Whatcha smokin'?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Whatcha smokin'?

Post by Kraken »

Most of you, or some at least, will answer "weed!" and that's cool, me too. I'll smoke anything that burns, so feel free to talk about tobacco, clove cigarettes, bidis, banana peels, or whatever.

I've been thinking about starting this thread for awhile now, and this Politico article seems like a good jumping-off point: How Legal Weed Destroyed a Countercultural Icon ... that icon being High Times. Many of us are old enough to remember its heyday.
The first issue of the drug-centric magazine was intended as a spoof of Playboy, with a centerfold close-up shot of a marijuana flower in place of the older magazine’s pictures of naked women. To get the magazine out, Forcade distributed it through the dealers he sold his smuggled weed to.

The publication elevated an illicit pastime into a full-blown subculture.

“It united stoners all around the world,” actor Tommy Chong has said. “We always knew that there were other stoners out there, but until High Times magazine came along, no publication had devoted everything to the weed.”

It was an instant hit, and its circulation quickly climbed into the hundreds of thousands. “High Times was a rocket. It was the Playboy of pot. It was the Playboy of drugs,” gushed Steve Bloom, who joined the magazine in the ’80s and rose to be its top editor.
Last edited by Kraken on Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paradroid

Re: Watcha smokin'?

Post by Paradroid »

Well I don't smoke tobacco any more; I quit 5 or 6 years ago with the help of e-cigs.

As for weed, if only! I don't really know anyone locally who can supply it any more. I'd much rather smoke weed than drink alcohol, but legal weed is still a long way off in this stupid, uptight little country.

Just a couple of years ago there was a big story in the news about some poor kid who was afflicted with dozens of seizures every day, and the only thing that brought him relief was medical cannabis. He was refused even that until a huge media campaign finally forced the Home Office to relent in this one specific case.

I'm used to laughing at American politics, but damn if you aren't way ahead of us on this one. :?
I no longer post here.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Gowing up in a semi-conservative family, I've never smoked anything. As I've mentioned in the "Watcha Drinking" thread, I didn't even have my first beer till 30. I definitely had some more liberal and rebellious friends in high school, but none of them were big drinkers, smokers, or stoners so I never felt strong pressure to try. That said, as my politics developed, I've always been very much in favour of decriminalization and controlled legalization of all drugs.

A few years ago I gave strong consideration to trying vaping as a tool to combat bordom and snacking, but I'm pretty sure Mrs. Nym wouldn't have tolerated it. I was also wary of the unknown health effects. And then the scare came a couple years ago (even if it may have involved only black market products), and I lost all interest.

Cannabis has been legal in Ontario for about a year. I admit to being curious. But it's expensive. I have a few acquaintances who I'm sure know alternate methods of acquisition, but I have no interest in supporting organized crime or exploitation. (I mean, many corporations could be considered criminals in some regard and exploit workers somewhere, but I suspect the illicit drug trade takes it a step further.)

I'm also concerned about the alleged links to schizophrenia and nebulous claims of alteration to brain chemistry. (I mean, isn't that the point? Lol.) There seems to be mixed messaging from the government, e.g. "We're happy to sell this to you, but the science is up in the air and we don't know what the &$*% it will do to you." I mean obviously, people have been using it for centuries with little known negative effect. But on the other hand, I have depression and there's a history of other mental illness in my family (though not schizophrenia). On the other other hand, with the 15 or so pharmaceutical depression et al. treatments I've been on in the past decade, I think it may be a little late to worry about my brain chemistry.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Canola oil. I put some on the stove to fry hashbrowns for breakfast and let it heat up too long, causing it to smoke. My wife got out of bed and called down, "honey the house is on fire!"
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I read that article regarding High Times magazine yesterday too. Another victim of corporate greed...

Specifically, right now (well not right now now, later in the day right now) I'm smoking on an indelicately named strain called Gorilla Fuck. It's a cross of Gorilla Glue #4 and Alaskan Thunder Fuck. It tastes completely like bananas. I've never experienced this terpene flavor before.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoked cigarettes daily all through the 90s and into 00s. I think I had my last one eight years ago, although I was already down to just one or two a week at that point.

