFM, which netted me... [checks notes]... $0.
Congrats on taking out the dictator...uh commissioner

Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So I won 3rd place, Gibson put me over the top with 3 minutes to go last night, talk about cutting it close. Normally, 3rd place is worth enough to recoup costs, not sure about this season though since there were no transaction fees to drive up the pot.
Black Lives Matter