[Skepticism] NFL 2020 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lorini

Re: [Anticipation] NFL 2020 Season

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:42 am
Lorini wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:39 am Are Pats fans happy with the choice of Newton?
My sense is generally yes.
That's good, I like him. I felt he got a bad rap after his loss in the SB. I like mobile QB's, I think they bring creativity to the game.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:40 am
Jaymann wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:28 am I'm sure Belichick is loving it. But the Pats aren't going anywhere in the playoffs, so how does Belichick get his QB draft pick?
I don't know anything about that division (except the Patriots) so if the Pats aren't going to be in the playoffs who will be?
FWIW everyone seems to be picking the Bills to win the division this year. They were good last year, and have a really good defense.

Though a lot of previews I've seen have the Patriots as a wild card.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lorini wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:40 am
Jaymann wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:28 am I'm sure Belichick is loving it. But the Pats aren't going anywhere in the playoffs, so how does Belichick get his QB draft pick?
I don't know anything about that division (except the Patriots) so if the Pats aren't going to be in the playoffs who will be?
They may well reach the playoffs in that weak division, but the chances of getting past KC and the Ravens are slim and none.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Belicheck has a pretty good record on knowing when to let players go, so I wouldn't be surprised if Brady struggles this year. That said, Tampa ostensibly has weapons that Brady hadn't had in NE for awhile, so Tampa is probably the best place for him to have a chance to succeed.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

The game I watched, Seahawks vs Falcons, was a no-fan game. I honestly don't know how many of those there were. But it was very jarring.
Not a lot of shots of the seats, because this is football. But they need to put some serious work into the fan reaction timing and such.
I appreciate that they put in simulated fan noises, but early in the game, Falcons sacked Wilson. And thats when the reality dysfunction started and the fan sounds became a distraction instead of an addition.

In my opinion, they ought to hire 2 people for each game. Each person is assigned to one of the teams, and each person has their own slider for Cheer and Boo and Groan. The games director can decide beforehand what percentage of fans from each team are in the stadium, which controls how loud each of the sliders could potentially get. So for that game, it could be assumed 90% are Falcons and 10% are Hawks, so the Hawks sliders could only control 10% of the crowd noise, while the Falcons sliders control 90% of the crowd noise.

Then each person is responsible for shoving those things up and down in real time reaction to game events, mimicking what their assigned fans would do.

I wonder who even I could send that suggestion to?
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The NFL has decided that fan noise at the discretion of the home team, so each game was slightly different than the others. I'm not sure if any of them were good per se, but some were certainly less distracting.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:52 am I'm currently NFL team-less (was a Raiders fan, but refuse to root for any team in Las Vegas),
Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:32 pm The NFL has decided that fan noise at the discretion of the home team, so each game was slightly different than the others. I'm not sure if any of them were good per se, but some were certainly less distracting.
When the Eagles took the field for their game against the WFT yesterday, Washington played the sound of crickets chirping over the speakers in the stadium.

Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That's fucking brilliant.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm looking forward to the inevitable 2021 NFL investigation of the Patriots piping in random playcall sounds when opposing teams are getting ready to hike the ball.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

How about piping in a Homer Simpson "DOH!" every time the opponents make a mistake.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

stimpy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:06 pm Ratings down over 16% during a time when people are craving sports and entertainment and are mostly home bound.
Good job, NFL!!!
I see your game and raise you a game.

Spoiler:
Richard Deitsch @richarddeitsch · 38m
Fox says the @saints win over the @bucs drew a 16.2 overnight rating.
That is a four-year high for a FOX NFL Week 1 game.
The national (final) number comes out Tuesday including viewership info prior to the out-of-home viewership.
One conclusion: The NFL isn't dead.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:44 pmIn my opinion, they ought to hire 2 people for each game. Each person is assigned to one of the teams, and each person has their own slider for Cheer and Boo and Groan. The games director can decide beforehand what percentage of fans from each team are in the stadium, which controls how loud each of the sliders could potentially get. So for that game, it could be assumed 90% are Falcons and 10% are Hawks, so the Hawks sliders could only control 10% of the crowd noise, while the Falcons sliders control 90% of the crowd noise.

Then each person is responsible for shoving those things up and down in real time reaction to game events, mimicking what their assigned fans would do.

I wonder who even I could send that suggestion to?
If this isn't a job for machine learning, what is? I envision a system where they use the video and audio from thousands of games as the database. Then the machine learning tool analyzes those videos to learn what kind of crowd noise happens during the game between plays, during plays, and during notable moments such as turnovers and scores. Further analysis can determine what effect home/away brings, what effect weather has on crowds, what effect a game being nationally televised has, and so on. Then the machine learning tool can be networked to a software tool that applies the specified crowd noise to live games in real time.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

stessier wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:43 pm
stimpy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:06 pm Ratings down over 16% during a time when people are craving sports and entertainment and are mostly home bound.
Good job, NFL!!!
I see your game and raise you a game.