Never liked cigars. When they don't taste bad, they still feel like self-parody.

I've only smoked weed a dozen times, and it always made me anxious. Everyone else seemed relaxed, so I guess it isn't for me.

My new task is cutting out alcohol, mainly because I'm getting a beer belly.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Z-Corn wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:42 am I read that article regarding High Times magazine yesterday too. Another victim of corporate greed...

Specifically, right now (well not right now now, later in the day right now) I'm smoking on an indelicately named strain called Gorilla Fuck. It's a cross of Gorilla Glue #4 and Alaskan Thunder Fuck. It tastes completely like bananas. I've never experienced this terpene flavor before.
I smoked up the last of my commercial weed a couple of days ago. I'd like to get more soon, but I just harvested a big homegrown crop so it's low priority. I've been buying from a dispensary (NETA) that I'm not thrilled with because it's the only one that's really accessible...and it's not at all convenient. MA's been very slow getting the commercial industry up and running. My preferred company, Berkshire Roots, just opened a shop in East Boston, but that's even less convenient. Still, I'm very fond of their Orange Chameleon strain, so I might make a pilgrimage eventually. It has a most pleasant orange flavor.

Wife just got her medical cannabis license renewed -- costs $150 a year, but makes the sales tax go away. She uses CBD tinctures for back pain. She prefers NETA, and that's easier to reach, so I probably won't get any of that delicious orange stuff anytime soon.
Last edited by Kraken on Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I miss cigarettes nearly every day... I guess that's better than missing the every day. I think it's about five years since I smokes my last cigarette. But I don't do time any more. So it could four years. It could be six. I'm sure I noted it here, probably multiple times as it was pretty much thought obsession for a long time and Chantix didn't even take a bite out of that obsession/withdraw. All it did was remind I was paying five dollars a pill as an incentive to not also buy cigarettes... Well, that and give me the coolest, most vivid dreams, like going to a first person movie theatre every night... that I have long since forgotten...

Dope makes me paranoid. I haven't tried since it was legal, so I don't know if that would change things. It's still a banned substance in the company handbook, so it's still something I'm not in a position to imbibe. That and I can only imagine how it would make me really want cigarettes.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Wow, this is a little scary, as I was planning on posting a similar thread yesterday. I very recently purchased an inexpensive tobacco pipe and was going to ask if there were any pipe smokers (tobacco) to ask for recommendations on a tobacco brand/blend for beginners.

I have had the opportunity in the past to smoke some fairly expensive cigars, not a fan. I don't enjoy the taste and the smell is too cloying. I've never been a cigarette smoker but I picked up the practice in the past few months, got some crazy stuff going on in my PL blah, blah, blah, and found smoking a cigarette a bit calming. This is not an ideal solution so figured I would try a tobacco pipe as it's supposedly affords a similar stress relief with slightly less risk.

Marijuana, unfortunately is not an option and most likely will not be for another 6 to 8 years due to my current employer.

Any pipe smokers that can offer up a favorite tobacco that's easy to work with for a beginner?
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I used to smoke a pipe many years ago. I didn't have brand but I'd get my tobacco from an actual tobacconist. There is a very real difference in the tobaccos aka smoking experience bought from a place that buys and stores a good product correctly vs buying a pouch off a rack from smoke shop or convenience store. I liked a good "cherry" tobacco in the late 80s/early 90s.

Also find pipes you like. That's part of the ritual. Enjoying the feel of the whole activity. I say pipes because you want to care for your pipes if you smoke from the same pipe again and again without rest it will take on moisture and it will break.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Kraken wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:45 am MA's been very slow getting the commercial industry up and running.
MI too. For both rec and medical. GR has been doubly slow but places are finally starting to open.

I still haven't visited any because I am just not interested in paying those prices. There is a 6% sales tax on medical and and additional 12% on top of that for rec.

