Amalur: Destiny and Fate(Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning now

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Alefroth

Re: Amalur: Destiny and Fate(Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning now

Post by Alefroth »

I'm still trying to get through the original. I've got almost 200 hours and thought I was just about at the end, but just opened up two more areas. It just goes on and on.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’d say that if you own the original on PC, there’s very little reason to spring for this upgrade. The visual upgrade is negligible at best (in most cases, it’s honestly difficult to see any difference), and the game otherwise plays exactly like the original. My understanding is that the level rebalancing really only comes into effect at higher levels.

Absolutely horrific load times aside, it is nice to be playing it on the PS4, but there’s no practical advantage to console vs PC.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I really couldn't afford it, but I got the upgrade. The elements that the leveling/loot changes fix are some of the big reasons that I never finished it before, and why I've avoided going back since. So much loot, and almost none of it usable, zones that I outleveled before I saw 10% of what they had to offer, or before I even arrived in them. They address both of those.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

...and now I'm trying to decide between finesse and sorcery. I like the finesse gameplay, but it's what I put umpteen hours into the first time, and I'd hate to burn out early.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Sorcery gets obscenely OP. Takes any challenge out of it.

Not sure about the others since I went all magic when I played it. I've occasionally thought about trying a run as melee instead.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

TheMix wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:37 pm Not sure about the others since I went all magic when I played it. I've occasionally thought about trying a run as melee instead.
My plan is to go all melee. So far, so good through the first 5 hours..,we’ll see how it goes.

Can’t you respect at any time via a Fateweaver? I haven’t met the second one yet, but I’m vaguely remembering that’s how it worked.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My advice to anyone considering this on PS4 is...don't. Seriously, just don't.

The gameplay is fine, but it's an absolute disaster from a technical standpoint. Frame rates absolutely plummet whenever more than 2-3 enemies are on the screen at once. Sometimes enemies can hit you, but you can't reach them because the landscape hasn't loaded in correctly (I had a mob beat on me for about 10 seconds before the piece of grass between me and him finally loaded). There's pop-in all over the place. I've mentioned the load times, but here's an example:

I had to turn in a quest in Gorhart after finding a magic bauble in the wild. I fast-traveled back to Gorhart (a 60 second load), entered the Inn (another 60 second load), questgiver instructed me to hand it in to someone else in another building so I exited the Inn (another 60 second load), walked about 15 feet to the building next door and entered it (another 60 second load), turned in the quest, and then exited the building (another 60 second load). So it took me over 5 minutes of loading time to complete a quest that literally took about 20 seconds to turn in.

Hopefully it all fares better on PC, because this PS4 version is just a mess. Completely unacceptable for what is essentially a 2012 game.

All that said, the core game is still quite fun...when I have the patience to deal with the technical nonsense.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just started this afternoon and am not that far in, but I've had zero issues on the PC (well, other than a gnome with a weird head that twisted 180 degrees...)