Honda Does Indeed Suck

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Octavious

Honda Does Indeed Suck

Post by Octavious »

2018 Honda Civic 33,000 miles and I've had the following issues:
  • Drivers side window will not roll all the way up unless I hold it. This is pending a part to be replaced...
  • Windshield wiper motor went bad and the wipers would not turn off. EVEN WITH THE CAR OFF :grund:
  • AC has now broken TWICE :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • 1st time no ac at all and fixed under warranty. (There's a recall for a bad part which makes all your coolant leak out)
  • 2nd time is today where all of the sudden you only get cold air from the passenger returns... Driver side is hot air :grund:
  • Oh and there was a major recall on the turbo engine where I had to bring it in to get the software adjusted.
I will never buy another Honda after this and what happened with my CRV. If you think they are a reliable brand I will tell you from my experience it's the exact opposite. I've never had a worse car... :evil: Oh and I asked that considering all my problems could you provide a loaner car? They said I would have to wait until the 28th. I'm not amused...
Last edited by Octavious on Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Re: I hate Honda

Post by coopasonic »

In related news, lightning has hit my house twice. It happens. Data > anecdotal evidence.

On the other hand, I could totally see you, specifically, never wanting to see a Honda again and you are well justified in that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Multiple people in my family (including myself currently, with a 2017 CRV) throughout the past three decades have had nothing but phenomenal experiences with Honda’s, both with the cars themselves and our respective dealer experiences. I’m sorry that yours is on the opposite end of the spectrum.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Wow. I had an experience like that with a Ford once, it was used though and luckily bought their used car warranty. Got my money's worth. Sure turned me off to Ford. All my dad will buy is Ford and he's had pretty good luck though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I have a 2018 Honda Accord that has had no issues other than the occasional electrical gremlin.
Hodor.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

My 2016 Honda has been perfect. Not only that, I got a free new battery because they'd checked the battery a week before it died. Then I got a $100 service for free because they were late. Maybe you have a lemon?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My 2016 Honda Civic sedan had the AC issue. That’s a big problem for them. Big enough they had to just admit they screwed up and then issue the recall. However, they only pay for the condenser and a refill. Since the problem often takes out the pump when it goes bad, folks are still stuck with a 1200 or so repair bill. This happened to me back in April. Thankfully I remembered that I had bought the warranty extension at a pretty decent discount, so that covered it.

Still, I have zero expectations that it won’t happen again. They really screwed up and a LOT of people are disappointed in Honda over this and a few other issues that never used to happen. While I’ve had no other issues as large as the AC problem, I do have to say that I’ll probably go back to being a Toyota man when I decide to trade this one in.
Covfefe!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Back in 2011 we bought a 2008 Honday Odyssey w/ something like 48k miles on it.

Didn't have too many issues for the first 4-5 years. In the last few though rear motor wiper went, had to have A/C fixed 3-4 times (under car hoses/stuff keeps going, recently from dry rot), passenger sliding door made odd shutting noise when my wife did a grocery store pick up (where they bring your order to your car), loud bang, wouldn't shut after that. Took a $300+ part to fix that (and maybe $100 for labor at a body shop; my usual mechanic is not good w/ that kind of stuff, he did try to shut the door ajar light/audio alert off - which seemed to work but the van battery kept dying, and that's w/ a new battery from 6 months ago; got another new battery for free at least - no battery problems since replacing that part).

Radio issues (6 CD changer, wasn't loading CDs; didn't have a usb flash drive port to just use that; replacement has that feature), they wanted $1200 or so for a new radio (plus labor) - even the parts person told me everyone just gets an aftermarket one instead of replacing it.

Overall though, pretty happy with the van (though we were concerned with regular battery issues til we got the sliding door fixed).

I get Toyota cars. The 2003 brand new purchased Corolla did really well until 2017 and t-boning the SUV that pulled out in front of me in a 45 MPH zone w/ no time for me to do anything. It was a good foot shorter after that. The replacement Camry (it was used, 2017 model bought in December 2017, had like 31k miles, but was about 33% below MSRP - 2018 they had new models, so the 2017's dropped in value). No significant issues with it so far.

