Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Paingod

Re: Random randomness

Post by Paingod »

A while back our kennel's stud passed away after an illness. We lucked out and found a secondary stud that should work for the kennel. We have a dog in heat now and the new stud can't figure out what to do. He's just failing to hit the mark and she's afraid we won't have a litter from the two of them. The female is her absolute favorite charismatic, talkative girl and her last litter was amazing. Not having a litter is apparently not an option. The pandemic is driving my wife insane and having puppies to focus on gives her something to look forward to.

My wife has decided that she's going to artificially inseminate the female using the male's sperm. Dogs don't really go to the bathroom with a magazine and come out with a plastic cup to hand back. The kit's in the mail and should be here in a couple days.

This is going to be an interesting week.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:46 am My wife would buy me a new cordless trimmer every few years. The batteries get to where they wont hold a charge. tried different brands with some better than others. But they all die in a few years. Cant use a corded one as theres no power plugs in the bathroom or the two back rooms where the bathroom is. Bout time I got another one as this one is slowing down.
:doh:

I bought my clippers for about $25 at least 20 years ago. They still work fine.

Buy an extension cord and corded clippers. You'd save a ton of money.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:00 am
Daehawk wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:08 pm Theres always cheaper places to live.
There is a correlation between how much a place costs to live and access to critical resources, like jobs and good schools.
For me, finding an even remotely affordable house would mean moving so far up north that it would be difficult to see pretty much anyone I care about.
I no longer post here.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

TheMix wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:15 am
Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:46 am My wife would buy me a new cordless trimmer every few years. The batteries get to where they wont hold a charge. tried different brands with some better than others. But they all die in a few years. Cant use a corded one as theres no power plugs in the bathroom or the two back rooms where the bathroom is. Bout time I got another one as this one is slowing down.

Amen.

I did much the same, by snagging a made-in-the-USA Oster Fast Feed for a bargain price several years ago. There's simply no comparison to the cheap and shoddy Chinese rubbish typically available at most retail stores. With a little basic maintenance -- i.e. periodically removing, cleaning, and properly lubricating the blade -- it shaves smooth as butter each and every time. I also swapped out the the stock blade for an Andis ceramic blade (as shown here), which is sharper than steel and provides the perfect way to zero gap with an Oster Fast Feed. A ceramic blade also doesn’t heat up as much as the stock steel blade. Suffice to say, it's definitely worth spending more up front on a quality set of corded clippers than faffing around with rinky-dink Chinese junk.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Same here. I buzzed my head about a month before Little B 11.6 was born, and have been doing it weekly since then.
Paingod wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:09 am My wife has decided that she's going to artificially inseminate the female using the male's sperm. Dogs don't really go to the bathroom with a magazine and come out with a plastic cup to hand back. The kit's in the mail and should be here in a couple days.

This is going to be an interesting week.
Made me think of this

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I am significantly stressed out today.

Central Oregon is having weather. Specifically high winds, and severe fire danger. There is a lot of smoke outside, good thing we already have masks. Many small fires and power outages reported all around the region. The smoke is from a couple of large fires that are some 50 miles away in the cascade mountains. We know about some local evacuations, and are prepping for our own, even though it seems unlikely? Our subdivision is built on a swamp, err wetlands. Although its totally dried up right now. Outside the housing area there are farms though, and those may be nothing but dry grass.

We wet down the lawn this morning, had to brush the ash off after every trip outside.

We are looking at our evacuation potential, just in case and it doesn't look good. Going north or south, there are just more fires. North though, would mean traveling through Portland, and that sounds like a huge pile of suck, if everybody was trying to do it at once. We have some hills to the west between us and the ocean. Some of those hills are on fire, and that keeps us in the heavy smoke.
We could drive east, going out the one highway in between the major fires, and go to eastern Oregon, find a pet friendly hotel. But not go so far east that we get into the Idaho fires.

WTF 2020
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Anonymous Bosch

Jaymon wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:24 pm I am significantly stressed out today.