What are prices like for you in MA?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Paradroid wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:00 am I'm used to laughing at American politics, but damn if you aren't way ahead of us on this one. :?
Heh, not in my experience.

Speaking apocryphally of course, as a younger British miscreant, my friends and I cottoned onto the fact that cannabis seeds are perfectly legal to buy, sell, trade, and possess in the UK. Germinating and cultivating said seeds, along with the possession and use of the resultant cultivated product? Obviously verboten. But even back then, plenty of head shops throughout the UK openly promoted and sold high potency seeds. So it was merely a matter of learning to cultivate them without involving the rozzers (which wasn't difficult at all, when not looking to profit from the sale of one's bountiful harvest).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have a hard enough time breathing without putting crappy pollutants in my lungs.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Z-Corn wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:21 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:45 am MA's been very slow getting the commercial industry up and running.
MI too. For both rec and medical. GR has been doubly slow but places are finally starting to open.

I still haven't visited any because I am just not interested in paying those prices. There is a 6% sales tax on medical and and additional 12% on top of that for rec.

Prices are high because there's next-to-no competition other than black market and homegrown. 1/8 goes for around $60 and the prices scale up from there. The 1/2 I have my eye on is $200. The quality is worth the price if one can afford it, but it's a treat, not a staple. Tax on recreational is 20% -- 6.25% sales tax + 13% excise + 0.75% local tax for the host community -- no tax on medical (which is why Wife's card is worth $150). Also, the medical side usually has a bigger menu.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:36 pm I have a hard enough time breathing without putting crappy pollutants in my lungs.
:text-+1:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I smoked from about 1981 - 1992. Age 12 - 23. I quit in 92 after being sickly from them. I weighed only 141 lbs at 6' tall. I looked like I had AIDS. Every time Id eat Id turn nauseous. Not enough to toss my food but enough to feel awful. Also at $1.75 or so a pack they were getting expensive :) . So one Saturday I figured if I could go all night without one all the time I could not start the next morning. At midnight I sat on the steps and smoked my last one.

With weed Id LOVE to have legal access to it. But I live in the south and here its both Republican land and church land. Our county just started allowing liquor stores this year. Weed is a no no hush hush thing. Ill likely be dead and gone before they do anything here. Sure would help my pain Im betting. Bastards. If you dont want it then dont buy it. Let others who do have access.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Living is easy with ice cubes
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kraken wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:53 pm Most of you, or some at least, will answer "weed!" and that's cool, me too. I'll smoke anything that burns, so feel free to talk about tobacco, clove cigarettes, bidis, banana peels, or whatever.
Wrong.... When I think of smoking I think of smoking meat on my new toy Enlarge Image
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I was thinking to buy a smoker this year, and couldn't decide between gas, electric or coal fired. Then the Trump Virus took my job, and I haven't even managed a fire pit more than a couple of times this year, although for the past few months it's been so dry my lawn has turned into desiccated hay and is likely a fire hazard anyway. If the neighbor's lawn wasn't as bad, I'd take the opportunity to give it a prairie burn since weeds seem to be the only thing thriving (wife just ordered me to fire True Green since their treatments have apparently just fed the weeds and did not improve the lawn after a year of service).
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holy fuck they have a spy here! Not 5 minutes after posting this I got a call from Tru Green! Where's my tin foil hat when I need it! :ninja:
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:19 pm

Prices are high because there's next-to-no competition other than black market and homegrown. 1/8 goes for around $60 and the prices scale up from there. The 1/2 I have my eye on is $200. The quality is worth the price if one can afford it, but it's a treat, not a staple. Tax on recreational is 20% -- 6.25% sales tax + 13% excise + 0.75% local tax for the host community -- no tax on medical (which is why Wife's card is worth $150). Also, the medical side usually has a bigger menu.
It took a while, but in WA the prices have become very good. Right now at my shop an eighth is $13-$30 and an oz is $50-$130.
Tao

Post by Tao »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:04 pm I used to smoke a pipe many years ago. I didn't have brand but I'd get my tobacco from an actual tobacconist. There is a very real difference in the tobaccos aka smoking experience bought from a place that buys and stores a good product correctly vs buying a pouch off a rack from smoke shop or convenience store. I liked a good "cherry" tobacco in the late 80s/early 90s.