Chevy Venture that I bought used (2-3 years old, 40-50k miles) - bought the extended warranty for $3600 - got my money back in savings on repairs. After about 5 years, it actually had rusted out something in the top where the luggage rack (or whatever that is up there) connects causing water to come in over the passenger sun visor. Never buying one of those again.

Bought a used Ford Taurus - after having a mechanic I'd been using for most work check it out. 6 months later, blown head gasket - unimpressed with Fords.

Overall, I'd consider another Honda and definitely go for a Toyota. Not big on domestic brands though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm having a similar experience with my used Buick. But then again, it's a 2000, so I suppose it's to be expected.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've been a Toyota man all my life, but my mom and brother have driven Hondas for years with few if any issues.

However, I did have an incident that really soured me on them (not the brand's fault, but the dealership).

I went with my mom to the Honda dealer when she was looking for a new car, and as it happens I was looking for one too. The dealer was an arrogant prick from the get-go, but I was polite and I test drove a Pilot and my mom test drove a CR-V.

So it comes to negotiation time and I asked if there was a possibility we could get a good deal since we could be potentially driving two cars off the lot that day. The dealer's response: "I don't have to make deals, this is a Honda dealership. I have people lined up to buy my cars."

I was rendered pretty speechless, so I just told him that I wouldn't be one of those people and left. I've never been back.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:44 am So it comes to negotiation time and I asked if there was a possibility we could get a good deal since we could be potentially driving two cars off the lot that day. The dealer's response: "I don't have to make deals, this is a Honda dealership. I have people lined up to buy my cars."

I was rendered pretty speechless, so I just told him that I wouldn't be one of those people and left. I've never been back.
That's the exact opposite of my Honda buying experience from 2018. I did an online car buying thing from USAA so I walked into the dealership with a really good price to begin with. While I was there the first day, my sales guy brought over the manager of the dealership who, without being prompted, offered me another $700 off if I came back by the next day to buy the car because it was the end of the month and they had sales goals to hit (yes, he told me this).

Needless to say, I bought the car the next day.
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

A have leased 3 Hondas and bought one with no problemo.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Montag

Post by Montag »

So I have 2013 and 2014 Focci with the known design defects on the transmission that Ford shipped anyway. Ford is dead to me.
words
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We got a really low price on Wife's 2010 Fit that was last-year's model, and it's still going strong with just over 60k miles. The only noteworthy problem was a pollution sensor that kept going off; we had it in for repair three times, each one more expensive than the last, before they admitted that they'd been through their procedure manual and run out of ideas. They called in a master mechanic who found a spiderweb blocking a line. That's hardly a Honda fault, but I haven't been back to their dealership since then.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:44 am I've been a Toyota man all my life, but my mom and brother have driven Hondas for years with few if any issues.

However, I did have an incident that really soured me on them (not the brand's fault, but the dealership).

I went with my mom to the Honda dealer when she was looking for a new car, and as it happens I was looking for one too. The dealer was an arrogant prick from the get-go, but I was polite and I test drove a Pilot and my mom test drove a CR-V.

So it comes to negotiation time and I asked if there was a possibility we could get a good deal since we could be potentially driving two cars off the lot that day. The dealer's response: "I don't have to make deals, this is a Honda dealership. I have people lined up to buy my cars."

I had the same thing happen to me as well which is why I've bought Toyotas until this last car. I would have still bought a Toyota but the local dealership didn't have the Corolla I wanted.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Lorini wrote:I had the same thing happen to me as well which is why I've bought Toyotas until this last car. I would have still bought a Toyota but the local dealership didn't have the Corolla I wanted.
I'm still driving my 2005 Corolla. Have never put any money into it other than standard maintenance. The clear coat's peeling on the roof and it has a few bumps and dings, but other than that it's still purring along like a champ.

