Wasteland 2 - Impressions start page 8

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: Wasteland 2 - Impressions start page 8

Post by Kasey Chang »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:35 pm I lost my damn goat.
I had three goats following me into Prison. :D They all died, of course. Lost "evil eye' attribute when that happened.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, that Devil Eyes is (was) a HUGE perk. From everything I have read, Awareness is the key attribute that you should level when you get the chance. And you get a plus 1 just for making friends with a goat (and keeping him alive of course)!

I don't even know where I lost. I THINK I moved some of my animal trinkets around, and he probably wandered off. I see him in my mind's eye, wandering the wastes on his own, bleating sullenly at passersby.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Dismissed Angela Deth long ago to make room for a new PC. I thought she would be re-available, but the Director's Cut made her gone forever. :cry:
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Dave Allen wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:24 pm Dismissed Angela Deth long ago to make room for a new PC. I thought she would be re-available, but the Director's Cut made her gone forever. :cry:
Yeah, she becomes unavailable when you reach...
Spoiler:
Valley of the Titans, in a small pass in the middle of rad zone.

I dismissed Rose earlier to make room for Joren. I didn't have any one with brute force, nor anyone with surgeon. Never really needed surgeon before (Pills with first aid was basically all I needed) Rose was the computer science hacker, but Hex may be able to do it. I'll need to hire someone in the valley to supplement my party... Should I hack my savefile again and reallocate some skill points... :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:09 am
Dave Allen wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:24 pm Dismissed Angela Deth long ago to make room for a new PC. I thought she would be re-available, but the Director's Cut made her gone forever. :cry:
Yeah, she becomes unavailable when you reach...
Spoiler:
Valley of the Titans, in a small pass in the middle of rad zone.

I dismissed Rose earlier to make room for Joren. I didn't have any one with brute force, nor anyone with surgeon. Never really needed surgeon before (Pills with first aid was basically all I needed) Rose was the computer science hacker, but Hex may be able to do it. I'll need to hire someone in the valley to supplement my party... Should I hack my savefile again and reallocate some skill points... :D
I suspect Dave Allen's referring to the fact that in the original Wasteland 2 release, you were able to have Angela Deth rejoin your party after dismissing her, at least up until you reached said location.

However, in the Director's Cut, it was apparently tweaked so that she leaves your party permanently if dismissed prior to that occurring, so as to be more fitting with her and General Vargas' dialog, which mentions she's not supposed to be following the player's party around.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Ah, I see.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:18 am, so as to be more fitting with her and General Vargas' dialog, which mentions she's not supposed to be following the player's party around.
I finally made it back to Ranger Citadel last night after being out in the wastes way too long with little more than pea shooters and goat skins to protect me. When I got to Vargas' office, I was fully expecting him to explode or something, seeing Angela with us. Only because she had specifically said that she wasn't supposed to be for some reason or another, when we first picked her up. Not even a peep!

I guess we all did such a helluva job that he let her slide (still not sure WHY she was not supposed to be with us though - that could be important).

I am about to boot one of my custom rolled characters, if we can even do that. She is just not panning out at all, and I am not even sure why. Never seems to hit, slow, etc. Though maybe she's a "sleeper" character, like mages often are, that are super-weak for the first half of the game, but then overpowered the second.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FINALLY found my sludge, got my way past Dale (probably a spy) and then...
Spoiler:
Found the saboteurs from DBM ready to head down the backdoor into the temple interior. Killed them. Decided to head down the same path myself as I had a brother with me, they should treat me neutral, right?

Nope. Suddenly, I get combat phase initiated, then the brother following me informed me that I broke Titan's law, even though I hadn't fired a shot or made any hostile moves (well, other than headed into the interior via the "hidden" passage)

I decided I don't want to start hostilities and decided to quit the game and load an earlier savegame. I'll leave that entrance alone after killing the DBM and find the real entrance in.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I forget how I dealt with that area, honestly. Both of the factions there struck me as not worth working with, and I don't think there was a way to reconcile their differences in that situation. I wound up picking one then more or less forgetting about them for the rest of the game.

Pro tip, load up on energy weapons for the next major area after the canyon. Just sayin'.
Black Lives Matter
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:46 pm FINALLY found my sludge, got my way past Dale (probably a spy) and then...
Spoiler:
Found the saboteurs from DBM ready to head down the backdoor into the temple interior. Killed them. Decided to head down the same path myself as I had a brother with me, they should treat me neutral, right?

