QAnon Qonspiracy Cult

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: QAnon Qonspiracy Cult

Post by Holman »

There has been a spate of articles recently about QAnon crossing over from internet conspiracy to active vigilantism.

Here's a two-parter from The Daily Beast:

QAnon Promotes Pedo-Ring Conspiracy Theories. Now They’re Stealing Kids.

QAnon Incited Her to Kidnap Her Son and Then Hid Her From the Law.

Meanwhile, top Republicans are pretending that they've never heard of it and can't imagine how it relates to them.

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I love how he deflects from Qonan by repeating a Qonan conspiracy.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:07 pm The neighbor behind me has a workshop/garage/"entertaining" area that abuts my fence, and I noticed he put up this huge flag last week, which I didn't recognize. It was blue and had some writing around the logo which I couldn't make out without going to my fence and just gawking (thankfully it's hidden from view from my yard unless you are real close to the fence). I finally made out a huge "Q" in the middle. I don't even want to know what the phrase around the Q is.
Probably E Plurubus Anus (Anum?)
Was it "WWG1WGA?". That's their motto. "Where we go one (1) we go all."

The answer, of course, is "Hell in a hand basket."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

GOP

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I’m afraid this is going send some nutjobs to do something violent, but if the Republican Party doesn’t back away from this and it leads to their downfall that would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Holman

Post by Holman »

Right now their thing is to piggyback on #SavetheChildren, as of course ending child sex-trafficking can only be a good thing.

The Trump connection is this: "Q" (the secret, unnamed supposed insider whose Delphic info dumps fuel the whole thing) has promised that Donald Trump was chosen by the US military to serve as POTUS in order to thwart the Deep State and bring down the cabal of Satanic pedophile cannibals who rule the world.

You read that right. Every liberal from Hillary Clinton to Tom Hanks to your Trump-hating Facebook friend is part of a demonic conspiracy that must be stopped. You probably are too.

Scholars have been making comparisons to everything from 16th-century witch hunts to the Satanic/D&D/gangster-rap panics of the 1980s and 90s, but the difference now is that social media provides a self-contained, self-justifying alternative reality where belief is easy to come by and skepticism invites suspicion.

We are so fucked.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Once again, it doesn't surprise me that the people most likely to be pedophiles are leading the charge against child sexual abuse.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Have you even TRIED cannibalism yet? If you're a REAL liberal....
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:01 pm Have you even TRIED cannibalism yet? If you're a REAL liberal....
Dee and Charlie have...(It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia)
https://youtu.be/dW1LNP02miw
https://youtu.be/HWktYKwzV7U
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:28 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:07 pm The neighbor behind me has a workshop/garage/"entertaining" area that abuts my fence, and I noticed he put up this huge flag last week, which I didn't recognize. It was blue and had some writing around the logo which I couldn't make out without going to my fence and just gawking (thankfully it's hidden from view from my yard unless you are real close to the fence). I finally made out a huge "Q" in the middle. I don't even want to know what the phrase around the Q is.
Probably E Plurubus Anus (Anum?)
Was it "WWG1WGA?". That's their motto. "Where we go one (1) we go all."
Yep, I just looked it up. Dark blue flag, Q in the middle, etc. I left a nice review on Amazon also. :twisted: That'll show 'em!

One of the flags on Amazon has "for your mancave" in the description. My neighbor is "hiding" his deep in his backyard. Why not fly that shit proudly? Wear the hat, t-shirts and socks! Bumper stickers on your car! I want to be able to see the Stoopid coming from as far away as possible, personally.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Everything is fine.

Journalists need to get this right, immediately. QAnon is an *antisemitic* *mainstream* Republican conspiracy theory embraced by the *national party.*

Stop calling this a fringe thing. Stop pretending it's just wild crazy nuts. The national GOP believes this and is spreading it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Is this one QAnon, or just Trumpkins? (I can't tell the difference much):
The White House specifically directed the National Institutes of Health to cancel the multimillion-dollar research grant after President Donald Trump promoted an unfounded conspiracy theory that the pandemic coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, was released from a lab in Wuhan, China—a lab that collaborates with the nonprofit.

