2020 NCAA Football Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: 2020 NCAA Football Thread

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That's insane. $8M? I bet they have some bitchin' parties though. Talking Elon Musk sex "robots" and bottlenose dolphin sushi type shit.

I've been to the B1G HQ. It shares space with a Fogo De Chao which has to be worth something but they still seem high compared to the others. Then again, proximity to O'Hare is worth a lot. And they GOT the YoutTube TV deal (80% of why I got YoutTubeTV).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

@CBSSports can confirm @BigTen is considering a schedule that would start the season Thanksgiving week. Could be pushed back to original January start date. Story broken by @jaypo196
That's...um...gonna be a bit of an problem for Utah if the P12 follows suit, since they started demolishing part of the stadium last week.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I have said it before but, the Pac-12 is always going to be the red headed step-child of the Power 5 football conferences until they start all of their football games between 9am - 6pm local time and let Disney or FOX own a piece of their network.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Was Utah going to have fans in the stands if the season had started as planned?
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:21 pm Was Utah going to have fans in the stands if the season had started as planned?
That part of the remodel was originally scheduled to happen after the season ended. When it was cancelled, they decided to get a jump start on it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:23 pm
@CBSSports can confirm @BigTen is considering a schedule that would start the season Thanksgiving week. Could be pushed back to original January start date. Story broken by @jaypo196
That's...um...gonna be a bit of an problem for Utah if the P12 follows suit, since they started demolishing part of the stadium last week.

It's worthless reporting, as it's the Coaches floating the idea:
Big Ten coaches came up with the Thanksgiving idea
Wake me up when a University President and/or Chancellor speaks up in favor.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

BREAKING: #PennState's director of athletic medicine, Wayne Sebastianelli, says that cardiac MRI scans revealed that roughly 30-35 percent of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis.
From the reading I've been doing this morning, it sounds like the normal percentage of patients with myocarditis from the flu is between 2-5%. 30-35% is a very significant (and concerning) spike.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:26 pm From the reading I've been doing this morning, it sounds like the normal percentage of patients with myocarditis from the flu is between 2-5%. 30-35% is a very significant (and concerning) spike.
It doesn't say in the article how many people were tested. 35 out of 100 or 2 out of 6 would give me different levels of concern.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:26 pm
BREAKING: #PennState's director of athletic medicine, Wayne Sebastianelli, says that cardiac MRI scans revealed that roughly 30-35 percent of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis.
From the reading I've been doing this morning, it sounds like the normal percentage of patients with myocarditis from the flu is between 2-5%. 30-35% is a very significant (and concerning) spike.
now I notice this thread is bumped.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:30 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:26 pm From the reading I've been doing this morning, it sounds like the normal percentage of patients with myocarditis from the flu is between 2-5%. 30-35% is a very significant (and concerning) spike.
It doesn't say in the article how many people were tested. 35 out of 100 or 2 out of 6 would give me different levels of concern.
The Radio said not all colleges are releasing their positive testing results and THE OSU is one of them, so you are not likely to be able to look up nor extrapolate the numbers you are looking for.

Edit here are few old individual teams

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2020/ ... to-campus/

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/ ... 5f145.html

So that's at least 50 tested

Which would suggest more positives were identified than they were reporting on the 14th of last month
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/29 ... yocarditis
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Utah just furloughed their entire athletic department, including coaches and the AD.
The University of Utah will furlough every employee in its athletic department, including Athletic Director Mark Harlan and team coaches because of financial shortfalls in a global pandemic.

Harlan released a statement about the furloughs Friday and said the decision was "difficult — but necessary" to mitigate the financial impact of the loss of games because of COVID-19.

"These changes include furloughs of various lengths for every Department employee—including me, our executive cabinet and our head and assistant coaches. In addition, in some select cases, we have also eliminated positions through reductions in force. We also have eliminated all performance bonuses until further notice," Harlan said in a statement.
Fffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu... :shock:

EDIT: More details coming out that aren’t nearly as dire as this article made it sound. The football coaches said they and other staff are on “furlough Fridays”, so they’re really just out one day a week. Not nearly the athletic department apocalypse the report mare it sound like.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
FiveThirtyEight @FiveThirtyEight · 3h
Epidemiologists are worried about the consequences of college football amid a pandemic. https://53eig.ht/3bKxo8C
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

At UNC, no fans will be at the game and I think the athletes are tested pretty regularly. I know at least some of those other schools are planning to have fans in the stadium, though.
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

That 538 article really makes the conferences that are playing look bad. Looking at this Saturday's (week 2) TV schedule is depressing. A lot of intra-conference ACC games and the Big 12 vs fodder. Not much else of interest. Things don't really "kick off" in 3/5 earnest until week 4. Man 2020 is so bad.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It's looking more and more like the Big Ten will vote to resume the season, and I'm seeing 10/17 as the most likely start date (which would permit an 8 game schedule plus conference championship before the playoff field is announced). The alleged key is the advent of rapid rise testing, which will quickly and efficiently allow teams to identify and quarantine infected individuals. All this while the campuses of MSU and Wisconsin are in full lockdown due to outbreaks, Virginia Tech has had its season opener canceled twice due to outbreaks, and Memphis has had to shut down its football activity due to an outbreak rumored to have been sparked by a party bus. Reports like this are all over the place, but I'm reading much of this from here (WARNING: Heavy Michigan bias).