I was actually planning on buying a truck this year, but with me transitioning to work from home I never drive anymore. And on weekends we take my wife's car since it has the room for the kids. I don't really see a need to take on a car payment for something that will just sit in the driveway all week.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm bummed that Honda isn't selling the Fit in the US anymore. Americans aren't buying entry-level sedans -- we would rather buy a low-mileage used car with all the gadgets and gewgaws than a stripped-down new car.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i have never owned a motor vehicle so i don't have any personal anecdotes to add to this thread. however, because i was bored, i made a list of all the cars/trucks my dad has owned over the years- the first and last Honda was back in the early 70s. i said to him that from now on, he should just continue with the trend that every new vehicle should come from a different manufacturer. he did say he will never buy another German make (Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, VW or whatever).

* indicates still owned

2019 Subaru Outback *
2016 Toyota Camry *
2008 Ford Taurus (dad's been looking to sell this one for a while, but hasn't yet) *
2003 Nissan Maxima
2001 Saab Viggen 93 (this is actually my mom's car, but it's only in use during the summer) *
1996 Pontiac Bonneville 6000
1990 Buick Park Avenue
1985 Chevrolet Citation II
1983 Mazda GLC
1980 Chevrolet Citation
1970-72? Pontiac Ventura
1974 Chevrolet Blazer
1975 Ford F100
1973 Honda Civic
1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1965 Dodge Cornet 500
1966 Pontiac Gran Prix
1956-58? Rambler Wagon
1956 Ford Crown Victoria
1960? Volkswagen Beetle
1951-52?? Chevy ????
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Kraken wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:22 pm I'm bummed that Honda isn't selling the Fit in the US anymore. Americans aren't buying entry-level sedans -- we would rather buy a low-mileage used car with all the gadgets and gewgaws than a stripped-down new car.
The Honda Fit had/has a really high fatality rate. So they might be doing you a favor. :lol: I bring my car in tomorrow. Lets see what they say. It's just so frustrating to have so many issues on a car that i bought because I wanted to avoid issues. :doh:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Holy crap. I also have a 2018 Honda Civic....and it's been nothing but a joy. I did get the manual version, though. And I had my previous Civic (a 2003) for 15 years and put over 200,000 on it before I finally decided to let it go. (developed some clutch issue that I played around with but couldn't solve, and didn't want to dump money into a 15 year old car)

Which isn't to take away from your experience, Octavious. That sounds absolutely miserable. :(
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I love the car otherwise. The ac thing is a known issue so I guess it could be worse.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Bad condenser which they had to replace. My warranty expires in about 2 months so thank god for that breaking now and not next year. That means they have now replaced the condenser and the compressor on a car with 33,000 miles. I almost want to trade it in at this point, but I only have 2.5 years left to pay and it would be nice to not have a car payment. Bah

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Because I'm insane and love to haggle with car dealerships I checked what I could get from a dealership before they tell me to just leave. :lol: For a 2020 Honda Civic Hatchback which is nicer than mine (I know the title of the thread ;) ) They would give me 15,150 for my car and 23500 for their car. That's a really good deal, but something told me to just slow my roll and think about it a bit. That was the price where they said take it or leave it. They had enough of me. :lol: It didn't help their case that they tried to start by offering 12,000 for my car. That's super slimy and lame.

On the plus side it has much better safety features (Lane departure, front car sensing crap...) And a couple of other nice features it being a hatch we can buy some larger stuff. I like the styling of the hatch and it's the same awesome blue that my current car is. My car is going to need new brakes soon and the warranty expires in a couple of months. And this hasn't been my best car with the AC problems...

Downsides....I'm going to have this one paid off in 2.5 years... I don't love constantly owing on cars... Sigh... Need to think about it some more. Without dropping a dime I would have had a payment within 30 bucks of my current car. Wouldn't have to worry about repairs for another 3 years... And it's much more useful. Having two regular sedans is kind of annoying. Last but not least my daughter starts driving in 3 years. The hatch with the extra safety features is pretty nice to have...

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I think the main thing is not to take the haggling personally. It's who they are, it's how they are trained. Just take it in stride and make sure you know what you want, and to keep going forward with that. Naturally try to do some research to see what's reasonable, but if it turns out they are truly offering a good deal then how they offer it is unimportant (in my opinion of course).
Black Lives Matter
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I purchased a Honda CRV in 2012...and have had no issues...like, at all. I've been so surprised that I considered purchasing another one, but like the look of the new Hyundais coming out in 2021.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

And I'm trading it in. I emailed them an offer. They called me back and left a message saying they were firm on what they offered. I emailed back and said that's cool I'll just wait. 10 minutes later they gave me very close to what I wanted.