Now, the NIH has told the nonprofit, EcoHealth Alliance, that it may have its funding back—if it collects and hands over materials and information about the Chinese lab, which is part of the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV)...

... The list includes:

A sample of the SARS-CoV-2 isolate the Wuhan lab used to determine its genetic sequence at the beginning of the pandemic
An inspection from an outside group that would give “specific attention to addressing the question of whether WIV staff had SARS-CoV-2 in their possession prior to December 2019”
An explanation of purported restrictions at the WIV, including “diminished cellphone traffic in October 2019, and the evidence that there may have been roadblocks surrounding the facility from October 14-19, 2019”
An explanation for the “apparent disappearance” of a scientist who worked in the WIV coronavirus lab and was claimed by some on social media to be “patient zero” (the WIV has said in earlier statements that the person in question was a graduate student who went to work somewhere else after earning her master’s degree)
Is this Health research or Intelligence gathering? Don't we have someone supposedly more capable of the latter?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MIT Technology Review: Evangelicals are looking for answers online. They’re finding QAnon instead.
QAnon followers will often repeat a commandment they learned from Q: that in the presence of doubt, you should “do your own research.” And that impulse will feel especially familiar to evangelicals, says William Partin, a research analyst at Data & Society’s Disinformation Action Lab, who has been studying QAnon. “The kind of literacy that’s implied here—close reading and discussion of texts that are accepted as authoritative—has quite a bit in common with how evangelicals learn to read and interpret the Bible,” he says.

Around a quarter of American adults identify themselves as evangelical Protestants, including parts of the Baptist, Lutheran, and Presbyterian denominations. This makes evangelicalism larger than any other religious stream in the US, including Catholicism or mainline Protestantism.
[Kristen Howerton, a writer and family therapist who grew up evangelical,] believes it’s no accident that QAnon has taken hold among evangelicals now: they are facing tremendous cognitive dissonance. “I was raised evangelical Christian Republican. There is nothing that makes sense for Trump with any of the values that I was raised with,” she says. “There’s a part of me that thinks that this is a very elaborate false narrative to explain their continued loyalty to Trump.”

Wheaton College’s Ed Stetzer says that QAnon resonates with Christian religious thought by presenting itself as a force for good, designed to destroy evil. But Jason Thacker, chair of research in technology ethics at the Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission, says Christian followers of QAnon are wrong about what side it’s on. “QAnon is not about sex trafficking,” he says, but “taking advantage of gospel conventions and manipulating them for purposes of power.”
Right now, the evangelical leaders who are concerned about QAnon and misinformation in their communities are running to catch up. Many of them are too busy helping their congregations deal with the direct impact of the pandemic to spend much time countering conspiracy theories. Howerton thinks they’re just beginning the process of figuring out what to do about QAnon. She was planning on writing a newsletter to help her readers understand what’s going on with their relatives who have fallen into this. But a bigger, organized effort still hasn’t formed.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

More than half of Republicans find some truth in QAnon fantasies.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

we are witnessing the birth of a new religion
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

malchior

Post by malchior »

An unroll of the thread that starts below

Something interesting, troubling, and important is happening. This weekend there's an NBC special about online disinformation campaigns and recruitment pipelines for right-wing radicalism. On one level it's good; the media has historically ignored the complexity of the problem. There's a pretty serious problem, though: This isn't a new, emergent issue. The roots go back to the earliest days of the social web, and the specific networks they're covering in Sunday's special predate Trump.

A handful of Black women — writers, scholars, artists, thinkers — were at ground zero for the rise of those disinformation and radicalization networks before anyone else took the issue seriously. 2013, 2014, 2015… long before mainstream reporters knew a chan from a flan. It's not an exclusive list, but @Blackamazon? @so_treu? @sassycrass? @Karnythia? I was just online enough to notice ~weird stuff~ spilling onto Twitter in that era, and discovered they were doing the work of untangling "lulz-driven" disinfo campaigns that predated today's Q shit.