My suspicion is that the Big Ten gambled and lost. They figured that if they got out front and canceled things first, at a minimum the Pac 12 and ACC would follow, with possibly the Big 12 and SEC considering it. They'd be able to claim leadership and the high ground. With the ACC deciding to play, however, the pressure turned to the Big Ten to resume play for financial, public pressure, and competitive/recruiting purposes. The rapid testing is undoubtedly important, but it feels like trying to find some kind of quasi-credible cover for why the conference is backtracking.

I haven't heard anything about the PAC 12.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Other than Virginia Tech, it seems that the ACC has been doing pretty well in terms of case numbers for the football team. It actually helps that many of the schools have gone to virtual learning, making the campuses almost like a bubble. I guess we'll see over the next week if there is a spike in cases after this first week of games.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:17 am I haven't heard anything about the PAC 12.
Nor will you, I suspect. The California schools are all being overly cautious, and I would be very surprised if they budge on this.

It'll suck to be the only conference left out, but I'm kinda over it at this point. This season's going to be an asterisk-ed shitshow anyways.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:17 am I haven't heard anything about the PAC 12.
Nor will you, I suspect. The California schools are all being overly cautious, and I would be very surprised if they budge on this.

It'll suck to be the only conference left out, but I'm kinda over it at this point. This season's going to be an asterisk-ed shitshow anyways.
Currently, it's not the schools but the local health departments. Group practices still not allowed.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Other than Virginia Tech, it seems that the ACC has been doing pretty well in terms of case numbers for the football team. It actually helps that many of the schools have gone to virtual learning, making the campuses almost like a bubble. I guess we'll see over the next week if there is a spike in cases after this first week of games.
It's important to see what happens in week 2 & 3 of play. A couple of schools played one game and then couldn't play this past weekend. That could expand this week.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:20 pm
It'll suck to be the only conference left out, but I'm kinda over it at this point.
If it makes you feel better, no Pac-12 team was going to make the playoffs anyways. :wink:
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:17 am Memphis has had to shut down its football activity due to an outbreak rumored to have been sparked by a party bus.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:30 pm
It'll suck to be the only conference left out, but I'm kinda over it at this point.
If it makes you feel better, no Pac-12 team was going to make the playoffs anyways. :wink:
Oh trust me, that was never a concern.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC

Post by JCC »

The fact that the Pac 12 has faced ZERO pressure to start playing football says everything about it as a conference. They are the red headed stepchild of the Power 5 who is too hardheaded to realize they need to air their football games in more East Coast friendly times. Half the country doesn't see a lot of the important Pac 12 games, because they are on too late. They really need to wake up and realize that while CFB is a regional sport - national relevance for their conference in football is critically important. There is a reason that ACC teams make much more money than Pac 12 teams do despite the fact it's easy (and pretty much not debatable) to say that the Pac 12 has more good teams than the ACC (even if none are as great as Clemson who is propping up the ACC single handedly).

I mostly found last weekend depressing with basically only ACC games being played. This weekend is only marginally better with the American conference coming out of hibernation. Really, it's not until week 4 where we finally get 3/5 of the power 5 playing in this bizzare, watered down season. Man 2020 just sucks.
Black Lives Matter

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Michigan State's President probably has more important things on their mind:
EAST LANSING – Residents of nearly two dozen fraternity and sorority houses and seven large rental houses in East Lansing have been ordered to quarantine themselves for the next two weeks while health officials try to stop a major COVID-19 outbreak.

Ingham County Health Officer Linda Vail issued an emergency order on Monday pertaining to 30 large houses. She said the outbreak is tied to a lack of cooperation from some students.

"I do not take this lightly, but there is an outbreak centered on Michigan State University, and it is quickly becoming a crisis," Vail said in a news release. "The surge in cases we have seen over the past few weeks is alarming. I am disheartened to add that this outbreak is being fueled in part by a lack of cooperation and compliance from some MSU students ..."

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Texas Tech goes the herd immunity route

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/sport ... 9AwIPwr0wn
LUBBOCK, Texas — Since Texas Tech University began testing football players for COVID-19 in June, 75 members of the team have tested positive for the virus, according to numbers provided by Texas Tech athletics.
Last edited by Pyperkub on Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isgrimnur

2020 NCAA Football Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

:doh: :hawk:
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

ThIs is me too. I just don't care this year
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

GungHo wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:27 am

Overly cautious? Please explain/define. We've known for over almost six months that an effective response will in part be measured by it feeling over-cautious and over-restrictive. That was actually going to be a defining characteristic of an appropriate response. What has actually changed in 6 months?

Mask wearing? - a bit, but too many idiots.
Vaccine? - nope
Changes in infectivity? - none that I've seen
Changes in medical responses? - a bit, but not much
Changes in testing? - yes.
Changes in College Student behavior - not much.
Changes in Social Distancing - a bit, but see College Student behavior and Mask Wearing
changes in medical outcomes - yes - negative, looking at heart/lung condition evidence in survivors
Changes in Contact Tracing - it has ramped up, but see College Student behavior again.