Central Oregon is having weather. Specifically high winds, and severe fire danger. There is a lot of smoke outside, good thing we already have masks. Many small fires and power outages reported all around the region. The smoke is from a couple of large fires that are some 50 miles away in the cascade mountains. We know about some local evacuations, and are prepping for our own, even though it seems unlikely? Our subdivision is built on a swamp, err wetlands. Although its totally dried up right now. Outside the housing area there are farms though, and those may be nothing but dry grass.

We wet down the lawn this morning, had to brush the ash off after every trip outside.

We are looking at our evacuation potential, just in case and it doesn't look good. Going north or south, there are just more fires. North though, would mean traveling through Portland, and that sounds like a huge pile of suck, if everybody was trying to do it at once. We have some hills to the west between us and the ocean. Some of those hills are on fire, and that keeps us in the heavy smoke.
We could drive east, going out the one highway in between the major fires, and go to eastern Oregon, find a pet friendly hotel. But not go so far east that we get into the Idaho fires.

WTF 2020
Keep in mind, Phos-Chek Wildfire Home Defense is the same long-lasting fire retardant you see dropped from planes during pretty much every US wildfire (except the home version is more of an off-white colour instead of the red colour used by firefighters). It's typically widely available from most hardware stores, so it may be prudent to check around and see if you're able to find any local stores that have it in stock.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:29 pm Amen.

I did much the same, by snagging a made-in-the-USA Oster Fast Feed for a bargain price several years ago. There's simply no comparison to the cheap and shoddy Chinese rubbish typically available at most retail stores. With a little basic maintenance -- i.e. periodically removing, cleaning, and properly lubricating the blade -- it shaves smooth as butter each and every time. I also swapped out the the stock blade for an Andis ceramic blade (as shown here), which is sharper than steel and provides the perfect way to zero gap with an Oster Fast Feed. A ceramic blade also doesn’t heat up as much as the stock steel blade. Suffice to say, it's definitely worth spending more up front on a quality set of corded clippers than faffing around with rinky-dink Chinese junk.
I absolutely agree. I also have that Oster Fast Feed, but haven't swapped out the blade. Thanks for letting me know about it! I've had it for quite awhile and it still cuts like new.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'll most likely only use mine 3-4x per year, so I reckon the battery will last a good long while.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Thanks to the California wildfires we have been living with horrible air quality for the last 2 weeks or so. Now there is a huge fire about 45 miles east of us burning thru forests and foothills. Weird having ash fall on you in the backyard. The areas being destroyed are places we have been to and spent time at. We know people who are under forced evacuation. Pretty sad.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

For a bit of fun, 3D artist takes "bicycle drawings" from people of all ages, and turn them into photorealistic renderings (that can never exist as real bikes). It's called Velocipedia

You try drawing a bike PURELY from memory yourself. It'll probably look something like this. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As I recall at least one of those fires was started by one of those silly baby gender reveal parties. Even the lady who first started them is begging folks to stop with the stupidity already.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I bet if we start collectively referring to them as "baby genital reveal parties" (which is what they are), it'll stop.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This week, as more than 7,000 acres in California were burned after a gender reveal led to a massive wildfire in San Bernardino County, blogger Jenna Karvunidis -- who is largely credited for creating the gender reveal party -- took to Facebook to condemn the over-the-top events.
"Stop having these stupid parties. For the love of God, stop burning things down to tell everyone about your kid's penis. No one cares but you," she wrote.
The current wildfire in California is massive, but it's just small potatoes compared to a 2017 reveal in Arizona that led to a wildfire spanning 47,000 acres. It all happened when members at the party shot a makeshift target scrawled with the words "Boy" and "Girl."
When the target -- packed with the highly explosive Tannerite -- exploded, a blue cloud poofed upward and immediately ignited the surrounding brush.
It was a boy, and the party ended up costing the guilty patrons more than $8 million in restitution.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What does penis reveal have to do with starting fires?

Edit: I see in the second quote.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So I wake up with a different song stuck in my head every day. Yesterday it was a weird sort of Tori Amos like version of Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love." But today really came out of left field. I didn't even know I remembered this song until it popped in to my head this morning. I don't even remember the cartoon but it was an ark full of Hanna Barbara animal characters singing "We're on our way to the perfect place."