15,000 for my car. It has a cracked fog lamp, needs new brakes soon and well you saw all the issues I've had.
23,500 for a 2020 EX Hatchback...

The original offer that they were firm on was 14,300. I had a typo above.

I will be dropping 0 money. And frankly I don't trust this car. I feel like I just got a bad one from the batch. The only downside is that my Trunk is full of crap and I don't have time to remove it before going. :lol: Payments will still be under 400 bucks and the interest rate is 1.9. :horse:

Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Yeah, sounds like you got a lemon. I'd be seriously tempted to trade it as well.

I hope the new car works out for you.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Glad you are happy with your decision!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Seems like a no brainer. I can easily afford the payment. It's only 20-25 dollars more than what I'm paying now. I could put money down but what's the point? And now we have one car that can carry a decent amount of stuff. Two sedans is kind of a pain in the ass.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Octavious wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:35 pm
I will never buy another Honda after this and what happened with my CRV. If you think they are a reliable brand I will tell you from my experience it's the exact opposite. I've never had a worse car... :evil:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:55 pm
Octavious wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:35 pm
I will never buy another Honda after this and what happened with my CRV. If you think they are a reliable brand I will tell you from my experience it's the exact opposite. I've never had a worse car... :evil:
Ya I know. I just think I got unlucky. We'll see how dumb I feel in 2-3 years. :lol:

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

After all the haggling.... My car payment only went up 12 bucks and I didn't pay a dime. 1.9 interest rate and it has like a billion more safety features. The lane centering thing is really weird and I turned it off right away. I guess on a long drive on the highway it would be cool, but having the car mess with my steering is weird.... Super happy... I feel like it was a good move and I got a great deal. Hopefully this Honda treats me well.

Oh and I get free oil changes for life. That's well awesome. :mrgreen:

*edit*
And I changed the title. Lets see how this ages. :lol:

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: I'm No Longer Displeased With Honda

Post by ImLawBoy »

The thread title change made me chuckle.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I had a Saturn VUE for a few years and hated it with everything I am as a human. I was sitting at my desk hating it, and decided enough was enough. I drove to a local dealer and found a Pontiac Grand Prix that I wanted. Gave them the VUE and $500 and drove away with the GP and no payment. Easiest thing I’ve ever done.

Congrats on the switch Octavious.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

:lol: :lol: :lol: - Title change.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The thing is that if I look at any other brand it's either one of two things. Too expensive... Or too boring. Every time I look at a Honda the damn way they build their cars just appeals to me so much even though I had so much trouble with the CRV and the Civic. I think the CRV mayyyy have bit our fault of waiting too long on oil changes. The Civic just seemed to be a lemon. Who knows it may have had no more problems for a ton of miles, but we'll never know.

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:44 am I've been a Toyota man all my life, but my mom and brother have driven Hondas for years with few if any issues.

I find this funny, because I almost posted a very similar story but decided against it. I had the same thing happen to me when I was a young buyer looking to purchase my first new car. An arrogant dealer expressed similar sentiments, and I bought a Toyota instead. Was pleased with that purchase and was a Toyota guy for decades.

Finally bought a Fit a few years back for various reasons. Not particularly impressed. Certainly won't be buying up the chain for a more expensive Honda in the future. Probably back to Toyota for the next car. But I'll check reliability reports in a few years and see where they stand.

I'm glad things worked out for you Octavious. The title change cracked me up.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Little Raven wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:54 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: - Title change.
Interestingly this thread still shows up as "I hate Honda" in the forum preview (since this is the top thread in the sub-forum at the moment).
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:05 am
Interestingly this thread still shows up as "I hate Honda" in the forum preview (since this is the top thread in the sub-forum at the moment).
It only did for Baronquen, because he kept the old title in his subject line.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:09 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:05 am
It only did for Baronquen, because he kept the old title in his subject line.
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.