They wrote explainers, they mobilized of realtime bot-spotting networks, they wrote articles, explained exactly what was happening, got brigaded and harassed and threatened… and they kept waving flags and warning people: "Marginalized communities are just the training ground." And here we are. The networks have metastasized into nightmare shit straight out of cyberpunk dystopia. They've recruited your uncle and your grandmother and your failson cousin and they've built lucrative, militarized cults. They're a nontrivial component of resurgent fascism.

I'm not just angry because *those women have been doing the research and the documentation and warning everyone from @jack to @chrislhayes for years*, and I'm not just angry because mainstream journalism isn't centering their experience and input as the story finally """breaks""". I'm angry because one of the *reasons* this cluster of smart as fuck extremely online writers and researchers and thinkers was at ground zero was because they were *already* shitlisted by cliquey swaths of Obama-era white liberal digital media.

They called bullshit when one of the golden boys of hip-white-guy-feminism turned out to be a predator — and launched really significant critiques of the race-and-class gatekeeping in some of the most popular digital media outlets of the time who shielded him. 4chan didn't come up with the idea of exploiting racial fault lines in hashtag-feminism to power and protect harassment; Schwyzer did the R&D for them, they just ran with it. And it worked because the black women sounding alarms were inconvenient.

And then we got #endfathersday and #yourslipishowing and christ almighty g*mergate, which you still can't mention by name *six years later* because it became the model for mass-monetized hatemobbing that Q only refined. And those same women are still writing and researching and pitching and interviewing because they're smart as fuck and they have work to do. Writing them out of the story of what is happening right now isn't *failure to cite* — it's a refusal to engage with what's goign on.

That deep, consistent thread of exploiting pre-existing fault lines of racism, mysogyny, and xyonophoia is still baked into campaigns of disinfo and recruitment. No coverage can untangle it without pulling off the painful scabs and looking at how the shit snowball started. It will keep happening. It will keep growing. It will keep turning your loved ones and your coworkers into hate machines. It will keep putting literal 4chan cultists into Congress. It will keep destroying lives for lulz and patreon subs and the dream of ethnostate.

So yeah, tune in Sunday.

Read @Karnythia's books. Back @so_treu and @sassycrass's work on Patreon. Hire the ever-loving *fuck* out of @Blackamazon for your thinktank, because she'll turn your busted systems inside out. And demand that our journalists stop pretending the story started when Hillary lost. Okay, one more shot. The next time you hear the White House spokesbot of the week whinging about "cancel culture" to deflect critique of the day's latest atrocity?

Take a long hard moment and remember that didn't start as a right-wing talking point. hand-wringing about "Toxic Callout Culture" started as a way to frame black feminist critiques of all that shit upthread as "mean" and "unforgiving." The radical right isn't full of geniuses. They pick up whatever tools are at hand, and they're happy to use 'em.

We need to ask why those tools keep working.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Beyond the QAnon craziness - what is it with right-wingers and sex trafficking?

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The quote "we're living in an alternate reality" is very self-aware.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm still absolutely convinced that at some level, this is projection and that there are some right-wing folks involved in sex trafficking/child abuse. We see time and time again the right-wing playbook is to accuse others of what you're doing to deflect blame. The ferocity of this conspiracy leads me to believe they're covering up some really dark stuff.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It even more projection-y when you consider that the President is heavily tied to an actual bona fide sex trafficker to the rich.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:51 am The quote "we're living in an alternate reality" is very self-aware.
And yet, so not.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

That's the tragedy of it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm really hoping someone can do a welfare check on the Frank's children on Nov 3.

That casual "I'll just take them out to the garage, turn the car on, and be done with it" comment is horrific.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:I'm really hoping someone can do a welfare check on the Frank's children on Nov 3.

