Wild Fires: 2020 Edition

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kurth

Wild Fires: 2020 Edition

Post by Kurth »

Having only moved to the West Coast 5 years ago, wild fires were never really a concern for me. Since living in OR just outside of Portland, it feels like they're becoming a bigger and bigger issue every year. I know CA has been dealing with much worse for far longer, but we've had some pretty bad smoke issues here the last couple years, and now, we've actually got some fires burning pretty close to us. We're in a Level 1 evacuation zone, which is concerning, but not yet alarming. I think the closes fire is 10 miles away.

That said, the power outages and the crazy skies have everyone on edge. The sun looks like the Eye of Sauron:

Just one more thing to be thankful for in 2020!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kraken

Re: Wild Fires: 2020 Edition

Post by Kraken »

My sister's ex evacuated yesterday, and just found out that his whole neighborhood is gone. I'm not sure exactly where he lived, just somewhere in OR. Ashland (heh), Medford, and Talent were mentioned.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

San Francisco feels like fictional Mars today. I was wondering why sky's so dark. I looked outside at noon and the sky's dark orange as if it's 6PM.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Seattle air quality is moderately not good today, was really bad early yesterday morning
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

For six years I lived in Glendora Calif, which is next to the mountains. Every summer the mountains would catch on fire. Even got ashes in our yard. It was just a summer event like heat. Don't know why they started they just did.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Enlarge Image

Keep in mind, Phos-Chek Wildfire Home Defense is the same long-lasting fire retardant you see dropped from planes during pretty much every US wildfire (except the home version is more of an off-white colour instead of the red colour used by firefighters):
phos-chekhomedefense.com wrote:What it is and How it Works
Our retardant is a long term fire retardant that helps stop the spread of wildfires by reducing the combustibility of potential fuels. With the powerful and unpredictable nature of wildfires, this non-colored formula works by naturally changing the molecular composition of organic materials such as grass, wood, and vegetation. This change ensures that they no longer serve as fuel, effectively slowing down the rate of spread of the fire. Used as directed, the formula is friendly to people and pets, as well as the environment.

Leading Preventative Long Term Fire Retardant Solution
PHOS-CHEK brand products have been the leader in fire protection for over five decades. Developed under USDA Forest Service standards, our long term retardants provide one of the most effective tools in mitigation.
It's typically widely available from most hardware stores, so it may be prudent to check around and see if you're able to find any local stores that still have it in stock.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kraken wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:36 pm Ashland (heh)
Notorious community for childhood vaccine resistance. So now there's potentially an entire cohort of families that skipped them, evacuating out into situations where vaccines would be really, really helpful right now. It's one thing to read about these scenarios as theoretical situations; it's another to see it actually happening.

Stay safe left coast OOers, I'm having a hard time processing the photos I'm seeing; it looks like hell on earth.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:22 pm Stay safe left coast OOers, I'm having a hard time processing the photos I'm seeing; it looks like hell on earth.
Remember the Mars scenes in Total Recall where they tinted everything orange?

It's like that.

Good news, though! Portland's smoke problem is about to get much worse:

Wait, that's not good news at all. :cry:
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

It's basically a grey/orange haze outside right now. Even in the house, with all the windows shut, it smells like a camp fire. This sucks.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the rain can't get here fast enough.

fun times this weekend as well:

https://wasmoke.blogspot.com/

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Good luck folks. We went through that for about 2 weeks in Colorado's Front Range (well the orange sky/Mars thing was only three days), and it felt like I was breathing lava. MHS ended up getting a couple of HEPA filters that clear out a room at a time, and that let me finally get some night's sleep.

Fortunately for us, we were never concerned about the fires actually taking down our home.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This is a GoFundMe for my ex-BIL, if that's a thing. I''m happy that he's way over his goal, but he's going to need a lot more than that modest ask. If it's within your means and heart to make it rain for him, it won't be money thrown away.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

We are getting out. In an airport hotel tonight in Seattle, and booked on an early morning flight to stay with family in Florida tomorrow. With my wife and I working remote and the kids all learning remotely anyway, we figured it made sense to use up some air miles and trade the smoke and fires of OR for the sun and beaches of FL. One way tickets. We’ll see what happens.

(If 2020 stays true to form, we’ll be greeted with a Cat 5 hurricane warning upon landing!)

