[Skepticism] NFL 2020 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: [Anticipation] NFL 2020 Season

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:58 pm
stessier wrote:I'm not sure the ratings will mean much this year. I haven't missed a game in 10 years and have no plans to watch this year. It has nothing to do with the NFL.
Why?
The games I watch aren't shown in my market and I do not consider my bar options to be safe. Beyond that, I've found that the current world situation doesn't allow me to concentrate/enjoy sports at the moment (which is admittedly an "all in my head" thing). It sucks.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I watch Red Zone. Much better than watching actual games, at least for me. I'm finally getting access to it again after five years without it (moved) and am really looking forward it.
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Lorini wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:17 pm I watch Red Zone. Much better than watching actual games, at least for me. I'm finally getting access to it again after five years without it (moved) and am really looking forward it.
Once you go red zone you'll never want to go back, it's like mainlining football.

As far as ratings go, people are creatures of habit. The habit that has been formed is training camps open and fans get news of that. Anticipation builds and then preseason rolls around. People might not watch preseason games but they are aware of them. This builds anticipation for the upcoming season opener.

Now, remove all that. Toss in the stress that comes in from losing your job. Now toss in the stress of having your kids home all day too. Now toss in the stress of no other part of your life, not even going to the movies, is normal anymore. Who is up for some football! Yay!

The good news is there are hardcore fans like us who DID watch this game. If the NFL can keep the season going I think momentum will build and the Super Bowl will be the game to set ratings records. I think the public just needs to see some proof that the virus won't end the season prematurely before they get invested in it.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I don't think it's too surprising that the ratings were down last night. For one, at least for me, the start of the season just didn't seem to have the usual hype with no pre-season games. I practically forgot the season was about to start until late last week when I started getting a flurry of emails about FF leagues. Secondly, at least with the friends I've talked to, most of us don't expect there to be a full season. If that sentiment is common, it may not be surprising that some people are tuning it out this year.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote:The games I watch aren't shown in my market and I do not consider my bar options to be safe. Beyond that, I've found that the current world situation doesn't allow me to concentrate/enjoy sports at the moment (which is admittedly an "all in my head" thing). It sucks.
That does suck. It’s one of the only things I can enjoy at the moment. Forgetting everything and just watching football last night felt very good and normal.

But if you can’t, you can’t.

If the Bills weren’t on the cusp of something, perhaps I would be more likely to punch out for a while. But I’ve done an awful lot of suffering to get to this point. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I can’t stand Red Zone. I agree that it’s like mainlining football into your brain, but after six hours I feel like i didn’t watch anything. I guess I need context to enjoy football. :)
Make up bags of change
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:16 pm
stessier wrote:The games I watch aren't shown in my market and I do not consider my bar options to be safe. Beyond that, I've found that the current world situation doesn't allow me to concentrate/enjoy sports at the moment (which is admittedly an "all in my head" thing). It sucks.
That does suck. It’s one of the only things I can enjoy at the moment. Forgetting everything and just watching football last night felt very good and normal.

If the Bills weren’t on the cusp of something, perhaps I would be more likely to punch out for a while. But I’ve done an awful lot of suffering to get to this point. :)
Ohhhhh, you have hope. Maybe that's enough to get me to watch the Patriots extinguish it yet again. :wink:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:24 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:16 pm

Ohhhhh, you have hope. Maybe that's enough to get me to watch the Patriots extinguish it yet again. :wink:
Yeah, the upside to this season is that people aren't expecting much beyond mediocrity from the Patriots this year, and everyone seems to be picking the Bills to win the AFC East. So if the Patriots have a good year this year, it'll be sweeter than normal.

The downside being there's a legit chance that they will be mediocre.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

[Anticipation] NFL 2020 Season

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote:Ohhhhh, you have hope. Maybe that's enough to get me to watch the Patriots extinguish it yet again. :wink:
Sometimes malice is the only way.