I wonder what repressed memory that way lies...

Even stranger, Youtube's predictive text nailed what I was looking for at "We're on"

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I get New Zoo Review's theme stuck in my head sometimes.

Also....

A.I. Suggests Cavill, Urban For James Bond

Hmmm..I could see Urban as Bond.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:03 pm What does penis reveal have to do with starting fires?

Edit: I see in the second quote.
Ya one couple even stuffed blue and pink gunpowder in metal tubes. Yup they made pipe bombs. When it went off a piece hit and killed granny standing many feet away.
Anonymous Bosch

gbasden wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:05 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:29 pm Amen.

I absolutely agree. I also have that Oster Fast Feed, but haven't swapped out the blade. Thanks for letting me know about it! I've had it for quite awhile and it still cuts like new.
Yeah, in all honesty, if you don't have thick hair the ceramic blade mod is likely overkill for most at home users. With the ceramic blade installed, you do need to be more careful to avoid nicking your skin if you're just doing a buzzcut. However, I found this set of Andis magnetic guide combs to be an even more useful upgrade, because Oster's stock plastic guards seem kinda flimsy and prone to slipping off or moving around. But those Andis guide combs work great and fit like they're made for the Oster clippers.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I got a haircut back in February. I'm putting enough product in my hair that it's staying manageable for now, but I'll eventually have to apply the clippers we bought for the kids. I haven't shaved since 3/13. I may get to the six month mark and then get rid of it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have super fine hair, and I have no natural part. I've had multiple professional stylists give up on me after spending an hour trying to get it to look good, only to discover that my hair's so fine that it's like a house of cards when styled. A light breeze, and *poof*. In high school I dealt with that by keeping it long enough to tie back in a pony tail. As an adult I've dealt with that by shaving it the hell off. SInce I first shaved it in '94, I don't think I've ever had hair longer than an inch, and that's only when I've been too lazy to cut it. My wife used to shave it for me, and I started doing it myself after the divorce ~13 years ago. Now a full haircut takes me about ten minutes. I currently use an electric shaver bought at Wal-Mart for $30 probably 15 years ago. The best part is that hair care is a pass with the wash cloth in the shower, and it dries in about two minutes.

My facial hair is just as much of a headache. I look terrible clean shaven. I just don't have the face for it. For years I did the mustache and goatee. After my cancer treatment, though, I found that I couldn't grow hair on one side of my chin anymore. I have a 1" wide bald strip on the right side of my chin. I had a choice: go with a horrible looking 80s pornstache, or do something odd with the goatee. For a while I grew a narrow goatee with a long horseshoe mustache to cover the gaps. It looked decent, almost like a mustache/goatee, but I got really tired of eating my mustache every time I had a sandwich. When I went to GenCon a couple of years ago, I felt like I was wearing a uniform: tens out thousands of overweight men wearing cargo shorts and a black T-shirt, all with a mustache and goatee. I hate accidentally following the crowd! Six or eight months ago I finally tried something new for the first time in 20 years: I grew a full beard, then shaved off the goatee. Yep, an nice set of salt-and-pepper friendly mutton chops (mutton chops plus connected mustache, right out of the 19th century.) It's neat, it's easy to take care of, and it looks halfway decent on my face. It stands out, but while it's out of date, it's a century out of date. At that point it's more eccentric than tasteless. I'm really happy with it. And the style needs to be bald in that annoying spot where I can't grow hair anyway.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:18 am I have super fine hair, and I have no natural part. I've had multiple professional stylists give up on me after spending an hour trying to get it to look good, only to discover that my hair's so fine that it's like a house of cards when styled. A light breeze, and *poof*. In high school I dealt with that by keeping it long enough to tie back in a pony tail. As an adult I've dealt with that by shaving it the hell off.
I have fine hair, too, but at least I have a part. (I once had a stylist tell me that I didn't have to worry about going bald - I had a ton of hair, it was just super fine.) I use pomade to keep it in line. Your approach is probably more economical, but I just can't bring myself to go the bald route.
Blackhawk wrote:but I got really tired of eating my mustache every time I had a sandwich.
Oh my God, that is the fucking worst thing about this damn facial hair. I refuse to trim the mustache or beard because the whole point of not shaving is to not have to do any facial maintenance, but that's also why I'm going to go back to shaving in the not-too-distant future.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Trimming every week or two is eminently better than shaving every day or two.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:29 am
Blackhawk wrote:but I got really tired of eating my mustache every time I had a sandwich.
Oh my God, that is the fucking worst thing about this damn facial hair. I refuse to trim the mustache or beard because the whole point of not shaving is to not have to do any facial maintenance, but that's also why I'm going to go back to shaving in the not-too-distant future.
It's fun when the tips of your mustache are three inches below your chin. I'm very, very glad to be rid of that. And of going out in the wind and having my mustache blowing around in front of my eyes.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I have thick, wavy hair which equates to hairs which behaved yesterday deciding to curve into my mouth or shoot up into my nostrils today. The stuff on the head is just as bad... parts aren't the problem. A single blast of wind and things are ruined for the day, if sleeping the wrong way didn't already ruin my prospects. Even with a pound of product things may go weird. A wash will reset things, but it's rarely right unless dried and styled just so. I've often been jealous of straight, fine hair. Maybe the problem is hair in general. Of course, all the bald men are cursing me for being ungrateful. The reaction from most women who spend hours living up to society's beauty standards is worse.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