Stay safe everyone!
Last edited by Kurth on Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Good luck Kurth!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i unfortunately had to leave the house today - wore five layers of fabric over my nose and mouth
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:11 pm For six years I lived in Glendora Calif, which is next to the mountains. Every summer the mountains would catch on fire. Even got ashes in our yard. It was just a summer event like heat. Don't know why they started they just did.
The Bobcat fire is not that far northwest of here. The firefighters have kept it from moving south but otherwise it's just getting bigger. Strong winds are expected soon as well. Glendora is far enough away that all we're getting now is the smell of smoke occasionally and the skies can get dark and yellow/orange-ish. Fires haven't been a yearly thing in the time I've been here but there have been a couple of good ones, to the point where I could stand out in my front yard and look at the mountains on fire and see the actual flames.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I was there 1955-1962. lived next to the South Hills on Mauna Loa.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

So its been bad. And crazy.

I am not directly threatened, living about 30 miles from the closest fire. That may not sound like much, but it might be about the furthest anybody in Oregon is from a fire right now.
My daughter is in Medford, she is 2 blocks outside the reach of the Ashland fire evacuation zone. That one is partially contained, and no longer moving towards town, but its done enough, its already destroyed two small towns. But, there is another newer fire north of Medford thats moving towards town, so thats concerning.

There is a big fire outside Eugene, uncontained, moving towards town. There are 3 big fires outside Salem and Portland. They have destroyed multiple small towns, and are combining into one large fire. That one is uncontained, and moving towards denser population areas. There is another one outside Roseburg, also uncontained, also moving towards the city.

Yesterday the governor announced that 500,000 people in Oregon are under evacuation order, which is approx 10% of the state population.

Some national guard are coming in to assist, but there is not much help coming, because California is also on fire. And so is Idaho, Washington, Utah, and Arizona.

And now for the crazy, People just can't keep their politics out of anything, local nutjobs are going on facebook claiming fires are being set by antifa, and setting up neighborhood watches to guard against arsonists. The police are crazy busy right now, many of them are going door to door in evacuation zones helping people get out. So the FBI has to squash down these rumours.

There is smoke everywhere, its like being right downwind from a campfire. Outside looks like foggy day, but its smoke. Most of everybody is shut down or subdued, seems like people are only taking care of essentials, otherwise just hunkering down. Driving through town felt like driving on Christmas, there was that few people on the road.

The people are concerned. Its not the flip out crazy beans like March when pandemic hit. This is a more serious type of concern. Fire is a known danger, people understand fire. But also some helplessness, because there is SO MUCH FIRE. The folks in the store were not panic buying toilet paper, but the water aisle has been emptied out. However, much of that has gone to the local fairgrounds which is a refugee point.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Drone footage of San Fran during the Bay area fires set to Blade Runner music.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

My mom lived right outside of Phoenix. She would have been ordered to evacuate.

The Almeda fire wasn't really that big and came out of nowhere, but ripped through the residential and business areas.

An arrest was made of someone starting a fire while the Almeda fire was already raging.

https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/Sheri ... 86831.html

The area where I spent my high school years is being threatened by the Obenchain fire.

The air in NW WA is unhealthy, but not unbearable inside at least.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My sister is in Albany. I've been following the fires, and so far she's been safe, but it's wrapping around that area like it's flanking her. It's terrifying to watch.

Stay safe, west coasters.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

what's annoying is that the federal AQI is much more lenient than the Washington state AQI. i think i trust the local one much, much more.....

Seattle right now:

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Yeah, I’m not sure people can totally comprehend how bad it is on the areas hardest hit by these fires. And even for towns like mine that are only under Level 1 evacuation orders and likely not really at risk from the fires themselves, the smoke is awful.

On Thursday, before we left, we had the house buttoned up tight. But the smoke still found a way to make it inside. The last straw was when I went to change the laundry, and when I opened the door to the dryer, smoke billowed out.

Insane.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kurth wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:03 am We are getting out. In an airport hotel tonight in Seattle, and booked on an early morning flight to stay with family in Florida tomorrow. With my wife and I working remote and the kids all learning remotely anyway, we figured it made sense to use up some air miles and trade the smoke and fires of OR for the sun and beaches of FL. One way tickets. We’ll see what happens.
So I am in Central California. My brother and his wife went into Oregon last week to get away from the California fires. I don't think that worked to good for him.