Geez....I wonder why that game drew drive-by viewers.....
May not be dead, but trending towards wheezing....
SNF has massive 28% drop
He/Him/His/Porcupine
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Good for the NFL for putting racial equality before profits. How is that even controversial?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:04 pm Good for the NFL for putting racial equality before profits. How is that even controversial?
Just putting numbers out there. Draw your own conclusions.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Good job, NFL!!!
Yep. Just the numbers with no editorializing there.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

These games aren’t linear. People watch or don’t watch a game for different reasons. I watched five games yesterday. Not everyone is a lunatic. Lots of fans watch their team play, and not every game imaginable.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:11 pm
Good job, NFL!!!
You're the one equating that statement and the numbers to race.
As others have pointed out, there can be a myriad of reasons why ratings are down.
You're coming off like a one trick pony....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

stimpy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:15 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:11 pm
Good job, NFL!!!
You're the one equating that statement and the numbers to race.
As others have pointed out, there can be a myriad of reasons why ratings are down.
You're coming off like a one trick pony....
If you say so. I'll let others decide who is the one trick pony here.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

:horse:

I made that initial statement 4 days ago. There have been a few discussions based on it after the fact.
Race wasnt mentioned until you brought it up.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

stimpy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:18 pm :horse:

I made that initial statement 4 days ago. There have been a few discussions based on it after the fact.
Race wasnt mentioned until you brought it up.
Well, except for the posts immediately preceding your comment. And then you said "Good job, NFL!!!" But surely you were just posting a non sequitur that had nothing to do with the commentary regarding how the NFL was handling its unity efforts and how some in the KC crowd booed those efforts.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

So now I have to read every post before my post before I can post?
Got it.

Like I said, draw your own conclusions as to why ratings are down.
Just dont project what you think my conclusions are onto me.
Fair enough?

(P.S....I watched the Bears -Lions fiasco. Please dont tell my Klan leader......)
Last edited by stimpy on Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

stimpy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:33 pm So now I have to read every post before my post before I can post?
Got it.

Fair enough?
Sorry, but that's not how it works. You can guess as to my motivations, and I can guess as to yours.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:35 pm
stimpy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:33 pm So now I have to read every post before my post before I can post?
Got it.

Fair enough?
Sorry, but that's not how it works. You can guess as to my motivations, and I can guess as to yours.
Whatever floats your boat there, bud.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Enough

Post by Enough »

Got it.

Fair enough?

(P.S....I watched the Bears -Lions fiasco. Please dont tell my Klan leader......)
Well, it is pretty standard operating procedure to at least check the most recent posts in a thread before posting-- plus it shows you are engaging with the posters and having a real conversation (and not doing a drive-by posting). And when I personally don't check, I often regret it later. I hope that's not too much of a burden for you to carry lol.

For me, I greatly enjoyed having football to watch again and can't wait to see my Broncos roll tonight with fears that the season won't last.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Uh are we leaking over from R&P? If so I'm REALLY glad I don't engage there.

I thought the anti-racist statements were great myself.
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Lorini wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:50 pm Uh are we leaking over from R&P? If so I'm REALLY glad I don't engage there.

You would think an admin would know better.....
And yeah....they done run me outta R&P with this kind of crap. God forbid you have an opposing opinion or try to express a different point of view to the click.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stimpy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:53 pm
Lorini wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:50 pm Uh are we leaking over from R&P? If so I'm REALLY glad I don't engage there.

And yeah....they done run me outta R&P with this kind of crap. God forbid you have an opposing opinion or try to express a different point of view to the click.
I thought you were saying that you weren't making a point when you posted the ratings before?
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:13 pmNot everyone is a lunatic.
Hey, hey, hey. The clinical term they prefer me to use is crazy.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

stessier wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:45 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:13 pmNot everyone is a lunatic.
Hey, hey, hey. The clinical term they prefer me to use is crazy.
We're Pink Floyd fans here, and definitely not Fat Albert. Lunatic shall be the chosen term.
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:40 pm

I thought you were saying that you weren't making a point when you posted the ratings before?
I wasnt trying to make a point, other than the ratings were down so much. Never intimated it had anything specifically to do with the NFLs racial or political stance.
And I was referring to the fact that not only do certain people like to push what they think your objective or opinion is on you in R&P, but that they also want to do it outside of R&P too, apparently.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wouldn't it be clique?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:33 pm

Wouldn't it be clique?
Gawd, I wish people would stop words in his mouth and making so many assumptions. He would never presume to accuse R&P of being a clique, just that people use their mouses to get there. The nerve of you people!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ænima wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:23 pm Gawd, I wish people would stop words in his mouth and making so many assumptions. He would never presume to accuse R&P of being a clique, just that people use their mouses to get there. The nerve of you people!
:lol:

And I kind of know Stimpy and that makes it even funnier. :D
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Yeah....I'll give that one props.
Too shay!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I have to admit that I'm impressed by your commitment to the bit. Heck, maybe some folks are even fooled by your "I'm just giving numbers/asking questions" shtick.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:14 pm I have to admit that I'm impressed by your commitment to the bit. Heck, maybe some folks are even fooled by your "I'm just giving numbers/asking questions" shtick.
If I had a mustache I'd be twirling it right now.........
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:14 pm I have to admit that I'm impressed by your commitment to the bit. Heck, maybe some folks are even fooled by your "I'm just giving numbers/asking questions" shtick.
This is a god damned thread about football. You both need to cut the shit. Now can we please get back to talking about how bad Brady sucked?
FTE
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scraper wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:10 am
This is a god damned thread about football. You both need to cut the shit. Now can we please get back to talking about how bad Brady sucked?
I think we have enough evidence at this point to conclude that Tom Brady was a mediocre quarterback at best who won championships only through the reincarnation of Vince Lombardy.
Black Lives Matter.