I am not sure what to make of the Pats, as it seemed like you guys had a LOT of COVID opt outs.
Make up bags of change
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:19 pm I can’t stand Red Zone. I agree that it’s like mainlining football into your brain, but after six hours I feel like i didn’t watch anything. I guess I need context to enjoy football. :)
Well I'm not paying for DirectTV so watching full games for my team the Raiders is out. At least with Redzone I get to see them sometimes (mostly when teams are scoring against them, Gruden is such a moron). I can watch Rams games or Charger games but those teams don't interest me.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That brings up an interesting point - with few or no fans are blackouts done?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Lorini wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:14 pm Well I'm not paying for DirectTV so watching full games for my team the Raiders is out. At least with Redzone I get to see them sometimes (mostly when teams are scoring against them, Gruden is such a moron). I can watch Rams games or Charger games but those teams don't interest me.
This is the first year in a long time that I won't have Sunday Ticket to watch Bills games. Switching to NFL Game Pass, which is cheaper, and no DirecTV overhead. Need to watch through a VPN and pretend to be in Europe though.
Make up bags of change
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:05 pm
Lorini wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:14 pm Well I'm not paying for DirectTV so watching full games for my team the Raiders is out. At least with Redzone I get to see them sometimes (mostly when teams are scoring against them, Gruden is such a moron). I can watch Rams games or Charger games but those teams don't interest me.
This is the first year in a long time that I won't have Sunday Ticket to watch Bills games. Switching to NFL Game Pass, which is cheaper, and no DirecTV overhead. Need to watch through a VPN and pretend to be in Europe though.
Are you going with the beret, baguette, and wine or the lederhosen, pretzel, and beer?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im sorry but I cant read this thread's title without thinking.....

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

My schedule has been shifted to Sundays. Thanks 2020. But I am working from home, so I should be able to watch. But me and the Mrs are going to crowd into my home office. I guess we will see how long that lasts.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Can you imagine if someone woke up from a coma and looked at the TV to see the "Washington Football Team" playing in front of cardboard cutouts, with everyone wearing masks and the players holding hands and singing Kumbaya. They would think this can't be my universe, so they switch the channel and see Tom Brady starting for the Tampa Bay Bucs. They would think they fell through a hole in the space-time continuum.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Lions are gonna Lions. Go Bears!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:53 pm
stessier wrote:Ohhhhh, you have hope. Maybe that's enough to get me to watch the Patriots extinguish it yet again. :wink:
Sometimes malice is the only way.

I am not sure what to make of the Pats, as it seemed like you guys had a LOT of COVID opt outs.
66 in the league, 8 on the Pats, so 3% of the league lost 12% of the players. Don't forget all of the free agents, as well: their starting C, Jamie Collins, Van Noy, Danny Shelton, Elandon Roberts, Nate Ebner.... 3 LBs, a special teams ace and a DT. With the opt-outs and the Harmon trade half of their defense is gone. In my opinion the order of importance for the opt-outs (from most to least) goes:
  • Dont'a Hightower LB - Our main LB who calls the signals.
    Marcus Cannon - RT - Ugh.
    Patrick Chung S - One of our 3 starting-caliber rotational safeties. This one will hurt more after the Duron Harmon trade.
    Brandon Bolden - RB - Special teams, really, with a little RB sprinkled in.
    Marqise Lee - WR - New to the team, but used to be decent so.... who knows?
    Matt LaCosse - TE - He would have been on the roster competing with the rookies for a starting spot, but last year his total season stats weren't even good enough to beat a decent Gronk game.
    Danny Vitale - FB - In the mix to win the FB spot, but IDK.
    Some backup OL whose name I can't remember.
All that said.... good game today with the exception of the pass interference plays and Harry fumbling at the end zone when he wasn't sure whether to extend the ball or protect it.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

ImLawBoy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:25 pm Lions are gonna Lions. Go Bears!
I, for one, thank them for their efforts to return us to normalcy.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

ImLawBoy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:25 pm Lions are gonna Lions. Go Bears!
Yep. Another Sunday where I question my choices in life.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