Here we are dealing with air quality in the high 100s. Last week we day in the 400s. For those of you who don't know what that means, in the winter I can't light a wood fire when the reading the is over 80.

My daughter is moving to Beaverton in a couple weeks. Her friends up there are all under some level of evacuation order.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:06 pmHere we are dealing with air quality in the high 100s. Last week we day in the 400s. For those of you who don't know what that means, in the winter I can't light a wood fire when the reading the is over 80.
This was the map I saw last night. I can't even process it.

Enlarge Image
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

https://abcnews.go.com/US/oregon-state- ... d=72976717

"Oregon went to the surprising step of replacing its state fire marshal as devastating wildfires continued to spread across the West Coast on Saturday.

Mariana Ruiz-Temple was thrust into the role of Oregon state fire marshal after Jim Walker was placed on administrative leave for unspecified reasons, according to Oregon State Police Superintendent Travis Hampton, who made the appointment. Walker submitted his resignation after being placed on leave"

High winds expected for Southern Oregon/Northern California today. Things might get worse in that area.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

One thing, PLEASE discourage your family/friends from staying and trying to save their property. Here in California, it's a misdemeanor if you are told to evacuate and don't. And then when the fire gets too close for you to leave, it's totally unfair to expect a firefighter to leave the lines to come and get you. What I always plan on doing is using my camera on my phone to record all of my stuff before I would have to leave so that I can get it replaced later. For the last few years, I've weaned myself from caring about things, especially when it comes to saving my pets and my roommate vs trying to stay to save my property. I'm not replaceable, my grown son would be devastated if I died in a fire. So if I'm ever asked to evacuate (it's been close before, like less than a mile from an evacuation zone), I'm packing up my two dogs, two cats, parrot and some stuff to wear and getting the hell out of there.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sage advice. What kind of parrot do you have?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I have a 22 year old African Grey, he's been with me since he was 3 months old. Assuming I had any kind of time, I'd want to take him to my vet, although the vet I use is an hour away so it could be dicey.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lorini wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:48 pm I have a 22 year old African Grey, he's been with me since he was 3 months old. Assuming I had any kind of time, I'd want to take him to my vet, although the vet I use is an hour away so it could be dicey.
Sweet! I too have an African Grey, about 10 years old. Ever since the lockdown we are inseparable.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the forecast models were all completely wrong and there will not be any clearing for the next week AND there will be a smoke reinfusion.....

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

We have one mile of visibility here.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i recall it was .68 miles visibility earlier today. it's actually Seattle raining right now! was not in the forecast at all! of course, it's doing almost nothing for the PM2.5 count.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Containment rates are up or starting to exist for the major fires in Oregon, And we have rain in the forecast this week.
Smoke has cleared over some of the places. Not gone, but lessened, and photographers went into some of the burned zones.

https://www.oregonlive.com/wildfires/20 ... regon.html

The towns of Gates, Phoenix, and Talent have been mostly destroyed.

Smoke is still bad for most of the region. At my house its not orange outside like the first days, its grey like fog. Mail is coming, but Amazon has stopped. The Hillsburough distribution center outside of Portland has been closed.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We've had "milky' sunshine in my part of NJ for 2 days now and I think it's allegedly going to persist until Friday - all related to high-level smoke in the atmosphere. Absolutely insane.

Continue to stay safe left-coast OOers.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the promised time for the smoke to clear in the Puget Sound region keeps getting pushed out. weather forecasters are saying Friday, but given the last fizzle, i am doubtful. it is very slightly better today (went from 'hazardous' to 'very unhealthy') though a southerly wind is going to pull in more smoke from Oregon later.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:24 pm We've had "milky' sunshine in my part of NJ for 2 days now and I think it's allegedly going to persist until Friday - all related to high-level smoke in the atmosphere. Absolutely insane.

Continue to stay safe left-coast OOers.
Same thing in MA.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Friend just sent pics from this morning in our hometown back in OR:

A bit better, but still bad. Supposedly, the rain forecast for later this week should help a lot. Fingers crossed.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Took this today. Air quality briefly improved around mid day today before going downhill later in the afternoon.

Latest guess for clearing is Friday when rain is supposed to arrive. I hope so - I'm anxious to open the windows and air out the house which has been sealed tight for about 10 days now.