As the poster child for male pattern baldness, I've been cutting my own hair for 20-some years now, the shorter the better. I really like the Remington Shortcut Pro.

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:47 pm Also....

Karl Urban is likely a bit too old to start playing James Bond.
Hodor.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:06 am

He'd be a bitchin' Bond villain's lead henchman/thug, though.
Black Lives Matter

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Paingod wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:43 am
pr0ner wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:06 am

He'd be a bitchin' Bond villain's lead henchman/thug, though.
Oh absolutely.
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:55 am Trimming every week or two is eminently better than shaving every day or two.
I used to let my beard grow long over the winter, but this year I'm keeping it trimmed so that my masks fit well. I do shave my neck once a week, because neckbeard doesn't look good unless you grow chinbeard long enough to merge. Fortunately, blonde/white stubble isn't very noticeable.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:14 am As the poster child for male pattern baldness, I've been cutting my own hair for 20-some years now, the shorter the better. I really like the Remington Shortcut Pro.

Enlarge Image
stessier

Post by stessier »

I can legally own a kangaroo without a permit...can you??

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I cannot.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I got my kanga when she was just a roo. It's very easy to obtain one in southern Ontario, you just need to build rapport with a reputable dealer. In my case it was through trade of various rare meats and pre-1930s vacuum tubes. I tie my kanga down to a sled and have her work on reproductions of Renaissance-era Spanish literature. When she's hungry I feed her Peruvian cream apples fresh from the vine, and when she's tired she naps in an old fridge. For a special treat I let her punt on the Thames.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My car cd changer is still tuck. been stuck for weeks now. Its done this every since we got the car. It usually fixes itself after a while but simply driving. the bumpy roads fix it or I smack it a few times . Now nothing is working. My only options are wait or take it apart and Im not taking it apart. If I could get it unstuck Id take all the cds and make a single cd with tons of songs I like for it. As is Im stuck with radio and f'n hell radio sucks SO bad these days. Its horrible. I was out just now prying on it and trying stuff I see online to try. nada.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What CD is stuck in it? Can you listen to it?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its a 6 cd changer. Im not sure which slot has the stuck one. None are important. All are cds I made. I luckily had switched out my store bought ones just a few months prior.

And no it wont play the cd . Just radio. Just makes a motor buzz sound when it tries to play the cds or switch slots.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I've seen crowd funding for less need than that.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Have you ever caught yourself dancing along to the beat of the printer down the hallway?

Bada-da-dun-chun. Bada-da-dun-chun. Bada-da-dun-chun. Bada-da-dun-chun.
Black Lives Matter