Overall, the US has made some slight gains, but we still appear to have a 3rd world response here.

I care, especially as a season ticket holder. However, I do place my health and my family/friends, as well as the students above my desire for college football. The driving factor needs to be the welfare of the students above all else, and frankly, that hasn't been the case in the schools which are playing, or even attempting to do so. Especially because these are college students who think they and everyone they know are immortal.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:51 am Overly cautious? Please explain/define.
Overly cautious as compared to all the other P5 schools who simply decided to throw the football doors open and hope for the best.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Per head coach Ed Orgeron, most of LSU players have caught COVID-19.

Wait, wasn't one of the selling points for having the season was that players in their quasi-bubbles would be less likely to get the virus than if they had no football?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

College? Quasi-bubble?

:lol:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:51 am
GungHo wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:27 am

Overly cautious? Please explain/define. We've known for over almost six months that an effective response will in part be measured by it feeling over-cautious and over-restrictive. That was actually going to be a defining characteristic of an appropriate response. What has actually changed in 6 months?

Mask wearing? - a bit, but too many idiots.
Vaccine? - nope
Changes in infectivity? - none that I've seen
Changes in medical responses? - a bit, but not much
Changes in testing? - yes.
Changes in College Student behavior - not much.
Changes in Social Distancing - a bit, but see College Student behavior and Mask Wearing
changes in medical outcomes - yes - negative, looking at heart/lung condition evidence in survivors
Changes in Contact Tracing - it has ramped up, but see College Student behavior again.

Overall, the US has made some slight gains, but we still appear to have a 3rd world response here.

I care, especially as a season ticket holder. However, I do place my health and my family/friends, as well as the students above my desire for college football. The driving factor needs to be the welfare of the students above all else, and frankly, that hasn't been the case in the schools which are playing, or even attempting to do so. Especially because these are college students who think they and everyone they know are immortal.
Don't care, as in 'I have zero power to affect any of the decisions being made by these schools, therefore I'm not going to get upset with things one way or the other'.
I don't think they should be playing and so far I've avoided watching even so much as a highlight from CFB. I hope I can continue to do that; I have canceled all of my normal trips I'd take in a season, so at least that's something. Pro athletes are one thing, but these are kids and we should be doing better by them.

Plus since Texas isn't going to get the chance to get back LSU this year it's a bs season anyway, not to mention, how the F do we have a "national championship" game if you don't have ~25 of the best programs in the country competing?
It's all so dumb
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

GungHo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:21 am Don't care, as in 'I have zero power to affect any of the decisions being made by these schools, therefore I'm not going to get upset with things one way or the other'.
I don't think they should be playing and so far I've avoided watching even so much as a highlight from CFB. I hope I can continue to do that; I have canceled all of my normal trips I'd take in a season, so at least that's something. Pro athletes are one thing, but these are kids and we should be doing better by them.

Plus since Texas isn't going to get the chance to get back LSU this year it's a bs season anyway, not to mention, how the F do we have a "national championship" game if you don't have ~25 of the best programs in the country competing?
It's all so dumb
Again, it's not he Pac-12 preventing the CA schools from practicing in larger groups, it's local/state Gov't. these aren't school/conference decisions. At least get it right before bitching about it ;)

And if you saw the Texas Tech/LSU info this week, it's probably the right decision.

It's not "dumb" to not play the games, it's safety requirements. Playing the games is actually the dumb move based on what we are seeing and the minimal progress we've made.

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Have I mentioned....oh....nevermind......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:44 pm
GungHo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:21 am Don't care, as in 'I have zero power to affect any of the decisions being made by these schools, therefore I'm not going to get upset with things one way or the other'.

It's all so dumb
Again, it's not he Pac-12 preventing the CA schools from practicing in larger groups, it's local/state Gov't. these aren't school/conference decisions. At least get it right before bitching about it ;)

And if you saw the Texas Tech/LSU info this week, it's probably the right decision.

It's not "dumb" to not play the games, it's safety requirements. Playing the games is actually the dumb move based on what we are seeing and the minimal progress we've made.
Don't forget that Virginia Tech has already postponed its season opener TWICE due to Covid issues on campus.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It's all so dumb

Did you and I read two different posts from GungHo? I read his post that it's better to not play this year than to play, and they way they're going about playing is half-assed and dumb.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Big Ten is on:
The Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors (COP/C) adopted significant medical protocols including daily antigen testing, enhanced cardiac screening and an enhanced data-driven approach when making decisions about practice/competition. The COP/C voted unanimously to resume the football season starting the weekend of October 23-24, 2020.
for now...

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:57 pm

It's all so dumb

Did you and I read two different posts from GungHo? I read his post that it's better to not play this year than to play, and they way they're going about playing is half-assed and dumb.
Greedy. I was more focused on the "Don't Care" comment blaming the Pac-12 CA schools, when it's not the schools making the decisions.