Nope. Suddenly, I get combat phase initiated, then the brother following me informed me that I broke Titan's law, even though I hadn't fired a shot or made any hostile moves (well, other than headed into the interior via the "hidden" passage)

I decided I don't want to start hostilities and decided to quit the game and load an earlier savegame. I'll leave that entrance alone after killing the DBM and find the real entrance in.
I made deal with DBM but...
Spoiler:
they shot the brother with me, and then raiders with a brother blocked the temple entrance. I decided what the hell, and gave sludge no. 3 to Dale. Then I used the back door you mentioned. Down there I found another way up to the temple surface with a minimum of bullets and the monks were all friendly again.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Yeah, I have 2 out of 6 party specialized in energy weapons already. One's got Meson gun, other's got pulse rifle, and there's always the Laser Carbine if I want to use it or give someone an extra point or two in energy weapons.

It would help if the map at Gamepressure.com for Canyon of Titan wasn't rotated left by 90 degrees, so it's impossible to read.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

81 resolved missions. Most of my team are at level 36. As I continue to grind the wasteland to dust I wonder, "could they have spent any LESS money on the cut-scene from Arizona to Los Angeles?"
Anyone else still going?

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Me. But I took a hiatus a few weeks ago thanks to a maddeningly addictive iOS game called Pirates Outlaws. It has its hooks (ha!) in me bad.

Maybe your post will get me back to the wasteland though.

A. I was having tons of fun while playing, really loving it.
B. That cutscene sounds delish. Now I’m really curious and can’t wait to see it! :D

I actually thought the first video was a bit low-rent/ cheesy.

I’m trying to remember what more recent game had an even worse FMV intro, but not sure now. Maybe the new Bard’s Tale? Yep. That’s it. It’s so bad, it’s hilarious.

IMO don’t do FMV with acting, especially these days, unless it’s going to be AAA quality. I’m actually never a huge fan of it, even when it’s done well. Would rather see intros and cutscenes and endings in the game engine, but that’s probably a minority opinion.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Finally finished Bard’s Tale IV, and I started up Wasteland 2. It’s early on, but I’m enjoying it so far. Just entered the Rail Nomads camp after resolving the first mission.

One thing I’m not sure I get is the heal mechanic. Like, how do you heal your party?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Use the first aid skill on your doc to the hurt guy, I think? Unless the wound's serious like bleeding or crippled and so on. Been a few weeks since I played it.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kurth wrote:Finally finished Bard’s Tale IV, and I started up Wasteland 2. It’s early on, but I’m enjoying it so far. Just entered the Rail Nomads camp after resolving the first mission.

One thing I’m not sure I get is the heal mechanic. Like, how do you heal your party?
The only “heal party” equivalent function I’ve seen in the game is done by docs you come across in various places (Highwater, Ranger Citadel, etc). Outside of those, AFAIK you have to do it manually, one by one (either self healing w pain meds, or having your doc use first aid kit).
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:59 am
Kurth wrote:Finally finished Bard’s Tale IV, and I started up Wasteland 2. It’s early on, but I’m enjoying it so far. Just entered the Rail Nomads camp after resolving the first mission.

The only “heal party” equivalent function I’ve seen in the game is done by docs you come across in various places (Highwater, Ranger Citadel, etc). Outside of those, AFAIK you have to do it manually, one by one (either self healing w pain meds, or having your doc use first aid kit).
Make sure that your person with the First Aid skill has the majority of the healing items. Add the items to the character's quick slots. Then it should be pretty quick to select a healing item from the quick slots, and click on the wounded character (or, possibly, the wounded character's picture). You should be able to heal everyone that needs it pretty quickly that way.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Set the First Aid skill to the quick select bat, and it will prompt you which med kit to use.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:43 am Set the First Aid skill to the quick select bat, and it will prompt you which med kit to use.
I almost edited my comment along those lines. But I couldn't remember exactly how it worked. :D

I've been playing W3, and I'm not thrilled with the way they handle it. It's a pain to have to keep popping into the inventory to change which items are in my belt slots.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Ok, I think it’s still pretty early, but this game has its hooks in me. I’m working my way through the prison, fighting it out with a bunch of RSM goons. Very reminiscent of XCOM as far as the tactical combat goes. Really liking it so far!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