Also find pipes you like. That's part of the ritual. Enjoying the feel of the whole activity. I say pipes because you want to care for your pipes if you smoke from the same pipe again and again without rest it will take on moisture and it will break.
I have already checked out two "Tobacco" shops in my neighborhood but in both cases they were actually head shops and didn't sell tobacco. The second one I went to the clerk recommended another shop a little further away that he said was an actual tobacco shop. So far I just have the one pipe but I did read most enthusiasts recommend at least 6 or 7 pipes, one for each day of the week, so you can rest each one especially if you tend to smoke hot. For now I will stick with the one until I see how things go.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:41 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:19 pm

It took a while, but in WA the prices have become very good. Right now at my shop an eighth is $13-$30 and an oz is $50-$130.
Nice. Prices might fall faster here when neighboring states get on the bandwagon. Western MA gets a LOT of New Yorkers. But our market is structured to be non-competitive, so cartel prices might be with us indefinitely.
Tao wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:12 pm So far I just have the one pipe but I did read most enthusiasts recommend at least 6 or 7 pipes, one for each day of the week, so you can rest each one especially if you tend to smoke hot. For now I will stick with the one until I see how things go.
Corncob pipes are cheap and disposable, they taste good, and you get to rock that glorious hayseed vibe. When I smoked pipes I smoked them hot, and I burned out a lot of corncobs.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Tao wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:12 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:04 pm I used to smoke a pipe many years ago. I didn't have brand but I'd get my tobacco from an actual tobacconist. There is a very real difference in the tobaccos aka smoking experience bought from a place that buys and stores a good product correctly vs buying a pouch off a rack from smoke shop or convenience store. I liked a good "cherry" tobacco in the late 80s/early 90s.

I have already checked out two "Tobacco" shops in my neighborhood but in both cases they were actually head shops and didn't sell tobacco. The second one I went to the clerk recommended another shop a little further away that he said was an actual tobacco shop. So far I just have the one pipe but I did read most enthusiasts recommend at least 6 or 7 pipes, one for each day of the week, so you can rest each one especially if you tend to smoke hot. For now I will stick with the one until I see how things go.
This explains my FIL's pipes. He quit smoking them in the 80s, but kept them out of fondness. There's a rack of precisely seven.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I do like naednek's answer as my pellet grill gets the most use. I did some excellent brisket (costco sells prime!) and st. louis cut ribs last weekend.

I also have an occasional cigar or pipe.

For cigars, I like a more robust filler (typically Nicaraguan) with a dominican wrapper but I got a box of CAO Brazillia which will keep me busy for about a year.

Pipes are very personal preference. I also recommend going to a tobacconist and getting a bit of very different types (Virginia, Latakia, burley etc) and seeing what you like best. The huge advantage to pipes is it's dirt cheap, and you get to feel pretentious.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:00 am For cigars, I like a more robust filler (typically Nicaraguan) with a dominican wrapper but I got a box of CAO Brazillia which will keep me busy for about a year.
I like Nicaraguan too. For me it's usually the perfect balance of flavour and strength.

I absolutely love a good cigar, but it's expensive in the UK. Coupled with the fact that I can only smoke them outdoors when I'm at home, I rarely get to have one. They're a staple at occasional get-togethers with friends though.
I no longer post here.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:36 pm I have a hard enough time breathing without putting crappy pollutants in my lungs.
Feeling that right now with the fire in the L.A. area. Bleh...

On the happy side, I went to the recreational dispensary near me on Tuesday and loaded up with two different 1/8ths ($42 each, though the second 1/8th was 40% off for being a return customer). I tend to smoke only enough to get me to that happy/sleepy phase so this will last me quite a while.