After that loss, Brady looked...dare I say it?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Jaymann wrote:After that loss, Brady looked...dare I say it?
He looked like a QB in a Bruce Arians offense.
Make up bags of change
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Meanwhile Philip Rivers showed midseason form by finding a way to lose to Gardner Mildew and the Jacksonville Tank-uars.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

I really hate niner vs cardinals. You are guaranteed for a boring slugfest. And the outcome can go either way

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I thought the Bears defense was great on that last drive. "Just let the offense do whatever they want. They'll fuck it up. They're the Lions."
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

My favorite part of the Ravens game was the drive where the Browns had a 3rd and 41. That and we escaped without major injuries. Onto week 2.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Amazed that Gruden was actually able to get a win.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

8 sacks for the WFT, and 27 unanswered points after falling behind 17-0 equals an unexpected win for me today!
Hodor.
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Lorini wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:59 pm Amazed that Gruden was actually able to get a win.
To be fair, he won’t be able to play the pathetic Panthers every week.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

As to all the quarterbacks we heard about during the off season ad nauseam:

Brady - Lost
Burrow - Lost
Dak - Lost
Mayfield - Lost
Rivers - Lost
Cam - Won
Trubisky - Won
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

The Cardinals QB looked like he's taken the next step and become elite. It's impressive to me not because I didn't think he was good, but because he looks so poised and in command of things but this is a year when the lack of normal training and preparation doesn't make it easy to excel right out of the gate. If he looks this good when everyone is just winging it, it implies he still has room to get even better next year.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Ænima wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:42 pm
Lorini wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:59 pm Amazed that Gruden was actually able to get a win.
To be fair, he won’t be able to play the pathetic Panthers every week.
:cry:

The Panthers seem to have forgotten that McCaffrey is by far their best player. I guess that can happen with a new coaches, but still pretty annoying.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:10 pm I thought the Bears defense was great on that last drive. "Just let the offense do whatever they want. They'll fuck it up. They're the Lions."
I'm currently NFL team-less (was a Raiders fan, but refuse to root for any team in Las Vegas), so I've most just been bouncing around to root for all the Utah players in the NFL. Was glad to see Jaylon Johnson come up with that PBU to seal the game, especially after he got absolutely truck-sticked earlier in the game.

Pretty decent start for a rookie corner.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Somehow the Browns looked even worse than the Browns normally look. I have a feeling their "new" head coach will be the next 1 and done in Cleveland. Followed by Mayfield getting the boot and Beckham getting traded for a 3rd round pick in 2025.
FTE
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Bet Patriot fans aren't quite as upset with Brady leaving as they were after Sunday. Cam was really good and Brady was so so. Looking forward to how both evolve over the season. At the end of the day, Belicheck is a way better coach than Arians but Brady is probably a way better QB than Newton, so we'll have to see how it works out.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm sure Belichick is loving it. But the Pats aren't going anywhere in the playoffs, so how does Belichick get his QB draft pick?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:22 am Bet Patriot fans aren't quite as upset with Brady leaving as they were after Sunday. Cam was really good and Brady was so so. Looking forward to how both evolve over the season. At the end of the day, Belicheck is a way better coach than Arians but Brady is probably a way better QB than Newton, so we'll have to see how it works out.
Honestly, I don't think many Patriots fans were all that upset about Brady leaving. He's 43, and I think people generally recognized that he was going to be gone one way or another soon. I think the preference would've been for Brady to retire as a Patriot, but if he was going to leave Tampa Bay was a fine destination from a fan perspective (in the NFC, not a rival).
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Are Pats fans happy with the choice of Newton?
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:28 am I'm sure Belichick is loving it. But the Pats aren't going anywhere in the playoffs, so how does Belichick get his QB draft pick?
I don't know anything about that division (except the Patriots) so if the Pats aren't going to be in the playoffs who will be?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:39 am Are Pats fans happy with the choice of Newton?
My sense is generally yes.
Black Lives Matter.