So, I think I may have screwed up:
Spoiler:
Went to Rail Nomads and got cute, trying to steal the Golden Spike from the Topekans. Thought I could do it on the downlow and maybe end the feud. The Atchisons were psyched to get the spike, but now the Topekans are trying to kill me on sight, and I’m getting yelled at by Vargas and the Citadel for defending yes,f and wiping them out.
Did I wreck the plot here, or should I forge ahead? Last save before the trouble is a long, long time ago.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

No you did not. You can handle quite a few faction conflicts by screwing over everyone.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, getting them to work out their differences is also possible, but, as I recall, requires a pretty high score in one of the negotiation skills. That being said, while it's sub-optimal, it's fine.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Suboptimal for story maybe.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Thanks! Didn’t want to have to go back to a distant save.

In other news, the best member of my party is proving not to even be a real member of my party. Somewhere along the way, I fixed a robot named Vax, and he’s been following my party around ever since. He doesn’t have many hit points, and I can’t control him, but he’s a wrecking ball. Waste everyone I come up against. I don’t know how I’d be getting through this game without him!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 28, 2015 10:37 pm I'm thinking I may be done with this. I still haven't finished. I'm in Rodia, partway into California, and I'm burned out. I've tried to get back into the game three or four times over the past couple of months, and it just isn't clicking anymore.
It's been six years. I quit playing prior to the Director's Cut. I think it may be time to give it another whirl.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:40 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 28, 2015 10:37 pm I'm thinking I may be done with this. I still haven't finished. I'm in Rodia, partway into California, and I'm burned out. I've tried to get back into the game three or four times over the past couple of months, and it just isn't clicking anymore.
It's been six years. I quit playing prior to the Director's Cut. I think it may be time to give it another whirl.
I also need to finish. It's still installed locally, but the last time I went to play it, some time had passed before the PREVIOUS time I played, and I had completely forgotten what I was doing, or next steps, etc. So I stopped again. :P

I guess I could consult a walkthrough up til the point I'm at to solve that little problem though. Was enjoying it while playing, for sure.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Custom squad, three of four characters built, the fourth one half done...

Power bump. *poof*
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:16 pm Custom squad, three of four characters built, the fourth one half done...

Power bump. *poof*
Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My friend msg'd me the other day saying he had started playing this and would report back. Today I get a msg he cant hit anyone no matter the % to hit and it takes forever to do one fight. Stuff moves along SO SLOW.

I lol'd...the constant missing shots and swings is why I gave up on it twice. Its no Fallout 1 & 2 thats for sure.

Nowhere near as bad as the newer X-Com games though..lordy you cant hit a wall 1' in front of you in Xcom.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:19 pm Nowhere near as bad as the newer X-Com games though..lordy you cant hit a wall 1' in front of you in Xcom.
Get out.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:19 pm My friend msg'd me the other day saying he had started playing this and would report back. Today I get a msg he cant hit anyone no matter the % to hit and it takes forever to do one fight. Stuff moves along SO SLOW.
Don't worry. It doesn't take long before you're so good that most things die in a heartbeat, and you can just quit using strategy and line up like a firing squad most of the time. It's actually part of the reason I walked away twice (the rest being some design decisions that just made everything tedious - too much of the gameplay just felt like busy work.)
Anonymous Bosch

coopasonic wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:23 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:19 pm Nowhere near as bad as the newer X-Com games though..lordy you cant hit a wall 1' in front of you in Xcom.
Get out.
Alas, Daehawk has yet to fully comprehend that he's simply aged out of playing games that require any strategy, tactics, skill, patience, reading comprehension, or competence. ;)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The wink doesn't make that any less cruel.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:11 pm The wink doesn't make that any less cruel.
Better a cruel tongue-in-cheek truth than a comfortable delusion.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, I really liked it up until the point I stopped playing for a bit due to life stuff, and when I came back months later I could not remember all the multiple threads, storylines and details, so just gave up like a quitter. :D

Had I not taken that initial break, I’m very sure I would have finished it (unless the last half was a totally different, worse game for some reason).

Had a lot of fun while I was playing it and felt VERY Fallouty to me (1 & 2).