I never smoked until I was in my early 30s and medical dispensaries were already a thing. I was aware of High Times, but by the time I started smoking the internet already had whatever information I wanted online. It's never been a "culture" for me so the magazine never had much appeal. I do recognize the cultural impact it had though.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

High Times was the coffee table magazine that all the cool kids had on their desks at school. I know I bought several issues (same with Mother Jones) but don't remember much about what I read in them. I'd visit head shops a lot back then (just wondering, with the legalization of weed, are the laws that made head shops extinct lifted?) But I was never heavily vested into the culture, and when I had an adverse reaction to a particularly potent batch I had no problem hanging up the bong for good (actually, the only bong I ever owned was confiscated when cops raided my first multi-kegger at age 17).
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Re: Whatcha smokin'?

Post by Kraken »

As I sparked up a bit of commercial bud that's almost as dense as hash, I wondered whatever happened to hashish? Anybody seen it in the past, oh, few decades? I used to love it when I was a kid.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Couple of weeks ago my stepson gave his mom a laced brownie. She ate like less than a quarter of it so I ate the rest. His buddy who makes these use cannabis oil and they are VERY strong.
I did not like not being able to walk. No more of his friends brownies for me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:13 am As I sparked up a bit of commercial bud that's almost as dense as hash, I wondered whatever happened to hashish? Anybody seen it in the past, oh, few decades? I used to love it when I was a kid.
I think in the way it's used, it's been replaced by wax, butter, and shatter. Trichomes are still sold as kief.

Just checked my local shop and they have three kinds of hash listed.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:40 amkief
I have learned a new word today.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anybody else remember hash under glass?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:44 am Anybody else remember hash under glass?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive heard of it but never had any. Would if I could. I hope Biden changes things for me. Doubt anything will help until all the GOP in this state are in a nursing home.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:52 am
Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:44 am Anybody else remember hash under glass?
:D Isg + Google never disappoints.

Without seeing their diagram I can't be sure the details are the same, but the gist is right. One places one's hash...um, rock? I can't remember what we called a chunk of hash. One places it atop a paperclip stand near the edge of a table, lights it, covers it with a glass, and, when the glass is filled with smoke, gets down to table level and inhales from the gap at the edge of the table . One does this to maximize smoke inhalation and take the heat out of it.

Once, in the olden times, a friend whom nobody really liked bent down to take his turn. He inhaled so hard that he knocked the hash chunk off its stand. While we watched with bated breath, the red-hot coal crept along the table, picking up speed until it slammed down his gullet. Everybody except him laughed until we cried. He lived a couple of years beyond that, btw.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:wink:
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Kraken wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:13 am As I sparked up a bit of commercial bud that's almost as dense as hash, I wondered whatever happened to hashish? Anybody seen it in the past, oh, few decades? I used to love it when I was a kid.
You should be making your own with your trimmings. There are many techniques for separating the glands from the leaves. A quick and easy and fun way is to freeze the leaves with dry ice and shake the trichomes off through a sieve. Scrape up the powder, press it if you want or just sprinkle it in a joint...tasty!

The bud grinder I use has a fine screen that allows the trichomes to drop through and collect in a lower chamber. Once every 6 months or so I unscrew the bottom chamber and collect the kief. I then put it in a hand press and make 1 or 2 gram hash pucks.

We used to use the hot knife method for hash. Put two of your mom's butter knives in the fire on the stovetop until they are red hot. Drop a chunk of hash on one of the knives and squeeze it with the other knife. Inhale the sweet sweet vapor through a cut-off 2 liter bottle. Drop out of High School because you don't need that shit in your life.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:40 am
I think in the way it's used, it's been replaced by wax, butter, and shatter. Trichomes are still sold as kief.

Just checked my local shop and they have three kinds of hash listed.
Solventless live rosin is what all the cool kids are smoking these days. The bud is flash frozen and pressed. It preserves the terpenes better.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A local shop sells kief but its still useless CBD kief. maybe one day we'll have access to the real stuff legally.