That casual "I'll just take them out to the garage, turn the car on, and be done with it" comment is horrific.
We've been watching shameless on Netflix, and that quote sounds straight out of the show!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Not directly QAnon related but an indication about why QAnon propaganda works. These people just drink up the lying.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Good lord, so much stupid. And no matter how many actual facts you showed them, they’d still wholeheartedly believe the derp.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Sounds like they believe all the lies Trump tells them.
Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

pr0ner wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:17 pm Sounds like they believe all the lies Trump tells them.
Another explanation is that they parrot Trump's lies to an interviewer because they hate the press and want to put up a strong front. Among themselves, they might be more like "Sure, Trump hasn't delivered all that, but it's because of the Democrats/RINOs/Deep State."
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Q identified?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:51 pm Q identified?
That's fascinating.

QAnon has always been about manipulating MAGA numbskulls. The question is whether the scheme was intended to (A) exploit and mock them or (B) exploit and motivate them. This theory seems to posit that it's (B), which is way more dangerous.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Everyone has been pointing at Watkins for awhile - I've seen mention of it throughout the year. I don't think it is him or to be more accurate - *just him*. I'd be not shocked to find out that there is a group behind it.

Here is another take at decoding this. The trouble for me is the qmap.pub website. That is one of the 'smoking guns' that investigators claim ties 8chan to QAnon. And the argument is he owns/runs both. However, a guy in NJ was identified as the developer behind qmap.pub. And when the stories started flying the site went to a landing page to redirect people to other qanon drop sites. Maybe they took it down to shift some heat off Watkins or onto Gelinas but the idea that one person (or him and his son) is behind this seems a bit thin at the moment.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The latest Q conspiracy is that Trump is not sick but is hiding out at Walter Reed in anticipation of massive arrests of the Deep State and other bad actors in the coming days.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Grifman wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:37 am The latest Q conspiracy is that Trump is not sick but is hiding out at Walter Reed in anticipation of massive arrests of the Deep State and other bad actors in the coming days.
Why would he hide out there? These conspiracies are so convoluted.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Facebook bans QAnon conspiracy theory accounts across all platforms
Facebook has banned all accounts linked to the QAnon conspiracy theory movement from its platforms.

"Starting today, we will remove Facebook Pages, Groups and Instagram accounts," the company said on Tuesday.

The move is a significant escalation to Facebook's earlier decision to remove or restrict groups and accounts sharing and promoting QAnon material.

QAnon is a conspiracy theory that says President Trump is waging a war against elite Satan-worshipping paedophiles.

In a statement released on Tuesday, Facebook said its staff had begun removing content and deleting groups and pages, but that "this work will take time and will continue in the coming days and weeks".

"Our Dangerous Organizations Operations team will continue to enforce this policy and proactively detect content for removal instead of relying on user reports," the statement added.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

So, wait until the political wind direction is more obvious, *then* do it? I imagine the reason it will "take a lot of time" is so they can back track if necessary.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Freyland wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:18 pm So, wait until the political wind direction is more obvious, *then* do it? I imagine the reason it will "take a lot of time" is so they can back track if necessary.
It's almost like the leadership at Facebook isn't ethical.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

It's not just Americans that are stupid, there are some not to bright Germans:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/07/tech/qan ... index.html
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Holman

Post by Holman »

I checked in on QAnon Twitter today (do a search for "Trust the Plan"), and the prevailing narrative seems to be that Trump is letting Biden claim the win because it's necessary to entrap Democrats in undeniable vote fraud just before the mass arrests begin.

Many of them are projecting 100% certainty that the Dem totals are based on fake ballots that will be exposed because the REAL ballots (currently in the possession of the military, apparently) were all printed with a secret watermark that the Dems didn't know about.

We are therefore just days away from Trump revealing the truth, proving legitimate victory, and having Dems punished and their party leaders executed for treason.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Reminds me of seeing I'M STILL FOR NIXON bumper stickers.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter